A small graphics complaint (343 guilty spark)

I feel like some atmosphere is missing in 343 guilty spark…the FOG and the lights, it needs more fog and less lights

remember how spooky it was in the original, like when we first see the grunts and jackels running away from the cave entrance being fired at by what we thought was marines, and when we reached the cave whoever was shooting we assumed disappeared into the fog and was hiding in the “dark” cave somewhere.

but now since there is hardly any fog and the cave has lots of light inside…its like the people just went “puff” into nothing

its only something small, but does anyone agree? or get what I’m trying to say?

also. in before “lol change the graphic back to normal one then noob haha problem solved, Im so smart and witty lolol”

Tons of people have made threads like these and even more people have agreed. I personally don’t. I think they managed to capture the same sort of feeling without the fog, which was only in the original due to graphical limitations.

> I feel like some atmosphere is missing in 343 guilty spark…the FOG and the lights, it needs more fog and less lights
>
> remember how spooky it was in the original, like when we first see the grunts and jackels running away from the cave entrance being fired at by what we thought was marines, and when we reached the cave whoever was shooting we assumed disappeared into the fog and was hiding in the “dark” cave somewhere.
>
> but now since there is hardly any fog and the cave has lots of light inside…its like the people just went “puff” into nothing
>
>
> its only something small, but does anyone agree? or get what I’m trying to say?
>
> also. in before “lol change the graphic back to normal one then noob haha problem solved, Im so smart and witty lolol”

I agree with you. they need more fog and less lighting

> Tons of people have made threads like these and even more people have agreed. I personally don’t. I think they managed to capture the same sort of feeling without the fog, which was only in the original due to graphical limitations.

I agree with this guy. The reason they put fog in was to keep you from seeing the big picture. True, it did give it some atmosphere, but that’s the point. They were hiding the chunky plots of land and unproportional mountains. Now that 343 Industries have fixed up the scenery and is now looking fantastic, there is nothing to hide anymore.

True, it seems pretty lightish right now, but it wont matter that much, forest part on 343 Guilty spark wasnt my favorite part of the game anyways

Im fine with what it is currently, but I guess a little more fog or more rain wouldn’t hurt. Remember, they’re trying to make some levels more navigable. I would say more rain.

> Im fine with what it is currently, but I guess a little more fog or more rain wouldn’t hurt. Remember, they’re trying to make some levels more navigable. I would say more rain.

Like it was that hard to navigate in the original.

> > Im fine with what it is currently, but I guess a little more fog or more rain wouldn’t hurt. Remember, they’re trying to make some levels more navigable. I would say more rain.
>
> Like it was that hard to navigate in the original.

I agree, if it was too hard to navigate then you were either to young to play it [as i was*(but i still never got lost)] or you were too old and lost common sense to push forward until you see red dots on your motion tracker… Or see bullets flying, hear grunts screaming etc… But they made up for the fog with the rain and environment i think it would still frighten the young people as it did me 10 years ago.

*For the record I was seven when i played Halo Combat Evolved… I’m seventeen now so i can buy the Anniversary on my own :slight_smile:

I agree that they should add more fog. Its lost the atmosphere it had in CE with the fog removed. Since this is something 343 are doing for the fans I seriously hope they listen to the fans and add a bit more fog in. I understand that they are trying to make it easier to navigate but they need to keep the spooky atmosphere that was in the original. Adding more fog, not as much as the original but just enough to make the jungle seem spooky would be the best compromise.

> > Tons of people have made threads like these and even more people have agreed. I personally don’t. I think they managed to capture the same sort of feeling without the fog, which was only in the original due to graphical limitations.
>
> I agree with this guy. The reason they put fog in was to keep you from seeing the big picture. True, it did give it some atmosphere, but that’s the point. They were hiding the chunky plots of land and unproportional mountains. Now that 343 Industries have fixed up the scenery and is now looking fantastic, there is nothing to hide anymore.

This is the truth.

Plus remember back in the days, fog was used in many many games to cover up graphical limitations. A few great games like silent hill did this especially well, putting the fog into the storyline and atmosphere. 343 Guilty Spark did this as well.

Today’s method is for them to have low poly models, and switch to high poly ones when we get close.

Halo: CE is my favorite. Half of me is really excited about H:CEA, and the other half is thinking “Don’t fix what isn’t broken”. I’m fine with the old graphics; I’m having a blast on H:CE right now. But I still want to see a remake. All we can do is hope and pray that the Anniversary Edition captures the original atmosphere, and makes it look good. I like the additional foliage, and ground clutter, but I do miss old elements like fog and such.

Here’s hoping for a proper tribute.

> > > Tons of people have made threads like these and even more people have agreed. I personally don’t. I think they managed to capture the same sort of feeling without the fog, which was only in the original due to graphical limitations.
> >
> > I agree with this guy. The reason they put fog in was to keep you from seeing the big picture. True, it did give it some atmosphere, but that’s the point. They were hiding the chunky plots of land and unproportional mountains. Now that 343 Industries have fixed up the scenery and is now looking fantastic, there is nothing to hide anymore.
>
> This is the truth.
>
> Plus remember back in the days, fog was used in many many games to cover up graphical limitations. A few great games like silent hill did this especially well, putting the fog into the storyline and atmosphere. 343 Guilty Spark did this as well.
>
> Today’s method is for them to have low poly models, and switch to high poly ones when we get close.

Yea, remember the early Warhammer games? “Fog of War” was really just there to make the load on the PC bearable. Then came rendering. In H:CE the rendering was pretty basic, to my knowledge it was mostly the textures and shaders that got rendered, not so much the models. But in Halo 2 with larger environments it was necessary to progressively render everything to conserve resources.