A discussion on Heroes

I think most people on here agree that the new meta of heroes is much more fun and has way more variety than we have seen in the past - I personally think this was a great upgrade for the game. However, it seems like some of the heroes aren’t as balanced as others. For example, every other spartan except for Commander Jerome is in need of a buff. Currently, everyone builds their hero very fast and usually even picks up their first upgrade (Not everyone, I know, but it’s definitely a vast majority).

Alice’s, Jerome’s, and Douglas’ first upgrade is to… steal a vehicle. Why? I don’t think it’s necessarily worth the energy early on when there are no vehicles to steal early game. And I’m certainly not going to upgrade it to steal a scout vehicle. The only purpose of the upgrade early is really to get the increased hero stats, but compared to other heroes’ upgrades this is very mediocre. I would rather have their weapon switched with Hijack in their tech-line, as I think that would be more useful early on, and Hijack would make more sense at Teir 2, when there are actually vehicles worth stealing.

The reason why I think these kind of hero changes are important is that now the game is very focused on early micro battles for map control, and if not every commander has the chance to compete for map control then they aren’t even worth playing at high levels. You don’t even have to discuss their mid/late games, because they are already so far behind.

Anyway, I wanted to see what others thought of hero changes and what they’ve seen in the meta that might balance the game better for other characters, and please don’t just complain about Jerome :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks!

Jerome and Arbiter can wreck a Army of basic infantry, Colony is useless now

Jerome and Arbiter can wreck a Army of basic infantry, Colony is useless now

that’s because cutter, isabel, anders, atriox, decimus, sgt johnson, kinsano, shipmaster, and colony are NOT hero leaders. they’re army and leader power based leaders. jerome, and arbiter are hero based. that was the whole point of the “icons of war” trailer.

Heroes are awesome. The starting three unsc heroes are bad. But considering that 2 of those 3 (Isabel and Anders) leaders are not very viable it makes sense. I agree they could benefit from the chaingun before the hijack. But something I would like to see would be the hellbringers health get a buff. Yeah this could cause some really strong rushes but i think it would be counterable by a well scouted JR or chopper counter. I can also see the downsides to this tho. What do u guys think?

Honestly, if they were going to ramp up the damage of every hero and turn the Chosen into a freaking nuke launching tank and Jerome into a walking buff bullet sponge, then they should’ve made sure every other hero could be just as viable. The nerf to the hunter captain seems especially unnecessary if making heroes viable was the intention.
Honor guard is still trash, Hunter captain is an incredibly slow and mediocre tank with no damage output, Johnson is still Johnson, the three basic spartans are kinda worthless without their weapons…

When a single unit can solo an enemy army worth three times as much, there is a problem. (I’m looking at you, Chosen)

> 2533274827016521;6:
> Honestly, if they were going to ramp up the damage of every hero and turn the Chosen into a freaking nuke launching tank and Jerome into a walking buff bullet sponge, then they should’ve made sure every other hero could be just as viable. The nerf to the hunter captain seems especially unnecessary if making heroes viable was the intention.
> Honor guard is still trash, Hunter captain is an incredibly slow and mediocre tank with no damage output, Johnson is still Johnson, the three basic spartans are kinda worthless without their weapons…
>
> When a single unit can solo an enemy army worth three times as much, there is a problem. (I’m looking at you, Chosen)

The three basic Spartans are tied for the third best heroes in the game right now. They are range, have strong damage output in the early game, and have a long lasting, large aoe stun that will redbar infantry units it hits. Jerome and Chosen are both far superior still, but basic spartans are by no means weak. They also scale well into late game by being able to hijack high priority vehicles such as Shrouds.

> 2535414525461659;2:
> Jerome and Arbiter can wreck a Army of basic infantry, Colony is useless now

Colony being useless? I beg to differ. His DPS is crazy (perfect counter to Jerome and his Mantis) and is still tanky.

