A comprehensive list of Halo 4's shortcomings

I saw this list over at /r/Halo, thought some people might like to see a full list of everything that is missing/downgraded from Halo 4.

> I’m attempting to make a list of all things missing or downgraded in Halo 4 compared to previous Halo games. Unfortunately it’s a long list, and to be honest I’m scratching my head at why they removed so many things. I don’t think this is everything, so if you see something not on here or I got something wrong, I can remove/add it.
>
> General
>
> You can’t view the campaign terminals ingame; you must go to waypoint.
>
> Can’t hold the back button and move around at the same time.
>
> Scrolling through players in the scoreboard is more difficult. Instead of holding back and using the right analog stick to move through them, you must use the d-pad.
>
> The indicators for your teammates’ statuses aren’t as clear as they used to be. Teammates no longer show an X over their corpse. You can no longer tell if a teammate is shooting(yellow in previous games). When a teammate is being shot, their arrow flashes red faintly(compared to a strong orange in previous games).
>
> Can’t view which secondary weapon you’re holding.
>
> No longer shows an icon ingame to indicate who is talking.
>
> Custom Games
>
> Removed the ability to make any variant of CTF other than Multi-flag CTF. This means 1-Flag and Neutral Flag don’t exist anymore. I don’t think you can trick forge into getting them to work either, since 1-Flag needs the round to reset after a flag capture, and CTF will not spawn a flag marked as ‘neutral’ unless there is someone on a ‘neutral’ team.
>
> Can’t make it so you can drop the flag.
>
> Can’t disable sprint.
>
> Can’t turn off/on instant-respawn. It’s off in CTF and Dominion, but is on in most(all?) other gametypes.
>
> Respawn time is a mostly irrelevant setting with instant respawn time not being toggle-able.
>
> Can’t modify CTF to have to hold a button to pick up the flag.
>
> Can’t make assault how it used to be. If you use Grifball to make Assault, then you are able to throw the bomb around. You can play assault by swapping the flag capture points around, but that requires making a map specifically for “assault”.
>
> Removed Race, Territories, Stockpile, Headhunter, and Juggernaut. Some of these were removed because of redundance, but other than for territories, you can’t make anything like them anymore. You can’t make stockpile at all. You can’t make headhunter at all. You can’t make Juggernaut how it used to be. You can rig together a race gametype using KotH.
>
> Can’t modify Flood in any meaningful way. The flood are required to have their three base loadouts with thruster pack, promethean vision, and invis. They cannot use any weapons other than the flood sword.
>
> Except for slayer, you can’t modify how many points you get for doing certain things. For example, you can’t set it so that kills count for points in a CTF game.
>
> Weapons you place down on the map physically(without using the ordnance system) won’t show up in some gametypes(slayer pro, infection), but they’ll show up in others(infinity slayer, CTF). There is also no option to turn the ‘weapons on map’ setting on/off, unless you’re messing with initial ordnance.
>
> Can no longer create your own power-ups.
>
> When setting extra points for a headshot kill in a slayer gametype, sniper headshots will not count for the extra points.
>
> Forge
>
> Can’t use precision moving anymore(pushing the left thumbstick down in Reach)
>
> Can’t zoom in anymore.
>
> When placing objects inside/near walls on Ravine(possibly on other maps), it will push the objects away, even when using coordinate editing.
>
> When using magnets to align objects, sometimes the objects will not align properly and there will be a small but noticeable bump between them.
>
> You can set objects to belong to teams 5 through 8, but those teams do not exist.
>
> You can set objectives to belong to a neutral team, but no gametypes support it.
>
> You can set ‘symmetry=true/false’ on objects, but there are no asymmetric gametypes.
>
> Magnets can’t snap to angles.
>
> The ‘reloading shift glitch’ was not fixed.
>
> Theater
>
> You cannot view campaign or spartan ops replays.
>
> Unable to view replays with friends.
>
> In film clips, the announcer can no longer be heard(somtimes? Conflicting reports).
>
> Split-screen
>
> Bad framerate lag on half of the maps, specifically Complex, Meltdown, Vortex, Exile, and Relay(not in matchmaking). Any map made entirely of forge pieces or uses a decent bit of forge pieces lags considerably in split-screen. The pre-made maps for Erosion and Ravine do not seem to lag.
>
> The HUD is cluttered. In CTF, it still shows how far away you are from the flag. The icons that mark objectives are the same size as they are in full-screen. Icons for initial ordnance are the same size as they are in full-screen. Weapon reticles are the same size as they are in full-screen(even in 4-player split-screen). The icons for objectives never leave your screen; this means in Dominion, you always have all three points’ icons on your screen. Medal names and how many points they’re worth still show up.
>
> Plasma grenades do not glow until you are very close to them.
>
> In Spartan Ops, it won’t let you view the week’s episode claiming that you can’t go in theater mode in split-screen.
>
> Campaign(No spoilers)
>
> Removed point scoring.
>
> Matchmaking
>
> Can’t search for matches based on best connection(international players being matched with the US playerbase).

Interesting list right there, i hope this doesn’t get locked and 343i reads all of it and maybe change some things for Halo 5.

This is a pretty good comprehensive list. I don’t agree with everything on it, I still think some of the gameplay changes are good, but most of it is agreeable. All we can do is hope that 343 adds new features, fixes bugs, and improves what we already have.

