A Few Forum Suggestions

This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not repost content a moderator has removed, repost a topic that has been locked, or post about forum moderation decisions. If you have a question or concern about a forum moderation decision, please private message the applicable moderator.

*Original post. Click at your own discretion.

I have had some experience dealing with moderators, they do good work, but I think the forums could be a much better place to discuss if a few ideas were put into effect.

1. When you ban someone, there should be a message of warning before so they can try to explain if it was a misunderstanding or something. Of course, if they do something like bypass the language filter with hyphens and such, there is no way that could be explained, they knew what they were doing. However, I had a 5 day ban one time for posting a joke. A moderator took it as spam, for some reason, and proceeded to ban me. I posted “No, you! Oh and welcome to Waypoint”, which didn’t really contribute, but did I deserve a 5 day ban for it? With my experience, a message telling me what I did wrong would be really helpful. As it stands, you get that message, but only after you are banned so there is no way to view it.
    tl;dr- People should be warned before being banned so they can try to make the moderator understand what they were doing.

2. I think there should be more moderators. Many horrible posts slip through because not enough moderators are online watching. Just now, a thread with the n word in the title was live for at least a half hour. Every one was reporting, including me, and it stayed there. I love the community on here, but if something like that can happen, there is some kind of problem.
    tl;dr- More mods would be very helpful, there are many cases where bad language, leaks, etc. slip through.

3. I think it would be pretty cool to have a section of the forum where you can do anything (except like spam ads and spew hatred) Some people just need to talk about a topic and use language. Some people really want to hear opinions on leaks and such. I think it would be a great addition. However, I think that there must be some kind of way where you submit the thread, a moderator assigns the appropriate warnings to it, and then it goes live. So, say, I post about a leak, and also use language. The mod would set the warning to display “Warning- Contains language and discussion of leaks” so that people who don’t want to see it can avoid it.
    tl;dr- There should be a forum section that allows for any discussion, but there should be warnings assigned to them so that people don’t fall into a thread they don’t want to be in.

4. Honestly, people need to lighten up. Although there are people that do post horrible threads and posts, some things just don’t deserve a ban. I posted about a leak, but I had no idea it was a leak. Later in the thread, I clarified that I did not know when I posted and I apologized, yet was still assigned a temporary ban. I don’t know why stuff like that deserves a ban, as in if someone bypasses the language filter just once to prove a point.
    tl;dr- Some things just don’t deserve a ban. Rules should be lightened just a little bit, but only a little mind you.

I think the moderators do a good job, they really do. I attempt to follow the guidelines as closely as possible, but sometimes I make a mistake. I think some of these ideas would stop some problems on the forums, and form a better community as a whole. Thank you for reading, if you got all the way, good job, here is a cookie (::).

And please, don’t ban me! :slight_smile:

If you have an issue with your ban, you can contact us on twitter since we all have our twitter handles in our siggies.

As far as the rest, you agreed to the Forum Guidelines and Forum Rules when you signed up. You don’t have to agree with them but you DO have to follow them.

If you’re unsure if it’s a leak, don’t post it. If you’re unsure, err on the side of caution and don’t post it.

> I think it would be pretty cool to have a section of the forum where you can do anything (except like spam ads and spew hatred) Some people just need to talk about a topic and use language.

It’s called the internet. Waypoint is for Halo related discussions. Use the rest of the internet for everything else.