A Prayer For Halo 5 Team Doubles

Hello,

I don’t know if anyone at 343 will ever read this. I’m actually assuming that no one from 343 will ever read this. But in the slim hopes that they might, Im literally on my hands and knees begging for you to put a major refresh into the Team Doubles playlist.

This playlist, is one of the most beloved modes in Halo history. There is no such thing as Halo without ranked Team Doubles. In the past Halo has always done this playlist justice and it has always been one of the most popular, fun and competitive ways to play the game.

Right now, Team Doubles has to be one of the stalest experiences in all of Halo history. Honestly, the playlist is at an all time low.

In Halo 3, the Team Doubles playlist had between 8-15 maps in rotation at all times. Halo 5 currently has 5…

In Halo 3 the Team Doubles playlist had a variety of interesting game types which greatly affected gameplay style and strategy. We had Team Slayer with an AR/Pistol start, Team BRs with a BR/AR start, Team Snipers and Shotty Snipers for Slayer matches. We also had an added layer of variety with the addition of Objective gametypes as well like Oddball, King Of The Hill, 1 Flag and 2 Flag CTF.

You could literally play the Team Doubles playlist for 2-3 hours and never get the same map/gametype combo. It was an amazing experience and one of the reasons why I fell in love with grinding for my 50 in the playlist. It was a beautiful way to experience the joy of Halo.

Right now in Halo 5, you only have 1 game type. Slayer. Not Team Br’s, not Snipers, not objective. Just straight up slayer. The pistol is the most dominant weapon in the game and therefore every other weapon in the sandbox is completely useless. Other than a sniper, it makes no sense to pick up a DMR or Carbine or BR and there are no other power weapons currently in play like the Beam Rifle, Shotgun, Scatter Shot, Rocket Launcher, Plasma Caster or even Plasma rifles. It’s just you, your pistol and the annoying other team who’s using the noob combo at the speed of light.

There is a serious, and I mean FATAL, lack of diversity in this playlist and it makes the game extremely stale to play. I know that the Halo 3 days are over but I don’t see why we can’t take some elements of what made it successful and implement them in Halo 5 now.

It is frustrating beyond belief because this playlist used to have many other great maps in rotation like Coliseum, Eden, Tyrant, Molten, Overgrowth and Mercy. I even liked a few of the community doubles maps that were added in randomly These Walls, Veil and Hazard. They were weird and quirky but different and encouraged different types of gameplay.

I’m not sure if this lack of diversity is solely because this playlist is now HCS/MLG. I really hope it isn’t. I don’t understand why we would cater one of the most popular playlists in the history of the game to a small subsection of hyper competitive players. And even if we kept the same game mechanics and gametypes, it shouldn’t be too hard to add extra maps in right?? I mean seriously, we currently only have 5 maps to play on…You hit every map in less than an hour…how does that not get boring to the average player when the only gametype available is pistol slayer?? Can someone PLEASE explain this to me? Make it make sense.

HCS/MLG settings will always have a place in halo but in my experienced opinion, it deserves its own separate 4v4 playlists. I thought this was the purpose of Team Arena. I thought it was supposed to have the same settings that are played in tournaments to give players the chance to practice and compete. So why are these settings in Doubles??

Doubles needs to have the same criteria as normal ranked playlists. It needs radar, it needs a variety in the sandbox of weapons to use and it needs more maps in order to keep your gameplay experience fresh and interesting.

Doubles is my favorite playlist, I want to keep playing this until Infinite comes out and I want to have fun while I do. Here is what I am asking for the new season of H5:

1. Remove HCS settings and bring back normal radar gameplay - it is highly frustrating solo queing doubles with a teammate that has no mic only to be bum rushed by 2 sweaty champs for 8 minutes. Give me the ability to defend myself if my teammate isn’t equipped to help me survive.

