A question regarding leaks.

What exactly is considered a leak? Recently I posted a thread about how a legitimate Book distribution and sales site that I will not name allowed prospecting buyers to read some text from an upcoming piece of media. Seeing that this was a corporation with legal rights to do this I beleived that this was not considered a leak as It was a feature of this site that was given the rights to distribute by 343 and the publisher. My thread was taken down however because it was considered leaked information. I feel that if 343 does not wish for this Info to be known they should contact the Distributor about it.

Let’s say I get a copy of Halo 4, pirated, then I start posting stuff on the internet, it is leaked, the game isn’t released so it shouldn’t be out there.

But if it comes from let’s say Xbox, Microsoft or 343 Industries, it is fine.

There are occasions were someone like the distributor in your case has released something and they shouldn’t have, meaning it is still leaked because it wasn’t intentional.

If you really do want to discuss why the topic was taken down though and want to question it, I advise you send a PM to bs angel, she can get in contact with the distributor and find out what’s going on.

> There are occasions were someone like the distributor in your case has released something and they shouldn’t have, meaning it is still leaked because it wasn’t intentional.

This would be my guess on this subject.

Basically, the text that you read is currently being considered a leak.

I don’t understand how it is a leak when it is an official preview. If 343i or whoever is in charge didn’t want that much of the book available before launch they shouldn’t have sent out the ebook files this early.

> I don’t understand how it is a leak when it is an official preview. If 343i or whoever is in charge didn’t want that much of the book available before launch they shouldn’t have sent out the ebook files this early.

Better now than later, after reading around a bit, the release from Amazon was a mistake and clearly 343i didn’t want it out there yet.

It’s a much more extensive preview than I’d expect, with just a few pages missing seemingly at random, but amazon has these sorts of previews for a bunch of books.

“Leak” has a connotation more like somebody sneaking information out from a company that they’re not supposed to have/share. In this case, the word doesn’t seem to apply, but it’s 343’s forum and if they don’t want you to talk about something they’ll shut it down. They might just be calling it a “leak” to more conveniently fit in with the posted rules of things they don’t like, rather than going right for the “we’ll do whatever we want” clause.

It would definitely need spoiler tags, and likely the reading experience would be better if you waited until the entire book is available. So in that sense, it’s similar to a leak in that learning leaked information too soon can make the eventual experience worse than if everything were new/complete at the right time.

> It’s a much more extensive preview than I’d expect, with just a few pages missing seemingly at random, but amazon has these sorts of previews for a bunch of books.
>
> “Leak” has a connotation more like somebody sneaking information out from a company that they’re not supposed to have/share. In this case, the word doesn’t seem to apply, but it’s 343’s forum and if they don’t want you to talk about something they’ll shut it down. They might just be calling it a “leak” to more conveniently fit in with the posted rules of things they don’t like, rather than going right for the “we’ll do whatever we want” clause.
>
> It would definitely need spoiler tags, and likely the reading experience would be better if you waited until the entire book is available. So in that sense, it’s similar to a leak in that learning leaked information too soon can make the eventual experience worse than if everything were new/complete at the right time.

I doubt it. So far TTW is pretty bad, along the same lines as Glasslands.

> > It’s a much more extensive preview than I’d expect, with just a few pages missing seemingly at random, but amazon has these sorts of previews for a bunch of books.
> >
> > “Leak” has a connotation more like somebody sneaking information out from a company that they’re not supposed to have/share. In this case, the word doesn’t seem to apply, but it’s 343’s forum and if they don’t want you to talk about something they’ll shut it down. They might just be calling it a “leak” to more conveniently fit in with the posted rules of things they don’t like, rather than going right for the “we’ll do whatever we want” clause.
> >
> > It would definitely need spoiler tags, and likely the reading experience would be better if you waited until the entire book is available. So in that sense, it’s similar to a leak in that learning leaked information too soon can make the eventual experience worse than if everything were new/complete at the right time.
>
> I doubt it. So far TTW is pretty bad, along the same lines as Glasslands.

Well it’s by the same author, so it’d make sense for them to be similar. Can’t speak to either book being good/bad; but in this case it does seem like you can read almost the entire thing, with just 1-3 pages missing every 20 pages or so until the last couple of chapters, where 10-15 pages are missing at a time. So you probably wouldn’t miss much for the first half of the book and would have more than enough sample to decide if this book is worthwhile to you. And actually Glasslands has a similar preview opportunity.

Amazon is not the official 343i site, and 343i has the right to deem whatever information that is given from any site that does not fall under the category as being “official” (i.e. anywhere but here) as leaked.