A Lot to Say Now...

Before I start I want to ask anyone reading this try to be considerate of others opinion, this is very difficult here I know but please try.

I have been a big Halo fan since Halo: CE, I have been playing Halo among many other games since. I have all ways loved Halo more than the others by far. This was not due to my fond memories of playing Halo for the first time as a young kid, but because Halo to me all ways had what I wanted in a game. It had an amazing amount of story to me, playing with friends in campaign or multiplayer was all ways fun, it was competitive yet I could go and do something else on the game to relax, later I could make my own creations to play or show off, and even more.

After playing Halo: 4 I was very disappointed as many others were I felt it did not stay with Halo’s roots(I am not going any farther into Halo: 4 That game is done) . Right before the announcement of the Halo: 5 Beta I saw posts containing leaked info about the multiplayer as many of you did as well. In short I thought they were fake, what I was reading at the time surprised me. It did not sound anything like Halo to me.“ADS!? are you kidding me.”, is the kind of stuff I was thinking. Than I saw the game play, I was surprised and angry. To me it did not look anything like Halo at the time.

Once I got into the beta, still angry with 343i with the MCC, all I had in my head was how 343i just messed up Halo again for a third time. I played it to the semi pro rank and experienced all of it. After it was over, I was disappointed again. With 343i’s terrible communication and there bad handling on Halo so far I felt done with them.

Now the community is torn in almost every which way, only now does it seem to be calming down. One of the reasons being Halo: MCC, which at announcement sounded like a dream come true to a Halo fan, but it turned into a nightmare. To those who say “get over it” or “wait till Halo: 5”, you need to understand that 343i made a lot of Halo fans excited for their favorite games when all we expected was a Halo: 2 Anniversary. I personally believe 343i owes a lot to their fans for that blunder. I also know that this is the internet and it will have many very ugly heads keep come up. But some of the things on here are just stupid. For one understand that others have different opinions, I for one have struggled to get past that people liked Halo: 4 when I hated it but I’m perfectly fine with that now. But in the arguments I have seen on both sides (sprint for example) that it’s just vile the things said and how close minded people are. Everyone here just wants Halo to be the best it can please realize that and stop being at each others throat all the time for every disagreement.

Back to Halo: 5. Since the end of the Beta I have been on the forums almost every day reading posts and getting information. I have since re thought my stance on Halo:5, yes you read that correctly, a die hard “Halo: 2 is the best!” has decided that he actually likes Halo: 5. But I also realize that what we played was a beta, and as a beta there are things that need and will be changed. I would be fine and content with this completely if 343i was more transparent, especially considering their last two mistakes. As we have seen a little glimpse as to what they have changed so far right after the beta, to those where it was not enough just wait till E3, I am positive they have done much more. On top of that we have only seen a very small fraction of this game, the campaign alone might be a $60 value for all we know.

Now on to the more delicate matter… As we ALL know even if you live under a rock you have to have heard the arguments on these forums. I am going to give my opinions on these so please respect it and keep and open mind and I will do the same for yours.

Sprint right out of the gate was all ways a very controversial topic on Halo, to be fair if you have looked into it with great length than you have to except its flaws, but yet it has potential at the same time. A very used and frankly a common sense idea is that a super soldier should be able to sprint of course. But, if you look into it a Spartan should be able to shoot while sprinting and it should not be unlimited (even for a super soldier it has a limit). Sprint from playing it in the beta was used far too much as an evasive ability, yes you can shoot them to stop them from sprinting but with thrusters it does not matter, I was able to get out of any losing engagement easily. But if we add the ability to shoot while sprinting this solves the issue of too much running away and the difficulty of chasing the person down in circles around the map. A super soldier like a Spartan should be able to shoot and sprint at the same time easily. If 343i does not do this I would rather them take away sprint, but I could deal with it and hope for next time.

ADS in Halo: 5 or should I say SS was a big surprise because really, it was not needed. Now before you say “well it does not have the side affects of ADS so it’s not ADS”, this does not change the fact of what it is. Your aiming down your sights, it’s ADS. Do I think its bad? No, But its just so pointless, and furthermore lore breaking. The Spartan suit all ways linked up to a gun they were holding and the visor would aim for them. That is about it really, it does not ruin the game I just think it was stupid, but I can live with it.

