A Noble inconsistency...

Alpha Company was wiped out completely during Operation: PROMETHEUS in 2537. Carter, Emile, and Jun should not be alive - as they are from said S-III Company.
Halo: Ghosts of Onyx goes into quite a bit of detail on Operation: PROMETHEUS. Spartan-III Alpha Company (comprised of 300 Spartans) were sent to K7-49 on a mission to destroy plasma reactors the Covenant were using to liquefy metallurgical components.

The operation was a success, but it is explicitly stated that it cost the lives of every Spartan-III on the asteroid because they got cut off from their Calypso-class Exfiltration crafts and completely lost their unit cohesion when the Covenant went on the offensive.

Halo Reach chooses to ignore this. Carter (A-259), Emile (A-239), and Jun (A-266) are a part of Noble Team when they should have been dead years ago; Bungie have given us no explanation on how they escaped at all.

Also, Carter was born in 2520. He was 11 years old when Alpha Company began their training. This puts him 5 years above the previously stated age, and it makes no sense at all. Why would they have an 11 year old on the same training regime as a 4-6 year old? It’s too large of a difference, and it’s an error that can be avoiding by simply changing his birthdate. This same thing goes for Emile and Jun, who are older than 6 years old at Alpha training.

Sloppy inconsistencies that could have been rectified easily.

Sources:

• Ghosts of Onyx.
  • Halo Reach character profiles.
  • Halo Reach.

Maybe they were pulled from the company similar to how Noble Six was from Beta. And about the ages, there was no set age limit, just a general age group. Hence why there were even 4 year olds there.

Old news my friend. The members of Noble Team, as well as other teams we don’t know about, were pulled before their suicidal operations. Spartan III’s being pulled before operations is official, it was explained by Bungie for Noble 6, and it was explained as part of the Headhunter program. So we can assume there are more S-III’s out there as well.

As for Carters age my theory is that when Biko was glassed, he and other children were put into cryo sleep while a new home was found for them. A home was not found, but the Spartan III program was, although chronologically he’s older than the other candidates, biologically he’s the same age.

> Old news my friend. The members of Noble Team, as well as other teams we don’t know about, were pulled before their suicidal operations. Spartan III’s being pulled before operations is official, it was explained by Bungie for Noble 6, and it was explained as part of the Headhunter program. So we can assume there are more S-III’s out there as well.
>
> As for Carters age my theory is that when Biko was glassed, he and other children were put into cryo sleep while a new home was found for them. A home was not found, but the Spartan III program was, although chronologically he’s older than the other candidates, biologically he’s the same age.

Right you are, Brandon. I’ve provided the link to the source information below:

http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&link=NOBLETEAM

Carter’s age remains unexplained, but your theory is one of the more likely theories I’ve heard regarding the subject.

Ah, I like the cryo-sleep thought.

Eh, you’re not gonna get an answer on this for a while…

> Eh, you’re not gonna get an answer on this for a while…

On Carter’s age? It could actually be just as simple as he was selected despite his age, and because he was older, he may have been trained differently to aim him at the role as a Noble. Just sayin’. We in the Halo Community have a habit of over-thinking things. The improved augmentation processes could easily allow for an older candidate.

> > Eh, you’re not gonna get an answer on this for a while…
>
> On Carter’s age? It could actually be just as simple as he was selected despite his age, and because he was older, he may have been trained differently to aim him at the role as a Noble. Just sayin’. We in the Halo Community have a habit of over-thinking things. The improved augmentation processes could easily allow for an older candidate.

Bone Cancer Quinn is probably older than any of the Spartans of Halo, being an eldritch abomination born of darkness and hatred at the heart of a black hole.

> > > Eh, you’re not gonna get an answer on this for a while…
> >
> > On Carter’s age? It could actually be just as simple as he was selected despite his age, and because he was older, he may have been trained differently to aim him at the role as a Noble. Just sayin’. We in the Halo Community have a habit of over-thinking things. The improved augmentation processes could easily allow for an older candidate.
>
> This.
>
> Although Carter was older than the others (and again, like another poster said, he might’ve been in Cryo Sleep whilst looking for a new homeworld) he may have been chosen for a superior genetic makeup. Whilst the SPARTAN-III’s had a less strict candidate selection, if ONI could get their hands on a kid with a really decent genetic makeup anyway, why wouldn’t they pick him?