> 2535444631079851;1:
> Alice’s, Jerome’s, and Douglas’ first upgrade is to… steal a vehicle. Why? I don’t think it’s necessarily worth the energy early on when there are no vehicles to steal early game. And I’m certainly not going to upgrade it to steal a scout vehicle. The only purpose of the upgrade early is really to get the increased hero stats, but compared to other heroes’ upgrades this is very mediocre. I would rather have their weapon switched with Hijack in their tech-line, as I think that would be more useful early on, and Hijack would make more sense at Teir 2, when there are actually vehicles worth stealing.

I think it’s fine as having this as their first upgrade, you don’t have to upgrade it, use that power on more units or upgrades.

> 2533274827016521;6:
> Honestly, if they were going to ramp up the damage of every hero and turn the Chosen into a freaking nuke launching tank and Jerome into a walking buff bullet sponge, then they should’ve made sure every other hero could be just as viable. The nerf to the hunter captain seems especially unnecessary if making heroes viable was the intention.
> Honor guard is still trash, Hunter captain is an incredibly slow and mediocre tank with no damage output, Johnson is still Johnson, the three basic spartans are kinda worthless without their weapons…
>
> When a single unit can solo an enemy army worth three times as much, there is a problem. (I’m looking at you, Chosen)

You’re getting solo’ d by a chosen and Mantis?:joy: As UNSC, you literally have all you need to stop them by going Barracks 5th and Marauders with Vehicle 1 are plenty enough to stop them.

> 2535471149170617;9:
> > 2533274827016521;6:
> > Honestly, if they were going to ramp up the damage of every hero and turn the Chosen into a freaking nuke launching tank and Jerome into a walking buff bullet sponge, then they should’ve made sure every other hero could be just as viable. The nerf to the hunter captain seems especially unnecessary if making heroes viable was the intention.
> > Honor guard is still trash, Hunter captain is an incredibly slow and mediocre tank with no damage output, Johnson is still Johnson, the three basic spartans are kinda worthless without their weapons…
> >
> > When a single unit can solo an enemy army worth three times as much, there is a problem. (I’m looking at you, Chosen)
>
> You’re getting solo’ d by a chosen and Mantis?:joy: As UNSC, you literally have all you need to stop them by going Barracks 5th and Marauders with Vehicle 1 are plenty enough to stop them.

Marauders with UNSC?

> 2535471149170617;9:
> > 2533274827016521;6:
> > Honestly, if they were going to ramp up the damage of every hero and turn the Chosen into a freaking nuke launching tank and Jerome into a walking buff bullet sponge, then they should’ve made sure every other hero could be just as viable. The nerf to the hunter captain seems especially unnecessary if making heroes viable was the intention.
> > Honor guard is still trash, Hunter captain is an incredibly slow and mediocre tank with no damage output, Johnson is still Johnson, the three basic spartans are kinda worthless without their weapons…
> >
> > When a single unit can solo an enemy army worth three times as much, there is a problem. (I’m looking at you, Chosen)
>
> You’re getting solo’ d by a chosen and Mantis?:joy: As UNSC, you literally have all you need to stop them by going Barracks 5th and Marauders with Vehicle 1 are plenty enough to stop them.

First, I main Colony. Haven’t tried marauders yet (Didn’t know they were viable now) Second, as Colony, trying to apply early pressure now is a lot harder given how units like the chosen can defend against goliath-skitterers/chopper-skitterer all by themselves. Chosen laughs at the choppers’ poor dps, and goliaths struggle against him by merit of not being anti infantry.
If I’m not the one applying early pressure, Chosen can still down a base’s shields pretty easily, as can Jerome with enduring salvo.
Hunter captain, even when upgraded and coupled with skitterers, doesn’t deal nearly as much damage as either Jemantis or Chosen, and he moves at the speed of a crippled snail. Put all of that alongside the fact that they nerfed his lifesteal, health, and regen with combat repair, and you have a pretty useless, yet expensive hero.

