A daily Waypoint error message I get...

Hi folks!

I know I’m not alone here, but is there any reason that at least once per day I’m greeted with the following page when trying to visit any page on Waypoint (including via the iOS app)?

> Server Error in ‘/’ Application.
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Runtime Error
> Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.
>
> Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a “web.config” configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its “mode” attribute set to “Off”.
>
>
> <!-- Web.Config Configuration File →
>
> <configuration>
> <system.web>
> <customErrors mode=“Off”/>
> </system.web>
> </configuration>
>
>
> Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the “defaultRedirect” attribute of the application’s <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.
>
>
> <!-- Web.Config Configuration File →
>
> <configuration>
> <system.web>
> <customErrors mode=“RemoteOnly” defaultRedirect=“mycustompage.htm”/>
> </system.web>
> </configuration>

The only way I can fix this is by clearing my cookies and history, signing out of my Microsoft Account on all sites, and restarting my browser. I’m not even sure if that’s what fixes it or if it’s just a website error - but either way, it gets a little frustrating.

Any tips on how I can avoid this, if it’s something on my end causing the problem? For what it’s worth, all other sites using my Microsoft Account continue to work fine when this happens on Waypoint.

Cheers!

It’s an error that these forums have gotten over the past few months, sometimes it doesn’t happen for weeks, and sometimes you can’t get online for a week.

I recommend you press the back ← button on your browser and it might start working again from there. That’s the least amount of hassle fix, that I use.

But don’t worry, this site is getting a huge update soon, along with the forums and they’re going to be made much faster. :stuck_out_tongue:

> But don’t worry, this site is getting a huge update soon, along with the forums and they’re going to be made much faster. :stuck_out_tongue:

Good to know. Thanks!

> > But don’t worry, this site is getting a huge update soon, along with the forums and they’re going to be made much faster. :stuck_out_tongue:
>
> Good to know. Thanks!

According to my friend who is a computer engineer, the problems probably lie in that 343 took over and are now administering three different websites that now collect info and send it to this site from six (or 5 current) different games. Halowars.com, bungie.net, and Waypoint itself. Games: Halo 2 (discontinued in MM but the Bungie data was ported apparently), Halo 3, ODST, Reach, Halo Wars and Halo 4 upcoming. Since these three sites may have been encoded differently they may not talk to each other very well. Plus the mass of data that was acquired from Bungie has to be sorted and applied. No matter what 343 almost couldn’t prepare for being able to show games from previous titles before Reach. We’re talking millions of games. So they probably focused on ensuring the interface functioned to show Reach stats and left everything else for later. Hopefully the update gives us access to ALL of 343’s accumulated Halo data, including game data from previous Halo titles.

Once he explained this, I felt slightly less pissed at 343 for the buggy nature of the site. So I’m now in a wait-and-see attitude for the site redesign and (hopefully) backend reworking of Halo data.