Thrusters I feel like just need a tad less distance not as short as Halo: 4’s but less than the betas

Ground Pound I feel is unneeded and gimmicky but it is staying so at least make it useful. Honestly I was afraid to use it, landing them was too difficult and they were not rewarding enough. In fact they often got you killed because you were stunned. Maybe make it so that the target hit is stunned?

Sliding was pointless to me. Never a good situation to use it.

I am a firm believer that every sequel has to bring something new and innovating, as long as it does not ruin what made the predecessors so great. But I have seen multiple times is when someone wants sprint removed for example I see “Sprint needs to stay or else this game is just like the others”, really? That is all that changes the game to you? None of the other abilities or changes matter? Now that just doesn’t seem like a good argument to me.

All I want to ask is that people be reasonable about others. realize that this is a beta for a reason, the only thing I am worried about is if 343i listens. Anyway, see you all in the MCC than Halo: 5.

You raise many valid concerns for the future of the Halo franchise particularly with Halo 5.

I agree with several of your points and feel ambivalent about others.

  • ADS/SmartScope as a feature did not seem necessary. The only weapons that were impacted by this feature are the automatics. Many videos demonstrate how weapons such as the AR and SMG received an accuracy boost through smart scope, which breaks the roles that they occupy within the sandbox. For example why use a certain weapon when the AR or SMG has a range not to far off from said certain weapon. I think post beta, 343i announced that they were removing this accuracy boost for automatic weapons, but I do not remember the source. Aside from automatics the SmartScope feature was a purely cosmetic change to how ranged weapons play. I think the look made the BR and Sniper feel more crisp, but others I am sure have problems with the changed zoom animation.- Sprint as an ability has and is still one of the biggest controversies. One camp of the argument claims that sprint stretches maps and leads to a negative experience whereas the other camp claims that sprint adds to the Halo experience. If I recall correctly 343i has confirmed that Spartan Abilities can be toggled on and off via custom games. (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-02-05-343-listens-to-halo-5-community-will-let-you-turn-off-sprint). The fact that these abilities can be toggled is a great addition because that means its possible for 343i and the community to enjoy both sides of the argument, especially when its taken into account that forge can be used to create maps that account for sprint or lack of sprint. Your argument to add the ability to shoot and sprint is interesting, but I feel unnecessary. Sprint already feels very maneuverable when trying to navigate close quarters, which would means trying to shoot while sprinting would be very jarring and limited due to the necessity of aiming while shooting. Just altering your aim would change your direction. I feel a better solution would be to increase the base player speed (in a hypothetical situation without sprint being a feature). Sprint and its interaction with gunplay seems well balanced in Halo 5’s ecosystem seems. Whether or not you enjoy the effects that sprint has in the ecosystem is another discussion.- Ground pound does seem like an ability that is unnecessary. The ground pound looks silly and is risky to use properly. Its charge leaves the player very vulnerable and its accuracy must be near perfect. While I feel this ability is not over powered I do feel that it is not adding anything to the Halo 5 ecosystem. Not once during the beta did I successfully land a kill with the ground pound. It was a rare sight to see someone else successfully use it.- Slide as an ability feels unusable. It provides nothing extra to movement besides an aesthetic change. They could possibly increase player velocity while sliding or make weapons usable while sliding similar to destiny which might make it more usable.Your constructive criticism is humbling in a place like this.

I don’t agree, but I don’t want to write everything down again, so, please understand me for linking my old thread in wich I say all of my thoughts about Halo 5

There is something I want to point out about Smart Scope. Actually, two things.

  1. 343 has already addressed fans concerns and are making the Beta version of Smart Scope completely optional. In the retail release, you’ll be able to switch on your classic zoom. Obviously it’s just a reskin, but apparently it’s important that it not be given more visual flare. Personally I really love Smart Scope as is. I mean damn, that Light Rifle zoom is beautiful.

