A Sprint Compromise

I know, one of these threads again.

However, what I am about to propose is something that I see rarely discussed when balancing out sprint.

You can tell that 343i is somewhat attempting to balance out sprint in Halo 5 by not allowing you to gain shields while sprinting. And while this is a step in the right direction, it still allows those to easily escape battles in which they should have died. And more times than not, escaping around a corner ends up giving you a distinct advantage with Halo’s radar. A well placed grenade will give you the upper hand every time.

Now to my proposal. When you lose shields you cannot sprint. I think this would be a very fair compromise to those that prefer sprint, and for those who do not. While the negative effects of sprint may not be noticeable at a lower level of Halo, they’re blatantly obvious at a higher level. (This doesn’t have to include eSports level, but simply a level in which you have a very good understanding of the game and have a good shot). Like I stated earlier, chasing is almost always a bad idea. Now you can say that maybe we should just call him out to our teammate. Yes, but let’s not act like we all play with 3 other teammates all the time and have the best communication. The game should be balanced without having to rely on having a full team.

This proposal still allows those that play casually that want to sprint and feel like they’re moving faster, but allows it to be balanced in a competitive standpoint so you cannot escape battles so easily (and you still have thruster to help you back out if need be. The two of these coupled together makes it feel like kills only happen when there is no cover to sprint/thruster to)

Oh, and before you tell me that I’m a “super soldier” and should be able to sprint all the time, if a BR can kill me in 4 bursts, 1 burst should do significant damage to prevent me from sprinting until I am 100%.

TL;DR: When you lose shields, you can’t sprint.

This is getting pretty ridiculous, honestly.

Your nerfing a feature that the game currently requires to function.
So you’re just making the player weaker and making the game even more annoying to play.

It makes you wonder how many firefights are broken off by a sprinting player actually having no shield?
If we know that then is this a worthy update to the game?

And Ramir3z77 it may require it atm but anything can change.

> 2533274819302824;2:
> This is getting pretty ridiculous, honestly.
>
> Your nerfing a feature that the game currently requires to function.
> So you’re just making the player weaker and making the game even more annoying to play.

Yes, I’m proposing a nerf because the game clearly needs it. A bump in movement speed (which has been confirmed will not making it seem like you’re too slow without sprinting)

You might be making the player weaker, but you’re making the game balanced.

Shields charge quickly, so as soon as they’re back up, go and sprint to your hearts desire.

No more compromises… Please no…

I say we nerf it to the point where pressing the Sprint button does absolutely nothing.
That’s the best route to go.

> 2717573882290994;6:
> I say we nerf it to the point where pressing the Sprint button does absolutely nothing.
> That’s the best route to go.

Lol then I would have to say “why have it?”.

> 2717573882290994;6:
> I say we nerf it to the point where pressing the Sprint button does absolutely nothing.
> That’s the best route to go.

No argument here, but I’m trying to make it where both parties can be content.

So basically you want sprint removed. Way to “compromise” moron. If 343i did as you said then no one would be content.

> 2533274850047069;1:
> I know, one of these threads again.
>
> However, what I am about to propose is something that I see rarely discussed when balancing out sprint.
>
> You can tell that 343i is somewhat attempting to balance out sprint in Halo 5 by not allowing you to gain shields while sprinting. And while this is a step in the right direction, it still allows those to easily escape battles in which they should have died. And more times than not, escaping around a corner ends up giving you a distinct advantage with Halo’s radar. A well placed grenade will give you the upper hand every time.
>
> Now to my proposal. When you lose shields you cannot sprint. I think this would be a very fair compromise to those that prefer sprint, and for those who do not. While the negative effects of sprint may not be noticeable at a lower level of Halo, they’re blatantly obvious at a higher level. (This doesn’t have to include eSports level, but simply a level in which you have a very good understanding of the game and have a good shot). Like I stated earlier, chasing is almost always a bad idea. Now you can say that maybe we should just call him out to our teammate. Yes, but let’s not act like we all play with 3 other teammates all the time and have the best communication. The game should be balanced without having to rely on having a full team.
>
> This proposal still allows those that play casually that want to sprint and feel like they’re moving faster, but allows it to be balanced in a competitive standpoint so you cannot escape battles so easily (and you still have thruster to help you back out if need be. The two of these coupled together makes it feel like kills only happen when there is no cover to sprint/thruster to)
>
> Oh, and before you tell me that I’m a “super soldier” and should be able to sprint all the time, if a BR can kill me in 4 bursts, 1 burst should do significant damage to prevent me from sprinting until I am 100%.
>
> TL;DR: When you lose shields, you can’t sprint.

First of all, you indicate how the game plays at a high level of play, but then specifically say this is not going against the casual players. You even stretch out yur justification against teamwork to empower single players more, but I you are playing a team game at a higher level, you realize that requires better teamwork, right?

If the player has no shields, they will not get away with sprint from a decent player in most cases (not always, nor never). You throw thruster in as a method for doing precisely what you disagree with (disengaging the battle). So what does this add to the balance that current updates to the gameplay do not?

