A NEW type of Halo game in the future?

We’ve all played through the Halo franchise as a spartan/odst during the various covenant ground assaults and battles on the Halos/Ark. We’ve also seen this point of view SO MANY TIMES throughout the extended universe, let alone the entire franchise. This is not to say that I am against the Marine point of view and Halo as we’ve seen it for the past 10 years, I’m just saying that maybe a new point of view is something that could refresh the audience.

Now, we’ve also seen the leader point of view with Halo Wars, and it was great, but it still dealt solely with ground assaults. In the extended universe, throughout the 30-some-odd year long war, the war, up until the last few years, was mostly composed of Naval operations and ship-to-ship combat. Why don’t we see this… EVER?

I think a ship-based Halo game would do wonders for fans and for the franchise. It wouldn’t need to be a huge operation- even just like an Arcade title set in the Halo universe that shows the audience better how the majority of the war was actually fought.

Now, a fair argument against this is, “But wait, didn’t the UNSC lose a ton of battles in space, and more and more ships with each fight?” The answer is yes, but this would follow a fleet that is more or less lucky and win on flukes against the Covenant… It’s a short story, and because of that, it would be a small operation Arcade title (like I said before).

Idk, I felt it would be a small, but good view of the war that most fans don’t really see. What do you all think? Not necessarily on the story I’ve said or the mechanics of the game, but the concept of a ship-to-ship based Halo game.

EDIT: Not to mention that we only know what like… HALF of the ships that the Covenant use and even less of the UNSC’s. This would finally be the opportunity to see what ALL of these ships look like.

I think there are alot of directions the Halo series could go. In my opinion, that is what makes the Universe so great. The foundation for Halo will always be the FPS. But it was a welcome diversion to play a Halo game from an RTS perspective in Halo Wars. I like your idea for a Halo game focusing on ship to ship combat, in a similar manner to a Starfox or something like that. Personally I am holding out for an RPG in the vein of Mass Effect.

I think a “True” Halo game (4…5…6…) should at most be released every 2-3 years while on the off years 343 should focus on releasing or forging partnerships with other developers to release games within the universe but not the same spectrum as a traditional Halo FPS. Halo CEA is a great start to what hopefully blossoms into the second decade of Halo’s excellance.

> I think there are alot of directions the Halo series could go. In my opinion, that is what makes the Universe so great. The foundation for Halo will always be the FPS. But it was a welcome diversion to play a Halo game from an RTS perspective in Halo Wars. I like your idea for a Halo game focusing on ship to ship combat, in a similar manner to a Starfox or something like that. Personally I am holding out for an RPG in the vein of Mass Effect.
>
> I think a “True” Halo game (4…5…6…) should at most be released every 2-3 years while on the off years 343 should focus on releasing or forging partnerships with other developers to release games within the universe but not the same spectrum as a traditional Halo FPS. Halo CEA is a great start to what hopefully blossoms into the second decade of Halo’s excellance.

exactly! a small Halo title once every other year in the meantime of the major games being made. With other huge titles coming out yearly like CoD and every sports game in existence, Halo needs something for people to be doing to change up their Halo experience and, in some cases, total immersion. This game would be a great step away from the games everyone knows the ins and outs of already and give them something new to nom on.

sounds cool, so like a squad of space banshees would be the equivelent of a grunt squad? or a frigate is a spacewarthog type thingy

> sounds cool, so like a squad of space banshees would be the equivelent of a grunt squad? or a frigate is a spacewarthog type thingy

hahaha, it’s somewhat of a crude way of thinking about it, but yes; although it be more like spacewarthogs and spacetanks versus spacerevenants and spacewraiths, and less small ship dogfighting.