A expert guide to playing Halo like a pro... Megathread 2+ Pages "A Must Read"

Hey, Ever wanted to know how to play Halo: Reach better? Well I thought I’d throw a guide together of things you can do to improve your play, Here is my Megathread to getting better fast at Halo: Reach.

Part One: Basic rules
So first off you need to know my list of basic rules:

  1. Practice, Keep playing try Team Slayer, The Arena or MLG, As you need to get used to working as a team
  2. Get some friends, Practice gets extremely boring get some mature buddys who won’t distract you and play together.
  3. Learn the maps, Weapon spawns, Health packs, Lifts, Shortcuts
  4. Always use your voice, It’s your most powerful weapon communicate well, I’d suggest watching some MLG and observing how they communicate.
  5. Select accurate weapons, Always keep a DMR on hand its still a good all rounder and its always good to have.
  6. Share, Don’t hog two power weapons share them out your team will become more effective
  7. Learn your weapons,
  8. Use your grenades,
  9. Don’t get offended by online comments for example ‘Rockets are a noob gun’ First off if it wins you the game it wins you the game you got to remember that or it will hold you back.

Part Two: Your gaming setup
One thing people underestimate is the power of a good setup. So here is my advice for setting up you Xbox, TV, and your entire gaming zone to make you more comfortable and ready to play to the best of your ability. A good way to start is to place your Xbox so it is away from your feet it is easy to kick it and take the disk out you never want that to happen, Also keep it in a dust free area preferably off the floor and in a well ventilated space.

Secondly your TV personally I think a LCD between 19" & 32" is a good size but any old TV will work, Make sure you are directly in front of your TV on a comfortable chair, futon or sofa but make sure your not to comfy that you will lay down and fall asleep. Another really really important thing to check for is Screen lag! This is really important do not skips this if you own a HD TV, First off screen lag is caused by HD because a screen cannot process the data it is being sent from the Xbox it not a problem for offline play but online it makes a whole lot of difference. Screen lag causes the images you see to be shown after they have already happened for example you could be playing a sniper shot could go off at 10:01 seconds into the game however you would only be shown it a second later, Therefor you could be a second behind the game. That doesn’t seem like a lot but in a DMR fight a second advantage is worth one shot and one shot could be the difference between you walking or facing the dirt. So how do you check well a good start is to google your TV and look at the specification, All TV’s have screen lag unless you buy the official MLG Acer TV. So if you have really bad screen lag then switch back to good old standard definition. But if the screen lag is not too bad then you could keep playing with it but still try SD out it might help out your play.

Background distractions should be avoided play in a quiet space somewhere where you family or friends won’t distract you, Also turn all your attention to the game sit forward in your chair with your arms resting on your lap, Do not sit to far from your TV the closer the better, Forget about it hurting your eyes the distance makes little difference just remember to take frequent breaks keep hydrated and wear comfortable cloths like a short arm T-shirt, jeans or Sweatpants hell even shorts. Keep your room well ventilated so you don’t get too hot and keep anything you may need near you at all times for example spare battery’s, play and charge kit, a drink… Hopefully this will make a difference,

You can also check out Dr Pepper & MLG Ultimate Gaming House the 2010 season has just finished but the 2011 season will start up soon or so I have been told, So if you have a real bad setup then you could go and win yourself a Ultimate gaming house! However you can just use it to see how the MLG’s setup their game zone…
http://partners.majorleaguegaming.com/drpepper/ugh

Part Three: Keeping a Balance
This part is short a sweet don’t just play the Xbox 24/7 play a sport or do something to keep you physically active for example I play the drums but sports work too, Now some people say MLG is a sport and ESPN show it sometimes but it will not beat getting out and doing something. Being fit keeps up your responses makes you more alert and awake.

Part Four: Video guides
Here’s a list of video guides some of these are on Halo 3 but still apply to Reach
Map Movement
Strafing Tips
TSquared Tips: Power Weapons
TSquared Tips: Communication
TSquared Tips: Firefight
Last Longer With Karma
Last Longer With Naded
Last Longer With Ghostayame
Halo Reach Pro Play With Snipedown

This last video is really special in this you can see the pure skill and effort that MLG’s put into their play, Keep an eye on the Communication… MLG Raleigh 2010 Halo 3 Finals

Part Five: Extra’s and gear
Gunnar shades - Special glasses designed to prevent eye strain and fit with MLG Astro’s.
MLG Astros - A expensive pair of Xbox compatible headphones with Mixamp and built in surround sound.
MLG Weapon Timer App - Tell’s you when the weapons spawn in MLG Games available from the app store and on android
Kiaeneto - A Gamers clothing brand by MLG Walshy

Part Five (.5): Drinks
Keeping hydrated is really important I suggest trying Dr Pepper or MTN Dew, Try not to drink caffeine rich drinks as they can cause you to shake and put off your shots on the upside they will increase your reactions you could always try pro plus if your lacking caffeine in your drinks.