2. Please add additional game types to the lineup. Even if you can’t do objective, please just give us the ability to play multiple iterations of slayer. Team Slayer can be Pistol/AR start, Team BRs with the H2 Br/AR start (so what its a laser beam, people can 5 shot pistol at 300+ yards), Team Snipers and Shotty Snipers too. - Just this one tweak would breathe a HUGE breath of fresh air into this playlist and we’d get a surge of people playing the game. I would LOVE objective as well and from my knowledge most of these maps have had objective play in 4v4 playlists in the past. I am certain that this can’t be too big of ask to have iterations for doubles.

3. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE add back the additional maps into the rotation. Plaza is great, Empire is fun, the Rig is dope and Truth and Heretic are cool too but I am sick and tired of having the exact same experience every. single. time. I que up a game. We want Eden, Coliseum, Hazard, Veil, These Walls, Tyrant, Molten, Overgrowth, Mercy, Cybercide, and Monarch. I want this experience to have VARIETY!

I want Halo to be fun to play again and I’m doing my best to stick with it. I LOVE playing doubles, my best friend and I run it every night trying to get back into the game and grind to champ so that we can be ready when Infinite drops. But right now, we are stuck with a boring experience. All it needs is a simple and thoughtful refresh.

I hope that you will take these points into consideration moving forward. Thanks for reading and I wish you all the success in the world moving forward into Infinite. I cannot wait to play this game.

• Dom

They alternated between 2v2 competitive and doubles for a while, but gave up on doubles after a while. Doubles was my favorite playlist, and my highest ranking during H5. Doubles had a much larger map rotation, including maps that I enjoyed that aren’t in any other playlist (Veil,Hazzard,These Walls, etc). The radar was the non-hcs team slayer radar, which I prefer. I would be thrilled to have doubles rotate in one more time before infinite releases, but it is highly unlikely.

The thought process behind this is legendary. The halo 3 doubles playlist on Halo MCC just went live and yes, so many maps and game modes. Halo 5 I feel like just kinda struggled right out the gate with balancing competitive and casual. The ranking system is different and it just sorta flat lined.
hats off to you for putting this together. I hope they can bring some more game modes and maps into the doubles playlist.

> 2533274854980999;2:
> They alternated between 2v2 competitive and doubles for a while, but gave up on doubles after a while. Doubles was my favorite playlist, and my highest ranking during H5. Doubles had a much larger map rotation, including maps that I enjoyed that aren’t in any other playlist (Veil,Hazzard,These Walls, etc). The radar was the non-hcs team slayer radar, which I prefer. I would be thrilled to have doubles rotate in one more time before infinite releases, but it is highly unlikely.

Same man, my favorite playlist and despite still thinking it lacked diversity in gameplay because its only slayer, it was still dope to have so many maps to at least have a different experience when playing. I loved Veil, Hazzard and These Walls. They were dope maps that were quirky and fun in the community doubles run. They easily could’ve been implemented in into a full rotation with Eden, Coliseum, Molten, Tyrant etc. We could have 13 maps in rotation right now but nope just 5.

I just don’t get the need for balance between the casual and competitive scenes for this playlist. When has there EVER been an HCS doubles playlist??? They literally have Team Arena which runs their HCS tournament settings just like the MLG playlist back in H3. Why ruin doubles??? It’s always been a normal ranked mode with standard radar and a variety of power ups and power weapons. Its such a simple formula and it worked perfectly.

Honestly for me, it just got super boring with it only being slayer. Every slayer match is a constant push to kill people off the spawn which is highly possible due to the crazy advanced mobility and the size of the maps. The game itself was already sweaty with radar but now it’s just crazy.

Like I was saying, this playlist has the potential to be so -Yoinking!- dope and right now its at an all time low. Im hoping they can do something in H5 before Infinite and I am PRAYING to god that they get this playlist right in Infinite. It will quite literally make or break my experience for the new game.

> 2533274823950531;3:
> The thought process behind this is legendary. The halo 3 doubles playlist on Halo MCC just went live and yes, so many maps and game modes. Halo 5 I feel like just kinda struggled right out the gate with balancing competitive and casual. The ranking system is different and it just sorta flat lined.
> hats off to you for putting this together. I hope they can bring some more game modes and maps into the doubles playlist.