Good to know but trust me there’s more.

The things on this list are primarily things that are missing when compared to previous Halo titles. This list isn’t about personal preference or what they added, just what they took away. So while some may have differing opinions on Custom Loadouts, that isn’t something that would make this list.

Good list. I agree with everything on there. Also, I’m pretty sure only neutral assault is possible from griffball. You can’t make one bomb or standard assault at all, because only one ball can exist at a time, and both teams can pick it up.

Wow that’s a lot of stuff. I was trying to make a gametype for Cops N Robbers but I could not figure out how to change the floods appearance and weapons. Nor can we make gametypes like Cat N Mouse, Mongoose Man, nor Duck Hunt. Very disappointed with custom games again. (Reach, but 343 didn’t break Reach obviously. So I don’t expect to play this game long after all).

Quite a few of these issues/concerns could be fixed with a Title Update. Here’s hoping 343i choose to do something about them!

99% of this list isn’t about actual shortcomings, it’s about how it’s different from Halo 3/Reach.

Change title, or go play Reach.

> 99% of this list isn’t about actual shortcomings, it’s about how it’s different from Halo 3/Reach.
>
> Change title, or go play Reach.

Read again. These are missing features, not just different approaches. Taking out Campaign scoring makes no sense, as does taking out race, the most popular forging variant out there. I’ve played countless race tracks, good to know I can’t do that anymore.

Glad I didn’t waste that 100 bucks.

Here’s what I chose instead of Halo 4 at Launch.
Batman Arkham Asylum
Aliens vs Predator

Both are games centered around Campaigns so I’m enjoying these with a somehow gut feeling that Halo 4 might be bad based upon the judgement of cancelling my pre-order because of their terrible marketing.

> 99% of this list isn’t about actual shortcomings, it’s about how it’s different from Halo 3/Reach.
>
> Change title, or go play Reach.

Considering the fact that all of these were things that were in previous Halo titles, but are now gone, does make them shortcomings. It’d be like making a new Battlefield game, only to remove Conquest…oh wait, they did that in Bad Company, and the Battlefield fans nearly revolted. Removing gametypes and custom game options does nothing but alienate long time fans, and if the Mass Effect 3 ending fiasco proved anything, it’s that you shouldn’t piss of your core audience.

> Glad I didn’t waste that 100 bucks.
>
> Here’s what I chose instead of Halo 4 at Launch.
> Batman Arkham Asylum
> Aliens vs Predator
>
> Both are games centered around Campaigns so I’m enjoying these with a somehow gut feeling that Halo 4 might be bad based upon the judgement of cancelling my pre-order because of their terrible marketing.

Is that the original AvP or the remake? Because, brutha, the new one was awful. Unless you got it at bargain bin price, in which case, nice choice!

This is a great list. I love Halo 4. But the Halo series has typically added features and kept MOST of the good things from previous titles. In Halo 4 we have seen a lot of functionality that was available in other games just cut. I’m hoping for an extensive TU or Halo 5 to include the features that Halo 4 is seriously lacking. In one of the Making of Halo 4 videos one guy said video games should be Evolutionary, not REvolutionary. This game, though amazing, totally left out many of the things that veteran players love.

> This is a great list. I love Halo 4. But the Halo series has typically added features and kept MOST of the good things from previous titles. In Halo 4 we have seen a lot of functionality that was available in other games just cut. I’m hoping for an extensive TU or Halo 5 to include the features that Halo 4 is seriously lacking. In one of the Making of Halo 4 videos one guy said video games should be Evolutionary, not REvolutionary. This game, though amazing, totally left out many of the things that veteran players love.

Exactly. You should always add to games, not cut things out. I also am hoping for a big TU soon that adds to the custom game options. It’d be nice if bs angel could maybe pop in and tell everyone not to panic and that they are hard at work making an update that fixes the custom game options, but something tells me that isn’t going to happen.

> > 99% of this list isn’t about actual shortcomings, it’s about how it’s different from Halo 3/Reach.
> >
> > Change title, or go play Reach.
>
> Considering the fact that all of these were things that were in previous Halo titles, but are now gone, does make them shortcomings. It’d be like making a new Battlefield game, only to remove Conquest…oh wait, they did that in Bad Company, and the Battlefield fans nearly revolted. Removing gametypes and custom game options does nothing but alienate long time fans, and if the Mass Effect 3 ending fiasco proved anything, it’s that you shouldn’t piss of your core audience.
>
>
>
> > Glad I didn’t waste that 100 bucks.
> >
> > Here’s what I chose instead of Halo 4 at Launch.
> > Batman Arkham Asylum
> > Aliens vs Predator
> >
> > Both are games centered around Campaigns so I’m enjoying these with a somehow gut feeling that Halo 4 might be bad based upon the judgement of cancelling my pre-order because of their terrible marketing.
>
> Is that the original AvP or the remake? Because, brutha, the new one was awful. Unless you got it at bargain bin price, in which case, nice choice!

It was the most recent AvP game with the three way Campaign yeah I got it bargain price 19 bucks off Amazon.

List seems to be missing lack of Party vs Party and Randoms vs Randoms prioritized when searching for a game in matchmaking. Party vs Randoms always turns into quitfest.

UNABLE TO PILOT FORKLIFTS. this is a massive disappointment.