A few MM problems IMO that need to be fixed for H4

I was playing reach last night and a couple of things about the way reach’s matchmaking works kind of annoy me. Im sure many of you will feel the same when I flesh them out a bit. As like most people, I feel that the way MM was set up in previous halo games were vastly superior to the way they are now with reach. I have 5 main problems with the Matchmaking system in place.

  1. I believe that there are too many playlists right now in reach. Too many, you say? Yes, too many. Team slayer, team objective, infection, premium battle, Arena, Action sac, grifball, score attack, firefight this, firefight that. Everytime a new playlist is introduced, players from other playlists leave a previous playlist, further spreading out the community. My solution, consolidate where ever possible.

  2. Halo MM has always thrived on the Ranked + Social way of dividing up the “hardcore” from the ?Fool around…ers? but reach has dropped the ball in that department. I don’t know what playlist will be serious and what playlist I’ll be chasing around rings with a rocket launcher and a warthog. The new version of ranked is arena but it offers little variation in terms of gametypes and many players, myself included, don’t have the time to play EVERY SINGLE DAY to get the ranks they deserve. Ranked and social is a clearcut way to say “whos serious today and who just wants to chill”

  3. Speaking of ranked. 343 needs to bring back the 1-50 ranking system. Its awesome to have ranks like colonel grade 2 or whatever but that doesn’t show how skilled a player is. If im against a player and I see that he is a level 50 in team slayer, I know that this guy is the real deal and my K/D for the game will probably be negative something. But if I see a guy in reach thats a general, I think, “wow… that guy has played alot.” 1-50 ranking purely shows how skilled you are, not how long you have been playing. The 1-50 ranking also tells other players about YOUR POTENTIAL SKILL. I was decent at H3 but I never got above a 45 in any playlist because I wasn’t good enough to be above a 45. In reach, if you play enough, all the ranks will eventually come your way… or 343 could just have both systems like H3. hmm

  4. Bring back the veto!!! Why? Look at your recent game history guys. If you play mlg or TS or any other playlist where there are a mix of gametypes, what gametype do people 99% of the time pick? Thats right, slayer. Im the guy who votes for CTF and the other 7 vote for slayer. Halo 3’s voting system was amazing because if people didn’t want oddball on construct, the game could then give them CTF on the Pit. There, done, no questions asked. Sometimes players got slayer, after a veto, sometimes KOTH, and maybe sometimes guardian instead of valhala. With the veto, all gametimes (and maps for that matter) were played. Now im lucky if i can convince a few people to vote CTF with me. Give me a veto or don’t give me any choice at all.

  5. Finally, map variation. In previous halo’s, I truely never knew what map I was going to play. Lockout? maybe Beaver Creek? nope its Midship. I got to see every map, know its ins and outs, know where the weapons spawn. In reach I can say that I will 9 times out of ten play zealot, countdown, or asylum. I don’t even know what some of the other maps look like because in most playlists only 3-4 maps are actually used. Other halo games gave you this “sometimes you win, sometimes you dont” thing with maps. Maybe the game didn’t give you your favorite map but if you play ten matches, you might get it 2-3 times. In reach only the very popular maps are chosen so other maps don’t get love. Give the maps love, 343!

I want to stress that these five points are my opinion and you guys may have different thoughts. If 343 makes some of these changes though, I can promise that H4 will be a better MM experience

good to know i spent time on this for nothing

I posted this in another thread a few days ago and I definitely agree with you. Here’s what I had.

Here’s what I think they should do:

1 - combine both premium battle and slayer (most I see in either playlist is 1500 in prime time). Social slayer in H3 still has almost double that on any given day.
2 - Make Grifball, Action Sack appear in some weekend playlist. I would include Living Dead here but for some reason it’s the most popular playlist in Reach so I’ll leave that one out. You could add Team Classic to this list since it rarely gets over 500 people now (either that or just delete it since it failed).

I would certainly be open to combining the slayer playlists, but AL would have to go. With these changes we would still have quite a bit of variety (14 MP playlists with extras on the w/e) and we wouldn’t end up playing the same ppl often. Those are just some ideas I had and I think it would be a good start to bring more of the population together

exactly. Theres a lot of little things that 343 needs to tweak/change completely to make H4 a truely great shooter

> 1. I believe that there are too many playlists right now in reach. Too many, you say? Yes, too many. Team slayer, team objective, infection, premium battle, Arena, Action sac, grifball, score attack, firefight this, firefight that. Everytime a new playlist is introduced, players from other playlists leave a previous playlist, further spreading out the community. My solution, consolidate where ever possible.

The only playlists that could entertain the notion of being condensed would be Invasion. Everything else is too different from it’s closest similar gametype.

And condensing similarly playlists anyway is just going to infuriate the players of both playlists. I don’t want to play Grifball in Team Objective. I also don’t want to play Infection in Rumble Pit. Nor SWAT in Team Slayer.

> 2. Halo MM has always thrived on the Ranked + Social way of dividing up the “hardcore” from the ?Fool around…ers? but reach has dropped the ball in that department. I don’t know what playlist will be serious and what playlist I’ll be chasing around rings with a rocket launcher and a warthog. The new version of ranked is arena but it offers little variation in terms of gametypes and many players, myself included, don’t have the time to play EVERY SINGLE DAY to get the ranks they deserve. Ranked and social is a clearcut way to say “whos serious today and who just wants to chill”

Arena does need more variety, I feel that it should go back to how it was at the start, being a seperate playlist grouping rather than being bundled in the Competitive hopper.

