A New Trilogy Makes Me Sad...

But not in the way you’re thinking.

I love that there will be another Halo trilogy, don’t get me wrong. But it makes me a little sad to think about it, because of one thing: The Chief.

I think he’ll be a viable playable character for another trio of games…But after that? I think he’ll have had enough. The Chief is old for a soldier. Even if he’s a Spartan…His luck can’t last forever, and neither will his body. Spartans were never made to last as long as he has, and I think (And hope), we’ll start to feel Chief age as the new trilogy goes along. Keep in mind he’s also had no medical attention at all since the events of Halo 3 at least…He has to start wearing down at some point. We got a hint of where Chief hit his limit in Halo: The Flood. He was basically running on empty at The Maw, and barely survived that.

My point in all this is that I don’t see Chief surviving another trilogy, especially considering his age and how much he’s already been through. I think at the end of Halo 6…Our beloved Chief will be dead. Honestly, I think that’s the only way we could see his story conclude: To die as a soldier…As a Spartan.

What do you guys think? Can the Chief survive another 3 games?

I think i will wait until Halo 6 is out and then i will give an opinion. Also i dont think age matters when you are a super soldier with genetic augmentations. However i could be wrong.

<4 <343

The guys in MGS got really old without issue, same with Sam Fisher…But Chief is ~ 40 now…

And Carnage, not to be a jerk, but there is really not need to sign every post with the <4. Or have I been gone too long?

> The guys in MGS got really old without issue, same with Sam Fisher…But Chief is ~ 40 now…
>
> And Carnage, not to be a jerk, but there is really not need to sign every post with the <4. Or have I been gone too long?

It’s a 343i support thing. Don’t get on his case for showing his love for the new company.

Also…I guess you guys are right in a sense. Still, Snake was not doing too well towards the end of MGS4…So I dunno. I still think we should feel the Chief age just a bit. They don’t have to, or should, go over-the-top about it, but Steve Downes should give a bit more rugged, aged performance at some point. I think it would bring some emotion to that “Steeley-eyed Spartan” persona without resorting to corny dialog or making him an over-emotional wreck. It would also show the Chief is not invincible.

It would add depth to his character; A subtle depth that would fit the Chief’s subtle personality perfectly.

A new trilogy makes me happy.

Shush Dfang.

He’s not that old at all! He’s a super soldier, not that old and if you include the time spent in cryo…

Your worried about a day in video games that comes like 10 years from now. I think i’d relax. Halo is in the realm of other games like Mega Man, Castlevania, Street fighter. Eventually there will be like 56 Halo games and they will be having their 50 year annivarsay edition of CE. Of course ill be 70 so im not sure that I’ll care.

What about Ezio? He’s 52 in Assassin’s Creed: Revelations, and he’s not even a super soldier. Plus as said above Chief has spend a lot of time in cryo.

John’s spent so much time in cryo that even though he’s in his 40’s he is still young.

Johnson was like 70 and he was still kicking A** up until he died in Halo 3. He didn’t even have all the awesome stuff the Chief did.

In addition to the cryo effect (which many of you mentioned), don’t forget that Halo:CE through Halo 3 take place over the course of about three months (give or take). Now we don’t know how much time has passed since the end of Halo 3, but the Chief has been in cryo. So there’s still plenty of life left in the Chief. :slight_smile:

Maybe he will take some epic super Flintstones vitamins that altar his internal clock witch makes him young again! :smiley:

I wouldn’t worry about his age.
The events of the Halo trilogy take place across a few weeks… Months at best this means that that MC is only a few weeks/months older than he was in Halo CE.
Coupled with the fact there is Cryo sleep. Although his body may be 40 years old 10 of those years may have been spent in Cryo sleep across the period of time meaning his body is actually 30 years old.

> Johnson was like 70 and he was still kicking A** up until he died in Halo 3. He didn’t even have all the awesome stuff the Chief did.

What about the laser eyes?

> …Coupled with the fact there is Cryo sleep. Although his body may be 40 years old 10 of those years may have been spent in Cryo sleep across the period of time meaning his body is actually 30 years old…

I was just going to point that out. We don’t know how long he’s been in Cryo his whole life. Add the fact that medicine has advanced really far and cancer isn’t even common anymore and even just a minor thing to fix. We don’t know what the average life span is, albeit the life of a solider is much shorter then most.

and even if his organs start failing there is always flashed cloned organs, can you imagine playing frankenchief lol.

I’m sad because it’s a whole new trilogy to beat on Legendary : C

> A new trilogy makes me happy.

Me, too. BUT, I we can only hope it will live up to the greatness that is the trilogy before it.

> The guys in MGS got really old without issue, same with Sam Fisher…But Chief is ~ 40 now…
>
> And Carnage, not to be a jerk, but there is really not need to sign every post with the <4. Or have I been gone too long?

I know there is no need to but i want to.

<4 <343

The chief will not show any signs of aging as he is the “protector” of Cortana, the same way Cortana has not gone rampant because she is responsible for John. It’s odd to say that a Human can be in love with an A.I. and vice versa, but that’s how it is. Neither will be unable to quit or “die” because they are responsible for the other. That’s why Halo’s story is so great.

A similar discussion has been brought up before, for different reasons. The most relevant here, is that most soldiers and frequent interplanetary travellers spend a lot of time in cryogenic sleep, which prevents the body from aging, by almost stopping the devision of cells. Because of Spartans’ prolonged times in cryo, SPARTAN-IIs, even though “actually” in their 40s by Earth-standards, have a physical age of about mid 20s. Keep in mind that Seargent Johnson is only a ORION subject, by 2552, he’s almost in his 70s, at least his 60s. Keeping in mind the augmentations the SPARTAN-IIs recieved, their superior genes, and their very efficient upbringing physically and nutritiously wise, Chief should be able to keep it going for a while longer :wink:

Not to mention that in “the Impossible Life and the Possible Death of Preson J. Cole” from Evolutions, it says Cole is 82 years old at the end of the story, and that he had spent so much time in cyro sleep and had his heart, liver, and endocrine system replaced, that his real age was around 60. This means it’s entirely feasible that the Chief isn’t as old as his chronological age lets on.

Then again, he has been through a lot. We don’t know how much medical care he recieved when he reached Earth between Halo CE and Halo 2, but it’s right to assume he had some done. He might be running ragged from all the fighting he did in 2 and 3, but I don’t thinnk he’s too torn up quite yet.

I’ll wait until I see where the story is going before I predict if he’ll end up dead at the end or not. Anything is possible at this point, but we need to see which direction we’re going before we can make any sort of valid prediction.