A Review of Halo 5

Just wanted to share my overall thoughts on the game. I’ve been playing since H:CE and Halo has been the game I’ve played more than any other franchise by FAR. Originally when I was very young it was mainly about the Campaign. Now I don’t game much any more and ever since H3 I’ve been casually competetive if that makes any sense. I don’t go to events I don’t even compete in online tournaments. But online ranked matches are 90% of what I do and its usually the MLG stuff. Just wanted to give some background as to what my history with the game is.

To keep this short, I haven’t even beaten H5’s campaign. Looks very corny to me plus I heard bad things so I haven’t even bothered yet. What I care about is the multiplayer, particularly its ranked stuff. And with the core gameplay I feel like 343i has delivered a classic. The game’s basic mechanics are excellent in my view. The H5 pistol is a great starting weapon. We have some of the best strafes ever. And add the thrust in to that and the shooting element of the game is superb. I think Sprint is incorporated as smoothly as it can be, I like the clamber and how one can still crouch jump w/out it. GroundPound’s are orgasmic to land at times and are one of my very favorite H5 innovations. The Sparge Ability is kind of lame but is actually appreciated more and more when I learn how it just can punish a rival player if two enemies are one-shot around corners the spartan-charge rewards making plays and aggression which i think is great.

I don’t want to go on for much longer. WZ is neat, they balance vehicles well in BTB too. My major complaint is the Armor and the Maps. The Maps aren’t awful, but we need something that feels more traditional which I think we can manage with Forge. The armor sets are baffling in their absurdity. And I am a little disappointed I can’t add a logo/decal to my weapons. But to sum it up again. I feel like the look and and heart of the story have been butchered, but the core gameplay is excellent. In fact I feel like its the best and most competetive shooter since H3. And I think it might even be better.

This is a nice and fair review. But we all know that the bungie and 343 fanboy wars are going to show up at this thread. Brace yourself.

That is about my feelings as well. Except I hate Spartan charge, it seems to reward players who can’t be first on the trigger but I can live with it. Yes the maps of H5 are pretty bad. Worse of all the series IMO. Now while the campaign was pretty lack luster I feel it was better than most make it out to be. Some of the missions are really good. You just have to get over the fact that you don’t play as master chief all that often and the whole “hunt the truth” stuff was basically for nothing because you didn’t really have to hunt at all. But the swords of Sanghelios mission was one of the best missions in all the series IMO.

> 2533274922424373;2:
> This is a nice and fair review. But we all know that the bungie and 343 fanboy wars are going to show up at this thread. Brace yourself.

yeah, that was a smaller part of why i mentioned my background as an MLG playlist player. I thought it would alleviate that a little.

I feel more or less the same way. To me the campaign was lackluster and somewhat annoying. It felt generally unmemorable to me, and the decision to give Blue Team only three missions was a mistake. Multiplayer is fun. Weapon balance is excellent. The REQ system is frustrating to deal with , though. Overall, I feel that the game overall is pretty good but the campaign sucks for a Halo game.

> 2535437652903765;5:
> I feel more or less the same way. To me the campaign was lackluster and somewhat annoying. It felt generally unmemorable to me, and the decision to give Blue Team only three missions was a mistake. Multiplayer is fun. Weapon balance is excellent. The REQ system is frustrating to deal with , though. Overall, I feel that the game overall is pretty good but the campaign sucks for a Halo game.

Really and truly the weapon balance is fantastic. If any of you are real old school Halo 2 players you will remember that spawning with an SMG was default, even in the patches after release. That was just awful. Even with Halo 3 the AR/Pistol start was pitiful. Classic maps like Guardian could get so stupid with one BR on the map in the dubs playlist at high level. Without a doubt this is the most balanced Halo since CE in terms of multiplayer. H:CE could basically be played vanilla settings and be competetive because of the great pistol and its balance with power weapons. H5 is the only other Halo to do that. In 2&3 one has to change start weapon to BR and remove both of the default weapons and in the case of H3 increase the movement speed by 10% because the strafes weren’t taht effective. H5 has some of the best strafes. H5 has some of the most competitive shooting in all of FPS.