Good point.

> > > Eh, you’re not gonna get an answer on this for a while…
> >
> > On Carter’s age? It could actually be just as simple as he was selected despite his age, and because he was older, he may have been trained differently to aim him at the role as a Noble. Just sayin’. We in the Halo Community have a habit of over-thinking things. The improved augmentation processes could easily allow for an older candidate.
>
> This.
>
> Although Carter was older than the others (and again, like another poster said, he might’ve been in Cryo Sleep whilst looking for a new homeworld) he may have been chosen for a superior genetic makeup. Whilst the SPARTAN-III’s had a less strict candidate selection, if ONI could get their hands on a kid with a really decent genetic makeup anyway, why wouldn’t they pick him?

Memory serving, the UNSC almost didn’t give a damn about genetics with the S-III’s. They were simply orphaned kids, filled with hatred toward the Covenant; trained, augmented and lightly pan-fried (jokes).

As to why Carter could be (t)here, I don’t think it’d have anything to do with genetics. The Spartan’s training, up till 14, is simply that; training. Carter would miss out on 5 of 8 years of training; perhaps he was already a tough nugget, and was still able to be ready for the Augmentations.

> > > > Eh, you’re not gonna get an answer on this for a while…
> > >
> > > On Carter’s age? It could actually be just as simple as he was selected despite his age, and because he was older, he may have been trained differently to aim him at the role as a Noble. Just sayin’. We in the Halo Community have a habit of over-thinking things. The improved augmentation processes could easily allow for an older candidate.
> >
> > This.
> >
> > Although Carter was older than the others (and again, like another poster said, he might’ve been in Cryo Sleep whilst looking for a new homeworld) he may have been chosen for a superior genetic makeup. Whilst the SPARTAN-III’s had a less strict candidate selection, if ONI could get their hands on a kid with a really decent genetic makeup anyway, why wouldn’t they pick him?
>
> Memory serving, the UNSC almost didn’t give a damn about genetics with the S-III’s. They were simply orphaned kids, filled with hatred toward the Covenant; trained, augmented and lightly pan-fried (jokes).
>
> As to why Carter could be (t)here, I don’t think it’d have anything to do with genetics. The Spartan’s training, up till 14, is simply that; training. Carter would miss out on 5 of 8 years of training; perhaps he was already a tough nugget, and was still able to be ready for the Augmentations.

They did care, but it was less of a concern, as the improved augmentations allowed for genetically inferior candidates compared to the S-II. Even still, if they could get their hands on a superior genetic specimen that could be trained for a special unit such as Noble, naturally, they would.

> > > > > Eh, you’re not gonna get an answer on this for a while…
> > > >
> > > > On Carter’s age? It could actually be just as simple as he was selected despite his age, and because he was older, he may have been trained differently to aim him at the role as a Noble. Just sayin’. We in the Halo Community have a habit of over-thinking things. The improved augmentation processes could easily allow for an older candidate.
> > >
> > > This.
> > >
> > > Although Carter was older than the others (and again, like another poster said, he might’ve been in Cryo Sleep whilst looking for a new homeworld) he may have been chosen for a superior genetic makeup. Whilst the SPARTAN-III’s had a less strict candidate selection, if ONI could get their hands on a kid with a really decent genetic makeup anyway, why wouldn’t they pick him?
> >
> > Memory serving, the UNSC almost didn’t give a damn about genetics with the S-III’s. They were simply orphaned kids, filled with hatred toward the Covenant; trained, augmented and lightly pan-fried (jokes).
> >
> > As to why Carter could be (t)here, I don’t think it’d have anything to do with genetics. The Spartan’s training, up till 14, is simply that; training. Carter would miss out on 5 of 8 years of training; perhaps he was already a tough nugget, and was still able to be ready for the Augmentations.
>
> They did care, but it was less of a concern, as the improved augmentations allowed for genetically inferior candidates compared to the S-II. Even still, if they could get their hands on a superior genetic specimen that could be trained for a special unit such as Noble, naturally, they would.

I must say, Mr. Lars, not much gets past you.

Thanks for the correction on the Genetics concerns of the UNSC.
Maybe it’s a combination of the ideas? (I don’t want to see mine die :P)