A quick question regardeing Brutes.

In Halo: First Strike it clearly states that the first human interaciton with brutes is on the Unyielding Hierophant on the journey back from the first Halo ring. So, there should be no Brutes in Halo: Reach. Am I Correct?

Thanks in advance.

That particular issue has been dealt with in the re-release of First Strike and been corrected. The Fall of Reach however still states that Reach is 117’s first time encountering an Elite.

There are many problems still associated with the Fall of Reach and First Strike that weren’t addressed for the re-write. Apparently, it’s intentional. The 2542 dates in the rerelease of the FoR, those aren’t on purpose though.

Yeah, there are alot of plot holes. But yeah, Brutes have been a part of the war since the beginning. At least since Contact Harvest was released.

You’ll just have to ignored that part of the book… I guess. It’d be nice if the guys at 343 would just straighten this all out.

It’s frustrating to having to deal with such mistakes.

A problem with stories such as these, is that they were not originally written to be expanded on for such a large franchise. FoR was only intended as an introduction on the in medias res start of Halo: CE. To further expand the story, some compromised had to be made, and I think they’ve done about as good a job as they could, without creating new ones.

If I remember correctly, only a sentence was changed in the new FoR to say that Master Chief had handled Elites before, though, rather than being first encounter. Can’t say with FS, as I haven’t read the new one yet.

The mistakes don’t really bother me I just ignore them but you could always pretend that ONI classified the info or something so that most wouldn’t know/or there would be conflicting reports.

> Yeah, there are alot of plot holes. But yeah, Brutes have been a part of the war since the beginning. At least since Contact Harvest was released.
>
> You’ll just have to ignored that part of the book… I guess. It’d be nice if the guys at 343 would just straighten this all out.

There were definitely a few very minor tweaks implemented to soften the notion that these events were the first time the Spartans encountered the Elites (The Fall of Reach) and the Brutes (First Strike), concepts which have already been overwritten by more recently published material. There’s obviously literal, real world reasons why they were originally written the way they were and most long time fans get that. When we look to the new audiences coming to Halo, however, we wanted to make sure that there were as few stumbling blocks as possible, thusly the text was softened. We did NOT want to outright rewrite the book’s existing fiction, they’re part of the fabric of the universe and remain 99.9999% untouched - and that’s the way we like it. :slight_smile:

And what happened to the Brutes Hair?

> And what happened to the Brutes Hair?

They de-volved.

> And what happened to the Brutes Hair?

If I had to guess I would say they changed them to look less like Wookies in Star Wars. They had a Wookie look to them in Halo 2 and in Halo 3 they had armor to cover them up so they didn’t need to change them too much. But since Reach is a prequel they would have to look Wookie-ish again so they made some modifications to prevent it.

In Universe however you could assume these Brutes are special. The Elites didn’t trust the Brutes and never really fought side by side. If anything the Brutes were cannon fodder used for specific tasks. Because of this, these Brutes may be “Hardcore” types who shave their entire bodies and tattoo themselves with warrior markings. If you look at them in Reach they do appear to have tattoos all over their bodies.

Those are my theories.

i recently just finished the new FoR book and dont recall brutes…the unsc barley knew about elites for petes sake! though they are in wars…i guess in the book brutes where unnessecary for groung engagments…after jackles kill some spartans in the book lol.

I’m pretty sure the Brutes were mostly used for the dirty work. Like butchering civilians and mopping up the small engagements. Tools I SAY!

> > And what happened to the Brutes Hair?
>
> They de-volved.

Like Klingons, going from Human like skulls to crazy boney foreheads!

That was just an error. With a universe as big as Halo’s which is expanding at an enormus rate there will be some mistakes.

So, none of you considered that the Brutes, like certain other primates, could have shaven it off? A fur covered body isn’t exactly practical on the battlefield, and perhaps this deployment of Brutes prefered being mostly bald? Keep in mind that there’s no single trend going on within a species, or all humans would be identical too.

> So, none of you considered that the Brutes, like certain other primates, could have shaven it off? A fur covered body isn’t exactly practical on the battlefield, and perhaps this deployment of Brutes prefered being mostly bald? Keep in mind that there’s no single trend going on within a species, or all humans would be identical too.

I don’t think it’s that it was never considered… I think the question was asked because a reason was never given.

If that’s the case, cool!

But that’s never been stated.

> So, none of you considered that the Brutes, like certain other primates, could have shaven it off? A fur covered body isn’t exactly practical on the battlefield, and perhaps this deployment of Brutes prefered being mostly bald? Keep in mind that there’s no single trend going on within a species, or all humans would be identical too.

I mentioned it as a possible explanation. They appear to have warrior markings on their shaven bodies as well.