A Call of Duty fan's opinion on Halo 4.

I see many people complain about Halo 4 but, to be honest, I think everyone is missing the biggest problem with Halo 4: the lack of any originality or identity. But wait, I know what you are all thinking, both Halo 4 hater and lover.

‘What do you mean the game is not original? The game is completely different to past Halos! Sprint, armour abilities, loadouts, ordinance drops. How can you say Halo 4 is not original!’

Well all I see are how Halo 4 is different but I don’t say how any of it is original. All the new stuff is taken from Call Of Duty and you would be a liar to say otherwise. Now, in a way, that’s fine with me because, shock and horror, I like Call of Duty. In fact, I’m a Call of Duty fan. But here’s my problem: I want to play Halo, which I also love, and not a wannabe Call of Duty. Because I’m a Call of Duty fan, I think I can see how much this game blatantly rips off Call of Duty more than most because it extends beyond mere loadouts and sprinting.

If you take out the Call of Duty imitation what does Halo 4 do new? The Prometheans and Pelican flying? I would include the Mantis too, despite the blatant Metal Gear influence. These parts are great! Even Dominion, which is a Battlefield Clone game mode, feels like a Halo take on the formula and good fun. I think most people would agree that the new enemies, vehicles, game modes and art designs are the hillight of Halo 4. But beyond these few additions I cannot name anything that is original or feels like a continuation of Halo. I have played Modern Warefare 1, 2, Black Ops, Battlefield Bad Company 2 and Battelfield 3 and, sorry 343, but loadouts and pointstreaks (let’s be honest: that’s what ordinance drops are) are NOT new. They have been done to death by Call of Duty years ago and they hardly impress me, a hardened Call of Duty fan.

This leaves me with a big problem. The game is essentially Halo Reach that is copying what Call of Duty has been doing years ago. Even with the campaign qtes that Call of Duty did all the way back with Call of Duty 3! You would be a liar to say the qtes, like the one with the Didact, are not ripped straight from Call of Duty 3. Sure, Shenmue was doing Qtes long before Call of Duty, but Halo 4’s Qtes are done in almost the identical style of Call of Duty.

Even worse, the game modes that made Halo original are now gone. Race has been removed entirely and Grifball is not available for Matchmaking. Why the heck is Grifball not up yet? Why is Extraction not on Matchmaking? Why can’t I play the Campaign VIA Matchmaking? 343 say they aren’t ready and there are only two options. Either the game is basically a glorified Beta that isn’t even ready yet, or it’s to push the Infinity mode and cement the Call Of Duty influence. I want to play Halo! Black Ops 2 is sitting around whenever I want to play Call of Duty! I don’t need Halo 4 to be a lame wannabe Call of Duty.

But there is hope! Realistically, 343 CAN fix some of this. I ask of two main things from 343:

  • Put some ‘action sack’ type playlists in

These playlists, in a way, define Halo. Grifball, obviously, being the face of them. They have always been something no other console FPS has done. I can’t play Action Sack with Black Ops 2! I want the identity of Halo back and you can do it 343.

  • Make the upcoming map packs feel original

I don’t know how you are going to do this but dazzle us. I don’t want dull map dlc with nothing new in it. I’m no Halo 3 fanboy by any means, but I remember how awesome the sand forge level was for it’s time. Do something original and great like that.

I think these requests are reasonable. I’m not requesting unrealistic massive changes to the game which I know are not possible. Just please, give me Halo back. I already have my Call of Duty whenever I want to play it.

The irony is I like Halo 4 and know it has potential! Make sure it isn’t squandered to become a wanabe Call of Duty for it’s lifetime.

:slight_smile:

Bump

Yeah, they added a little too much Call of Duty elements.
It seems like Halo is just assimilating to the big modern shooters, trying to compete with those. Halo was great for being different than other games and revolutionizing FPS, wasn’t it? Now it does seem to copy from other games.
If only 343 would hurry up and release some updates.
I do want to enjoy custom games and insane gametypes as I did in Reach and Halo 3.

tl;dr

CoD didn’t invent those things. Halo really didn’t copy CoD.

etc.

> tl;dr
>
>
>
> CoD didn’t invent those things. Halo really didn’t copy CoD.
>
> etc.

You should read before you post! Makes you look stupid!

I’m going to tell you something that may shock you. COD did not invent any of those things you talk about… COD blatantly ripped them off from other games gasp!!!

OK now that that has sunk in I will now tell you that halo is finally catching up with the times and its style of combat is vastly different from COD’s “I pulled the trigger first so I win gameplay”. I’m so tired of people saying COD invented everything about shooters when halo itself is actually the father of all console shooters. Just because COD is the most popular shooter does not mean it invented everything like kill streaks or sprinting.

> > tl;dr
> >
> >
> >
> > CoD didn’t invent those things. Halo really didn’t copy CoD.
> >
> > etc.
>
> You should read before you post! Makes you look stupid!