How come the threads crapping on this game get so much views from people disagreeing and get this whole train going. I write something positive and its just dust in the wind.

> 2716903703776124;7:
> How come the threads crapping on this game get so much views from people disagreeing and get this whole train going. I write something positive and its just dust in the wind.

People are drawn to negativity unfortunately, but as long as a few people see your thread that’s all that matters.

> 2716903703776124;7:
> How come the threads crapping on this game get so much views from people disagreeing and get this whole train going. I write something positive and its just dust in the wind.

Probably because people who hate the game are busy arguing with the people who blindly praise it against all odds. And I agree that halo 5 has the best weapon balance and that charge is stupid.

I want to make one more point very plain. There is another thread bashing this game. I get it, but complaining about this game’s vanilla modes out the box is absurd to me. There is a thin layer of content. But if any of you are real day 1 H2 players who played kind of competetively you’d remember the SMG start with Radar games we dealt with. And the game had serious patches that really saved the gameplay. And the cheating?! It was a plague in higher levels. I frequently cite H2 as one of my fav games of all time, but looking back on it I didn’t play it that much b/c of the modding. It was rampant in H2.

This is the MOST balanced Halo out the box EVER. Halo 1 can be considered more balanced, but even then those rockets really made 1v1s lame at times. But H5 on the other hand? 343i definitely needs some praise for just how phenomenly they balanced the pistol to autos and the pistol to rifles. It adds great weapon diversity without the same feeling of helplessness that one had in a 2v2 on Lockout where the enemy team has Sniper/BR and you have to make plays with the SMG. In H5 we truly have a balanced skillful and cool starting weapon. Just look at the strafes that we have now. The gun battle of H5 are highly skillful. Teh same goes for the movement. The groundpounds, thrusts, and sparges allow for plays to be made. And people act like skill jumping is gone?! The opposite has to be true. We have the skilled crouch jumping mixed with clamber and one does NOT cancel out the other. The movement of this game is nearly perfect! The strafes are AMAZING, the thrust and ground pound are -Yoink!-.

I’ve been playing since HCE day 1. I get how turned off people are. Especially with the bonehead moves of MCC & H4 (both of which were truly bad imo). But this game is very clearly on par with any other Halo in terms of skill as far as I can tell. And when we add the diveersity of weapons that even show in Arena I think H5 is truly a real gem of a game. Again, the core mechanics here or superb.

> 2716903703776124;10:
> I want to make one more point very plain. There is another thread bashing this game. I get it, but complaining about this game’s vanilla modes out the box is absurd to me. There is a thin layer of content. But if any of you are real day 1 H2 players who played kind of competetively you’d remember the SMG start with Radar games we dealt with.

The fact that there are people who will actively defend smg and ar starts to this -Yoinking!- day in the year of our lord 2004+12 absolutely boggles my mind.

> 2716903703776124;7:

Welcome to Waypoint.

I have one pretty big grip with your original post:

This is supposed to be a “Review of Halo 5”, yet I read “I haven’t even beaten H5’s campaign. Looks very corny to me plus I heard bad things so I haven’t even bothered yet.” lol. Which is fine and dandy, I know you’re reviewing the mechanics and multiplayer aspects, but I got a chuckle from that. Imagine reading that in an IGN review: “Didn’t even bother: 8/10” :stuck_out_tongue:

> 2533274883669557;12:
> > 2716903703776124;7:
> > How come the threads crapping on this game get so much views from people disagreeing and get this whole train going. I write something positive and its just dust in the wind.
>
>
> Welcome to Waypoint.
>
> I have one pretty big grip with your original post:
>
> This is supposed to be a “Review of Halo 5”, yet I read “I haven’t even beaten H5’s campaign. Looks very corny to me plus I heard bad things so I haven’t even bothered yet.” lol. Which is fine and dandy, I know you’re reviewing the mechanics and multiplayer aspects, but I got a chuckle from that. Imagine reading that in an IGN review: “Didn’t even bother: 8/10” :stuck_out_tongue:

Absolutely agree with you. My review is basically: Gameplay- 10/10 Graphics- 8/10, Sound- 9/10, Story- IDGAF