Part Six: Networking
There is really nothing worse than having a NAT problem, Don’t panic help is on hand below I have two ways to open your NAT type.

Fix one: Short and easy fix

  • Go to your Xbox 360 dashboard
  • Go to the “My Xbox” panel
  • Scroll right until you reach system setting’s
  • Press “A” On Your Xbox Controller
  • Find Network Setting’s
  • Click On Network Configuration
  • Search Around For A Button Saying “Reset Network Setting’s”
  • Reset your network settings and log back in to your account

Fix Two: Long Geeky Fix, Can Damage Your System
Thanks to the 'Da Master Chef over on the Bungie.net forums here is a guide. However It can screw up your internet so try the quick fix above first.

Part Seven: How to practice
The best way in my opinion is just to play frequently watch the tutorials above and keep aiming to get better I say the best playlists to get better would be SWAT, The Arena and MLG. Mix up what you play on a keep aiming to get better take in mind my rules above and find a decent team to play with try over at Gamebattles if your in need to team mates.

Part Eight: Coming Soon

I will soon be adding another part as soon as I have the time, If you have any suggestions please send me a message, I was thinking about including extra resources training maps ect ect…

Well, as much as I disagree with almost everything but the 2 or 3 facts I saw, it is your promoting of corporate consumables that I have the most problems with.

If you want to play hard and for a long time, and live to tell about it, you need to exercise and eat properly before starting a gaming session.

Doing a minor pushup, pullup, situp and squat muscle workout in combination with a 5 to 10 minute jog, followed by a full meal will go much, much further in keeping players smart and quick for gaming. Much further than using highly acidic, preservative filled chemical slurrys called “food and beverage.”

Eating properly and exercising not only helps the body to function as a whole, it helps to remove the chemicals asscociated with anger and anxiety pregame. This allows the player to enter their matches, free of mind. Unclouded and unhindered. Ready to react rather than think, even though, they should always be thinking.

And let me tell you this, if you play Halo competitively to get your frustrations out, perhaps that is why you are having troubles adjusting to Reach in the first place. But that’s only an IF.

Actually 2 things to add. Playing MLG or TS doesn’t make you a better team player. Turning on you mic and talking to your team while playing with your team will make you a better team player.

I have also read certain MLG-Pros state that a mistake lot of players make is hopping into the competitive gametypes before they are ready. They suggest playing the other gametypes that aren’t so competitive minded so that players get used to the physics of the game in a less menacing environment.
They say get good, get chatty, then get competitive.

> Well, as much as I disagree with almost everything but the 2 or 3 facts I saw, it is your promoting of corporate consumables that I have the most problems with.
>
> If you want to play hard and for a long time, and live to tell about it, you need to exercise and eat properly before starting a gaming session.
>
> Doing a minor pushup, pullup, situp and squat muscle workout in combination with a 5 to 10 minute jog, followed by a full meal will go much, much further in keeping players smart and quick for gaming. Much further than using highly acidic, preservative filled chemical slurrys called “food and beverage.”
>
> Eating properly and exercising not only helps the body to function as a whole, it helps to remove the chemicals asscociated with anger and anxiety pregame. This allows the player to enter their matches, free of mind. Unclouded and unhindered. Ready to react rather than think, even though, they should always be thinking.
>
> And let me tell you this, if you play Halo competitively to get your frustrations out, perhaps that is why you are having troubles adjusting to Reach in the first place. But that’s only an IF.
>
>
> Actually one thing else to add. Playing MLG or TS doesn’t make you a better team player. Turning on you mic and talking to your team while playing with your team will make you a better team player.

No I do agree, I was not try to “[Promote Corporate Consumables]” I was really just showing people the gear they can get, One important thing to remember is that the gear does not make the player but having a good setup really helps.

Although your spelling and grammar are excellent, I find it hard take a 13 year old seriously.

> Although your spelling and grammar are excellent, I find it hard take a 13 year old seriously.

Jumped to a conclusion there, I’m not 13 for your information, I’m assuming you assumed that from the fact my gamertag ends in 97, Actually its is just my lucky number, It one me some money once roughly the same time I created my account therefor I decided to add my lucky number to the end. And due to the face I won money that suggest I can gamble and therefor am over the age of 18… Please don’t jump to a conclusion next time…

Besides if a thirteen year old wrote this post I fail to see how their point is invalid if they were a better player. So secondly don’t discriminate by age.