A question about Spartan II armor ...

In the some of the books and at the beging of Halo:4 the spartan II’s are all depicted as wearing the same armor (MOJOLNIR MK IV,V,VI) to the point that they are indistinguishable from one another. But in several other versions they are depicted wearing different armor permutations (Halo:Legends, Halo:Fall of Reach, and Halo:Foreward Unto Dawn to name a few). Are the armor permutations considered cannon and should we see them in future works.

Armor variations are definitely canon.

Many of the visuals of Halo 4’s opening are non-canon, as assets for high-fidelity videos are expensive and take time. Many assets were reused to save both (hence all the Spartans having the Chief’s upgrade Mk. VI). In the original Nylund books, armor permutations had not been created, and as such, all Spartans wore the same armor. This has been retroactively changed so that Spartans would wear different permutations based on person preference, combat roles, or mission specs (much like Noble Team in Halo Reach).

Armor permutations are very much canon, though.

> Many of the visuals of Halo 4’s opening are non-canon, as assets for high-fidelity videos are expensive and take time. Many assets were reused to save both (hence all the Spartans having the Chief’s upgrade Mk. VI). In the original Nylund books, armor permutations had not been created, and as such, all Spartans wore the same armor. This has been retroactively changed so that Spartans would wear different permutations based on person preference, combat roles, or mission specs (much like Noble Team in Halo Reach).
>
> Armor permutations are very much canon, though.

Let’s not forget however that the Upgraded Mark VI is based off a Mark IV variant. Thus the SPARTAN-IIs in the prologue are wearing that Mark IV variant.

> > Many of the visuals of Halo 4’s opening are non-canon, as assets for high-fidelity videos are expensive and take time. Many assets were reused to save both (hence all the Spartans having the Chief’s upgrade Mk. VI). In the original Nylund books, armor permutations had not been created, and as such, all Spartans wore the same armor. This has been retroactively changed so that Spartans would wear different permutations based on person preference, combat roles, or mission specs (much like Noble Team in Halo Reach).
> >
> > Armor permutations are very much canon, though.
>
> Let’s not forget however that the Upgraded Mark VI is based off a Mark IV variant. Thus the SPARTAN-IIs in the prologue are wearing that Mark IV variant.

The upgrade is based on a Mk. IV design, but it is not Mk. IV. Putting aside the canon issues that it would bring up, the armor in the opening also features shielding, something the most Mk. IV varients didn’t feature.

> > > Many of the visuals of Halo 4’s opening are non-canon, as assets for high-fidelity videos are expensive and take time. Many assets were reused to save both (hence all the Spartans having the Chief’s upgrade Mk. VI). In the original Nylund books, armor permutations had not been created, and as such, all Spartans wore the same armor. This has been retroactively changed so that Spartans would wear different permutations based on person preference, combat roles, or mission specs (much like Noble Team in Halo Reach).
> > >
> > > Armor permutations are very much canon, though.
> >
> > Let’s not forget however that the Upgraded Mark VI is based off a Mark IV variant. Thus the SPARTAN-IIs in the prologue are wearing that Mark IV variant.
>
> The upgrade is based on a Mk. IV design, but it is not Mk. IV. Putting aside the canon issues that it would bring up, the armor in the opening also features shielding, something the most Mk. IV varients didn’t feature.

Most, but not all. We know that Red Team tested energy shielding as early as 2531. In addition we also have the Grenadier variant that was fiddling around with energy shields by 2535. The armor in the prologue is a Mark IV variant.

> > > > Many of the visuals of Halo 4’s opening are non-canon, as assets for high-fidelity videos are expensive and take time. Many assets were reused to save both (hence all the Spartans having the Chief’s upgrade Mk. VI). In the original Nylund books, armor permutations had not been created, and as such, all Spartans wore the same armor. This has been retroactively changed so that Spartans would wear different permutations based on person preference, combat roles, or mission specs (much like Noble Team in Halo Reach).
> > > >
> > > > Armor permutations are very much canon, though.
> > >
> > > Let’s not forget however that the Upgraded Mark VI is based off a Mark IV variant. Thus the SPARTAN-IIs in the prologue are wearing that Mark IV variant.
> >
> > The upgrade is based on a Mk. IV design, but it is not Mk. IV. Putting aside the canon issues that it would bring up, the armor in the opening also features shielding, something the most Mk. IV varients didn’t feature.
>
> Most, but not all. We know that Red Team tested energy shielding as early as 2531. In addition we also have the Grenadier variant that was fiddling around with energy shields by 2535. The armor in the prologue is a Mark IV variant.

