A Story Bigger than the Halos and Forerunners?

Ok, so I haven’t been on here in quite some time. I have a tendency to sign up to forums and use them for only a week. But I was watching the E3 coverage yesterday and felt compelled to come on here to talk about Halo 4.

After watching the live stream of the press conference, I read this in a press release on CVG:

"Set in the aftermath of Halo 3, Master Chief returns to confront his own destiny and face an ancient evil that threatens the fate of the entire universe. A new trilogy begins when Halo 4 releases in 2012."
The word “destiny” seems pretty important here. I’m not a Halo: CE player (too young), but I also read this on IGN regarding terminal style easter eggs in Halo: Anniversary that will provide hints towards Halo 4:

He [Guilty Spark] then repeated a refrain familiar to Halo CE players: the Master Chief was not marooned on Halo by accident. While this seemed like the prophetic chants of an insane artificial intelligence when Halo originally released, a reasonable assumption given original developer Bungie’s fixation on rampant AI in the Marathon series which preceded Halo, 343i and Saber Interactive’s determination to link these terminals to Halo 4 indicates a deeper meaning. Perhaps Guilty Spark was right all along. Maybe the Master Chief was chosen for a greater destiny than he - or we - knew at the dawn of one of gaming’s biggest franchises. Maybe Guilty Spark’s insanity was rooted in knowledge beyond what we - or Bungie - were prepared to handle.

See the pattern here of “destiny” and fate? Of course, the second article is only a journalist’s thoughts based on a demo. But if you ask me, 343 are going to go in a completely new direction with Halo 4. Master Chief is in space, far away from all the unanswered questions left at the end of Halo 3. What if the forerunner and flood plot was just the beginning?

Notice in the CVG quote that Microsoft speak of the “fate of the entire universe”. Maybe they were just exaggerating, but I think we are going to go past the Halos and our own galaxy, into something that will affect the entire universe. Perhaps MC’s part in the original trilogy only set the events of the new trilogy in motion? I think the forerunners will be tied to whatever is unveiled, because they are so crucial to the story. But what if now they are only a piece of a much bigger puzzle? Possibly something to do with the Precursors hinted at in Halo fiction?

I’m so wrapped up in all the possibilities of this right now! Time to get ready to crack those easter eggs in Halo: Anniversary! I’ll leave it there because I could have fun guessing at this for a long time :stuck_out_tongue: What are your thoughts?

Be carefully what you read on the internet IGN are getting pretty sloppy on relaying information and CVG are better but still not entirely accurate, The only thing we know as far is what is shown in the trailer and the information Frank O’Conner has given out. Most of the rest is speculation.

Edit:
The story will become clearer soon enough,

Ok first time I’ve used this… but I would have to agree with you, with that added intel it sounds like something A LOT bigger as well. The only other knowledge I have is from reading the books and the only other thing that I can think of that could possibly even cause something like this would be a Precursor, as you mentioned. Unless they think of something else totally random to add in the mix?

But in Cryptum (I’m assuming you’ve read the books since you know about it) the Didact seemed so apprehensive about the Precursor that had left its prison.

But then when the frigate is going in towards that light at the end of the trailer it’s kind of weird… I have other theories like how the way Ghosts of Onyx ended with some Spartans and the Shield world but they’re not that interesting to be able to make a trilogy out of.

And the way that they link it in as destiny, also mentioned in Cryptum the geass used on humans by the forerunners… Maybe the Chief has something to do with that?

All we can do is wait I suppose. Cool post :slight_smile:

> Ok first time I’ve used this… but I would have to agree with you, with that added intel it sounds like something A LOT bigger as well. The only other knowledge I have is from reading the books and the only other thing that I can think of that could possibly even cause something like this would be a Precursor, as you mentioned. Unless they think of something else totally random to add in the mix?
>
> But in Cryptum (I’m assuming you’ve read the books since you know about it) the Didact seemed so apprehensive about the Precursor that had left its prison.
>
> But then when the frigate is going in towards that light at the end of the trailer it’s kind of weird… I have other theories like how the way Ghosts of Onyx ended with some Spartans and the Shield world but they’re not that interesting to be able to make a trilogy out of.
>
> And the way that they link it in as destiny, also mentioned in Cryptum the geass used on humans by the forerunners… Maybe the Chief has something to do with that?
>
> All we can do is wait I suppose. Cool post :slight_smile:

Yeah I’d render a wild guess It may have something to do with Onyx. With any luck getting to see another spartan II would be a new step for Halo.

> Yeah I’d render a wild guess It may have something to do with Onyx. With any luck getting to see another spartan II would be a new step for Halo.

That would be incredible! Imagine seeing Kelly, Linda, Fred?, Tom, Lucy, Chief Mendez and Halsey (I can’t remember who survived and who didn’t…) just chilling inside a world. Hahaha. Still another Spartan II. That would be amazing.

I’ll say what we’re all wondering in the back of our minds.

Halo 6 = Master Chief’s death?

> I’ll say what we’re all wondering in the back of our minds.
>
> Halo 6 = Master Chief’s death?

SPARTANS NEVER DIE! They’re only MIA :’(

> > I’ll say what we’re all wondering in the back of our minds.
> >
> > Halo 6 = Master Chief’s death?
>
> SPARTANS NEVER DIE! They’re only MIA :’(

My best case scenario would be an ending where it LOOKS like Master Chief died, and there’s no possible way he could come back (running into some massive star explosion or something) but then decades down the road there’s another Halo and Master Chief somehow lives.

And then maybe he has to get back to Earth or something, who knows?

I don’t know. I just don’t want him to die. :’(

> I’ll say what we’re all wondering in the back of our minds.
>
> Halo 6 = Master Chief’s death?

just thoughts…

as much as we all don’t want him to…
i give him an 85% chance of dying. more than dying though, of sacrificing himself to destroy the ultimate enemy (not the flood but as it’s been mentioned maybe the precursors? hey maybe the precursors and flood are somehow connected…). this seems to be the theme so far, what with the forerunners, reach, even new mombasa… but of course all of these were under bungie’s direction. but bungie doesn’t write it do they? maybe 343 has their own story in mind…
maybe the chief’s ultimate victory isn’t defeating the enemy, that happens all the time in the halo story, but defeating it with his life.

no clue how they’d end it if chief didn’t die though…