A problem with the recent Halo games that needs a repair

Take a look at this chart.

Look familiar? This appears to be the growing trend among FPS’s these days and by extension the Halo series. Something I feel is unacceptable.

Remember before Halo Reach came out? Bungie touted on about how Reach would be full of exploration with many branching paths and different ways to go through a mission even making the bold clam how you could complete and entire mission by stealth alone and never having to fire a single shot? Yeah we were lied to. Where did all of that go? Why can’t we fix Halo? Halo 4 NEEDS a sense of exploration again, it NEEDS that feeling of wonder and excitement, where did it all go? That is part of what makes Halo great.

I can understand that with today’s visuals comes sacrifice which often leads to cuts in term of exploration. I don’t know about you but I would take a small cut in terms of visuals for exploration and non-linearity.

Thoughts?

I agree… :frowning:

No Halo title will ever recapture that sense of exploration in Halo CE. Halo Reach actually does a very good job compared to previous titles, and ODST was even closer with the HUB. However, nothing will recapture that sense of exploration and wonder than the original Halo had. That wonderment came from the fact that Halo was, at the time, unlike anything gamers had ever seen.

I think 343i will be able to create the kind of exploration that was in Halo CE. Only time will tell.

> Take a look at this chart.

That link made me laugh. It is more or less true in several different franchises. At least you can skip the cutscenes in Reach, unlike Halo 3…

You can skip cutscenes in halo 3. At least I can.

> You can skip cutscenes in halo 3. At least I can.

Sorry, I meant the “Cortanus-interruptus” in the middle of gameplay.

oh. Those Cortana interruptions are annoying. The Gravemind ones are even worse though.

> I think 343i will be able to create the kind of exploration that was in Halo CE. Only time will tell.

But there really wasn’t that much exploration. There were wide environments that allowed more than one approach to a target, but I wouldn’t really call that real exploration. Halo 3: ODST had more true exploration (especially once you beat the game the first time and played from “Mombasa Strees”).

Again, the attraction and sense of exploration in Halo CE was mostly from the fact that Halo was a new thing. Don’t get me wrong, I would love for 343i to do their best to try and recapture that sense, but I doubt it will happen because most of what people remember or experience is due to nostalgia.

@Toa Freak a very good point. Maybe mystery would be a better term than exploration.

> @Toa Freak a very good point. Maybe mystery would be a better term than exploration.

Agreed. And that right there is why that sense we get from Halo CE will never truly be recaptured. As more content is released, the less mystery there is.

We used to know next to nothing about Forerunners, now we know several by name and have at least a simple understanding of their culture.

This could be far fetched but here it goes. In all the halo games we see the structures and technology built by the forerunners millions of years ago. What if this structure is something made by the forerunners recently. In which case 343i could get very creative and give us something we never experienced before. (or it could be a precursor structure)

I haven’t read cryptum yet though so you might know more about the forerunners than me Toa Freak. But like I said before only time will tell.

> > @Toa Freak a very good point. Maybe mystery would be a better term than exploration.
>
> Agreed. And that right there is why that sense we get from Halo CE will never truly be recaptured. As more content is released, the less mystery there is.
>
> We used to know next to nothing about Forerunners, now we know several by name and have at least a simple understanding of their culture.

True, but don’t you think 343 can come pretty close considering Chief is drifting towards an unknown planet/structure, likely meaning encountering never before seen enemies and such, as well as likely a whole new world as well?

> > > @Toa Freak a very good point. Maybe mystery would be a better term than exploration.
> >
> > Agreed. And that right there is why that sense we get from Halo CE will never truly be recaptured. As more content is released, the less mystery there is.
> >
> > We used to know next to nothing about Forerunners, now we know several by name and have at least a simple understanding of their culture.
>
> True, but don’t you think 343 can come pretty close considering Chief is drifting towards an unknown planet/structure, likely meaning encountering never before seen enemies and such, as well as likely a whole new world as well?

It’s possible, I just don’t believe it to be likely. But, with something like this, I would love to be proven wrong. :slight_smile:

> > > @Toa Freak a very good point. Maybe mystery would be a better term than exploration.
> >
> > Agreed. And that right there is why that sense we get from Halo CE will never truly be recaptured. As more content is released, the less mystery there is.
> >
> > We used to know next to nothing about Forerunners, now we know several by name and have at least a simple understanding of their culture.
>
> True, but don’t you think 343 can come pretty close considering Chief is drifting towards an unknown planet/structure, likely meaning encountering never before seen enemies and such, as well as likely a whole new world as well?

Hey I like open exploration and all, but there is such thing as too much, like the whole Alien ship level in Crysis 1, you can get lost in that level, but like the link pointed out, if you limit the exploration like in some games now days, it takes all the fun out of games, and it can turn that 8 hour standard pace campaign into a 5 hour campaign. Where as if you give players enough exploration, the player can spend more than 8 hours playing through the campaign, and it adds to the story and the game play.

Also, another thing that’s been a problem with recent Halo games that needs repair, the ability to change the sound settings, like turn down the volume levels, or mute music.

I like listening to the sound track and all, but some times I like to listen to other music as I play, or watch a movie, and Halo tends to be loud, and most games I can lower the volume in the game settings, but Halo I can’t.

That Chart is a GROSS oversimplification. Some games are like that. Most games are like this nowadays, and even that is an oversimplification. Halo is even more open than these games, it does have dictated paths, but that’s part of the genre it’s in. If you want open world games, go play Oblivion. Halo is actually relatively unique in the shooter genre in the freedom is gives you. Not many other FPS games combine vehicle combat, large-scale encounters, and narrative storytelling in the way Halo does.

Am I saying Halo can’t be improved upon? of course not! What I’m saying is that this is a poor argument as to what needs to change, because it doesn’t really apply to Halo. In fact, the two images you show there are unrelated. One is the map of a level or area in a game, the other is a series of lines with focus points for gameplay and narrative on it. They’re COMPLETELY unrelated, and are simply an excuse to get upset about “the way games are nowadays”.

The Halo series places itself on this chart at a 2 my dream is atleast a bump to a 3 or maybe 4.

> The Halo series places itself on this chart at a 2 my dream is atleast a bump to a 3 or maybe 4.

3 might be a cool experiment. It was done in ODST, and I enjoyed it.

I don’t think Halo is suited to a 4 on that list. Side quests? No thanks.

Something for people to remember when looking at that article (which is certainly handy) is that a 1 doesn’t mean “terrible”, it just means “not open”. Those words have negative connotations, but think about how much fun rail shooters can be. And (gasp) Call of Duty is also pretty entertaining, despite falling at a 1.5-2 on that scale.

Feel it should be the old way but with the new cut-scenes

I love the chart you posted. Laughed for a good hour I think.

It’s not that Halo in it’s entirety has gone that route, but it is that the majority of the Halo2 and 3 levels very much felt as such.

CE was funneled, yet because of the backtracking that showed a change in time, I never felt funneled. 3’s Sierra 117 intro??
WTF is up with that un-naturally carved dried up waterway other than to show off the engine? If you’re going to show off the engine, don’t do it so mundane like.
I couldn’t help but walk through the valley’s of funneling and notice the Covenant weren’t smart enough to set up position just a few more feet higher. You know, like on the top of the crevice walls and out of the player’s intended funneled route. I couldn’t help but think of how stupid the Brutes must truly be to set up ambushes the way they do.

For me, at CE, ODST and Reach had great mixes of funneled and open gameplay. Different mixes in each. For me, all 3 showed most areas twice, contrasted by destruction and time. Halo3 had a moment of that, it was actually not bad.