  2. Something I noticed during the Beta, or at the very least in the November Beta Vidoc, is that whenever a player is zoomed in, there is a light on the side of the gun that looks like it’s projecting onto the Spartans visor. It’s definitely something that could be overlooked while playing the game itself because you aren’t paying attention to the gun. You’re too busy trying to not get shot. The projecting light also explains why scopeless guns have a zoom. The Spartans vision is being zoomed in to that point on the gun. It’s especially noticeable, in first person, on the Assault rifle and Magnum. There is a bright light at the top of the gun, that is not there when firing from the hip. It is only active while zoomed.

> 2533274801802416;4:
> There is something I want to point out about Smart Scope. Actually, two things.
>
> 1) 343 has already addressed fans concerns and are making the Beta version of Smart Scope completely optional. In the retail release, you’ll be able to switch on your classic zoom. Obviously it’s just a reskin, but apparently it’s important that it not be given more visual flare. Personally I really love Smart Scope as is. I mean damn, that Light Rifle zoom is beautiful.
>
> 2) Something I noticed during the Beta, or at the very least in the November Beta Vidoc, is that whenever a player is zoomed in, there is a light on the side of the gun that looks like it’s projecting onto the Spartans visor. It’s definitely something that could be overlooked while playing the game itself because you aren’t paying attention to the gun. You’re too busy trying to not get shot. The projecting light also explains why scopeless guns have a zoom. The Spartans vision is being zoomed in to that point on the gun. It’s especially noticeable, in first person, on the Assault rifle and Magnum. There is a bright light at the top of the gun, that is not there when firing from the hip. It is only active while zoomed.

Where did they say that the beta smart scope was optional in the full release? I’d like to see a link please.

> 2533274833600810;5:
> > 2533274801802416;4:
> > There is something I want to point out about Smart Scope. Actually, two things.
> >
> > 1) 343 has already addressed fans concerns and are making the Beta version of Smart Scope completely optional. In the retail release, you’ll be able to switch on your classic zoom. Obviously it’s just a reskin, but apparently it’s important that it not be given more visual flare. Personally I really love Smart Scope as is. I mean damn, that Light Rifle zoom is beautiful.
> >
> > 2) Something I noticed during the Beta, or at the very least in the November Beta Vidoc, is that whenever a player is zoomed in, there is a light on the side of the gun that looks like it’s projecting onto the Spartans visor. It’s definitely something that could be overlooked while playing the game itself because you aren’t paying attention to the gun. You’re too busy trying to not get shot. The projecting light also explains why scopeless guns have a zoom. The Spartans vision is being zoomed in to that point on the gun. It’s especially noticeable, in first person, on the Assault rifle and Magnum. There is a bright light at the top of the gun, that is not there when firing from the hip. It is only active while zoomed.
>
>
> Where did they say that the beta smart scope was optional in the full release? I’d like to see a link please.

that’s not exactly how he said, I remember they said you’ll be able to turn on/off every spartan ability in custom games in an update relative to our feedback but I don’t know if it will also work with smartscope

(I like smart scope)

I did a quick internet search and could not find anything about smart scope versus classic zoom. If smart scope is considered a spartan ability then it does seem possible that it could be toggled off and on, but I am unsure if smart scope is an ability.

Someone who actually presents their argument coherently is rare thing here. Thank you.

Although, personally I don’t agree. I think smartscope decreases the use of zoom as players have to be more thoughtful about it. For example, it limits peripheral vision, and takes time to complete zooming. Admittedly, the automatic re-zoom on LT needs to be removed.

Now, Sprint. It may not be the most appealing gameplay option to some people because it increases the pace of Halo (which, compared to all other FPS games is still slow). I feel Sprint really does bring the description of Spartans in the wider lore into the games. I always wondered in Halo 3 why super-soldiers who could run extremely fast, simply walk along even when their shields are broken and they’re being pursued.

Wait you can shoot someone and they stop sprinting?

