A letter from an Exalted Legendary Member

343,

I’m not one to profess some subjectivist wisdom when it comes to Halo, however, I am a fan since Halo:CE’s release. I’ve read a few books and know my way around the ‘bible’, so-to-speak, so I can’t blame you for going all in on Halo 4. Honestly, I knew it was coming and the story shall go on as long as there are Spartans about. I do, however, wish to convey a few thoughts from an elder fan, and thus I shall confess them now.

On the next trailer, teaser or otherwise, please for the love of all interwebberz get Steve Downes back. Chief said two words in this trailer and Steve works in radio for christs sake, it couldn’t have been that hard to get him cut a quick soundbyte and send it over to you. And on that note, if he’s not the voice actor for Halo 4, the buzz is gonna get killed, this I PROMISE! (emphasis added) As well, if you do another epic-ish trailer, invest just a few bucks like Bungie/Microsoft did and get Hollywood help because this announcement trailer needed help, badly. I know 343 is Microsoft, I’m just sayin’, they were better when Bungie was making the final calls.

I’m more of a fan of the storyline/single player and every Halo story told so far (aside from the lack of the third act being shipped with Halo 2) have been epic, IMHO. It has stolen my favor from the old guard, Star Wars, years ago. So as long as we’re on this subject, don’t stray from the bible. I can’t remember whether Jason conjured a deal to prevent this from happening or not, but please don’t do anything that strays from the bible.

You need Marty. You just do. Some synthesizers and a few drum beats that don’t match the series are going to kill the vibe. Get O’Donnell on it, stat! If this doesn’t happen the vibe will die.

Microsoft has been behind some really good games in the past and I’ve always had confidence that 343 would have all of the tools necessary to complete a 9.0+ game rating from the industry. In other words… don’t pull a Lucas, okay?

So that’s it, my requests are few. Get Jen, Steve, and Marty, and follow the halo bible. Not too many requests from a humble long time fan. Thanks guys and good luck.

I thought the trailer was brilliant. The music was a breath of fresh air. The animation was amazing…I’m sure they shelled out quite a bit to have that made for the game.

And after hearing some of the composers other work for Metal Gear Solid I am quite happy for him to take the reigns.

Edit:
Just to point out, Marty works for Bungie. Not 343 so the chances of him doing music for the game will be pretty slim.

I’m sure 343i is taking every precaution to make Halo 4 a rightful addition to the story.

About Steve Downes, wasn’t that him? Sounded similar enough. Not sure wheather or not Jen Tayler is still doing Cortana.

As for Marty, you don’t need him to make a Halo soundtrack. Stephen Rippy did a fantastic job on the Halo Wars soundtrack.

This are the halo waypoint forums.
Your Legndary membership stays behind.

Llisten to the halo legends soundtrack and halo wars soundtracks, they’re good.

> This are the halo waypoint forums.
> Your Legndary membership stays behind.
>
> Llisten to the halo legends soundtrack and halo wars soundtracks, they’re good.

Just to point out some music on the Halo Legends soundtrack came from all types of Halo media.

I simply disagree that Marty could be outdone. The reason? His composition is what made the Halo trilogy magic. I’m not opposed to him not being used for a Halo game, just not one with Chief. Marty’s work made Chief epic. Anything different won’t carry the same weight, sorry if you feel different that’s just how I see it. And to give justification for that, if I were wrong, then Marty would not have been needed for all three of the first games.

On a side note, yeah he works for Bungie, but working for one developer does not preclude him from working for another as well.

And yeah, I listened to it several times and it’s not Downes.

> This are the halo waypoint forums.
> Your Legndary membership stays behind.
>
> Llisten to the halo legends soundtrack and halo wars soundtracks, they’re good.

Yeah I’m not pulling rank dude, just showing how long I’ve been a fan. Your point is moot.

As for legends, I watched it, it was great. But Chief and Cortana were not the main characters. If the music isn’t the same it won’t carry right. This isn’t secret knowledge, Hollywood knows this very well.

> And yeah, I listened to it several times and it’s not Downes.

I just listened to the “I’m here.” part about 20 times, I’m pretty sure it’s Downes. It’s not unlikely since he appeared in Halo: Reach as a Firefight voice.

> > And yeah, I listened to it several times and it’s not Downes.
>
> I just listened to the “I’m here.” part about 20 times, I’m pretty sure it’s Downes. It’s not unlikely since he appeared in Halo: Reach as a Firefight voice.

If it actually is him then the editing is horrible because it just doesn’t sound right. Which only reinforces my point - the trailer just doesn’t carry the same epic feel that it should.

