A halo RPG?

This is just an idea but hear me out, Halo is a vast universe with a story that stretches over many years; I was thinking about a Halo RPG where you start as a normal UNSC Marine and have signed up just before the human civil war. This part of the story alone could branch of into many directions and leave open a whole load of opportunities. I was thinking of a Fallout 3 kind of leveling and perk system; you could go out do your mission and while killing things you could earn XP, however I also think that just like bullet storm you could gain more XP for ‘better kills’( though not to the extremity of bulletstorm) E.g. you could get 5 XP for a normal kill - an assault rifle spraying into the torso of the enemy, 8 XP for a grenade kill or 10 XP for a battle rifle/DMR headshot.

Going back to the Fallout aspect as the story progresses I was thinking that your Marine could receive Special training to become an ODST much like the way you receive power-armour training in Fallout 3. This would probably be a fair way through the story and would happen just before the Covenant begin to invade putting your guy on the front lines.

One last thing this would strictly be a first person shooter, I wouldn’t want halo to entirely turn into something it not. (I am aware its not an RPG.) so this would kind of take to the road that Borderlands went to.

Let me know what you think (everyone’s opinion is valid) and I will add more info when I see the need or think of some more stuff to add such as a story background.

I made a post some time ago about the possabilities of a Halo RPG, according to evidence given by fellow forum members there was one but it got scratched due to being un-cannon for the Halo universe.

I still hold the hope that it could happen.

My honest opinion about the idea here is it might run in to some problems that the 1st Halo RPG project ran into. Maybe have the game be attached to a story (Ex: Mass Effect), that way it would have strong structure but still support the variety of an RPG.

Ensemble was working on a Halo RPG before they closed down. You can read about it on Halopedia :slight_smile:

> Ensemble was working on a Halo RPG before they closed down. You can read about it on Halopedia :slight_smile:

It was used as a testbed for sevral systems such as the cover system for SWTOR.

High-altitude low-opening rocket propelled grenade. HALO RPG

Merging the threads would be nice.

> I made a post some time ago about the possabilities of a Halo RPG, according to evidence given by fellow forum members there was one but it got scratched due to being un-cannon for the Halo universe.
>
> I still hold the hope that it could happen.
>
> My honest opinion about the idea here is it might run in to some problems that the 1st Halo RPG project ran into. Maybe have the game be attached to a story (Ex: Mass Effect), that way it would have strong structure but still support the variety of an RPG.

I am aware of the other Halo RPG project however this seemed to be more of a third person MMORPG muck like WoW rather than the idea i’m thinking of. think fallout with halo style HUD characters and controls. if you would like I will be happy to clarify my idea in more detail in a future post… let’s let 343 know what we want!

Personally, I think if a Halo RPG was made, it would be more in the action RPG realm than anything else. Yes, I can see what a “true” Halo RPG could look like, but I don’t think it would be made–it’s just too different from the Halo “formula”.

A Halo RPG… funny that you say that because not a lot of people know that Halo: CE was originally planned to be an RPG. Bungie was also trying to release it for the PS2 but they could never get the game to run on the PS2. Microsoft came along and saw the potential of such a game and WA-BAM we have an epic franchise.

Imagine if Halo: CE was released for the PS2 instead of the XBOX… this forum wouldn’t even exist. Man, am I happy Halo and XBOX got together.

Anyway, I do agree a Halo RPG would be nice, but it would have ot be done correctly.

“Don’t just kinda do it.” -Tony Horton-

Yeah I agree that if this is to be done it has to be done correctly; I don’t feel that the play style needs to change but I would like a halo game that doesn’t focus on the story of Spartans (though it would be fun to see them in a few select missions!) and more the story of the marines before and during the covenant invasion and also lets the player make some choices to influence the story of your character: if your character just runs through the game taking the easy route and not levelling much he should die in the invasion, whereas a player who levels a lot and plays the story should perhaps survive? I would also like it to support a co-op campaign and maybe a separate covenant invasion( though this doesn’t need to be in it.)

one more thing it should still have a bit of that good old fashion halo multi-player with complete customization of your player i.e. toggle helmet on off and change facial features.

