A moment of your time?

Good evening my halo Brothers and Sisters I have an Idea I want to roll off of you all. As everyone here is aware sprint is easily the most talked about aspect of halo 5 I come today with a compromise. I reached out to Josh Holmes and promised to start a page here to get a general consensus so please share your thoughts negative or positive. Now to the point What if while sprinting the player had a very limited option of shooting? This way no player must sacrifice having to shoot just to move from point A to B ASAP.

I propose massive bloom and slower sensitivity so shooting out of sprint is still Viable. Now this does not cure the effects of sprint on the map but this does prevent less cat and mouse gameplay please Brothers and Sisters keep this Thread alive so Josh can see we are willing to discuss these things rationally. Thank you for your time

You want to add BLOOM onto sprint?

BahahahhahahhhhahahajjajajahaajjHaj

The only way to fix the issues that sprint causes is to completely replace it with something else.

> 2535416100417097;2:
> You want to add BLOOM onto sprint?
>
> BahahahhahahhhhahahajjajajahaajjHaj
>
> The only way to fix the issues that sprint causes is to completely replace it with something else.

Yes I do because I am not going to delude myself thinking a game 2 and a half years into development is going to just magically erase a feature that is a pillar of the it’s foundation. One of the many problems of sprint is lowering your weapon to do so this remedies that problem.

> 2535416100417097;2:
> You want to add BLOOM onto sprint?
>
> BahahahhahahhhhahahajjajajahaajjHaj
>
> The only way to fix the issues that sprint causes is to completely replace it with something else.

As you no doubt are aware in every previous halo baring Halo 4 you consistently have the ability to shoot at ALL times except for when reloading, this is one of modern halos most prevalent issues sacrificing your ability to shoot at all given times to move full speed we shouldn’t have to do that it always leaves one player at a disadvantage not being able to defend themselves. What would you suggest? Other than just removing the feature of course which isn’t plausible at this point.

Noble initiative, but I see two issues with it.

First, looking at it, the principle is again to fix a broken mechanics (sprint) by adding a new hazardous mechanics (“very limited option of shooting”, “massive bloom and slower sensitivity so shooting out of sprint is still viable”). That’s how H4 and H5 felt and feel to be built: break the gameplay to implement a new broken mechanics to somehow compensate what has been broken (perks, sprint, clamber for instance). I don’t want any of that anymore.

Second, it would only (and partially) “balance” one of the many bad aspects of sprint (running without being able to shoot). It would not solve its impact on map design, on weapons tune, aim assist and on the flow of the game (just a quick list).

You can tweak sprint as much as you want, it’s far too broken to be implemented in a Halo game. No compromise from my part regarding sprint.

> 2533274863266427;4:
> > 2535416100417097;2:
> > You want to add BLOOM onto sprint?
> >
> > BahahahhahahhhhahahajjajajahaajjHaj
> >
> > The only way to fix the issues that sprint causes is to completely replace it with something else.
>
>
> As you no doubt are aware in every previous halo baring Halo 4 you consistently have the ability to shoot at ALL times except for when reloading, this is one of modern halos most prevalent issues sacrificing your ability to shoot at all given times to move full speed we shouldn’t have to do that it always leaves one player at a disadvantage not being able to defend themselves. What would you suggest? Other than just removing the feature of course which isn’t plausible at this point.

The ability to shoot while sprinting is an alright stop gap. Why penalies it though?

> 2535416100417097;6:
> > 2533274863266427;4:
> > > 2535416100417097;2:
> > > You want to add BLOOM onto sprint?
> > >
> > > BahahahhahahhhhahahajjajajahaajjHaj
> > >
> > > The only way to fix the issues that sprint causes is to completely replace it with something else.
> >
> >
> >
> > As you no doubt are aware in every previous halo baring Halo 4 you consistently have the ability to shoot at ALL times except for when reloading, this is one of modern halos most prevalent issues sacrificing your ability to shoot at all given times to move full speed we shouldn’t have to do that it always leaves one player at a disadvantage not being able to defend themselves. What would you suggest? Other than just removing the feature of course which isn’t plausible at this point.
>
>
> The ability to shoot while sprinting is an alright stop gap. Why penalies it though?

To not penalize those who aren’t sprinting and to prevent players from literally running and gunning entire games I do think maybe Bloom is a bit too harsh but I think the idea of shooting while sprinting is a good idea in itself.

