A Halo Veteran's 1st impressions on the Beta

Hey ya’ll

I’ll try to make this short and concise. I’m a long time Halo fan. I’m 27 and have been playing these games since the beginning. As much as I miss the old school games, I understand the series has to keep evolving. I’m not against that, provided 343i manages to make the game fun to play and feel like Halo. I’ve seen the series grow and evolve in ways that are both good and bad. In Halo 3, when Halo still had a good ranking system, I was in the upper forties for both Team Slayer and Lone Wolves. Although now my skills at Halo arn’t quite what they used to be as when I was in college during the hay days of Halo 2/3, I’d like to think my opinions on the direction this game is going is both is both worthwhile and credible. So, in the words of the late and great Heath Ledger, “And here we…go.”

The Goods:

• The game “feels” like Halo, even with all the new elements, movement options, and faster pace.- Clamber is an awesome replacement for the Jet Pack from the previous Halo games. The Jet Pack ruined many maps because it allowed players to ignore and bypass terrain vs navigating it. Clamber allows you to move around the map very fast and find creative routes while still forcing you to work around or navigate the terrain instead of just bypassing it.- Spartan call outs are extremely helpful for things like weapon spawns. I’m not in to trying to memorize weapon spawn times.- The game plays incredibly smooth and looks beautiful so far. Very few connectivity or latency problems. Shots always seem to register properly. This encourages me to take more risks when going for a clutch kill because I know my shots are going to count.- I love the fast pace.- I love that de-scoping is back. I hated flinch in Halo 4.- Love the smart scope.- Thruster pack adds some nice mobility to the mix as well. I’m diggin’ it.- Sprint. Now that they’ve balanced it by making your shields unable to charge while sprinting, I’m not as opposed to sprint as I used to be. The way they balanced it actually works very well.The Bads:

• Probably the number one thing people say needs to change is the controls. I’m with everyone else in asking for the option to completely customized my own controls. Keep the presets you have for people that want to use them, but give us the option to completely customize as well. I don’t like any of the presets on there right now. Like, I REALLY don’t like them. They are all awkward and clumsy in some shape or form. I should be about picking the right control scheme for me, not the least worse one. Let us make our own please.- It might just be me, but I feel like it takes far less to kill someone in this game than it did in past halo games or that it happens much quicker. There’s been many times that by the time I realize I’m being shot with a DMR or a BR, it’s too late to return fire or try to get away. To me, it feels like this aspect is leaning too close in similarity to other games like CoD or Titanfall. I don’t want Halo to turn in to a twitch shooter. The only possible fix for this I can see is buffing the shields or lower damage for all weapons to make those engagements take a little longer. I doubt this will happen though because that would create a new problem of people being unable to finish a kill. With everything being so fast paced it’d be easy for someone to retreat every time they felt they might loose. And in my opinion, that’s worse than people dying too quickly. So I don’t know what to do about that. Again, I could just be imagining it, or I need more time to adjust and get better at the game.- As cool as I think ground pound is, it’s pretty useless at this point. I barely see anyone use it because the payoff isn’t worth the risk/vulnerability you expose yourself to. It’s also incredibly awkward to pull off with the current preset control schemes. Custom controls would help with that ; ) nudge nudge.Unsure About:

• With the faster pace of this game, I worry about the plasma weapons and the needler. Those weapons arn’t hit scan, and especially in the case of the needler I worry about those kind of weapons being able to hit anything with everyone being able to move so fast. Hopefully they’ll have figured something out.- I’m also hoping when the final product comes out, they give us something we’ve been asking for since the days of Halo 3. SEPARATE PLAYLISTS FOR BR/DMR STARTS AND AR STARTS. There’s nothing worse than being in the minority of people that prefer starting with ARs and Magnum and never getting to play that way. Being forced to start with BRs and DMRs on a regular basis actually killed the game for some of my friends years ago. Not because we couldn’t “adapt”, because we did adapt. And we were good. But the game became stale and boring when the only weapon used aside from the big time power weapons was the BR/DMR. Give us a very diverse set of playlists please.There’s probably more, but this is all I can think of for now. Overall, I’m liking what I see. And this is only a very small piece so far. Can’t wait to see what the rest of this game is like. Once the full beta hits and we have access to more weapons/maps, I’m sure I’ll have more to add to this.

• Tipper

Sounds reasonable.

> 2533274794255570;1:
> I worry about the plasma weapons and the needler. Those weapons arn’t hit scan, and especially in the case of the needler I worry about those kind of weapons being able to hit anything with everyone being able to move so fast. Hopefully they’ll have figured something out.

This concerns me as well, because it seems like a massive oversight by 343… The projectile velocity of just about every plasma weapon needs to increase drastically, before they even consider adding them to the game. I also worry about vehicles being viable at all anymore…

Although I must say I am very impressed with 343. It’s a miracle that Halo functions at all, with these new abilities.

That said, I feel that the thruster pack distance is just too far. I would much rather they do a juke maneuver instead like elites do in campaign.

Thanks for providing well articulated feedback. Can’t wait to get my hands on it next week

I’ve killed couple of people using ground pound, these abilities ate optional and I’m glad it’s there,

What I don’t agree or hope they fix is the hover, nobody wanna float in air all the time, your can even drop shot, coz your guy will just float.

> 2533274794255570;1:
> - I’m also hoping when the final product comes out, they give us something we’ve been asking for since the days of Halo 3. SEPARATE PLAYLISTS FOR BR/DMR STARTS AND AR STARTS. There’s nothing worse than being in the minority of people that prefer starting with ARs and Magnum and never getting to play that way.

I think they’re aware of this actually. If you look at the description for Slayer’s playlist, it says “Week One: AR starts”. This likely means that the starts that feature in Slayer will rotate on a weekly basis, or at least for the beta. I think it’s a pretty good solution.