A return to Arbiter levels (Halo 2 style).

I for one really liked the Arbiter levels in Halo 2. As someone who was really into the Halo books up to that point, the Arbiter levels really scratched an itch I didn’t realize I had.

After playing though Halo 5, I think the game ended in a good spot to return to Arbiter focused missions.

There is a lot they could do with it, but I would like them to dive into the plot of how ONI is gaming their war, sabotaging hes efforts and even shooting down his ships. The Arbiters forces are an underdog in the galaxy now. And ONI needs to be the bad guy in at least one game. :slight_smile:

I don’t trust 343s writing team with my favorite character…but it would be awesome if they pulled it off, He should be the character that takes the series forward and not Locke

I didn’t enjoy Halo 2 campaign that much, especially Arbiter missions.

> 2684064956505966;2:
> I don’t trust 343s writing team with my favorite character…but it would be awesome if they pulled it off, He should be the character that takes the series forward and not Locke

Why should this be the case? The Arbiter had his spotlight in 2, 343 should continue to keep Locke in.

> 2533274973957410;4:
> > 2684064956505966;2:
> > I don’t trust 343s writing team with my favorite character…but it would be awesome if they pulled it off, He should be the character that takes the series forward and not Locke
>
>
> Why should this be the case? The Arbiter had his spotlight in 2, 343 should continue to keep Locke in.

You couldn’t build Locke into as intriguing of a character as the Arbiter if you had 10 games and 30 books to do so

> 2684064956505966;5:
> > 2533274973957410;4:
> > > 2684064956505966;2:
> > > I don’t trust 343s writing team with my favorite character…but it would be awesome if they pulled it off, He should be the character that takes the series forward and not Locke
> >
> >
> > Why should this be the case? The Arbiter had his spotlight in 2, 343 should continue to keep Locke in.
>
>
> You couldn’t build Locke into as intriguing of a character as the Arbiter if you had 10 games and 30 books to do so

That’s the thing, the Arbiter is already a well known character and Locke is not.

> 2533274973957410;6:
> > 2684064956505966;5:
> > > 2533274973957410;4:
> > > > 2684064956505966;2:
> > > > I don’t trust 343s writing team with my favorite character…but it would be awesome if they pulled it off, He should be the character that takes the series forward and not Locke
> > >
> > >
> > > Why should this be the case? The Arbiter had his spotlight in 2, 343 should continue to keep Locke in.
> >
> >
> > You couldn’t build Locke into as intriguing of a character as the Arbiter if you had 10 games and 30 books to do so
>
>
> That’s the thing, the Arbiter is already a well known character and Locke is not.

The contrast between UNSC and not UNSC is what I find intresting.

So far, all Locke has added very little. If his team was an ONI/Black Ops spartan squad that did things much differently than chief, it might be intresting (they could still go I’m this direction). But so far they are just more of what we have already seen. (And then they went on and proved they could do it better with the introduction of Blue Team).

> 2684064956505966;5:
> > 2533274973957410;4:
> > > 2684064956505966;2:
> > > I don’t trust 343s writing team with my favorite character…but it would be awesome if they pulled it off, He should be the character that takes the series forward and not Locke
> >
> >
> > Why should this be the case? The Arbiter had his spotlight in 2, 343 should continue to keep Locke in.
>
>
> You couldn’t build Locke into as intriguing of a character as the Arbiter if you had 10 games and 30 books to do so

Locke already has more character development from this one game than the Chief ever did in the entire original trilogy. Locke is not a bad character at all, and saying he is from one game into his repertoire isn’t a good judgement of him.

While I found playing as Arbiter boring…it would have helped Halo 5 I think if you got to battle as him in some sort of battle while on Sanghelios.

> 2614366390834061;7:
> > 2533274973957410;6:
> > > 2684064956505966;5:
> > > > 2533274973957410;4:
> > > > > 2684064956505966;2:
> > > > > I don’t trust 343s writing team with my favorite character…but it would be awesome if they pulled it off, He should be the character that takes the series forward and not Locke
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > Why should this be the case? The Arbiter had his spotlight in 2, 343 should continue to keep Locke in.
> > >
> > >
> > > You couldn’t build Locke into as intriguing of a character as the Arbiter if you had 10 games and 30 books to do so
> >
> >
> > That’s the thing, the Arbiter is already a well known character and Locke is not.
>
>
> The contrast between UNSC and not UNSC is what I find intresting.
>
> So far, all Locke has added very little. If his team was an ONI/Black Ops spartan squad that did things much differently than chief, it might be intresting (they could still go I’m this direction). But so far they are just more of what we have already seen. (And then they went on and proved they could do it better with the introduction of Blue Team).