> 2533274958671328;10:
> > 2535471149170617;9:
> > > 2533274827016521;6:
> > > Honestly, if they were going to ramp up the damage of every hero and turn the Chosen into a freaking nuke launching tank and Jerome into a walking buff bullet sponge, then they should’ve made sure every other hero could be just as viable. The nerf to the hunter captain seems especially unnecessary if making heroes viable was the intention.
> > > Honor guard is still trash, Hunter captain is an incredibly slow and mediocre tank with no damage output, Johnson is still Johnson, the three basic spartans are kinda worthless without their weapons…
> > >
> > > When a single unit can solo an enemy army worth three times as much, there is a problem. (I’m looking at you, Chosen)
> >
> > You’re getting solo’ d by a chosen and Mantis?:joy: As UNSC, you literally have all you need to stop them by going Barracks 5th and Marauders with Vehicle 1 are plenty enough to stop them.
>
> Marauders with UNSC?

Nah, fam lol.

> 2533274827016521;11:
> > 2535471149170617;9:
> > > Honestly, if they were going to ramp up the damage of every hero and turn the Chosen into a freaking nuke launching tank and Jerome into a walking buff bullet sponge, then they should’ve made sure every other hero could be just as viable. The nerf to the hunter captain seems especially unnecessary if making heroes viable was the intention.
> > > Honor guard is still trash, Hunter captain is an incredibly slow and mediocre tank with no damage output, Johnson is still Johnson, the three basic spartans are kinda worthless without their weapons…
> > >
> > > When a single unit can solo an enemy army worth three times as much, there is a problem. (I’m looking at you, Chosen)
> >
> > You’re getting solo’ d by a chosen and Mantis?:joy: As UNSC, you literally have all you need to stop them by going Barracks 5th and Marauders with Vehicle 1 are plenty enough to stop them.
>
> First, I main Colony. Haven’t tried marauders yet (Didn’t know they were viable now) Second, as Colony, trying to apply early pressure now is a lot harder given how units like the chosen can defend against goliath-skitterers/chopper-skitterer all by themselves. Chosen laughs at the choppers’ poor dps, and goliaths struggle against him by merit of not being anti infantry.
> If I’m not the one applying early pressure, Chosen can still down a base’s shields pretty easily, as can Jerome with enduring salvo.
> Hunter captain, even when upgraded and coupled with skitterers, doesn’t deal nearly as much damage as either Jemantis or Chosen, and he moves at the speed of a crippled snail. Put all of that alongside the fact that they nerfed his lifesteal, health, and regen with combat repair, and you have a pretty useless, yet expensive hero.

Marauders have always been viable. They’re okay against air and stomp Infantry and other core vehicles. They also have high HP and are Locust Killers. People just don’t build them because “[insert top player] told me they suck🤓”

> 2535471149170617;13:
> > 2533274827016521;11:
> > > 2535471149170617;9:
> > > > 2533274827016521;6:
> > > > Honestly, if they were going to ramp up the damage of every hero and turn the Chosen into a freaking nuke launching tank and Jerome into a walking buff bullet sponge, then they should’ve made sure every other hero could be just as viable. The nerf to the hunter captain seems especially unnecessary if making heroes viable was the intention.
> > > > Honor guard is still trash, Hunter captain is an incredibly slow and mediocre tank with no damage output, Johnson is still Johnson, the three basic spartans are kinda worthless without their weapons…
> > > >
> > > > When a single unit can solo an enemy army worth three times as much, there is a problem. (I’m looking at you, Chosen)
>
> Marauders have always been viable. They’re okay against air and stomp Infantry and other core vehicles. They also have high HP and are Locust Killers. People just don’t build them because “[insert top player] told me they suck🤓”

I’ll have to try them again sometime, then. I speak mainly from personal experience. I’ve never seen much success with marauders, and I rarely see them being used in team play, which is pretty much the only thing I play.

