A few Scattershot changes

Many call it the Lottery Gun. Some call it the Orange Shotgun. And others, a slim few, call it the Scattershot. The Z-180 Scattershot was easily the signature of the Promethean Arsenal before the launch of Halo 4. We saw it in the Scanned Trailer, and it held a large time in the spotlight during the “Return of the Forerunners” ViDoc. However, it has earned many of its names, and I think that in some ways, those names can be turned into lies.

So here’s a few changes that I’d like to see to the weapon:

  1. This part should be trivial, but please, please, remove the random kill-times. All weapons should be consistent and NOT jump between 1 to 23 shots in order to kill. In fact, not only give the Scattershot a consistent 1sk, but also increase the magazine size to 7. Additionally, in order to make it so that the Shotgun isn’t 68% superior, increase its effective range; give it an edge over the Shotgun.

  2. Tighten the spread. Currently, a signature purpose of the Scattershot is to almost create a “laser field” that can prevent people from passing by through continuously firing across something like a doorway. However, the weapon’s spread makes this useless and ultimately a waste of ammo. Along with giving it a 25% range boost, decrease the spread and, AND, make the ricochet effect more meaningful. A shot that’s ricocheted should still be lethal.

  3. A bit of a nitpick, but please make the reloading animation and function not 100% identical to that of the Shotgun. In combat, especially when fighting the Flood, would it really make sense to have to spend a good five seconds manually loading individual hardlight rounds into your weapons?[/li]
    That will be all.

I agree with you 100% here.The Scattershot in Halo 4 was not only inferior, but also unreliable.

However, I do believe the spread to be fine.
Anyhow, in general, it requires predictability and consistency which has been covered here.

I disagree completely. The point was for it to be an auto-shotgun, but be slightly inferior in every other way to the shotgun as a trade-off. I thought it was great, and would easily trade between it and a shotgun. I honestly had no idea that any people even had this point of view.

And what do you mean by 3-shot-kill? What’s that even supposed to mean? I’m aware that that’s supposed to be how many shots it takes to kill somebody, but how does that apply to the scattershot whatsoever?

> I disagree completely. The point was for it to be an auto-shotgun, but be slightly inferior in every other way to the shotgun as a trade-off. I thought it was great, and would easily trade between it and a shotgun. I honestly had no idea that any people even had this point of view.

You had know idea that people were complaining that they had no way of knowing whether they’d die with the weapon because it took four shots to kill instead of one?

> And what do you mean by 3-shot-kill? What’s that even supposed to mean? I’m aware that that’s supposed to be how many shots it takes to kill somebody, but how does that apply to the scattershot whatsoever?

By 3-shot kill, I’m stating that it should take three shots to kill a fully shielded Spartan-IV.

I agree with your points except for I like the wacky reload animation.

I can get behind all these changes.

Something that I would absolutely love to see is the Boltshot being removed and takeing any unique and fun traits it had and giving them to the Scattershot.

I think a Scattershot that had the Boltshot’s blast as a secondary firing mode would be great. Both firing modes would need adjustments of course but overall I think a Shotgun weapon with one rapid fire mode and a super charged mode would result in a new and unique weapon for Halo’s sandbox.

I think of the Scattershot as the poor mans Flak Cannon.

I think the Scattershot was very likely inspired by it but it didn’t retain a lot of the stuff that made the Flak Cannon enjoyable. The Ricochet ability for one should actually be useful, it shouldn’t just be a pretty effect.

I would like to see these changes, good thread OP!

Wow I guess I’ve been in the minority since day one.I dont see why my friends and many others say its unreliable and difficult to use other than the wide spread.
Its superior than the shotgun. Now I say that for a couple of reasons:
°It has a faster fire rate
°It has further insta-kill range
°It can ricochet off surfaces
Honestly I believe if people practiced more with it they’d see its superiority. Just a personal observation,when you fire it I noticed the bullets fly up and to the left so I started to adjust my aim when I use to think this gun blew and I began to become more adept with it.
Now on the other hand I definitely know why you guys say it’s unreliable,I have poured to a clip and a half into a Spartan and they still wouldn’t go down, but the scattershot is supposed to behave uniquely and making it a 3Sk is a bit to much don’t you think I mean its a promethean shotgun.