Read the first couple lines. Was just saying Halo ripped off CoD.

It’s amazing how many people miss the point completely.

STAWP SAYING COD INVENTED EVETYHING CUZ DEES THINGS HAVE BEEN AROUND SENCE-

No. Learn to read. No one is saying CoD invented anything. What we are saying is Halo is just imitating every modern FPS out there and has no originality to it anymore.

Can’t deny that some of the new additions are call of duty inspired but they are still wildly different games.

Ok guys let me put it simply so you can all understand.

You are right. Call of Duty did not invent the things that have become popular, such as loadouts, sprinting and killstreaks.

However, it moulded them to the Call of Duty formula and popularised them.

Are you trying to seriously tell me that Halo 4 has just coincidentally implemented all the things Call of Duty popularised. Or, MAYBE, Halo 4 is copying Call of Duty!

> It’s amazing how many people miss the point completely.
>
> STAWP SAYING COD INVENTED EVETYHING CUZ DEES THINGS HAVE BEEN AROUND SENCE-
>
> No. Learn to read. No one is saying CoD invented anything. What we are saying is Halo is just imitating every modern FPS out there and has no originality to it anymore.

“All the new stuff is taken from Call Of Duty and you would be a liar to say otherwise”
Taken from the OP.

You’re cute though, with your condescending attitude. The OP did, in fact, say precisely that.

> Or, MAYBE, Halo 4 is copying Call of Duty!

Or MAYBE they implemented good ideas that they saw, regardless of where they came from.

> > It’s amazing how many people miss the point completely.
> >
> > STAWP SAYING COD INVENTED EVETYHING CUZ DEES THINGS HAVE BEEN AROUND SENCE-
> >
> > No. Learn to read. No one is saying CoD invented anything. What we are saying is Halo is just imitating every modern FPS out there and has no originality to it anymore.
>
> “All the new stuff is taken from Call Of Duty and you would be a liar to say otherwise”
> Taken from the OP.
>
>
>
> You’re cute though, with your condescending attitude. The OP did, in fact, say precisely that.

And I am right, the elements are taken straight from Call of Duty. I never remember saying the elements were taken from Call of Duty which invented them though.

Good post OP, constructive and not just bashing.

As an alternate viewpoint, I’ve always been a halo fan, and never really played COD or any of the other games you’ve mentioned. To me, the additions to halo feel fresh and new and not like tired knockoffs. Not to say I think they’re original, just that I do feel that add to and evolve Halo. I liked the old halos, I still like Halo 4. I’ll still buy halo 5. The more I play halo 4, the more comfortable I become with it. Its not bad, its just different, and people hate change. I don’t care if its similar to other games, I still like Halo and fail to be able to get into other games.

> > Or, MAYBE, Halo 4 is copying Call of Duty!
>
> Or MAYBE they implemented good ideas that they saw, regardless of where they came from.

In other words, copying Call of Duty?

I didn’t even want to get into a Call of Duty VS Halo war here.

I just want Halo’s identity to be intact, please.

Sure there are load outs in the game now and ordinance drops are an award system for doing well but aside from that halo 4 plays nothing like call of duty. I have both black ops 2 and halo 4 and enjoy them both but I have to change my play style every time I switch from one another. Halo 4 is not a twitch shooter like call of duty is plain and simple. Plus halo can’t stay stagnant forever. That will eventually kill the series if it doesn’t evolve and move forward.

I would also like to point out too that the addition of load outs and ordinance drops makes halo feel fresh again. It was getting stagnant with the same kind of gameplay. New game modes like dominion and regicide are great fun with dominion being something similar to battlefield 3’s conquest mode and regicide sort of being a king of the hill free for all combo that is a ton of fun.

> > It’s amazing how many people miss the point completely.
> >
> > STAWP SAYING COD INVENTED EVETYHING CUZ DEES THINGS HAVE BEEN AROUND SENCE-
> >
> > No. Learn to read. No one is saying CoD invented anything. What we are saying is Halo is just imitating every modern FPS out there and has no originality to it anymore.
>
> “All the new stuff is taken from Call Of Duty and you would be a liar to say otherwise”
> Taken from the OP.
>
>
>
> You’re cute though, with your condescending attitude. The OP did, in fact, say precisely that.

Because it is taken from call of duty.

Which do you think is more likely? Halo 4 was inspired by very old games, or Halo 4 was inspired by a modern competitor?

No one is arguing CoD invented anything, we are arguing that 343I and Microsoft took a gander at CoD, saw what was successful, and imitated it.

Also, calling me ‘cute’ is fairly condescending.

Yet again, learn to read. Scratch that, learn to comprehend.

> Its not bad, its just different, and people hate change.

Not this argument again. If I hated change I would not have bought Halo 2 after playing Halo 1.

People don’t hate change. They hate bad and unoriginal change that adds nothing to the game.

