A simple idea for controls

Here is a plan that might have some merit. What I would like to see is simple. Mappable controls. I am fine with the default, but I have heard many complaints about wanting slight tweaks here and there. Why not have individual buttons mappable? Set aside the sticks and D-pad for movement, and the buttons and triggers for everything else.
To take it further, I have another idea. Why not, when you save your custom controls, have a small file saved alongside it. One that you can upload to a file share, so it will be easier for members of the community to try out the settings you have created. Might not be as useful for standard game play, but it could be really cool for specific playlists. Also, using a save system, if you got, say, Griffball, in an action sack playlist (you never know), you could go to controls and select your Griffball settings from alongside the pre-loaded options.
Would be much quicker than mapping them every time you wanted to switch from playlist to playlist. Any thoughts? What do you guys think of the idea?

Yeah, I’ve never understood why they haven’t implemented a custom control scheme. It would be great if we could just pick what buttons do what.

Exactly. Like I said, I am really ok with the default, but It would eliminate ALL griping about the controls from there on.

I support this idea.

Signed,
-FM1M

I don’t care so much about being able to save control profiles but I definitely wish the controls were customizable!

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention…

I proposed this idea on the Halo Reach forums a while ago, but got flamed/trolled/etc. Anyway, I want to be able to set my sensitivities for individual weapons. For example, I can use the Rockets effectively on 6 sensitivity, but I can only use the Sniper on 5 sensitivity. Just a suggestion.

Pretty Smart Idea…Probably off Topic but Prone should be implemented into the Game…adding more options for Control Layouts…
It also effects those who dont have full function of there hand type of thing…
i have a friend that has that only has 4 fingers. i still dont know how he plays.
but if like he had those kind of options to change controls to his benefit…would be pretty nice.

Yes, I wonder if I’m one of those people :slight_smile: I just want to board vehicles with melee on default. Least that’s all I can think of right now.

I’d take the idea further by making it its own little mode. Basically the game asks you to perform an action, out of all or nearly all in the game, by pressing any button. I’d agree that the sticks should be left to movement so nothing but where is a problem. Call it training mode or whatever other obvious name you could throw at it.

This is something I thought they would have come out with long ago. I am not sure why they haven’t done this. I personally play bumper jumper and it is a little frustrating in reach because I can’t use the load outs the way others can. (Not that I like AA’s because I don’t.) It would be quite difficult for me to switch up my entire control set however if I were able to change one button I could compensate rather quickly.

Hopefully they make this option in Halo 4. This would be a nice option to have although not 100% necessary.

SaiNts

I was about to create this exact thread. I’ve never understood why games don’t let you choose your button mapping.

Bungie have always been extremely strict about what you can customize in your game. Controls are a good example for that, but an ever better example are sound settings: There are none. Virtually every game nowadays allows you to adjust the volume for BGM, sound effects, and voices. Halo never that did.

> Bungie have always been extremely strict about what you can customize in your game. Controls are a good example for that, but an ever better example are sound settings: There are none. Virtually every game nowadays allows you to adjust the volume for BGM, sound effects, and voices. Halo never that did.

Well Bungie’s gone now so hopefully 343 won’t be so strict.

I most definitely agree with this idea. Thought this should have been implemented a long time ago.

Yes! I’ve been saying this for years. FPS games have had customizable control schemes since at least Doom, if not earlier. There is literally no reason for the Halo franchise having not caught up almost 20 years later.