When Reach dropped with armor abilities I remember thinking to myself, specifically about armor lock, “what were these clowns thinking?” But the long and short is, they spend a lot of time coming up with ideas, implementing and testing those ideas, and if they put it in the game then there’s a reason for it. I know we all have our opinions on every single little thing in the game, but at some point you have to either accept it or move on. The point isn’t whether some new mechanic is immediately appealing or seemingly game-breaking. The point is to give it all a little time - a little time after launch, not after a few weeks of TS-only beta play - and see if these mechanics aren’t a little more complex and nuanced and well-rounded than they may at first have seemed. People loved to crap all over Halo 4 armor abilities, and, yes, they most certainly did significantly alter the game. But in my very humble opinion they added layers of complexity which made me… think harder, if not actually work harder… and I liked that. Puts me in a minority, I know, but there you have it. I guess what I’m saying here is, try not to rush to judgment.

> 2533274898765950;9:
> Wait you can shoot someone and they stop sprinting?

Only in the first second of them starting. Once they get past that (you can tell by the fact that their back thrusters activate) they can keep going despite being fired on.
OT: Nice post, OP. Though I am curious, you say you changed your mind at some point after playing the beta. What made you change your mind?

Great post OP. Personally I’m pumped for halo 5. Also have been playing since CE. My biggest concerns from the beta have been addressed (flinch like twitch, re mapping ground and pound etc).

I surprisingly like smart scope, I find it a little weird that ppl say it breaks the sandbox. He reason I say this is becomes halo’s sandbox has always been broken. Difference is it’s been broken in a way we like? AR start is completely unplayable. Control the BR and you control the game, and you don’t even need a solid BR game.

Im a use BR User myself hands down my TOD. But unless I get a perfect 4shot or force an AR user to reload. I should not always beat him at close quarters. Autos have always been useles not they arnt (while in their range). That’s how it should be.

Sprint oh oh sprint lol where do I start. I like the De sprint window. If they catch me reloading the deserve the change to get away. My decision to chase or not.

They also mention the difference between sprint and run has been decreased. Making it more of a choice to make. Small burst of speed but I might get caught with my gun down.

the rest of the abilities weren’t perfect either but when I think of what is wanna add on top of our perfect trinity nothing else comes to mind.

Equipments were glorified special grenades. Armour abilities were meh I’m a fair start/pick up type of guy. Everyone can do the same moves at all times. Some ppl will just be a lot better with them than others.

sorry about awkward typing lol on my iPhone while bussing.

> 2533274932540799;11:
> > 2533274898765950;9:
> > Wait you can shoot someone and they stop sprinting?
>
>
> Only in the first second of them starting. Once they get past that (you can tell by the fact that their back thrusters activate) they can keep going despite being fired on.
> OT: Nice post, OP. Though I am curious, you say you changed your mind at some point after playing the beta. What made you change your mind?

Well I changed my mind due to a few things. One being I had time to cool off, I fully admit that I was just surprised by how much Halo: 5 changed things. The other being that I actually sat down and realized that this was a beta and it honestly did not play as badly as I used to think.

> 2717573882290912;2:
> You raise many valid concerns for the future of the Halo franchise particularly with Halo 5.
>
> I agree with several of your points and feel ambivalent about others.
>
> - ADS/SmartScope as a feature did not seem necessary. The only weapons that were impacted by this feature are the automatics. Many videos demonstrate how weapons such as the AR and SMG received an accuracy boost through smart scope, which breaks the roles that they occupy within the sandbox. For example why use a certain weapon when the AR or SMG has a range not to far off from said certain weapon. I think post beta, 343i announced that they were removing this accuracy boost for automatic weapons, but I do not remember the source. Aside from automatics the SmartScope feature was a purely cosmetic change to how ranged weapons play. I think the look made the BR and Sniper feel more crisp, but others I am sure have problems with the changed zoom animation.
> - Sprint as an ability has and is still one of the biggest controversies. One camp of the argument claims that sprint stretches maps and leads to a negative experience whereas the other camp claims that sprint adds to the Halo experience. If I recall correctly 343i has confirmed that Spartan Abilities can be toggled on and off via custom games. (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-02-05-343-listens-to-halo-5-community-will-let-you-turn-off-sprint). The fact that these abilities can be toggled is a great addition because that means its possible for 343i and the community to enjoy both sides of the argument, especially when its taken into account that forge can be used to create maps that account for sprint or lack of sprint. Your argument to add the ability to shoot and sprint is interesting, but I feel unnecessary. Sprint already feels very maneuverable when trying to navigate close quarters, which would means trying to shoot while sprinting would be very jarring and limited due to the necessity of aiming while shooting. Just altering your aim would change your direction. I feel a better solution would be to increase the base player speed (in a hypothetical situation without sprint being a feature). Sprint and its interaction with gunplay seems well balanced in Halo 5’s ecosystem seems. Whether or not you enjoy the effects that sprint has in the ecosystem is another discussion.
> - Ground pound does seem like an ability that is unnecessary. The ground pound looks silly and is risky to use properly. Its charge leaves the player very vulnerable and its accuracy must be near perfect. While I feel this ability is not over powered I do feel that it is not adding anything to the Halo 5 ecosystem. Not once during the beta did I successfully land a kill with the ground pound. It was a rare sight to see someone else successfully use it.
> - Slide as an ability feels unusable. It provides nothing extra to movement besides an aesthetic change. They could possibly increase player velocity while sliding or make weapons usable while sliding similar to destiny which might make it more usable.
> Your constructive criticism is humbling in a place like this.