If a single player gets away from battle, sprint/thruster/etc or not, the players here feel ripped off. This logic does not build a base for the better competitive community, because they already use features more optimally than regular players (in regards to sprint/SAs). And for the casual player, without shields, they should be a sitting duck, basically. A skillful shot to keep their shields down will keep them from sprinting.

Ramirez does not like sprint in Halo (and is an advocate against it here quite loudly), and yet he sees where this is heading. If people don’t enjoy the way the game plays, that doesn’t mean nerf ing everything further will make it better, especially when the game is built with those standard features pre-nerf.

> 2533274815147687;9:
> So basically you want sprint removed. Way to “compromise” moron. If 343i did as you said then no one would be content.

Did you not read my post where it states you can sprint when you have full shields? You know, basically the whole post? How is this not a compromise?

@TripleT, the problem isn’t when a player has no shields that is escaping, it’s when they have full shields and are losing, so they turn around and sprint away before the player can properly finish them off. And I compared the teamwork aspect as not everyone plays in a team of 4 so you can’t always call that player out that is running away.

This allows all newer players to keep the aspect of sprint in Halo, but also allows older players who grew up with the original Halos without sprint to not get frustrated when a player escapes due to sprint when they over extended and should have died.

I might as well contribute something of actual substance.

Here is what happens with this idea. People will only sprint when they have full shields. Meaning they will usually only sprint at the start of the game or off-spawn. Any other time they are going to be discouraged from sprinting, yet sprint is required to cross the now vast expanses of land without being shot. You’re already discouraged from moving for the simple fact you have to stop and let your shields recharge way more often than you had to before, I feel like this change would only further compound onto that.

Player becomes weaker, map traversal becomes even more annoying and risky than it already is, pacing suffers even further. So as an anti-sprint person, that does not appeal to me at all. Maybe if this was taking place on normal Halo Ce maps it would work as you would be so heavily discouraged from using sprint anyways, but on giant Halo 5 maps? Please no.

And what of the people that actually like sprint? Half these people probably like it for the same reasons we dislike it; that they can use it to escape, to throw off the enemy, so on. Now they can’t do any of that, and now they are practically prevented from using it to begin with.

So in the end, who are these nerfs actually pleasing?

I feel like a lot of people like to overuse the word ‘balanced’. how could any of us know that making a specific change will result in something that is ‘balanced’ without any playtesting?

> 2533274819302824;12:
> I might as well contribute something of actual substance.
>
> Here is what happens with this idea. People will only sprint when they have full shields. Meaning they will usually only sprint at the start of the game or off-spawn. Any other time they are going to be discouraged from sprinting, yet sprint is required to cross the now vast expanses of land without being shot. You’re already discouraged from moving for the simple fact you have to stop and let your shields recharge way more often than you had to before, I feel like this change would only further compound onto that.
>
> Player becomes weaker, map traversal becomes even more annoying and risky than it already is, pacing suffers even further. So as an anti-sprint person, that does not appeal to me at all. Maybe if this was taking place on normal Halo Ce maps it would work as you would be so heavily discouraged from using sprint anyways, but on giant Halo 5 maps? Please no.
>
> And what of the people that actually like sprint? Half these people probably like it for the same reasons we dislike it; that they can use it to escape, to throw off the enemy, so on. Now they can’t do any of that, and now they are practically prevented from using it to begin with.
>
> So in the end, who are these nerfs actually pleasing?

I disagree. You already have to wait for your shields to recharge before heading out again for the sheer fact that they won’t recharge by sprinting. The ONLY thing I can see that can be somewhat of a negative of this is that if you’re being shot from a distance it will make it difficult to actually get away because of how much bigger maps are. However, if you increase base movement speed and you still have thruster, it will still allow ways to escape. It just prevents you from sprinting away from EVERY battle you’re in a disadvantage in.

And my counter to those that want sprint and use it to get away? It’s a compromise. You still get it to get to battles quicker and you still have thruster to help you get away. It’s BS that we have to deal with this with no compromise to the H:CE-3 community. The game has changed drastically since 2007 and it’s unfair to change it that much at its core.

This allows the best of both worlds.

So you remove an aspect in which sprint works well.

essentially you make it a “get to place B from A fast” yet maps are increased in size to accommodate sprint speeds. Meaning that its countermeasures in this version of sprint defeat the purpose of sprint’s existence.

I can stongly agree towards that implement.
Now pro sprint kids cant run away!

> 2717573882290994;6:
> I say we nerf it to the point where pressing the Sprint button does absolutely nothing.
> That’s the best route to go.

This.

The more you try to compromise and “balance” it, something that can never be truly balanced in Halo anyway, the more you beg the question “what’s the point in the first place?”

Because there is none, other than to attract CoD kids and 12-year-olds. That’s it. It adds nothing to the game and actually detracts from it. I don’t understand it nor why anyone would like it in Halo.

> 2533274795123910;15:
> So you remove an aspect in which sprint works well.
>
> essentially you make it a “get to place B from A fast” yet maps are increased in size to accommodate sprint speeds. Meaning that its countermeasures in this version of sprint defeat the purpose of sprint’s existence.