I can agree with most of it, though I would say a three shot kill is a little excessive.

Forerunner weapons should feel like they are the most lethal, but not without drawbacks. If its going to be a multi shot kill than the rate of fire should be bumped up a bit so the scattershot has better DPS while the shotgun has a more powerful single shot.

> > I disagree completely. The point was for it to be an auto-shotgun, but be slightly inferior in every other way to the shotgun as a trade-off. I thought it was great, and would easily trade between it and a shotgun. I honestly had no idea that any people even had this point of view.
>
> You had know idea that people were complaining that they had no way of knowing whether they’d die with the weapon because it took four shots to kill instead of one?
>
>
>
> > And what do you mean by 3-shot-kill? What’s that even supposed to mean? I’m aware that that’s supposed to be how many shots it takes to kill somebody, but how does that apply to the scattershot whatsoever?
>
> By 3-shot kill, I’m stating that it should take three shots to kill a fully shielded Spartan-IV.

The scattershot is a shotgun, even at close ranges the shotgun can kill a fully shielded Spartan in one shot so at close range the scattersot should do the same.

I agree with Scattershot having tighter spread, but not too much. When you think about it, that Scattershot already has the advantage of higher rof, and it is still capable of 1sk like UNSC shotgun. It shouldn’t be 3sk…

I’d like for the projectiles to have longer banking distance and distance in general, at the cost of losing a little tightness in spread…

I agree with everything in the OP.

Except for point 3, since i actually like the reloading animation.

> I agree with you 100% here.The Scattershot in Halo 4 was not only inferior, but also unreliable.
>
> However, <mark>I do believe the spread to be fine</mark>.
> Anyhow, in general, it requires predictability and consistency which has been covered here.

The spread is what made it random though.

> > I disagree completely. The point was for it to be an auto-shotgun, but be slightly inferior in every other way to the shotgun as a trade-off. I thought it was great, and would easily trade between it and a shotgun. I honestly had no idea that any people even had this point of view.
>
> You had know idea that people were complaining that they had no way of knowing whether they’d die with the weapon because it took four shots to kill instead of one?
>
>
>
> > And what do you mean by 3-shot-kill? What’s that even supposed to mean? I’m aware that that’s supposed to be how many shots it takes to kill somebody, but how does that apply to the scattershot whatsoever?
>
> By 3-shot kill, I’m stating that it should take three shots to kill a fully shielded Spartan-IV.

It can kill in one shot, though. What gun have you been using? It’s basically a shotgun. You can’t just say “3-shot-kill” without stating a range, because it can go anywhere from 1 to infinity on a shotgun. Not to mention, saying “3sk” about it is pointless when it potentially can kill in one shot, let alone being just a plain inaccurate description. All of my points still stand.

I do like how it can fire around corners and such.

Yet if you make it too accurate, you’re probably never going to hit anything behind a corner except by sheer luck.

Perhaps if each time it ricocheted it spread out more, or perhaps even multiplied into more projectiles. Obviously cutting off after a specific distance so you don’t have thousands of them all over the map.

> The point was for it to be an auto-shotgun, but be slightly inferior in every other way to the shotgun as a trade-off

I don’t think it needs to richochet, or even be forerunner, to accomplish this though.

I’ve never understood the hate for the scattershot. It was both my first mastered weapon and it also granted me my first perfection. The only time I have found it to be truly unpredictable was 100% due to lag.

In a direct fight against a shotgun it is supposed to be inferior in regards to 1sk range, but if you engage intelligently outside 1sk range for shotty then you should win every time with scattershot’s superior range and ROF.

Besides being slightly more predictable and lag friendly (yay dedicated servers), I think an added feature of ricochet shots doing significantly increased damage would make it an awesome and skillful weapon. That way, at the unpredictable range people seem to dislike, you could ricochet the shots within what I’ll call the predictable range into this unpredictable range for increased functionality, control, and dynamic/intelligent gameplay.