I know you can toggle abilities off in custom games. But I really hope they give us the ability to turn them off just for our spartan in matchmaking. Ground pound, tackle, and the hover thing while aiming (all ready toggable) just seemed to get in the for me and I often used them on accident causing me to get killed.

> 2533274892367695;6:
> > 2533274833600810;5:
> > > 2533274801802416;4:
> > > There is something I want to point out about Smart Scope. Actually, two things.
> > >
> > > 1) 343 has already addressed fans concerns and are making the Beta version of Smart Scope completely optional. In the retail release, you’ll be able to switch on your classic zoom. Obviously it’s just a reskin, but apparently it’s important that it not be given more visual flare. Personally I really love Smart Scope as is. I mean damn, that Light Rifle zoom is beautiful.
> > >
> > > 2) Something I noticed during the Beta, or at the very least in the November Beta Vidoc, is that whenever a player is zoomed in, there is a light on the side of the gun that looks like it’s projecting onto the Spartans visor. It’s definitely something that could be overlooked while playing the game itself because you aren’t paying attention to the gun. You’re too busy trying to not get shot. The projecting light also explains why scopeless guns have a zoom. The Spartans vision is being zoomed in to that point on the gun. It’s especially noticeable, in first person, on the Assault rifle and Magnum. There is a bright light at the top of the gun, that is not there when firing from the hip. It is only active while zoomed.
> >
> >
> > Where did they say that the beta smart scope was optional in the full release? I’d like to see a link please.
>
>
> that’s not exactly how he said, I remember they said you’ll be able to turn on/off every spartan ability in custom games in an update relative to our feedback but I don’t know if it will also work with smartscope
>
> (I like smart scope)

I couldn’t find anything on smart scope being a taggable thing.

Sprint ruins halo.

> 2535443600277272;16:
> Sprint ruins halo.

Well, can you give some clear reasons? I have plenty of mine. What are yours?

> 2535443600277272;16:
> Sprint ruins halo.

Tell us how you really feel.

Maybe elaborate a bit or at least explain why.

> 2533274795233660;18:
> > 2535443600277272;16:
> > Sprint ruins halo.
>
>
> Tell us how you really feel.
>
> Maybe elaborate a bit or at least explain why.

> 2535449665894532;17:
> > 2535443600277272;16:
> > Sprint ruins halo.
>
>
> Well, can you give some clear reasons? I have plenty of mine. What are yours?

You guys should already know why right?

It’s not like it hasn’t been talked about before on these forums.

> 2533274795233660;18:
> > 2535443600277272;16:
> > Sprint ruins halo.
>
>
> Tell us how you really feel.
>
> Maybe elaborate a bit or at least explain why.

-elongated maps
-dull encounters in said elongated maps
-inability to effectively traverse map while in combat

Essentially because halo has long kill times sprint doesnt merge into combat. You end up having a combat mode and a movement mode. This is not fun.