No you don’t because you can still sprint. Also with am increase in base movement speed, it still allows you to move quickly throughout the map. Let’s not act like sprint is the ONLY way to get across the map. I rarely sprint now because a lot of the times you do it you get caught with your gun down and your opponent gets the first shot or two and you rarely come out on top.

Sprint is used as a get away tactic more then it’s used to get to one point to another.

> 2533274846700578;17:
> > 2717573882290994;6:
> > I say we nerf it to the point where pressing the Sprint button does absolutely nothing.
> > That’s the best route to go.
>
>
> This.
>
> The more you try to compromise and “balance” it, something that can never be truly balanced in Halo anyway, the more you beg the question “what’s the point in the first place?”
>
> Because there is none, other than to attract CoD kids and 12-year-olds. That’s it. It adds nothing to the game and actually detracts from it. I don’t understand it nor why anyone would like it in Halo.

Sprints functions is to increase teamwork. Gone are the days of Halo where a well coordinated team with 4 mics were needed to truly dominate a game. Halo 3, Halo Reach, Halo 4, are all full of people who had a power weapon land at their feet only to be able to pick off any enemy. Take Valhalla for example. Any sniper in a decent position can pick up anyone in the middle field, and they had no option to escape. How fair and fun does this make the game? That someone can sit at the back of a map and pick off various people until the game ends? Now Halo 4’s Ragnarok. Same issue, except now a Binary rifle is present, and the jetpack allows for an increased height advantage.

Well 343 is making it so that Halo evolves past 1v1 combat. Halo should always be played at a distint advantage, because you arent fighting standard marines. Anything with a shield before taking health damage means that quick damage and quick kills is preferable to a prolonged engagement.

Simply, I love sprint because it makes it so that one person cannot dominate a single game. One good kill and control of power weapons at the start of a game meant certain death in all other Halos. With the addition of thruster and sprint, not only do I have more ways to outmaneuver power weapon wielding spartans, i can also get them to chase me, having my team take them down.

Halo has always been a team game. Anything that makes the game focus more and more on team engagements is A-ok in my book, It doesn’t hurt that I finally feel like a spartan, with all these fancy abilities, and that it seemed kind of preposterous before that we couldn’t sprint. Base movement speed is great and all, but in relative terms, because it is all relativity, two people moving at the same base movement speed makes it seem not so fast.

> 2533274848599184;19:
> > 2533274846700578;17:
> > > 2717573882290994;6:
> > > I say we nerf it to the point where pressing the Sprint button does absolutely nothing.
> > > That’s the best route to go.
> >
> >
> >
> > This.
> >
> > The more you try to compromise and “balance” it, something that can never be truly balanced in Halo anyway, the more you beg the question “what’s the point in the first place?”
> >
> > Because there is none, other than to attract CoD kids and 12-year-olds. That’s it. It adds nothing to the game and actually detracts from it. I don’t understand it nor why anyone would like it in Halo.
>
>
> Sprints functions is to increase teamwork. Gone are the days of Halo where a well coordinated team with 4 mics were needed to truly dominate a game. Halo 3, Halo Reach, Halo 4, are all full of people who had a power weapon land at their feet only to be able to pick off any enemy. Take Valhalla for example. Any sniper in a decent position can pick up anyone in the middle field, and they had no option to escape. How fair and fun does this make the game? That someone can sit at the back of a map and pick off various people until the game ends? Now Halo 4’s Ragnarok. Same issue, except now a Binary rifle is present, and the jetpack allows for an increased height advantage.
>
> Well 343 is making it so that Halo evolves past 1v1 combat. Halo should always be played at a distint advantage, because you arent fighting standard marines. Anything with a shield before taking health damage means that quick damage and quick kills is preferable to a prolonged engagement.
>
> Simply, I love sprint because it makes it so that one person cannot dominate a single game. One good kill and control of power weapons at the start of a game meant certain death in all other Halos. With the addition of thruster and sprint, not only do I have more ways to outmaneuver power weapon wielding spartans, i can also get them to chase me, having my team take them down.
>
> Halo has always been a team game. Anything that makes the game focus more and more on team engagements is A-ok in my book, It doesn’t hurt that I finally feel like a spartan, with all these fancy abilities, and that it seemed kind of preposterous before that we couldn’t sprint. Base movement speed is great and all, but in relative terms, because it is all relativity, two people moving at the same base movement speed makes it seem not so fast.

Your H3 point is moot because Valhalla actually played well even though the BR had terrible range. At higher levels it wasn’t a great map because it was actually more about obtaining the laser and getting top mid control, not sitting back in your base.

Halo 4 had sprint, and Rangnarok played terribly. This was mainly due to an easy to use sniper, camo AA, and ordnance drops.

That map is based off of Blood Gulch which was a H1 map that has a pistol that had the best range for a utility weapon in a Halo game.

Sprint didn’t make Valhalla any better because the map was increased in size so it was just as easy to snipe as ever.