> 2533274940426117;5:
> Noble initiative, but I see two issues with it.
>
> First, looking at it, the principle is again to fix a broken mechanics (sprint) by adding a new hazardous mechanics (“very limited option of shooting”, “massive bloom and slower sensitivity so shooting out of sprint is still viable”). That’s how H4 and H5 felt and feel to be built: break the gameplay to implement a new broken mechanics to somehow compensate what has been broken (perks, sprint, clamber for instance). I don’t want any of that anymore.
>
> Second, it would only (and partially) “balance” one of the many bad aspects of sprint (running without being able to shoot). It would not solve its impact on map design, on weapons tune, aim assist and on the flow of the game (just a quick list).
>
> You can tweak sprint as much as you want, it’s far too broken to be implemented in a Halo game. No compromise from my part regarding sprint.

I understand your viewpoint and I acknowledge that there are many negatives to sprint that cannot be fixed. That said I personally want halo 5 to be as great as it can be that includes it’s inclusion of sprint If anything can be added to cushion the blow it causes to mp the better in my eyes. I do think Bloom is. Bit to punishing but was merely proposing the idea I had at the time as I do think sprinting and shooting is a good idea within itself.

> 2533274863266427;8:
> > 2533274940426117;5:
> > Noble initiative, but I see two issues with it.
> >
> > First, looking at it, the principle is again to fix a broken mechanics (sprint) by adding a new hazardous mechanics (“very limited option of shooting”, “massive bloom and slower sensitivity so shooting out of sprint is still viable”). That’s how H4 and H5 felt and feel to be built: break the gameplay to implement a new broken mechanics to somehow compensate what has been broken (perks, sprint, clamber for instance). I don’t want any of that anymore.
> >
> > Second, it would only (and partially) “balance” one of the many bad aspects of sprint (running without being able to shoot). It would not solve its impact on map design, on weapons tune, aim assist and on the flow of the game (just a quick list).
> >
> > You can tweak sprint as much as you want, it’s far too broken to be implemented in a Halo game. No compromise from my part regarding sprint.
>
>
> I understand your viewpoint and I acknowledge that there are many negatives to sprint that cannot be fixed. That said I personally want halo 5 to be as great as it can be that includes it’s inclusion of sprint If anything can be added to cushion the blow it causes to mp the better in my eyes. I do think Bloom is. Bit to punishing but was merely proposing the idea I had at the time as I do think sprinting and shooting is a good idea within itself.

I can understant that.
Allowing players to shoot while sprinting might be better than what we have today, but it’s very hard to predict if it will not create more issues with the gameplay. I can’t discuss the implementation in itself, but it feels very risky for the reason I gave in my previous post. Again, it might play better, but the other drawbacks of sprint would most probably still be enough for me to not appreciate the game.

> 2533274940426117;9:
> > 2533274863266427;8:
> > > 2533274940426117;5:
> > > Noble initiative, but I see two issues with it.
> > >
> > > First, looking at it, the principle is again to fix a broken mechanics (sprint) by adding a new hazardous mechanics (“very limited option of shooting”, “massive bloom and slower sensitivity so shooting out of sprint is still viable”). That’s how H4 and H5 felt and feel to be built: break the gameplay to implement a new broken mechanics to somehow compensate what has been broken (perks, sprint, clamber for instance). I don’t want any of that anymore.
> > >
> > > Second, it would only (and partially) “balance” one of the many bad aspects of sprint (running without being able to shoot). It would not solve its impact on map design, on weapons tune, aim assist and on the flow of the game (just a quick list).
> > >
> > > You can tweak sprint as much as you want, it’s far too broken to be implemented in a Halo game. No compromise from my part regarding sprint.
> >
> >
> >
> > I understand your viewpoint and I acknowledge that there are many negatives to sprint that cannot be fixed. That said I personally want halo 5 to be as great as it can be that includes it’s inclusion of sprint If anything can be added to cushion the blow it causes to mp the better in my eyes. I do think Bloom is. Bit to punishing but was merely proposing the idea I had at the time as I do think sprinting and shooting is a good idea within itself.
>
>
> I can understant that.
> Allowing players to shoot while sprinting might be better than what we have today, but it’s very hard to predict if it will not create more issues with the gameplay. I can’t discuss the implementation in itself, but it feels very risky for the reason I gave in my previous post. Again, it might play better, but the other drawbacks of sprint would most probably still be enough for me to not appreciate the game.

Of course noting I recommended or propose will work 100% I suggested to Josh that the team merely play with the idea. I thank you for your insight it’s been enlightening.

Anyone else have any valid input or criticism?

