A possible solution to rushing

Ok so let’s start it off with how rushing is a huge part of halo wars 2 and how the techer gets to level 2 at a slightly faster pace then the rusher but the rusher is only like 30 seconds behind in teching.

What if 343 made the tech cost 1000 supplies and 1000 power and 1500 1500 for tech 3, that would make rushing have a consequence without actually nerfing the units. We all know infantry costs less power and more supplies so the rusher will be dedicating his resources towards an early attack without being able to tech just as fast as the techer themselves. It takes away the advantage of having map control and still getting the same units as a techer would if he just dedicated himself to teching. So the rusher will have to decide is it really worth it to rush and possibly end the game or be behind on teching. It seems like a superb balance.

Something needs to be done about rushing, in my opinion it takes the fun out of the game. I live for the long game. If I wanted the same 10 minute game over and over , I would go play call of duty. Rushing in this game is the only way to stay ahead, as you tech up just as fast as not rushing. The rusher most of the time always comes out ahead in the long run which is not how rushing should be in a RTS.

You say solution as if it was a problem. It is not.

However, I do agree that usually the rusher can reach Tech 2 fairly quickly. I’m still undecided on whether that’s due to Power Nodes, but I’d agree that’s sort of an issue currently, teching up after a rush, not rushing in itself.

> 2533274821521504;3:
> You say solution as if it was a problem. It is not.
>
> However, I do agree that usually the rusher can reach Tech 2 fairly quickly. I’m still undecided on whether that’s due to Power Nodes, but I’d agree that’s sort of an issue currently, teching up after a rush, not rushing in itself.

Warcraft 3 is a prime example rushes should make or break your team or yourself. That’s the only reason I suggest adding supplies to teching. It’ll be more fair on everyone in general. The rusher has no worries when they rush they gain map control faster, they are only slightly behind on economics. There’s no high risk high reward in this game. Techers hell might as well not call them/us techers in halo wars just player because rushers and techers basically reach tier 2 and 3 at the same time, the only difference in that is the rusher has an army.

I don’t know about other people’s rush builds but normally id have 4 supply pads churning out resources. 1000 supplies really wouldn’t impact that much. The problem I see is that people don’t seem to want to fight for control of the map anymore. Having control of the map should give you the advantage. There are a LOT of potential resources there and even if I am playing for t2 I’m gonna be building units to fight for that. I don’t see why the player who builds units to get map control should be placed at a disadvantage because some people just want to sit in their base.

> 2533274834199344;1:
> Ok so let’s start it off with how rushing is a huge part of halo wars 2 and how the techer gets to level 2 at a slightly faster pace then the rusher but the rusher is only like 30 seconds behind in teching.
> What if 343 made the tech cost 1000 supplies and 1000 power and 1500 1500 for tech 3, that would make rushing have a consequence without actually nerfing the units. We all know infantry costs less power and more supplies so the rusher will be dedicating his resources towards an early attack without being able to tech just as fast as the techer themselves. It takes away the advantage of having map control and still getting the same units as a techer would if he just dedicated himself to teching. So the rusher will have to decide is it really worth it to rush and possibly end the game or be behind on teching. It seems like a superb balance.

You have to remember that the techer has to have those supplies as well and if they don’t build any units so they can tech faster, the rusher will win. Remember turrets cost supplies, so you would be better to leave it as it is and pump out units and turrets to stop a rush and not spend your power to tech up faster.

I think ideally, all units should cost power to make, meaning pumping out units will affect your ability to get to tech 2. Currently (from memory) only the Sniper has a large tech 1 power cost other wise all tech 1 units have no power cost or a minimal one.

Also, remember that rushers don’t just go straight for your base, they get as much map control as they can before becoming offensive. This why they can tech up as well as rush as power nodes are a key component especially in the early game.

I think a change like this might actually result in more rushing (which I do not think is a problem). If I know that I need 1000 supply and power, I’m just going to rush my enemy back. There’s no way I could afford to build units to defend against the rush AND afford to tech up.

I mainly play as shipmaster and I get rushed by UNSC infantry a good bit. Here’s how I learned to fend it off.
-Scout Mines
-Ghost
-A handful of grunts
-3 suicide grunts
-2 front turrets
I start of with the ghost to collect supplies on the enemies side. I ram units if I see them to kill them. Ramming/harassing can take out the 2 starting units if you’re on top of it. Then I scout the base at 2ish minutes. If the enemy is rushing I pick scout mine and build a barracks. I place as many mines possible in front of my base. I then build turrets, a grunt or two and a few suicide grunts. Eventually the blob of “all units” makes its way to my base. The mines sometimes hit and sometimes they don’t, but if they do the blob is weakened. Then I send the grunts first as bullet sponges, so the suicide grunts can do their thing. This usually wipes the rush and gives me plenty of time to counter attack. The drawback for the rusher is that now I have map control and T2. On top of that rushers neglect to build turrets on their bases because all their efforts have gone towards an infantry rush. The counter attack can be pretty deadly.

I dont get your ideal. If you increase the Costs for going up, you increase the chance for a rush?

Actually I am playing unsc fast tech often. Going t2 as fast as possible with Advanced gen first, building Marines while waiting for energy. Building 1-2 towers and Garage plus Barracks as soon as i get up. So if a rusher attacks at 4:xx i have got 2 two towers, plus serveral Marines plus the first flamethogs or air coming in. As cutter I build one Barracks earlier and some snipers / flamer.

If you increase the teching costs, it wont be possible to fasttech (going up before 2:50) plus getting Marines and towers or Mini bases cause I have nö supply left. This would allow jump pack rushers around Minute 4 to Hit me without having enought Units. Or mass Choppers / jackrabbits to hurt me, killing my generators. Actually they cant do much, cause they loose too much units vs inf plus my towers.

If you were fast teching, building nö units before, it’s kinda normal to get rushed. And if I rush as cutter, I dont need t2 as long as he has no massive amouts of vehicles (like 12+). So while you pay a whole bunch of ressources to get to t2 I just hit you with mass flamers with Marines mixed in between Minute 3 and 4 and youre kinda dead, because you didn’t had any spare ressources to get towers or snipers while teching…?

You guys are not understanding what teching is in an rts, if you tech why should you have a defending army, the point of this would to make rushing have a consequence. Why should the rusher be allowed to get tech 2 units as fast as a techer. You generate atleast 2000 supplies before the 4min mark easily. You can fend off a rush with the turrets right now. This would open up a new window of opportunities for the techer, warthogs could easily counter their first tier infantry once reaching tech 2, the rusher wouldn’t be able to just say ha warthogs he comes some cyclopses game over. They would have to tech first and as the techer gets further up he/she will get better units as the game progresses if the rush fails the rusher will be behind. You can beat rushes it would also encourage people to think twice about rushing. It would make a rush a 50/50 chance and if it fails and the techer gets to tech 2 then the rushers chances of winning drops significantly. Teching is not about defending with an army well you get higher up it’s about risking the game to get better units faster then the opponent. If they were to implement this change trust me you would see a decrease in rushing because if it works in every other RTS I don’t see why it wouldn’t work in this game.