> > > I disagree completely. The point was for it to be an auto-shotgun, but be slightly inferior in every other way to the shotgun as a trade-off. I thought it was great, and would easily trade between it and a shotgun. I honestly had no idea that any people even had this point of view.
> >
> > You had know idea that people were complaining that they had no way of knowing whether they’d die with the weapon because it took four shots to kill instead of one?
> >
> >
> >
> > > And what do you mean by 3-shot-kill? What’s that even supposed to mean? I’m aware that that’s supposed to be how many shots it takes to kill somebody, but how does that apply to the scattershot whatsoever?
> >
> > By 3-shot kill, I’m stating that it should take three shots to kill a fully shielded Spartan-IV.
>
> It can kill in one shot, though. What gun have you been using? It’s basically a shotgun. You can’t just say “3-shot-kill” without stating a range, because it can go anywhere from 1 to infinity on a shotgun. Not to mention, saying “3sk” about it is pointless when it potentially can kill in one shot, let alone being just a plain inaccurate description. All of my points still stand.

Did you notice that I said “should” in my sentence?

Not that that’s my opinion anymore, because I edited the OP to say 0sk rather than 3sk.

> > > > I disagree completely. The point was for it to be an auto-shotgun, but be slightly inferior in every other way to the shotgun as a trade-off. I thought it was great, and would easily trade between it and a shotgun. I honestly had no idea that any people even had this point of view.
> > >
> > > You had know idea that people were complaining that they had no way of knowing whether they’d die with the weapon because it took four shots to kill instead of one?
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > > And what do you mean by 3-shot-kill? What’s that even supposed to mean? I’m aware that that’s supposed to be how many shots it takes to kill somebody, but how does that apply to the scattershot whatsoever?
> > >
> > > By 3-shot kill, I’m stating that it should take three shots to kill a fully shielded Spartan-IV.
> >
> > It can kill in one shot, though. What gun have you been using? It’s basically a shotgun. You can’t just say “3-shot-kill” without stating a range, because it can go anywhere from 1 to infinity on a shotgun. Not to mention, saying “3sk” about it is pointless when it potentially can kill in one shot, let alone being just a plain inaccurate description. All of my points still stand.
>
> Did you notice that I said “should” in my sentence?
>
> Not that that’s my opinion anymore, because I edited the OP to say 0sk rather than 3sk.

Ah.
…Wait, why? weren’t arguing for buffing the Scattershot? Why would making it 3sk (point-blank, I’m guessing) be an improvement…?

No wait, you were arguing for 3sk, but then you changed it to 0sk (which doesn’t make any sense), so you were… You… Uhhhh… I… Ummmm… Okay, I’m not getting something. Help me out here.

> > > > > I disagree completely. The point was for it to be an auto-shotgun, but be slightly inferior in every other way to the shotgun as a trade-off. I thought it was great, and would easily trade between it and a shotgun. I honestly had no idea that any people even had this point of view.
> > > >
> > > > You had know idea that people were complaining that they had no way of knowing whether they’d die with the weapon because it took four shots to kill instead of one?
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > > And what do you mean by 3-shot-kill? What’s that even supposed to mean? I’m aware that that’s supposed to be how many shots it takes to kill somebody, but how does that apply to the scattershot whatsoever?
> > > >
> > > > By 3-shot kill, I’m stating that it should take three shots to kill a fully shielded Spartan-IV.
> > >
> > > It can kill in one shot, though. What gun have you been using? It’s basically a shotgun. You can’t just say “3-shot-kill” without stating a range, because it can go anywhere from 1 to infinity on a shotgun. Not to mention, saying “3sk” about it is pointless when it potentially can kill in one shot, let alone being just a plain inaccurate description. All of my points still stand.
> >
> > Did you notice that I said “should” in my sentence?
> >
> > Not that that’s my opinion anymore, because I edited the OP to say 0sk rather than 3sk.
>
> No wait, you were arguing for 3sk, but then you changed it to 0sk (which doesn’t make any sense), so you were… You… Uhhhh… I… Ummmm… Okay, I’m not getting something. Help me out here.

I changed my mind. I began to realize that a 3sk Scattershot would always be defeated by a Shotgun (or any other CQC weapon) at close range.