A Type of Weapon That's Sorely Missing

I want to raise a point about a type of weapon that’s sorely missing from the Halo sandbox: damage over time (DOT).

Common in other games but not necessarily shooters, in Halo 3, we had fire grenades and the flamethrower, but both of them were sort of limited and weren’t expressly DOT weapons. I’ve been wondering about the possibility of a DOT gun in Halo and how it could work, and then I realized we almost had one that might have worked perfectly. This weapon didn’t really pan out, and I’m wondering if making it a DOT would have made it work better.

I’m talking about the plasma launcher.

The plasma launcher essentially fired (they’re totally not) plasma grenades, but what if, instead of firing blue gobs that exploded, it fired white-hot balls of plasma that burned like napalm?

One direct hit wouldn’t kill a Spartan, but it would do a lot of damage after a few seconds. Two would be fatal unless the Spartan got into a regen field (sandbox integration!). The gobs could spread on a surface, and you could coat the ground to create an area that, if players walked into, would deliver DOT. With this application, players could secure doorways, for example, or even dissuade enemy players from picking up weapons or objectives. Perhaps the plasma could be transferable so that, if you shoot a player and he bumps into another player, that player gets some of the goo on him.

Final adjustments: remove tracking entirely and increase projectile speed dramatically.

I just see it as an example of a gun that we could look at as more than just a weapon that deals direct damage and could be almost seen as a tool. This mode of thinking could open up a whole new branch of creative Halo weapons.

What about you? Are there any other DOT concepts you could come up with that might work in Halo?

While not a weapon the promethean grenade does this

EMP grenade bro

> I want to raise a point about a type of weapon that’s sorely missing from the Halo sandbox: damage over time (DOT).
>
> Common in other games but not necessarily shooters, in Halo 3, we had fire grenades and the flamethrower, but both of them were sort of limited and weren’t expressly DOT weapons. I’ve been wondering about the possibility of a DOT gun in Halo and how it could work, and then I realized we almost had one that might have worked perfectly. This weapon didn’t really pan out, and I’m wondering if making it a DOT would have made it work better.
>
> I’m talking about the plasma launcher.
>
> The plasma launcher essentially fired (they’re totally not) plasma grenades, but what if, instead of firing blue gobs that exploded, it fired white-hot balls of plasma that burned like napalm?
>
> One direct hit wouldn’t kill a Spartan, but it would do a lot of damage after a few seconds. Two would be fatal unless the Spartan got into a regen field (sandbox integration!). The gobs could spread on a surface, and you could coat the ground to create an area that, if players walked into, would deliver DOT. With this application, players could secure doorways, for example, or even dissuade enemy players from picking up weapons or objectives. Perhaps the plasma could be transferable so that, if you shoot a player and he bumps into another player, that player gets some of the goo on him.
>
> Final adjustments: remove tracking entirely and increase projectile speed dramatically.
>
> I just see it as an example of a gun that we could look at as more than just a weapon that deals direct damage and could be almost seen as a tool. This mode of thinking could open up a whole new branch of creative Halo weapons.
>
> What about you? Are there any other DOT concepts you could come up with that might work in Halo?

I was kind of thinking about the lack of a DOT weapon the other day too. I like your concept, sounds very interesting. I wish 343 was a little more creative in their approach and had less redundant weapons.

I don’t know if DOT weapons work with Halo’s fast paced gameplay. If there were to be one, I wouldn’t know how to really balance it. Perhaps make it a semi-power weapon, like the needler in Halo 4?

My idea of it would be a hitscan, slow ROF, mid range weapon that shoots electric spikes out. 3 landed would kill (over a period of time). 2 would drain the shields, 1 would drain the shields by half. 6 shots per clip.

But as this weapon is DOT, it wouldn’t drain the shields right away. It would be over a couple seconds perhaps? If you got all 3 hits up close, the person would still have seconds to live and fight before dying.

2 shots would drain the shields after around 3-5 seconds. After it’s done draining, it would take another 5 seconds for the shields to recharge (because that’s how it works).

So while 3 shots landed would kill, but still give them the opportunity to kill. If you were to land 1 or 2, this would leave them at a handicap for a long time (around 10 seconds).

But that could slow down gameplay. If you get hit by that weapon and just go around the corner to hide and wait for your shields to recharge.

But then again landing all 3 shots would be cool, because if the person who gets shot runs away, they’ll die in like 5 seconds.

I don’t know, poorly thought out weapon idea in like 5 mins. Tell me what you think.

Its actually the pulse grenade. Like your idea it creats a field that deals damage over time if you are in it. It is said to not be very powerful but useful for blocking routes and controlling the field like you said you wante to use a dot weapon to spray the ground with.

> EMP grenade bro

Yeah, that’s more of a damage field, but sure, it’s a good one. I’m thinking more about something you’d attach to a player and tick off damage over time, and it may or may not be stackable (two hits = twice as much damage over the same time, etc.).

> I don’t know if DOT weapons work with Halo’s fast paced gameplay. If there were to be one, I wouldn’t know how to really balance it. Perhaps make it a semi-power weapon, like the needler in Halo 4?
>
> My idea of it would be a hitscan, slow ROF, mid range weapon that shoots electric spikes out. 3 landed would kill (over a period of time). 2 would drain the shields, 1 would drain the shields by half. 6 shots per clip.
>
> But as this weapon is DOT, it wouldn’t drain the shields right away. It would be over a couple seconds perhaps? If you got all 3 hits up close, the person would still have seconds to live and fight before dying.
>
> 2 shots would drain the shields after around 3-5 seconds. After it’s done draining, it would take another 5 seconds for the shields to recharge (because that’s how it works).
>
> So while 3 shots landed would kill, but still give them the opportunity to kill. If you were to land 1 or 2, this would leave them at a handicap for a long time (around 10 seconds).
>
> But that could slow down gameplay. If you get hit by that weapon and just go around the corner to hide and wait for your shields to recharge.
>
> But then again landing all 3 shots would be cool, because if the person who gets shot runs away, they’ll die in like 5 seconds.
>
> I don’t know, poorly thought out weapon idea in like 5 mins. Tell me what you think.

So…like an automatic taser? I LOVE it.

i gots an idea!
grenade launcher + firebombs = epic DOT weapon :smiley:

> So…like an automatic taser? I LOVE it.

I wouldn’t say automatic. :stuck_out_tongue: The ROF is slow, as to not be a power weapon. It being hitscan and mid range, each shot has to count, but has 6 per clip to leave a little room for error.

So you could essentially get 2 kills per clip if you were to land 3 shots each on 2 opponents. But if you miss a shot, you’ll leave one a live with a handi-cap for a good 10 seconds.

But the DOT leaves your kills open to being stolen.

> > So…like an automatic taser? I LOVE it.
>
> I wouldn’t say automatic. :stuck_out_tongue: The ROF is slow, as to not be a power weapon. It being hitscan and mid range, each shot has to count, but has 6 per clip to leave a little room for error.
>
> So you could essentially get 2 kills per clip if you were to land 3 shots each on 2 opponents. But if you miss a shot, you’ll leave one a live with a handi-cap for a good 10 seconds.

Hey, whatever. As long as I can run around and yell, “don’t taze me, bro!”

> But the DOT leaves your kills open to being stolen.

Yeah, that may be why there are no DOT guns in Halo.

A bolt-action sniper rifle that fires radioactive/poisonous rounds?