> Sure there are load outs in the game now and ordinance drops are an award system for doing well but aside from that halo 4 plays nothing like call of duty. I have both black ops 2 and halo 4 and enjoy them both but I have to change my play style every time I switch from one another. Halo 4 is not a twitch shooter like call of duty is plain and simple. Plus halo can’t stay stagnant forever. That will eventually kill the series if it doesn’t evolve and move forward.

I think the games are fundamentally very different but the Call of Duty influence is still undeniable. And I agree, Halo should change! My problem is that, because most the changes are lifted from Call of Duty tradition, nothing really feels fresh or new.

> I see many people complain about Halo 4 but, to be honest, I think everyone is missing the biggest problem with Halo 4: the lack of any originality or identity. But wait, I know what you are all thinking, both Halo 4 hater and lover.
>
> ‘What do you mean the game is not original? The game is completely different to past Halos! Sprint, armour abilities, loadouts, ordinance drops. How can you say Halo 4 is not original!’
>
> Well all I see are how Halo 4 is different but I don’t say how any of it is original. All the new stuff is taken from Call Of Duty and you would be a liar to say otherwise. Now, in a way, that’s fine with me because, shock and horror, I like Call of Duty. In fact, I’m a Call of Duty fan. But here’s my problem: I want to play Halo, which I also love, and not a wannabe Call of Duty. Because I’m a Call of Duty fan, I think I can see how much this game blatantly rips off Call of Duty more than most because it extends beyond mere loadouts and sprinting.
>
> If you take out the Call of Duty imitation what does Halo 4 do new? The Prometheans and Pelican flying? I would include the Mantis too, despite the blatant Metal Gear influence. These parts are great! Even Dominion, which is a Battlefield Clone game mode, feels like a Halo take on the formula and good fun. I think most people would agree that the new enemies, vehicles, game modes and art designs are the hillight of Halo 4. But beyond these few additions I cannot name anything that is original or feels like a continuation of Halo. I have played Modern Warefare 1, 2, Black Ops, Battlefield Bad Company 2 and Battelfield 3 and, sorry 343, but loadouts and pointstreaks (let’s be honest: that’s what ordinance drops are) are NOT new. They have been done to death by Call of Duty years ago and they hardly impress me, a hardened Call of Duty fan.
>
> This leaves me with a big problem. The game is essentially Halo Reach that is copying what Call of Duty has been doing years ago. Even with the campaign qtes that Call of Duty did all the way back with Call of Duty 3! You would be a liar to say the qtes, like the one with the Didact, are not ripped straight from Call of Duty 3. Sure, Shenmue was doing Qtes long before Call of Duty, but Halo 4’s Qtes are done in almost the identical style of Call of Duty.
>
> Even worse, the game modes that made Halo original are now gone. Race has been removed entirely and Grifball is not available for Matchmaking. Why the heck is Grifball not up yet? Why is Extraction not on Matchmaking? Why can’t I play the Campaign VIA Matchmaking? 343 say they aren’t ready and there are only two options. Either the game is basically a glorified Beta that isn’t even ready yet, or it’s to push the Infinity mode and cement the Call Of Duty influence. I want to play Halo! Black Ops 2 is sitting around whenever I want to play Call of Duty! I don’t need Halo 4 to be a lame wannabe Call of Duty.
>
>
> But there is hope! Realistically, 343 CAN fix some of this. I ask of two main things from 343:
>
> - Put some ‘action sack’ type playlists in
>
> These playlists, in a way, define Halo. Grifball, obviously, being the face of them. They have always been something no other console FPS has done. I can’t play Action Sack with Black Ops 2! I want the identity of Halo back and you can do it 343.
>
> - Make the upcoming map packs feel original
>
> I don’t know how you are going to do this but dazzle us. I don’t want dull map dlc with nothing new in it. I’m no Halo 3 fanboy by any means, but I remember how awesome the sand forge level was for it’s time. Do something original and great like that.
>
>
> I think these requests are reasonable. I’m not requesting unrealistic massive changes to the game which I know are not possible. Just please, give me Halo back. I already have my Call of Duty whenever I want to play it.
>
> The irony is I like Halo 4 and know it has potential! Make sure it isn’t squandered to become a wanabe Call of Duty for it’s lifetime.
>
> :slight_smile:

Unfortinitly because they keep doing this to there games i became more of a cod fan than a halo fan. );

Call of Duty didn’t come up with anything either. They just popularized it exponentially. Halo is on its knees unless Halo 5 slaps me in the face like Halo 2 did. I’m stuck playing BO2,guess what? I don’t like COD, but since I have no other game I’m playing BO2.

A big update better happen with this game or else I will sell it. ( 1st Halo returned, 1st LE returned, 1st game EVER returned ). It’s sad to see what Halo has come to. All the people trying to defend Halo 4 comes from mid-late Halo 3 and Halo reach players. All Veterans and die-hard fans ( people who spent 20 hours in the halo Wikipedia ) and pros are disappointed.