I’m sorry, but I just cannot believe that. What variant had a built in jetpack? And where is the bulky fusion power pack?

And the shield testing with the Grenadier variant was supposedly a failure

They are canon. However, I think the rest of Blue team in FuD are wearing different variants because it’s cheaper to reuse Deliver Hope props than make two full sets of armour that only appear for a few minutes.

> > > > > Many of the visuals of Halo 4’s opening are non-canon, as assets for high-fidelity videos are expensive and take time. Many assets were reused to save both (hence all the Spartans having the Chief’s upgrade Mk. VI). In the original Nylund books, armor permutations had not been created, and as such, all Spartans wore the same armor. This has been retroactively changed so that Spartans would wear different permutations based on person preference, combat roles, or mission specs (much like Noble Team in Halo Reach).
> > > > >
> > > > > Armor permutations are very much canon, though.
> > > >
> > > > Let’s not forget however that the Upgraded Mark VI is based off a Mark IV variant. Thus the SPARTAN-IIs in the prologue are wearing that Mark IV variant.
> > >
> > > The upgrade is based on a Mk. IV design, but it is not Mk. IV. Putting aside the canon issues that it would bring up, the armor in the opening also features shielding, something the most Mk. IV varients didn’t feature.
> >
> > Most, but not all. We know that Red Team tested energy shielding as early as 2531. In addition we also have the Grenadier variant that was fiddling around with energy shields by 2535. The armor in the prologue is a Mark IV variant.
>
> I’m sorry, but I just cannot believe that. What variant had a built in jetpack? And where is the bulky fusion power pack?
>
> And the shield testing with the Grenadier variant was supposedly a failure

Well I’m sorry you don’t believe me but it is true. Not really sure what part you don’t believe so I’ll go into depth. Originally Red Team’s energy shields were non-canon and meant for Gameplay purposes as stated by Ensemble. However, it was later written into canon by Halo: The Essential Visual Guide that that the shielding feature saw in-the-field prototyping as early as 2531; this implicitly refers to Red Team, as the Grenadier variant did not enter service until 2535.

As of now we don’t know the name of the variant shown in the Prologue that contains Energy Shields and a built in thruster pack but it clearly is canon. Halo 4: The Essential Visual Guide retcons these suits as the Mark IV variant upon which John-117’s “upgraded” armor was based.

> > > > > > Many of the visuals of Halo 4’s opening are non-canon, as assets for high-fidelity videos are expensive and take time. Many assets were reused to save both (hence all the Spartans having the Chief’s upgrade Mk. VI). In the original Nylund books, armor permutations had not been created, and as such, all Spartans wore the same armor. This has been retroactively changed so that Spartans would wear different permutations based on person preference, combat roles, or mission specs (much like Noble Team in Halo Reach).
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Armor permutations are very much canon, though.
> > > > >
> > > > > Let’s not forget however that the Upgraded Mark VI is based off a Mark IV variant. Thus the SPARTAN-IIs in the prologue are wearing that Mark IV variant.
> > > >
> > > > The upgrade is based on a Mk. IV design, but it is not Mk. IV. Putting aside the canon issues that it would bring up, the armor in the opening also features shielding, something the most Mk. IV varients didn’t feature.
> > >
> > > Most, but not all. We know that Red Team tested energy shielding as early as 2531. In addition we also have the Grenadier variant that was fiddling around with energy shields by 2535. The armor in the prologue is a Mark IV variant.
> >
> > I’m sorry, but I just cannot believe that. What variant had a built in jetpack? And where is the bulky fusion power pack?
> >
> > And the shield testing with the Grenadier variant was supposedly a failure
>
> Well I’m sorry you don’t believe me but it is true. Not really sure what part you don’t believe so I’ll go into depth. Originally Red Team’s energy shields were non-canon and meant for Gameplay purposes as stated by Ensemble. However, it was later written into canon by Halo: The Essential Visual Guide that that the shielding feature saw in-the-field prototyping as early as 2531; this implicitly refers to Red Team, as the Grenadier variant did not enter service until 2535.
>
> As of now we don’t know the name of the variant shown in the Prologue that contains Energy Shields and a built in thruster pack but it clearly is canon. Halo 4: The Essential Visual Guide retcons these suits as the Mark IV variant upon which John-117’s “upgraded” armor was based.