I like this response. The contrast was very well done. It took one story, and told it from opposite viewpoints…keeping both stories progressing/flowing logically alongside the other.

H5 seemed to want to do that, but failed. Locke was an uninteresting character with very little character arc. He only changed because the story/plot said he needed to, not because it happened organically as a result of what was going on in the story.

Two parallel arcs is tough to pull off if it’s disjointedly done (lack of pertinent info/relying on extended universe to fill in gaps, or otherwise skipping/jumping around too much). That said, I would welcome something like H2’s Arbiter levels again.

> 2533274808210415;8:
> > 2684064956505966;5:
> > > > I don’t trust 343s writing team with my favorite character…but it would be awesome if they pulled it off, He should be the character that takes the series forward and not Locke
> > >
> > >
> > > Why should this be the case? The Arbiter had his spotlight in 2, 343 should continue to keep Locke in.
> >
> >
> > You couldn’t build Locke into as intriguing of a character as the Arbiter if you had 10 games and 30 books to do so
>
>
> Locke already has more character development from this one game than the Chief ever did in the entire original trilogy. Locke is not a bad character at all, and saying he is from one game into his repertoire isn’t a good judgement of him.

more lines of dialogue does not equal character development

judging from his appearance in Halo 5 and nightfall, I stand by my statement that he is a completely uninteresting character

> 2533274808210415;8:
> > 2684064956505966;5:
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
>
>
> Locke already has more character development from this one game than the Chief ever did in the entire original trilogy. Locke is not a bad character at all, and saying he is from one game into his repertoire isn’t a good judgement of him.

Chief’s arc in 1-3 did not focus on him therefore his lack of character development did little to negatively impact he story.
Locke’s arc in Halo 5 has heavy focus on him due to 343i trying to do a more character based story instead of a lore one but has little character development relative to this focus with locke.

> 2535452250728209;12:
> > 2533274808210415;8:
> > > 2684064956505966;5:
> > > > 2533274973957410;4:
> > > > > 2684064956505966;2:
> > > > > I don’t trust 343s writing team with my favorite character…but it would be awesome if they pulled it off, He should be the character that takes the series forward and not Locke
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > Why should this be the case? The Arbiter had his spotlight in 2, 343 should continue to keep Locke in.
> > >
> > >
> > > You couldn’t build Locke into as intriguing of a character as the Arbiter if you had 10 games and 30 books to do so
> >
> >
> > Locke already has more character development from this one game than the Chief ever did in the entire original trilogy. Locke is not a bad character at all, and saying he is from one game into his repertoire isn’t a good judgement of him.
>
>
> Chief’s arc in 1-3 did not focus on him therefore his lack of character development did little to negatively impact he story.
> Locke’s arc in Halo 5 has heavy focus on him due to 343i trying to do a more character based story instead of a lore one but has little character development relative to this focus with locke.

This is the only reasonable “Locke is bad” argument I’ve seen. Well done.

> 2533274808210415;13:
> > 2535452250728209;12:
> > > 2533274808210415;8:
> > > > 2684064956505966;5:
> > > > > 2533274973957410;4:
> > > > > > 2684064956505966;2:
> > > > > > I don’t trust 343s writing team with my favorite character…but it would be awesome if they pulled it off, He should be the character that takes the series forward and not Locke
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > Why should this be the case? The Arbiter had his spotlight in 2, 343 should continue to keep Locke in.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > You couldn’t build Locke into as intriguing of a character as the Arbiter if you had 10 games and 30 books to do so
> > >
> > >
> > > Locke already has more character development from this one game than the Chief ever did in the entire original trilogy. Locke is not a bad character at all, and saying he is from one game into his repertoire isn’t a good judgement of him.
> >
> >
> > Chief’s arc in 1-3 did not focus on him therefore his lack of character development did little to negatively impact he story.
> > Locke’s arc in Halo 5 has heavy focus on him due to 343i trying to do a more character based story instead of a lore one but has little character development relative to this focus with locke.
>
>
> This is the only reasonable “Locke is bad” argument I’ve seen. Well done.

