A case for Spartan Charge

We all know it is considered a cheap move to pull, but what would be the alternative? Without Spartan Charge I believe Spartan Chargers would just sprint towards players and beat them down (like in every other Halo). Wouldn’t that be considered the same thing? My point is: if Spartan Charge wasn’t a thing I think people would still complain about Spartans charging them.

Which brings up my next point if melee damage affects Spartan charge’s strength should melee damage be lessened or should it stay where it is?

A case for Spartan charge… I can’t shoot worth a yoink so I have to run into people like a total noob… :slight_smile:

I don’t have an issue with Spartan charge as a mechanic, but sometimes it feels ridiculously overpowered, like the range on it is crazy, and its a little bit too “magnetic”.

It’s hard to say though, it might just be the effect of latency compensation, etc that makes it look as long range as it does from the victim’s perspective.

> 2533274816788253;2:
> A case for Spartan charge… I can’t shoot worth a yoink so I have to run into people like a total noob… :slight_smile:

That’s not the point. If Spartan Charge was removed the same result would technically happen, so why remove it? You’re technically not addressing the problem. The only way I could see Spartan Charging be “fixed” is by rebalancing the melee damage.

I have no problem with it being a mechanic of the game. It just has too much assisted pull.

> 2533274901601266;3:
> I don’t have an issue with Spartan charge as a mechanic, but sometimes it feels ridiculously overpowered, like the range on it is crazy, and its a little bit too “magnetic”.
>
> It’s hard to say though, it might just be the effect of latency compensation, etc that makes it look as long range as it does from the victim’s perspective.

I know what you mean. The melee tracking in this game is like a laser guided missile. There is a video floating around on YouTube somewhere that shows a player barely looking at an enemy at close range and the melee still connects through it’s lunge.

> 2533274847916490;4:
> > 2533274816788253;2:
> > A case for Spartan charge… I can’t shoot worth a yoink so I have to run into people like a total noob… :slight_smile:
>
>
> That’s not the point. If Spartan Charge was removed the same result would technically happen, so why remove it? You’re technically not addressing the problem. The only way I could see Spartan Charging be “fixed” is by rebalancing the melee damage.

No, this is not true at all. Remember the good old days of Halo 3, where Sprint wasn’t a thing? If you were in an AR battle against someone, you could both charge forward and melee for a dual-kill, or one person could back away at the last second, allowing the enemy to melee the air and stop shooting, thus dying from the AR bullets of player 1. This was a skill to combat noobs who AR rush.

In Halo 5, I can see someone who is outside of my radar range, and they can turn and sprint towards me. They can press the melee button from a much further range, thus charging me without enough time to shoot them. Couple this with the inconsistent melee damage in this game (trust me, a combination of inconsistent damage and the fact that B button melees and responds faster than Right Bumper on the Xbox One), and the fact that I get knocked back from the spartan charge and can’t shoot means the enemy who blindly rushed and mashed B will kill me.

And I don’t always have a thruster to use. It’s possible I used it within the last 6 seconds already, so that’s not an excuse.

> 2533274847916490;4:
> > 2533274816788253;2:
> > A case for Spartan charge… I can’t shoot worth a yoink so I have to run into people like a total noob… :slight_smile:
>
>
> That’s not the point. If Spartan Charge was removed the same result would technically happen, so why remove it? You’re technically not addressing the problem. The only way I could see Spartan Charging be “fixed” is by rebalancing the melee damage.

Actually no it wouldn’t happen as often as you would actually have to time your hit for it to be effective Spartan charge inflicts damage with little effort.

> 2533274847916490;6:
> > 2533274901601266;3:
> > I don’t have an issue with Spartan charge as a mechanic, but sometimes it feels ridiculously overpowered, like the range on it is crazy, and its a little bit too “magnetic”.
> >
> > It’s hard to say though, it might just be the effect of latency compensation, etc that makes it look as long range as it does from the victim’s perspective.
>
>
> I know what you mean. The melee tracking in this game is like a laser guided missile. There is a video floating around on YouTube somewhere that shows a player barely looking at an enemy at close range and the melee still connects through it’s lunge.

I don’t mind so much with the regular melee. Playing a game on joypad, you’re inevitably going to lose track of where exactly the other player is at close range.

I don’t tend to find I get in a lot of close-quarters situations where I die to melee, but felt like it was unfair.

With Spartan charge on the other hand, there have been a ton of situations where I’ve been the cautious player, trying to predict what’s around the corner, and still get nailed by a Spartan charge I feel couldn’t reasonably have avoided.

It feels like in close quarters, the guy who’s going to charge has a big advantage most of the time, whereas with regular melee you have to carefully consider if you’re going to cross that distance and go for the melee

Spartan Charge is a good idea, I actually like the idea of building up momentum in a sprint for a powered up melee (hell, in Halo 2 if you melee while running or jumping it does more damage than just standing still) but Spartan charge is just somewhat overpowered (believe me, I completed the rank 5 comm. before anything else.) I wonder how 10% less range, speed, and damage with +10% knockback would function. It would also be less of an issue with a 21m radar in Arena.

> 2533274901601266;3:
> I don’t have an issue with Spartan charge as a mechanic, but sometimes it feels ridiculously overpowered, like the range on it is crazy, and its a little bit too “magnetic”.
>
> It’s hard to say though, it might just be the effect of latency compensation, etc that makes it look as long range as it does from the victim’s perspective.

I’ve missed hits with it plenty of times, it might just be how you feel

spartan charge just needs to do as much damage as a normal melee

> 2533274847916490;1:
> We all know it is considered a cheap move to pull, but what would be the alternative? Without Spartan Charge I believe Spartan Chargers would just sprint towards players and beat them down (like in every other Halo). Wouldn’t that be considered the same thing? My point is: if Spartan Charge wasn’t a thing I think people would still complain about Spartans charging them.
>
> Which brings up my next point if melee damage affects Spartan charge’s strength should melee damage be lessened or should it stay where it is?

The problem is the huge hitbox spartan charge has. Sprint + normal melee isn’t the same thing.

I think it needs a little bit of tweaking.

Even if I see them coming and manage to start moving backwards / thrust… they still have the advantage in the ensuing dog fight. I think that I should have the advantage then as I’ve attempted to get out of the way (as best I can).

And yes, I know that the best move is sideways… but that is only practical in wide open spaces.

Also… there is no warning from behind. Even ground pound has a warning sound that gives me a chance to move out of the way. Nothing can stop the freight train of death blind siding you from behind.

So…

1. it needs to inflict slightly less damage.
  2. the player needs to be slightly more vulnerable post charge.
  3. some sort of warning system for someone sprinting up behind you.