I am aware that the Halo 4 Essential Visual Guide says that John’s modified Mk. VI is based on a Mk. IV design, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that such a design actually existed. The fusion power pack is far to small. Hell, the Mk. V had a bigger pack than the Mk. IV to accommodate the energy shielding. As such, it just doesn’t add up.

And I am aware of the entry regarding energy shielding from the Essential Visual Guide regarding Red Team’s energy shielding. That while making no sense, is at least more understandable than the Mjolnir seen at the start of Halo 4 being an actual Mk. IV varient.

> > > > > > > Many of the visuals of Halo 4’s opening are non-canon, as assets for high-fidelity videos are expensive and take time. Many assets were reused to save both (hence all the Spartans having the Chief’s upgrade Mk. VI). In the original Nylund books, armor permutations had not been created, and as such, all Spartans wore the same armor. This has been retroactively changed so that Spartans would wear different permutations based on person preference, combat roles, or mission specs (much like Noble Team in Halo Reach).
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > Armor permutations are very much canon, though.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Let’s not forget however that the Upgraded Mark VI is based off a Mark IV variant. Thus the SPARTAN-IIs in the prologue are wearing that Mark IV variant.
> > > > >
> > > > > The upgrade is based on a Mk. IV design, but it is not Mk. IV. Putting aside the canon issues that it would bring up, the armor in the opening also features shielding, something the most Mk. IV varients didn’t feature.
> > > >
> > > > Most, but not all. We know that Red Team tested energy shielding as early as 2531. In addition we also have the Grenadier variant that was fiddling around with energy shields by 2535. The armor in the prologue is a Mark IV variant.
> > >
> > > I’m sorry, but I just cannot believe that. What variant had a built in jetpack? And where is the bulky fusion power pack?
> > >
> > > And the shield testing with the Grenadier variant was supposedly a failure
> >
> > Well I’m sorry you don’t believe me but it is true. Not really sure what part you don’t believe so I’ll go into depth. Originally Red Team’s energy shields were non-canon and meant for Gameplay purposes as stated by Ensemble. However, it was later written into canon by Halo: The Essential Visual Guide that that the shielding feature saw in-the-field prototyping as early as 2531; this implicitly refers to Red Team, as the Grenadier variant did not enter service until 2535.
> >
> > As of now we don’t know the name of the variant shown in the Prologue that contains Energy Shields and a built in thruster pack but it clearly is canon. Halo 4: The Essential Visual Guide retcons these suits as the Mark IV variant upon which John-117’s “upgraded” armor was based.
>
> I am aware that the Halo 4 Essential Visual Guide says that John’s modified Mk. VI is based on a Mk. IV design, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that such a design actually existed. The fusion power pack is far to small. Hell, the Mk. V had a bigger pack than the Mk. IV to accommodate the energy shielding. As such, it just doesn’t add up.
>
> And I am aware of the entry regarding energy shielding from the Essential Visual Guide regarding Red Team’s energy shielding. That while making no sense, is at least more understandable than the Mjolnir seen at the start of Halo 4 being an actual Mk. IV varient.

Well the fact that it’s a source book, and it says that Mark IV variant exists, means it exists.