I Agree That A Halo RPG Is An Amazing Idea As Long As It IS NOT AN MMO. I Think That Would Ruin Many Peoples Opinions Of The Halo Universe. It Would Have To Be A FPS, No Doubt About That. And If It Was Made In The Way That Bethesda Makes Its RPGs It Would Be A Great Addition To The Halo Universe And Could Even Expand Its Fanbase. If A Company Could Make It Look As Amazing As, Say The Elder Scrolls And With Like That Other Guy Said A Level System With Perks As In Fallout Then It Has The Potential Of Becoming One Of The Great Halo Games Of All Time. Take Halo Reach As An Example Of The Way People Come Up Differently; Emile Is More Of A Close To Medium Range Combat Type Of Guy Since He Is Fond Of Shotguns And Always Keeps His Knife Close, Jun Who Prefers The Sniper From Long Distances, Or Jorge Who Carries Around A Heavy Machine Gun And Is A Stronger Guy. And Then In The Books Where It Talks About Spartans Who Are Faster Or Better Shots Or Even In The Case Of Master Chief, More Lucky Than Others. If You Could Choose Between Things Like That Then It Would Create A Personal Feel To Each Character That Is Created. And As For Everyone Creating Just Spartans Or Elites, Let Them, But Still Put In Other Options For The People Who Want To Branch Out From There. And Each Class Should Have It’s Own Strengths And Weaknesses. And Then There Is The Problem Of When And Where To Place The Game. Since Reach Has Already Been Done And The Fact That If This Game Was Ever Made There Would Be More Than One Spartan Then It Would Have To Be Before Reach Since Most Of The Spartans Die On Reach. So The Human Civil War Or The Forerunner War Or In Between The Human Civil War And The Fall Of Reach. I Think That If Done Correctly That This Game Could Be A Game Worth Every Penny Anyone Pays For It. And Who Knows, Since Bungie Has Passed Along The Halo Franchise Then Maybe This Idea Could Become A Reality. I Would Appreciate And Feedback And Ideas On My Post. Thank You.

If it happens it can’t be a main, Halo 4,5, or 6 game. It has to be one of the side-games in between. Not that I have a problem with RPGs, but I just like Halo the way it was originally designed, a somewhat straightforward FPS.

> If it happens it can’t be a main, Halo 4,5, or 6 game. It has to be one of the side-games in between. Not that I have a problem with RPGs, but I just like Halo the way it was originally designed, a somewhat straightforward FPS.

I Agree That Halo In It’s Own Right Is Perfect And Really Doesn’t Need To Change. But Something Different Is Always Fun To Try

Um, the makers of Halo Wars, tried that idea, and it got shut down.

> Um, the makers of Halo Wars, tried that idea, and it got shut down.

Not the idea got shut down, Ensemble Studios got shut down. But not because of a Halo RPG.

Anyway, I’d very much love any kind of Halo game that’s not a FPS. Not that I dislike FPS - quite on the contrary. But I simply love the idea of experiencing the Halo universe and various stories within that universe in another type of game than FPS. It’s simply a nice change.

Halo Wars is a good example; even though I don’t really like RTS games, I very much enjoyed Halo Wars. And if such a non-FPS Halo game happened to be an RPG, I’d shed more than just a few tears of joy. After all, even though Halo is my favorite video game series, my favorite video/PC game genre are RPGs.

I would rather like the idea of Halo being made into an MMORPG Choose your Species: Humans, Elites, Grunts, Hunters, or Jackals. The original Halo enemies introduced. Human could have a special ranks such as Marine or Spartan. When you havea high enough level you can choose to be a Marine or a spartan.

I Have been saying it for a while, I wonder if it will come, after games like Mass Effect 2 with good shooting combat and a rich universe, why not have a Halo RPG? I think it could be fantastic if done correcly.

Also, how about a 3rd person game? It’s awesome watching 3rd person in Theatre :slight_smile:

> Um, the makers of Halo Wars, tried that idea, and it got shut down.

They made a Halo RPG? Because Halo Wars is RTS (Real time strategy) not RPG…

They had ideas for a Halo RPG, and yes I do know what an RTS and RPG is, I’m not some moronic person new to gaming, I started out playing games by playing StarCraft.
Now, they did have an idea for a Halo RPG, they had an alpha version going before it was shut down, and they did Halo Wars.

Halo will eventually have other game types, it’s a growing franchise.