> 2533274827016521;14:
> > 2535471149170617;13:
> > > 2533274827016521;11:
> > > > 2535471149170617;9:
> > > > > 2533274827016521;6:
> > > > > Honestly, if they were going to ramp up the damage of every hero and turn the Chosen into a freaking nuke launching tank and Jerome into a walking buff bullet sponge, then they should’ve made sure every other hero could be just as viable. The nerf to the hunter captain seems especially unnecessary if making heroes viable was the intention.
> > > > > Honor guard is still trash, Hunter captain is an incredibly slow and mediocre tank with no damage output, Johnson is still Johnson, the three basic spartans are kinda worthless without their weapons…
> > > > >
> > > > > When a single unit can solo an enemy army worth three times as much, there is a problem. (I’m looking at you, Chosen)
> >
> > Marauders have always been viable. They’re okay against air and stomp Infantry and other core vehicles. They also have high HP and are Locust Killers. People just don’t build them because “[insert top player] told me they suck🤓”
>
> I’ll have to try them again sometime, then. I speak mainly from personal experience. I’ve never seen much success with marauders, and I rarely see them being used in team play, which is pretty much the only thing I play.

The buff did them good for sure.

> 2535471149170617;13:
> > 2533274827016521;11:
> > > 2535471149170617;9:
> > > > 2533274827016521;6:
> > > > Honestly, if they were going to ramp up the damage of every hero and turn the Chosen into a freaking nuke launching tank and Jerome into a walking buff bullet sponge, then they should’ve made sure every other hero could be just as viable. The nerf to the hunter captain seems especially unnecessary if making heroes viable was the intention.
> > > > Honor guard is still trash, Hunter captain is an incredibly slow and mediocre tank with no damage output, Johnson is still Johnson, the three basic spartans are kinda worthless without their weapons…
> > > >
> > > > When a single unit can solo an enemy army worth three times as much, there is a problem. (I’m looking at you, Chosen)
> > >
> > > You’re getting solo’ d by a chosen and Mantis?:joy: As UNSC, you literally have all you need to stop them by going Barracks 5th and Marauders with Vehicle 1 are plenty enough to stop them.
> >
> > First, I main Colony. Haven’t tried marauders yet (Didn’t know they were viable now) Second, as Colony, trying to apply early pressure now is a lot harder given how units like the chosen can defend against goliath-skitterers/chopper-skitterer all by themselves. Chosen laughs at the choppers’ poor dps, and goliaths struggle against him by merit of not being anti infantry.
> > If I’m not the one applying early pressure, Chosen can still down a base’s shields pretty easily, as can Jerome with enduring salvo.
> > Hunter captain, even when upgraded and coupled with skitterers, doesn’t deal nearly as much damage as either Jemantis or Chosen, and he moves at the speed of a crippled snail. Put all of that alongside the fact that they nerfed his lifesteal, health, and regen with combat repair, and you have a pretty useless, yet expensive hero.
>
> Marauders have always been viable. They’re okay against air and stomp Infantry and other core vehicles. They also have high HP and are Locust Killers. People just don’t build them because “[insert top player] told me they suck🤓”

ppl dnt buy them because they werent cost effective n took awhile to build… n they dnt do much dmg but they are tanky… rather have an anti- unit instead of it

> 2533274868399345;7:
> > 2533274827016521;6:
> >
>
> The three basic Spartans are tied for the third best heroes in the game right now. They are range, have strong damage output in the early game, and have a long lasting, large aoe stun that will redbar infantry units it hits. Jerome and Chosen are both far superior still, but basic spartans are by no means weak. They also scale well into late game by being able to hijack high priority vehicles such as Shrouds.

Third best heroes in the game? Decimus’ Warlord AKA the 3-star Brute Chieftain reincarnated would beg to differ.

> 2535414525461659;3:
> Jerome and Arbiter can wreck a Army of basic infantry, Colony is useless now.

that doesn’t make sense

> 2533274814970819;17:
> > 2533274868399345;7:
> >
> > Third best heroes in the game? Decimus’ Warlord AKA the 3-star Brute Chieftain reincarnated would beg to differ.

Warlord* is a slow melee and can be kited. His attack animation isn’t even fast enough to permastun a single unit without glitching to animation cancel and reset his attack frame. On top of that his stun is a smaller aoe than the Spartan Slam and doesn’t have a large jump range, instead only hitting the area around him meaning you’ll need Teleport or Vortex to get in range for his abilities meaning the hero isn’t good as you require leader powers to be useful.