> > > > > > > > Many of the visuals of Halo 4’s opening are non-canon, as assets for high-fidelity videos are expensive and take time. Many assets were reused to save both (hence all the Spartans having the Chief’s upgrade Mk. VI). In the original Nylund books, armor permutations had not been created, and as such, all Spartans wore the same armor. This has been retroactively changed so that Spartans would wear different permutations based on person preference, combat roles, or mission specs (much like Noble Team in Halo Reach).
> > > > > > > >
> > > > > > > > Armor permutations are very much canon, though.
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > Let’s not forget however that the Upgraded Mark VI is based off a Mark IV variant. Thus the SPARTAN-IIs in the prologue are wearing that Mark IV variant.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > The upgrade is based on a Mk. IV design, but it is not Mk. IV. Putting aside the canon issues that it would bring up, the armor in the opening also features shielding, something the most Mk. IV varients didn’t feature.
> > > > >
> > > > > Most, but not all. We know that Red Team tested energy shielding as early as 2531. In addition we also have the Grenadier variant that was fiddling around with energy shields by 2535. The armor in the prologue is a Mark IV variant.
> > > >
> > > > I’m sorry, but I just cannot believe that. What variant had a built in jetpack? And where is the bulky fusion power pack?
> > > >
> > > > And the shield testing with the Grenadier variant was supposedly a failure
> > >
> > > Well I’m sorry you don’t believe me but it is true. Not really sure what part you don’t believe so I’ll go into depth. Originally Red Team’s energy shields were non-canon and meant for Gameplay purposes as stated by Ensemble. However, it was later written into canon by Halo: The Essential Visual Guide that that the shielding feature saw in-the-field prototyping as early as 2531; this implicitly refers to Red Team, as the Grenadier variant did not enter service until 2535.
> > >
> > > As of now we don’t know the name of the variant shown in the Prologue that contains Energy Shields and a built in thruster pack but it clearly is canon. Halo 4: The Essential Visual Guide retcons these suits as the Mark IV variant upon which John-117’s “upgraded” armor was based.
> >
> > I am aware that the Halo 4 Essential Visual Guide says that John’s modified Mk. VI is based on a Mk. IV design, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that such a design actually existed. The fusion power pack is far to small. Hell, the Mk. V had a bigger pack than the Mk. IV to accommodate the energy shielding. As such, it just doesn’t add up.
> >
> > And I am aware of the entry regarding energy shielding from the Essential Visual Guide regarding Red Team’s energy shielding. That while making no sense, is at least more understandable than the Mjolnir seen at the start of Halo 4 being an actual Mk. IV varient.
>
> Well the fact that it’s a source book, and it says that Mark IV variant exists, means it exists.

> Fully updated by Cortana, this armor resembles an earlier line of Mark IV

Resembles. That is a very loose word, that can mean many things. Again, this does not mean that there was a line of Mjolnir that looked exactly like John’s, only that Cortana upgraded John’s Mjolnir to resemble Mk. IV

There is a reason why they did the whole MARK IV variant… connect the dots. Exterior might be similar/same but interior components would be different.

> > > > > > > > > Many of the visuals of Halo 4’s opening are non-canon, as assets for high-fidelity videos are expensive and take time. Many assets were reused to save both (hence all the Spartans having the Chief’s upgrade Mk. VI). In the original Nylund books, armor permutations had not been created, and as such, all Spartans wore the same armor. This has been retroactively changed so that Spartans would wear different permutations based on person preference, combat roles, or mission specs (much like Noble Team in Halo Reach).
> > > > > > > > >
> > > > > > > > > Armor permutations are very much canon, though.
> > > > > > > >
> > > > > > > > Let’s not forget however that the Upgraded Mark VI is based off a Mark IV variant. Thus the SPARTAN-IIs in the prologue are wearing that Mark IV variant.
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > The upgrade is based on a Mk. IV design, but it is not Mk. IV. Putting aside the canon issues that it would bring up, the armor in the opening also features shielding, something the most Mk. IV varients didn’t feature.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Most, but not all. We know that Red Team tested energy shielding as early as 2531. In addition we also have the Grenadier variant that was fiddling around with energy shields by 2535. The armor in the prologue is a Mark IV variant.
> > > > >
> > > > > I’m sorry, but I just cannot believe that. What variant had a built in jetpack? And where is the bulky fusion power pack?
> > > > >
> > > > > And the shield testing with the Grenadier variant was supposedly a failure
> > > >
> > > > Well I’m sorry you don’t believe me but it is true. Not really sure what part you don’t believe so I’ll go into depth. Originally Red Team’s energy shields were non-canon and meant for Gameplay purposes as stated by Ensemble. However, it was later written into canon by Halo: The Essential Visual Guide that that the shielding feature saw in-the-field prototyping as early as 2531; this implicitly refers to Red Team, as the Grenadier variant did not enter service until 2535.
> > > >
> > > > As of now we don’t know the name of the variant shown in the Prologue that contains Energy Shields and a built in thruster pack but it clearly is canon. Halo 4: The Essential Visual Guide retcons these suits as the Mark IV variant upon which John-117’s “upgraded” armor was based.
> > >
> > > I am aware that the Halo 4 Essential Visual Guide says that John’s modified Mk. VI is based on a Mk. IV design, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that such a design actually existed. The fusion power pack is far to small. Hell, the Mk. V had a bigger pack than the Mk. IV to accommodate the energy shielding. As such, it just doesn’t add up.
> > >
> > > And I am aware of the entry regarding energy shielding from the Essential Visual Guide regarding Red Team’s energy shielding. That while making no sense, is at least more understandable than the Mjolnir seen at the start of Halo 4 being an actual Mk. IV varient.
> >
> > Well the fact that it’s a source book, and it says that Mark IV variant exists, means it exists.
>
>
>
> > Fully updated by Cortana, this armor resembles an earlier line of Mark IV
>
> Resembles. That is a very loose word, that can mean many things. Again, this does not mean that there was a line of Mjolnir that looked exactly like John’s, only that Cortana upgraded John’s Mjolnir to resemble Mk. IV

And has a built in thruster pack, something that thus far has been exclusive to this variant.

