A Suggestion on Fixing Halo;s Ranking System

Does any one think it is possible to have a 1-50 ranked system, but even when reaching 50, you would have to maintain that 50 by continuing to win continuously on that 50, let’s say at least every week you’d have to win at least three games to show you are legit or you will de-rank? I think this would scare people seeking to buy 50’s into thinking “now I have to actually show I am good, I don’t think I should pay someone X-amount of money to get my 50 unlegit”. Now solving “host-booters”, if host-booters can not win multiple games without people lagging out or being kicked offline they will not be able to play matchmaking until they have a stable connection or something like that, because host-booting is what most angered me when playing Halo 3. Maybe these things would solve buying or boosting 50’s because the buyer would have to keep up their supposed “skill”? Fortunately, I got my 50 legit and the journey was challenging but rewarding, ranking up to 50 was a good chunk of my teenage life and finally achieving my 50 was amazing.

Also I believe we should have both Ranked and Social playlists because even if people flame you because you have a lower rank than them, you are able to mute and block communications with them, so instead of fighting back be the bigger person and just mute them. Not all 50’s were mean, it’s just the majority of them were. And if you want to play to have fun without caring about W/L or K/D we can have social playlists to avoid competitiveness, because I too like to be competitive and when I play on a ranked playlist I only look for a win, and if I play social I play with friends and try to get a win but mainly focus on having fun, I played lots of social and ranked on Halo 3, and there were a bunch of 50’s who completely avoided social, I have been criticized for playing social and having a 50, but that’s just how they want to play I can’t blame them. But having separate playlist can solve many arguments and muting people can solve even more.

Maybe this isn’t possible at all, but I just wanted to put in my thoughts. And if you would like to add things or criticize I welcome it.

> Does any one think it is possible to have a 1-50 ranked system, but even when reaching 50, you would have to maintain that 50 by continuing to win continuously on that 50, let’s say at least every week you’d have to win at least three games to show you are legit or you will de-rank? I think this would scare people seeking to buy 50’s into thinking “now I have to actually show I am good, I don’t think I should pay someone X-amount of money to get my 50 unlegit”. Now solving “host-booters”, if host-booters can not win multiple games without people lagging out or being kicked offline they will not be able to play matchmaking until they have a stable connection or something like that, because host-booting is what most angered me when playing Halo 3. Maybe these things would solve buying or boosting 50’s because the buyer would have to keep up their supposed “skill”? Fortunately, I got my 50 legit and the journey was challenging but rewarding, ranking up to 50 was a good chunk of my teenage life and finally achieving my 50 was amazing.

You have great ideas, only if people saw this post, I don’t think anyone has thought of these ideas.

Decay is dumb. Playing Halo shouldn’t be a chore. What if I got 50s in playlists I didn’t enjoy like Swat? While I’m good enough to be a 50, I wouldn’t want to be forced to play on them if I didn’t want to.

A player shouldn’t lose out, lose their progress or suffer because they aren’t playing the game for a certain period of time.

Maybe winning every month or every three months would be more logical, because bought 50’s always end up not playing on their 50’s and usually flame lower ranks even though they have the same skill level as them. Are legit 50’s or people who honestly work on their ranks not tired of people who buy ranks and can’t even support the time and dedication spent being good at halo?? I mean yes we can get 50’s I occasionally played on my 50, I was not scared to lose my 50 and I haven’t lost my 50 yet so I am willing to keep my 50 by proving I got it legit every month or so.

I think this is a good idea and could be a great way to bring back the 1-50 system and skill to Halo. I wouldn’t mind having to prove my skill every once in a while. There could be like a set date from the last time that you played in each playlist, and after like three months you would have to go in and play to try and retain your level. If you lost it, you would simply have to keep playing until you earn it back. This would put another competitive feature into halo. If you did not play halo for like three months at all, your rank wouldn’t just drop, you would just simply be asked the next time you got onto that game to prove yourself. This would discourage selling accounts and people paying boosters to get them to the highest level since they would lose it anyway.

> Decay is dumb. Playing Halo shouldn’t be a chore. What if I got 50s in playlists I didn’t enjoy like Swat? While I’m good enough to be a 50, I wouldn’t want to be forced to play on them if I didn’t want to.

if you don’t enjoy it don’t play it, decay gets rid of of cheating because those cheated accounts have to actually play and succeed at 50 high to keep that 50 otherwise they’re just going to go down.

besides, if you’re a competitive player you only play in ranked so its not forcing you to play it, its rewarding you for your efforts

I’m getting 2 possible outcomes:

Either the "50 is still there, and you still get paired up with 50s(which might be ok), or the person actually goes down in rank and fight lesser skilled opponents.

If outcome 2 is what is going, that would do much more harm than good, especially for those that do take a break to play the crap out of other new games or other stuff by making lower skilled players potentially fight higher level opponents. This would cause people to leave the ranked since it isn’t doing its job anymore( pair people up with similar skill)

IMO, there should never be a “cap”. There should be a leader, and everyone plays the hell out of the game to top that leader.

> I’m getting 2 possible outcomes:
>
> Either the "50 is still there, and you still get paired up with 50s(which might be ok), or the person actually goes down in rank and fight lesser skilled opponents.
>
> If outcome 2 is what is going, that would do much more harm than good, especially for those that do take a break to play the crap out of other new games or other stuff by making lower skilled players potentially fight higher level opponents. This would cause people to leave the ranked since it isn’t doing its job anymore( pair people up with similar skill)
>
>
> IMO, there should never be a “cap”. There should be a leader, and everyone plays the hell out of the game to top that leader.

I had never actually ever thought of this possibility… It would be like a giant ranked leader board for the most part, and your service record could show your current world rank. As long as this didn’t get hacked like COD leader boards always do, this would be one of the best solutions. If you didn’t play constantly, your ranking would drop because people would be passing you. I sort of actually really like this idea…

> Decay is dumb. Playing Halo shouldn’t be a chore. What if I got 50s in playlists I didn’t enjoy like Swat? While I’m good enough to be a 50, I wouldn’t want to be forced to play on them if I didn’t want to.

I have to agree. Rank decay is lame imo. Main reason I never bothered with arena in Reach.

With Halo CE you got up to three of your friends together or you hooked together a bunch of Xboxs and everybody just played to win. When one team won the other team declared they were just lucky and then it was on again. The best players won and that was pretty much it. No deranking. No boosting. AFKing and camping didn’t just get you booted from the game, it got you booted from the room. Campaign got you hooked, multiplayer reeled you in. That made Halo, and Halo made Xbox.

Then they put the whole thing online and it’s never been the same. 150 bajillion threads later and we still argue about the best way to do it. Everyone is trying to figure out how to come up with a number that says they’re the Best Player Ever and everyone knows that the only thing that really matters is who won.

The best thing to do with ranks is to not have them.

> > Decay is dumb. Playing Halo shouldn’t be a chore. What if I got 50s in playlists I didn’t enjoy like Swat? While I’m good enough to be a 50, I wouldn’t want to be forced to play on them if I didn’t want to.
>
> if you don’t enjoy it don’t play it, decay gets rid of of cheating because those cheated accounts have to actually play and succeed at 50 high to keep that 50 otherwise they’re just going to go down.
>
> besides, if you’re a competitive player you only play in ranked so its not forcing you to play it, its rewarding you for your efforts

So you want people to keep cheating at level 50? It was bad enough when people would cheat to get their 50 and then go play social.

How about this, only you and your friends can see your 1-50 rank or only you can see your own rank. That way it still feels like you’re making progress.