A concern about Spartan Ops.

343 it might be to late, but something concerns me about Spartan Ops and it stems from Reach’s visual scoring system and the dangers of it ruining your endeavor for a weekly campaign/firefight series. The Visual Scoring System in it’s own rights is a common video game visual reward for successfully downing a foe or figuring out a puzzle in many varied fashions. It works well in the arena or squad based Multiplayer forums because It signals success for one side of the team or individual competing against other human controlled players. But that’s really not going to work with a team based effort against the Ai in a fundamental way.

Now with that said when you base a game on a team effort and you include the VSS you have undermined that team effort and changed it into a competitive and individualistic experience rather than a cooperative one. I’ve seen this thousands of time in Reach. Basically it boils down to who can can outscore the other player, because at it’s nature the MM experience of Halo draws in a large amount of narcissistic and competitive type of players. This has completely turned the Campaign Co-Op into a troll filled experience because there is no cooperation, it is only a race to the next enemy or how can I irritate the other players.

Now you are about to take these two elements and combine them into Spartan Ops. If the VSS is active then it’ll run the course of what we see in Reach’s two co-op type lists. It’s really not the game’s issue, but rather the certain elements of community as a whole that is about to move into it.

So I strongly suggest you dump those numbers that appear over a Ai kill if you really want Spartan Ops to be a less douchey experience between randoms. Friends will be fine they’ll work together, they’ll still run each over and normal shenanigans will take place, but that will be between friends. Randoms that’s a whole different story. It won’t fix the whole problem if you take out the VSS in Spartan Ops. People are people especially when they feel freely able to express their cruelty with no true consequences regardless of the VSS but it might lessen the competitive drive to screw over the other guy.

Many will say no because they need that visual dominance against other player, it’s the draw of Halo for them. I’m just throwing this out there before Spartan Ops launches. It’s one of those defining elements of Halo 4 being marketed to the larger audience and with what has happened in Reach’s Co-Op Campaign, this will happen in Spartan Ops. So I don’t know what you’re hoping Spartan Ops will be, but with the VSS in play and the nature of Halo players… it’ll boil down to Reach’s Co-Op Campaign experience.

I don’t recall ever seeing scoring being recorded in any of the SpOps footage from RTX.

> I don’t recall ever seeing scoring being recorded in any of the SpOps footage from RTX.

I hope it’s not there. This post is just a warning against it in a CoOperative setting in case they feel the need to put in there.

> > I don’t recall ever seeing scoring being recorded in any of the SpOps footage from RTX.
>
> I hope it’s not there. This post is just a warning against it in a CoOperative setting in case they feel the need to put in there.

Ah right, my bad.

I agree, playing co-op with my mates just turns into a “who can -Yoink!- the biggest kills”-fest. e.g. they’ll wait until the phantom at the end of sword base is nearly destroyed and then put 1 rocket in to secure the kill.
It does ruin the experience slightly.

HERES PROOF

In that video, you can see that theres no visual scoring :slight_smile:

What if we completely scrap individual scores, and just have a collective score pool?

A collective score pool is fair in it’s nature and in better world it would be desirable, but in Halo it just invites AFKs to leech off of your work and experience for their own benefit.

> A collective score pool is fair in it’s nature and in better world it would be desirable, but in Halo it just invites AFKs to leech off of your work and experience for their own benefit.

AFKers would AFK anyways. Regardless of how the scoring system works. They would do it for the lure of XP

> > I don’t recall ever seeing scoring being recorded in any of the SpOps footage from RTX.
>
> I hope it’s not there. This post is just a warning against it in a CoOperative setting in case they feel the need to put in there.

If your playing private spartan ops with your friends I think you should be able to turn it on/off.

> HERES PROOF
>
> In that video, you can see that theres no visual scoring :slight_smile:

That’s good news. Here’s another video and I didn’t see any either in the first firefight portion of it. Really hope they keep it that way.

Footage from the SDCC Spartan Ops SDCC

Yeah it appears there is no visible scoring system as the other guys have said.

> > A collective score pool is fair in it’s nature and in better world it would be desirable, but in Halo it just invites AFKs to leech off of your work and experience for their own benefit.
>
> AFKers would AFK anyways. Regardless of how the scoring system works. They would do it for the lure of XP

Very true, but at least we still have Little Brothers, Dogs, and Stat lawyers ready to dine on their tears when the Ban Hammer finds them.

Maybe all the players should be linked by a distance line from each other. So if they’re standing still for a long duration and we are moving further down the course they start drawing a negative score that signals the boot or hammer.

You can see this line sometimes when it’s glitching in L4D where it’s it attached to the survivors foot as they leave the safe house.

> > > I don’t recall ever seeing scoring being recorded in any of the SpOps footage from RTX.
> >
> > I hope it’s not there. This post is just a warning against it in a CoOperative setting in case they feel the need to put in there.
>
> If your playing private spartan ops with your friends I think you should be able to turn it on/off.

Completely agree on that toggle being available for friends in customs.