Exactly bro, so many maps and game types that you could never get bored of it. I think H5 struggled from the beginning due to the unbalanced sandbox and how every weapon was a sniper. I remember there being a ton of weapon tuning at the beginning which drastically changed how the game was played. With dubs I seriously believe that the playlist was stale because it was just straight slayer (and Im not a fan of pistol starts).

I always felt that the competition itself was very fair in skill with the ranking system. I reached champ pretty easily but I’ve been playing Halo for years. In 5 I always felt like I was playing against people around my skill level. Like I mentioned before, I just don’t get their need to randomly make this one playlist competitive/HCS. They have Team Arena for that. Thats the point of the playlist is to be HCS settings so you can practice for tournaments. I see that as the new MLG Playlist from H3.

If we could only get multiple game types for slayer and some objectives then the playlist would’ve been rock solid, even with the advanced mobility mechanics that are so controversial now. Once again, every map had objective on it in other playlists so I can’t imagine it was impossible to just simply add them in doubles. I just don’t understand it man.

I also totally agree with the ranking system. Military ranks and the 1-50 system were just Halo man. It made perfect sense for a future set hyper military game. The Bronze through Onyx system is just so boring. It’s literally just a copy of the same system from like 10 other random games. I’m pretty sure that Rocket League has the same ranking system right??? What the hell is that lol. This is one thing that I will never budge on. Its just one of those things that was just so Halo.

I will say though, I do love the wrinkle of ranking Champions as the Top 200 performers in the playlist. I think thats dope. I would love to see us go back to military ranks and the 1-50 system like Halo 3 and then rank every person’s 50 in each playlist like we do Champs now. That would be sick and would just increase the desire to grind out the playlists.

Im thinking of making a YouTube video around this and some other thoughts I’ve had about the successes and failures of H5 and past games. The whole idea around diversity and variety in gameplay is my biggest make or break point about what makes these games fun for me. I’m hoping beyond hope that Infinite is the game we’ve been waiting for since H3.

Hopefully, with any luck, someone with some decision making power can see this is really take some time to think about how it could help improve the franchise.

Thanks for taking the time to respond my man!

As a champ 7 in doubles in the previous years and as it’s my favorite playlist, I agree 100% I’ll take the -Yoink- maps back even just to have more variety. It’s crazy there’s only like 4 maps in roto. Maybe 5 but sometimes you play 3 consistently over and over. This goes for every playlist, slayer, arena, add more maps!! And add objective game types to doubles!!! Been playing doubles since h2 and it’s always had objective games. Why is it so limited rn?!?

> 2535452704047988;6:
> As a champ 7 in doubles in the previous years and as it’s my favorite playlist, I agree 100% I’ll take the -Yoink- maps back even just to have more variety. It’s crazy there’s only like 4 maps in roto. Maybe 5 but sometimes you play 3 consistently over and over. This goes for every playlist, slayer, arena, add more maps!! And add objective game types to doubles!!! Been playing doubles since h2 and it’s always had objective games. Why is it so limited rn?!?

Exactly man, it’s such a simple thought but it’s one thing I’ve thought could’ve been a major improvement for the game overall. Every playlist can use a refresh with more maps and more gametypes.

Slayer has a ton of maps but the gametype is just pistol slayer. They could easily do Team Snipes, Team BR’s and Shotty Snipes if they wanted to.

im really hoping the bring back classic king of the hill. I’m not a fan of strongholds because it’s a COD clone gametypes and it’s only in the game because KOTH doesn’t work with advanced mobility on these bigger (but smaller) maps.

The aspect of variety is something that needs to be seen all across halo. Even on the social side, H5 has 2 separate Fiesta playlists. Like what bro???

I’m an H3 fanboy but I truly believe that it was the king of variety in all of the halos. With the addition of Forge, the game was constantly evolving and every single playlist had a multitude of maps and gametypes to play. You could ever get bored.

Halo 5 desperately needs this and I’m desperately praying that Infinite will launch with it

Great read. I definitely would be up for some objective game modes in the playlist as well.