A True Skill System Will Keep Halo Alive

Alright, so I’ve always been a fan of the 1-50 ranking system, but this is pretty much why.

In Reach, many times you will see a weak player vs a very skilled player. Happens about 75% of the time in my experience, at least.

In Halo 3 when I was learning to play an online FPS, it was nice being stuck at a certain level and having my type of competition. Once I learned to get better, I could rank up a bit more to get to the people in my skill level.

Now for people who are poor at this game, especially in Reach, I’ve seen too many times where they just can’t be having fun coming across people who will flat out slaughter them (I’ve been guilty of quitting against teams of 4 or a team of 2 with over a 2.0 kdr in MLG).

This should NEVER happen. Halo is a game that consist of skill to play, but for people either learning or that love to spray and pray, they should join the others who want to do th same thing.

If this doesn’t exist, it will kill Halo 4 more than any armor ability, perk, or custom load out.

Nobody, even the casual, likes being slaughtered in a game. Worry more about fixing this, 343i.

Edit: I’m NOT saying to bring back the 1-50 visible system. I don’t care if it’s visible at all. It’s the true skill system I’m referring to, not the “ranking” system.

One reason why they are not going to is because people would make second accounts and derank themselves. So I’m glad they are not going back to that.

Whose skill? That’s the problem I have with all this “skill” talk. Just because you were awesome at Halo 2 or 3 doesn’t mean you should be automatically awesome at every single Halo game. Things change and if you end up not being good at it because of that then that’s the way the world works. It doesn’t stop other people from being “Pro” at playing Reach. A professional Basketball Player wouldn’t be awesome at Baseball you know.

Arguing that a game should be more like another game just because you were good at that game is just stupid and childish. Halo Reach may not be your sport, and there is nothing stopping you from playing Halo 3.

> Whose skill? That’s the problem I have with all this “skill” talk. Just because you were awesome at Halo 2 or 3 doesn’t mean you should be automatically awesome at every single Halo game. Things change and if you end up not being good at it because of that then that’s the way the world works. It doesn’t stop other people from being “Pro” at playing Reach. A professional Basketball Player wouldn’t be awesome at Baseball you know.
>
> Arguing that a game should be more like another game just because you were good at that game is just stupid and childish. Halo Reach may not be your sport, and there is nothing stopping you from playing Halo 3.

Lol what?

I’m saying once someone gets good at Halo 4, they should be ranked up with others who are good at, wait for it…Halo 4!

People that are bad should be matched with people that are bad. People that are good should be matched with people that are good. Never should they be matched with each other.

> Whose skill? That’s the problem I have with all this “skill” talk. Just because you were awesome at Halo 2 or 3 doesn’t mean you should be automatically awesome at every single Halo game. Things change and if you end up not being good at it because of that then that’s the way the world works. It doesn’t stop other people from being “Pro” at playing Reach. A professional Basketball Player wouldn’t be awesome at Baseball you know.
>
> Arguing that a game should be more like another game just because you were good at that game is just stupid and childish. Halo Reach may not be your sport, and there is nothing stopping you from playing Halo 3.

Not really his point…

Anyways, hear me out here:

Reach did have background TrueSkill, it just didn’t work. At all.

If Halo had a background (You can’t see it) Halo 3 style system, it might work since there wouldn’t be much of a point to cheat to get a high rank.

Also, 1-50 is a joke. 1-200 would be better. Or more.

The gameplay mechanics and balance need to back it up with a ranking system. Sub par gameplay really brings the rest of the experience (not saying anything against Halo 4 mind you.)

I agree though, after putting up with Reach’s lax trueskill system, 343 really needs to step it up in this department. It’s not fun for me when i get paired up against .60s against an MM warriors and i know it’s frustrating to enjoy matches when you are getting steaked constantly because the opposition is beyond you in skill level.

No system can ever hope to eliminate the chances of having a bad match but it certainly would benefit the player if it was more consistent in matching players of similar skill. This is where i think some are making a mistake. No one is asking for a perfect system because that cannot exist. It’s about having things bigger and better; improving what came before and Halo 4 can certainly improve where Reach came up short.

> > Whose skill? That’s the problem I have with all this “skill” talk. Just because you were awesome at Halo 2 or 3 doesn’t mean you should be automatically awesome at every single Halo game. Things change and if you end up not being good at it because of that then that’s the way the world works. It doesn’t stop other people from being “Pro” at playing Reach. A professional Basketball Player wouldn’t be awesome at Baseball you know.
> >
> > Arguing that a game should be more like another game just because you were good at that game is just stupid and childish. Halo Reach may not be your sport, and there is nothing stopping you from playing Halo 3.
>
> Lol what?
>
> I’m saying once someone gets good at Halo 4, they should be ranked up with others who are good at, wait for it…Halo 4!
>
> People that are bad should be matched with people that are bad. People that are good should be matched with people that are good. Never should they be matched with each other.