> > > And yeah, I listened to it several times and it’s not Downes.
> >
> > I just listened to the “I’m here.” part about 20 times, I’m pretty sure it’s Downes. It’s not unlikely since he appeared in Halo: Reach as a Firefight voice.
>
> If it actually is him then the editing is horrible because it just doesn’t sound right. Which only reinforces my point - the trailer just doesn’t carry the same epic feel that it should.

The editing is fine. It’s just really hard to tell from two words. I honestly don’t think they would make Halo 4 without him, but if they did, they sure got a guy that sounds a lot like him.

In your opinion.

I think it sounds horrible. Just sayin’. Compare this trailer to the trailer for Reach, for Halo 3 (teaser and full)… it just isn’t as cool. Not the same editing, not the same pace, they even changed his armor while he was in cryosleep. If they change too much it just won’t have the same feel to it.

Look, if the game were about Kelly 087 or any of the other Spartans with a new storyline not connected by the main character, I’ll embrace it all. Hey, I loved Halo: Reach. But this is the legacy character and his soundtrack should not change, it kills the mood.

> In your opinion.
>
> I think it sounds horrible. Just sayin’. Compare this trailer to the trailer for Reach, for Halo 3 (teaser and full)… it just isn’t as cool. Not the same editing, not the same pace, they even changed his armor while he was in cryosleep. If they change too much it just won’t have the same feel to it.
>
> Look, if the game were about Kelly 087 or any of the other Spartans with a new storyline not connected by the main character, I’ll embrace it all. Hey, I loved Halo: Reach. But this is the legacy character and his soundtrack should not change, it kills the mood.

It really hasn’t changed, the trailer to me looks like Halo 3 is being picked up and revamped and it feels nice.

I wholeheartedly agree with OP.

> > In your opinion.
> >
> > I think it sounds horrible. Just sayin’. Compare this trailer to the trailer for Reach, for Halo 3 (teaser and full)… it just isn’t as cool. Not the same editing, not the same pace, they even changed his armor while he was in cryosleep. If they change too much it just won’t have the same feel to it.
> >
> > Look, if the game were about Kelly 087 or any of the other Spartans with a new storyline not connected by the main character, I’ll embrace it all. Hey, I loved Halo: Reach. But this is the legacy character and his soundtrack should not change, it kills the mood.
>
> It really hasn’t changed, the trailer to me looks like Halo 3 is being picked up and revamped and it feels nice.

That’s your opinion, but it’s not fact. I’m disputing my opinion, but basing the conclusion on fact. I’ll admit that if it is Downes then it’s my misperception but it certainly doesn’t sound like him on the trailer, which only reinforces my point. That being said, the pace in the trailer, the drum beat, even the halo song after the action has left the tracks. It’s cool, but it’s just not Chief anymore. It’s not even an homage to him. It’s just a completely different feel, which just isn’t cool.

I thought the music on the trailer went well with the vibe it was giving.

Good Luck in getting marty out of halo retirement he said he wanted to stop doing music for halo games and move on to something else. I hear he may even retire from Bungie.

Also to OP if thats not Downes they must have a guy who sounds exactly like him. I keep hearing that they x the sound in that trailer by 3 so any of the voices could be distorted somewhat so who knows jen Taylor might have been there but due to the sound it might have sound diffrent.

> Also to OP if thats not Downes they must have a guy who sounds exactly like him. I keep hearing that they x the sound in that trailer by 3 so any of the voices could be distorted somewhat so who knows jen Taylor might have been there but due to the sound it might have sound diffrent.

I admit that I may be wrong. Editing can do that to the ear. It just doesn’t sound like him at all and I’ve replayed it dozens of times. Again, if the editing is causing that to happen then my point is still valid. Like when a guitarist changes in your favorite band - it’s just not the same.

> > Also to OP if thats not Downes they must have a guy who sounds exactly like him. I keep hearing that they x the sound in that trailer by 3 so any of the voices could be distorted somewhat so who knows jen Taylor might have been there but due to the sound it might have sound diffrent.
>
> I admit that I may be wrong. Editing can do that to the ear. It just doesn’t sound like him at all and I’ve replayed it dozens of times.

I do see your point though i thought this at first that would we have all of our orginal voice actors back? But then i thought of how blatently easy it would be to tell the diffrence. And i dont see a game developer makeing that critical of a game flaw.

LH Justin - you’re response was trite and yet you haven’t provided any solid verifiable evidence to your argument. I have multiple times over and I will not repeat myself for someone who refuses to bring something substantial to the discussion. If you have a problem with this, read over what I’ve posted already.

Have a nice day, sir.