Thank you

In case I was unclear to others in my statement, I am basically saying that even though locke’s dialogue and actions may arguably give a better perception of his character than what we saw from chief in the first two halos, by halo 3 we start to see a bit more human side to him just a little, locke does not nearly have enough character development to match the large focus the story has on him and the very nature of the plot as a character driven story.

Regardless of Lockes ability to become as intresting character as Chief, neither of these characters can lead the same narratives as the Arbiter can. The Arbiter is now a leader that commands most his spieces. He answers to no one, and is aware of several intresting plot points, such as Locke calling for his assasination… because he is directly responsible for the murder of countless humans. This is just one example.

As a side note: he has also managed to stay bad -Yoink- in the 343 halo universe where the elite race is weak and laughable compared to the UNSC.

More Arbiter levels would be a fantastic addition.

I liked the fireteam idea, just replace some of the “filler” characters with more well-developed and known characters. 2 Spartans (Chief and Locke - there’s no way 343 will drop Locke), 2 Elites (Arbiter and some other Elite). Also, on a side note, playable elites would be nice to have again. I guess while we’re on the topic, we need a legit Arbiter armor for Elites in MP if this is going to happen.

> 2533274908120705;16:
> I liked the fireteam idea, just replace some of the “filler” characters with more well-developed and known characters. 2 Spartans (Chief and Locke - there’s no way 343 will drop Locke), 2 Elites (Arbiter and some other Elite). Also, on a side note, playable elites would be nice to have again. I guess while we’re on the topic, we need a legit Arbiter armor for Elites in MP if this is going to happen.

If they keep the fireteam idea for 6 it should be Chief, Locke, Arby, and Palmer after the ending to 5

> 2614366390834061;1:
> I for one really liked the Arbiter levels in Halo 2. As someone who was really into the Halo books up to that point, the Arbiter levels really scratched an itch I didn’t realize I had.
>
> After playing though Halo 5, I think the game ended in a good spot to return to Arbiter focused missions.
>
> There is a lot they could do with it, but I would like them to dive into the plot of how ONI is gaming their war, sabotaging his efforts and even shooting down his ships. The Arbiters forces are an underdog in the galaxy now. And ONI needs to be the bad guy in at least one game. :slight_smile:

I agree that they should add the Arbiter missions. It would make the campaign much more interesting and diverse. I also think they should add the option to become an elite like in Halo Reach. If they do add that option, they then also should add the option to be able to play as an elite, or make specific game modes that you can play as an elite (like maybe a game mode where its the UNSC versus the Covenant, or the Swords of Sanghilios versus the Covenant). Also if they add this, they should make it that you have a preferred species between elites or human. If you can’t tell already, I loved Halo Reach.

> 2535424465548988;17:
> > 2533274908120705;16:
> > I liked the fireteam idea, just replace some of the “filler” characters with more well-developed and known characters. 2 Spartans (Chief and Locke - there’s no way 343 will drop Locke), 2 Elites (Arbiter and some other Elite). Also, on a side note, playable elites would be nice to have again. I guess while we’re on the topic, we need a legit Arbiter armor for Elites in MP if this is going to happen.
>
>
> If they keep the fireteam idea for 6 it should be Chief, Locke, Arby, and Palmer after the ending to 5

If you have read the book Hunters on the Dark, they utilize what could essentially be considered a spartan team made up of spartan 4s and elites (and normal humans), so this is not too farfetched.

However, having an elite under direct authority/command of a human would be a stretch (unless they are honor bound in some way). In Halo 3, the Chief and the Arbiter had the same goals, but the Arbiter was never Chiefs subordinate (and visa versa). The same could be said for the Hunters in the Dark team.

Think that’s one reason people like the chief and thr Arbiter so much. They are no one’s subordinate, but both would sacrifice themselves for their people. Look at Blue team, Fred out ranks the chief, but chief is still head of the fireteam. Chief just radiates leadership from a lore perspective. But I’m just rambling now tho. Disregard this last bit. :slight_smile:

> 2684064956505966;2:
> I don’t trust 343s writing team with my favorite character…but it would be awesome if they pulled it off, He should be the character that takes the series forward and not Locke

Yes! I want more Arbiter!