A better ranking system for Halo 5

The ranking system in Halo 4 is boring to be honest. There’s no real meaning to it like in Halo 2 and 3.

It’s just EXP that’s awarded for everything. And you really don’t have to have a lot time on your hands to rank up.

There’s no drive to ‘do’ in games. If we gained EXP for winning games (like in Halo 3) people would have more of an incentive to win and if another way of gaining EXP was based on our performance then people really would play for that.

Combine that with getting EXP for winning…

I didn’t like the idea of loosing EXP for not winning or doing bad in Halo 3,but I did feel that Halo 3’s ranking system was a great idea and deserved the time (REACH) to be improved and tweaked, but it never got it.

The ranking system in Halo 4 is one of the reasons some of my friends stopped playing and I think people have been overlooking this issue a bit. I think we have to have a good ranking system in place, it’s one thing I enjoyed about Halo 2 and Halo 3, we had something to aim for, to work for.

On a side note, True Skill - We had CSR in Halo 4 but you never saw it in game so I wasn’t bothered by it…didn’t even know it was there. I’d like to see True Skill properly return.

We have to remember people Halo is (should) be a competitive game - an arena shooter, we need a proper ranking system to go with that.

What does everyone think?

Thanks for reading.

Yes I agree with having a ranking system similar to that of Halo 3’s. When you give people the opportunity to progress in such a way like Halo 4 does, it takes away the basic drive to win. Team games don’t always feel like team games anymore, it feels like a group of people who just do their own thing. This is especially the case with objective gametypes.

However I don’t ever see 343 revisiting such a structure, but I’m willing to compromise if they remove K/D tracking from objective gametypes. At least this way people can focus on the objective without having to worry about their “precious K/D”.

K/D should only be the index for slayer game types
W/L should more importantly be the index for objective game types

They probably won’t to be honest. But I hope they do, Spartan Rank 1-130 is pretty boring. They could have at least given ranks an actual name…I’d compromise if they did that and did the K/D thing you mentioned.

But I know that a ranking system like we had in Halo 2 and 3 would make a lot more fans content. It’s yet another problem.

2/3 had it perfect. Social, Ranked. Everybody wins.

I want three ranks:
BPR/CSR/Skill Rank (1-50/1-100)
Win EXP Rank (not sure for this one, maybe Iron-Onyx?)
Playtime EXP Rank (Recruit-Inheritor)

I think there should be two kinds of ranking systems.

One should be a simple xp-leveling progession rank, something between Reach’s (too long) and Halo 4’s (too short).
The progression rank would unlock aesthetic items for your custom Spartan or your player card (armor, stances, skins, decorations, etc.).

The other should be a skill based rank (1-50), primarily to match people and create teams that are almost on par for competitive as well as for social playlists.
I think a well-working ‘skill rank system’ is a main factor to successfully reduce quitting during games as well.

> I think there should be two kinds of ranking systems.
>
> One should be a simple xp-leveling progession rank, something between Reach’s (too long) and Halo 4’s (too short).
> The progression rank would unlock aesthetic items for your custom Spartan or your player card (armor, stances, skins, decorations, etc.).
>
> The other should be a skill based rank (1-50), primarily to match people and create teams that are almost on par for competitive as well as for social playlists.
> I think a well-working ‘skill rank system’ is a main factor to successfully reduce quitting as well.

I agree with this, I know a lot of people when they get into a team where the players are all horrible they will leave the game just because it makes the gaming experience so unlikable. True skill should be implemented in game and be used in a way that when you win or have a great game you go up, but that when you lose or have a bad game you stay where you were, I hated in H3 that I would be on a great streak and then have a craptacular game and it would bring me back down.

I also agree on the ranking types, Please 343 give us actual rank names and not 1 thru what ever. It makes the game fun.

Bring back in-game CSR for ranked playlists, and the incentive to win goes up dramatically. Then, add actual military ranks like we had in Halo 3 and you essentially cut quitting in half. 343 made no incentive to continue playing/winning in 4 which is why so many people left so quickly…

Halo 4’s ranking system was garbage.
I hate to say it, but it was.
I liked the commendation system, but the whole “SR” thing was just terrible. They made it so as you progress to higher numbers, it gets harder to progress to higher numbers. That is absolutely no fun. I could go 50-0, and still get only around 2000 credits. It really feels like it’s not rewarding, especially since I’m fairly decent at the game, but only visit on occasion. I’ve been stuck at SR79 for so long…

I believe we should return to the Competitive-Casual split. Competitive would be ranked, and casual wouldn’t. Same playlists, just different concepts. Maybe competitive could have a few more, like Grifball or something, but still, as I said before, same playlists. I honestly think this would put Halo 5 way up there in terms of re-playability.

Whether or not Infinity Slayer should be a the casual Slayer playlist, however. Not a good call. But that’s a different discussion for a different thread.

343i knows what’s up by now, they’ll deliver.

I’d like something similar to Halo 3’s, only more consistent. Halo 3’s was good, and far, far better than 4 or Reach, but it could sometimes be frustratingly inconsistent. One time, I won 7 or 8 games in a row and didn’t go up, then lost and went up. Just didn’t make sense.

Something where you need a set amount of wins, however every time you lose, you lose a win. Example: To go from 30 to 31 you need 10 wins. You win 2 games but lose 1, you are at 1/10. I think it provides a consistent base to work off of, and it forces you to win more than you lose, which is always good for competitive gameplay.