> 3. Speaking of ranked. 343 needs to bring back the 1-50 ranking system. Its awesome to have ranks like colonel grade 2 or whatever but that doesn’t show how skilled a player is. If im against a player and I see that he is a level 50 in team slayer, I know that this guy is the real deal and my K/D for the game will probably be negative something. But if I see a guy in reach thats a general, I think, “wow… that guy has played alot.” 1-50 ranking purely shows how skilled you are, not how long you have been playing. The 1-50 ranking also tells other players about YOUR POTENTIAL SKILL. I was decent at H3 but I never got above a 45 in any playlist because I wasn’t good enough to be above a 45. In reach, if you play enough, all the ranks will eventually come your way… or 343 could just have both systems like H3. hmm

No. They need to make Arena ranks more visible outside of Arena. That is the problem you’re describing: I don’t know how skilled someone is because their military rank doesn’t reflect that. Simply converting Arena ranks to 1-50 isn’t going to fix that.

1-50 had it’s own set of flaws. Arena improves this by offering another 58 ranks to seperate player skill and sorts them in a meaningful way: Against each other rather than some yardstick that is way to short for some players.

> 4. Bring back the veto!!! Why? Look at your recent game history guys. If you play mlg or TS or any other playlist where there are a mix of gametypes, what gametype do people 99% of the time pick? Thats right, slayer. Im the guy who votes for CTF and the other 7 vote for slayer. Halo 3’s voting system was amazing because if people didn’t want oddball on construct, the game could then give them CTF on the Pit. There, done, no questions asked. Sometimes players got slayer, after a veto, sometimes KOTH, and maybe sometimes guardian instead of valhala. With the veto, all gametimes (and maps for that matter) were played. Now im lucky if i can convince a few people to vote CTF with me. Give me a veto or don’t give me any choice at all.

Do that and you’re libel to end up with people leaving more mixed gametypes for the pure slayer experience. The vast majority of Halo players don’t like Objective.

> 5. Finally, map variation. In previous halo’s, I truely never knew what map I was going to play. Lockout? maybe Beaver Creek? nope its Midship. I got to see every map, know its ins and outs, know where the weapons spawn. In reach I can say that I will 9 times out of ten play zealot, countdown, or asylum. I don’t even know what some of the other maps look like because in most playlists only 3-4 maps are actually used. Other halo games gave you this “sometimes you win, sometimes you dont” thing with maps. Maybe the game didn’t give you your favorite map but if you play ten matches, you might get it 2-3 times. In reach only the very popular maps are chosen so other maps don’t get love. Give the maps love, 343

This also is a result of giving players more choice in the matter. The only thing I can say would be to even out the % for each map and force DLC for most playlists.

> I can promise that H4 will be a better MM experience.

I can say for certain that you think it would be, but that it would objectively be better? I can’t trust that.

You are the first person that I have ever heard praise arena and detest 1-50. How is 1-50 bad? If im good enough I can get to a 50, but If im not I wont. Sounds like a true skill marker to me. Also arena requires you to play consistantly (like everyday). I have a life outside of video games so sometimes I can touch Halo for a week or even a month. So you want my true skill rank to suffer because i cant play everyday? 1-50 doesn’t require me to play everyday. From the way you just took every single point I had and tried to tear it down shows me that you want NOTHING to change for H4. I took the good points of Halo 1-3 matchmaking (points that reach did horribly). Tell me how any of the MM decisions that I pointed out that reach did are better than halo 1-3 and back it up

Why is this even … forget it. Stupid is as stupid does.

> You are the first person that I have ever heard praise arena and detest 1-50. How is 1-50 bad?

Because there were 50’s who managed to just barely scrap in, and then there are 50s that could sneeze and kill entire teams. Arena seperates them from bottom rung Onyx and 1% Onyx.

> Also arena requires you to play consistantly (like everyday). I have a life outside of video games so sometimes I can touch Halo for a week or even a month. So you want my true skill rank to suffer because i cant play everyday? 1-50 doesn’t require me to play everyday.

You’re rank doesn’t decay over time. It only drops if someone gets better than you and pushes you out. I played S8 for about a month then stopped. I’m still 25% Gold.

And you don’t have to play everyday. Just enough to get rated. That’s four games a day. Assuming 15 min a game, one hour out of your life. Tehn do that four more times over three months.

> From the way you just took every single point I had and tried to tear it down shows me that you want NOTHING to change for H4. I took the good points of Halo 1-3 matchmaking (points that reach did horribly). Tell me how any of the MM decisions that I pointed out that reach did are better than halo 1-3 and back it up

Oh don’t play that.

Arena is fine for ranking but I myself find a few flaws with it.

1)rank is not displayed in everyplaylist - If i go onyx i want my little medal next to my name in living dead, ts, griffball, objective etc

there is no point bustign your as for an online rnak when no one else other than youself will see it. to even get to an arena rnak on a player you have to go through 5 menus. I gurantee if arena rank was displayed more players would strive to get it

  1. it takes a day to see what new rank you are. you could win 50 games straight and not see your rank improve. you have to wait the next day. I want my instant gratification ala H2, and H3.