> > > > > > > > > > Many of the visuals of Halo 4’s opening are non-canon, as assets for high-fidelity videos are expensive and take time. Many assets were reused to save both (hence all the Spartans having the Chief’s upgrade Mk. VI). In the original Nylund books, armor permutations had not been created, and as such, all Spartans wore the same armor. This has been retroactively changed so that Spartans would wear different permutations based on person preference, combat roles, or mission specs (much like Noble Team in Halo Reach).
> > > > > > > > > >
> > > > > > > > > > Armor permutations are very much canon, though.
> > > > > > > > >
> > > > > > > > > Let’s not forget however that the Upgraded Mark VI is based off a Mark IV variant. Thus the SPARTAN-IIs in the prologue are wearing that Mark IV variant.
> > > > > > > >
> > > > > > > > The upgrade is based on a Mk. IV design, but it is not Mk. IV. Putting aside the canon issues that it would bring up, the armor in the opening also features shielding, something the most Mk. IV varients didn’t feature.
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > Most, but not all. We know that Red Team tested energy shielding as early as 2531. In addition we also have the Grenadier variant that was fiddling around with energy shields by 2535. The armor in the prologue is a Mark IV variant.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > I’m sorry, but I just cannot believe that. What variant had a built in jetpack? And where is the bulky fusion power pack?
> > > > > >
> > > > > > And the shield testing with the Grenadier variant was supposedly a failure
> > > > >
> > > > > Well I’m sorry you don’t believe me but it is true. Not really sure what part you don’t believe so I’ll go into depth. Originally Red Team’s energy shields were non-canon and meant for Gameplay purposes as stated by Ensemble. However, it was later written into canon by Halo: The Essential Visual Guide that that the shielding feature saw in-the-field prototyping as early as 2531; this implicitly refers to Red Team, as the Grenadier variant did not enter service until 2535.
> > > > >
> > > > > As of now we don’t know the name of the variant shown in the Prologue that contains Energy Shields and a built in thruster pack but it clearly is canon. Halo 4: The Essential Visual Guide retcons these suits as the Mark IV variant upon which John-117’s “upgraded” armor was based.
> > > >
> > > > I am aware that the Halo 4 Essential Visual Guide says that John’s modified Mk. VI is based on a Mk. IV design, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that such a design actually existed. The fusion power pack is far to small. Hell, the Mk. V had a bigger pack than the Mk. IV to accommodate the energy shielding. As such, it just doesn’t add up.
> > > >
> > > > And I am aware of the entry regarding energy shielding from the Essential Visual Guide regarding Red Team’s energy shielding. That while making no sense, is at least more understandable than the Mjolnir seen at the start of Halo 4 being an actual Mk. IV varient.
> > >
> > > Well the fact that it’s a source book, and it says that Mark IV variant exists, means it exists.
> >
> >
> >
> > > Fully updated by Cortana, this armor resembles an earlier line of Mark IV
> >
> > Resembles. That is a very loose word, that can mean many things. Again, this does not mean that there was a line of Mjolnir that looked exactly like John’s, only that Cortana upgraded John’s Mjolnir to resemble Mk. IV
>
> And has a built in thruster pack, something that thus far has been exclusive to this variant.

Which would require a huge power pack, which is absent from the variant. Again, resemble can mean a lot of things. The timeline for Mjolnir’s development is already -Yoinked!- up enough without the need for a variant the breaks all the rules and established canon so far.

Toa you are a beast, just wanted you to know. Let’s talk Spartan III’s sometime, I believe they were your favorites :open_mouth:

Im with Toa on this one. 343 definately used MC’s model to save time and money for the high quality CGI.

Similar or not to mk IV, mk IV would not look IDENTICAL to a custom mk VI suit. Plus all the other technical specs Toa already threw out there.

It was a lazy choice on 343 but I can understand it as it was a logical timing call that wasnt very major.

OT, yes permutations are indeed canon and have thus been placed into older fiction as others have stated with FuD