> 2533274940426117;9:
> > 2533274863266427;8:
> > > 2533274940426117;5:
> > > Noble initiative, but I see two issues with it.
> > >
> > > First, looking at it, the principle is again to fix a broken mechanics (sprint) by adding a new hazardous mechanics (“very limited option of shooting”, “massive bloom and slower sensitivity so shooting out of sprint is still viable”). That’s how H4 and H5 felt and feel to be built: break the gameplay to implement a new broken mechanics to somehow compensate what has been broken (perks, sprint, clamber for instance). I don’t want any of that anymore.
> > >
> > > Second, it would only (and partially) “balance” one of the many bad aspects of sprint (running without being able to shoot). It would not solve its impact on map design, on weapons tune, aim assist and on the flow of the game (just a quick list).
> > >
> > > You can tweak sprint as much as you want, it’s far too broken to be implemented in a Halo game. No compromise from my part regarding sprint.
> >
> >
> >
> > I understand your viewpoint and I acknowledge that there are many negatives to sprint that cannot be fixed. That said I personally want halo 5 to be as great as it can be that includes it’s inclusion of sprint If anything can be added to cushion the blow it causes to mp the better in my eyes. I do think Bloom is. Bit to punishing but was merely proposing the idea I had at the time as I do think sprinting and shooting is a good idea within itself.
>
>
> I can understant that.
> Allowing players to shoot while sprinting might be better than what we have today, but it’s very hard to predict if it will not create more issues with the gameplay. I can’t discuss the implementation in itself, but it feels very risky for the reason I gave in my previous post. Again, it might play better, but the other drawbacks of sprint would most probably still be enough for me to not appreciate the game.

Ya. I mainly agree with this.

Any balancing to sprint may or may not make it slightly better or worse, but it’s still a huge issue either way.

It’s like cutting your arm off and trying to fix it with a band aid. No matter what shape the band aid it, it’s not going to get the job done.

I like it as is in the beta. Worked perfect for me and my taste.

I propose that shields slowly drain as you Sprint. This would allow less cat and mouse gameplay as well but seems like it would fair well. I hope they test this out in their studio.

> 2533274863266427;11:
> Anyone else have any valid input or criticism?

I think If sprint is in the game–which it appears to be here to stay–that you shouldn’t be able to shoot while sprinting. Adding the ability to shoot while sprint will only encourage less-intelligent use of the ability.

Cat-and-mouse gameplay that people are talking about is not a problem when youre on a team with cooperative teammates, and well, this is first and foremost a team game. From that standpoint…

Currently: Someone who is constantly sprinting and running away is of no use to their team at all, especially if he has been called out by the opposing team and will likely get cleaned up due to no shield regen. As long as YOU don’t chase and play smart, because chasing is NOT smart, you hold the advantage of position and effective numbers.

And I think that this is fine. I think the current state of sprint works for the game, and like people said previously, it would be more awkward mechanics being forced in to compensate for one that 343 is so stubborn with putting in

> 2533274857164864;14:
> I propose that shields slowly drain as you Sprint. This would allow less cat and mouse gameplay as well but seems like it would fair well. I hope they test this out in their studio.

That’s the first suggestion regarding sprint I actually like

> 2533274953442704;16:
> > 2533274857164864;14:
> > I propose that shields slowly drain as you Sprint. This would allow less cat and mouse gameplay as well but seems like it would fair well. I hope they test this out in their studio.
>
>
> That’s the first suggestion regarding sprint I actually like

Thank you.

It’s not just about escaping. Sprint creates more problems affecting a wide variety of the game’s element by. Looks like I’m gonna have to go through list this one more time.

I’ll try to be brief, listing only the main issues with sprint:

• Allows players to escape- Negatively affects map design- Forces players to lower their weapon, affecting the combat flow- Affects the spawn system, allowing players to get into back battles too quickly- Significantly decreases the base movement speed, affecting the game’s pace- Affects the predictability of players’ actions- Attempting to fix it creates even more issuesConclusion: it simply cannot exist in Halo game. Not a competitive one, at least.

> 2533274973373704;18:
> It’s not just about escaping. Sprint creates more problems affecting a wide variety of the game’s element by. Looks like I’m gonna have to go through list this one more time.
>
> I’ll try to be brief, listing only the main issues with sprint:
> - Allows players to escape
> - Negatively affects map design
> - Forces players to lower their weapon, affecting the combat flow
> - Affects the spawn system, allowing players to get into back battles too quickly
> - Significantly decreases the base movement speed, affecting the game’s pace
> - Affects the predictability of players’ actions
> - Attempting to fix it creates even more issues

You forgot forces increase to weapon range, creating long range stagnant gameplay.

> 2535416100417097;19:
> You forgot forces increase to weapon range, creating long range stagnant gameplay.

It’s actually a side effect, to compensate for the increased map size.