I was ranting because I hate it when people talk about “skill” in such a way. To stay on topic with what you’re saying though, people would often cheat or be -Yoinks!- in Halo 3 on purpose. For example…

There were people who were legitimately good at Halo 3 who would create a new profile and then start from scratch so they could be teamed up with lower players, (because their skill level was set back to zero and they had to work their way up to 50). It became less fun when you were paired with people who were better than you and they knew it.

There were also those who would boost and actually suck at the game but because they boosted they became Generals and therefor ended up being teamed up with Generals. And because they sucked they would then bring down their team.

See how it sucks that way? There needs to be something else other than “You’re a 30 so you’re paired with 30s” and what not.

Why is Halo always about skill and competition?

> Why is Halo always about skill and competition?

It is but a part the a whole though the counter argument for this would be “Why is Halo always about liking everything and flaming does that don’t?”. It’s all about perspective and viewpoints really.

Competitive MP will always have a place in Halo, just like casual gametypes, Campaign and other experiences like Forge or custom games.

I agree, a good ‘Matchmaking’ system should be matching people of similar skill. Reach failed epically in this department despite this apparent hidden Trueskill.

Also, I think it is good to have a visible rank/number as it shows where you are in relation to other players. Otherwise you could get the impression that you are a bad player, but it could be the case that players in your game are higher ranks (the reciprocal applies also).

Slightly off topic, but a frequent counter argument, Ifail to see where stat flaming is an issue, after all:
-It’s a 17+ game (I think) so the players should be able deal with it appropriately.
-In essence it is some dork shouting some numbers at you. If that’s too upsetting, I would recommend a trip to the psychiatrists.

You can either be patient and have longer search times for other players of similar level, or you can search for faster matchups that has a chance of grabbing players of any level. You can’t have both (at least without a drop-in feature).

and frankly based on this forum demanding killtimes as short as one second, they’ll be doomed with uneven matchups.

I agree there needs to be a rank system for sake of well balanced matchups and to give people something to strive for when playing besides aestetic(spelling?) unlocks.

This system should be based solely on wins and lossess. It should also share some similarities with what Reach Arena did. There should be seasons but unlike in Reach your rank will have nothing to do with your personal performance, only if you win or lose, and it wouldnt rank you based on your performance in a small sample of the total matches you played. Rather all of your games would count towards your rank up until the season ends. Ranks we be broken up into win percentage brackets. For example 90-100% win loss ratio highest rank and so on down the list with each different bracket relating to subsequent win/loss ratios.

Seasons would come into play so that no unforseen issues arise as did in Halo3 where you would eventually become rank locked or i would take winning 27 out of 30 games to rank up. That actually happened to me when i got my first 50. Seasons also provide the benefit of allowing players to experience different levels of competition at the beginning of each season and possibly learning a thing or two.

In order to give the seasons even more meaning and to prevent those, who would choose from making new accounts all the time, ranks would then be assigned based on your aggregate bracket placements over a set number of seasons. So in essence there would be two ranks. One for your season bracket placement, that resets on seasons end, and an overally rank placed in your service record or by your name in lobbies indicating your overall performance in all seasons. If this were to be implemented Halo would experience revival that could once again catapult it to the top on xbox lives most played charts. Without it i forsee H4 losing a good deal of its population within four months of releasing due to the fact that it is inherently a more skill based shooter.

> One reason why they are not going to is because people would make second accounts and derank themselves. So I’m glad they are not going back to that.

I love when people say this .

Fact :
Halo Reach had both Derankers and 2nd accounts along with paying people to get them higher Rankes

Nothing in Reach’s Ranking systems fixed any problems from the 1-50 that halo 3 had .

I see a flaw in my idea in that what would stop people from only playing a few games and winning them all then stopping to get them into the top bracket for each season. To prevent this there would need to be a minimum match requirement of 100 games to be eligible for placement within a season bracket. There would be four seasons per year pertaining to each season of the weather and each one lasting three months. That way playing a hundred games should not be an issue.

Also as far as ranks create issues with match accessibility in my system in wouldnt be as ridiculous as H3. Since in each season there would only be ten ranks 1-10,10-20,30-40 and so on up to 100. Each of these sets would be win/loss ratios so the distribution of players would be much smaller then what we saw in H3.

The overall rank could be much more diverse. Since win/loss stats are already being recorded it would be easy to break down those ranks even further giving the highest rank to those who win, lets say, 94% of their matches or higher.