A Better Ranking System - 343i employees please read and consider

I like the 1 to 50 number representing my skill, but I like how Reach tried to remove cheaters and bad players from the system by making the ‘ranking up’ about the 4 best players in the 8 player slayer system, instead of the winning team ( which more often had 1 or 2 good players and 2 bad ones ) … In H3 many people would rank up by playing with others better then they are… thus making it true that the number doesn’t represent the true skill - at least in Halo 3’s system.

In other words… they could use the 1 to 50 number system with the current Reach system of ranking up the 4 best players… giving it the best of both worlds… Reach removed much of the ‘Halo 3 type of boosting’ because the team losing had no effect on 1 or 2 that played well…

If 343i wanted to do it even BETTER they could use a 1 thru 50 rank number system that was a hybrid… How about If you’re the best players you get some points towards ranking up -AND- if you’re on the winning team you get some points for ranking up… THUS - If you’re one of the best players AND on the winning team you get the most points - causing you to rank up a bit faster… If you’re on the winning team YOU STILL get some points towards ranking up… but the quickest move up would be the best players: the ONE’s that are consistantly good and consistantly causing their team to win…

To me this does THREE IMPORTANT things… 1) it gives motivation to work as a team [like good teams in Halo 3] since you get points for winning as a TEAM - even if you’re not the best player. 2) If you’re one of the BEST PLAYER(s) you have motivation to play good cuz you get points for that too !! So you could still be on the losing team and get points as one of the best 4 players… but be motivated to win [as a team] by knowing you get the MOST POINTS by playing well and winning together as a team… 3) If you’re on of the players who is good, but not great you won’t rank up much on the backs of others…but you’ll get enough points to place you around a 35 ( in example ) but be more accurately rated !

Lastly what also needs tweaked is the points you get for kills versus deaths… You curently get a point for a kill and only a third (.33) points taken awak for a death… It needs to be more like (.5) removed…

Example A: If you get 20 kills ( 20 points ) and you die 21 times ( 6.93 points removed ) - You END THE GAME NEGATIVE 1 - YOU HAD A NEGATIVE EFFECT ON YOUR TEAM AND you still have end up with 13 POINTS…

EXAMPLE B: If you get 10 kills ( 10 points ) and you die 6 times ( 1.98 points removed ) - You WERE POSITIVE 4 at then end of the game - YOU HAD A POSITIVE IMPACT ON YOUR TEAM - but you end up with 8 points …

The guy in exampe B is the better player… the point of the game is to win and the only way to win is to have a team with more PLUSES then NEGATIVES… Being a good player means for the most part being a player that is more in the plus when looking at 100 games then in the negative…

Yet the ranking system rewards players with more kills even if they suck ? Even if they are more negative ? Thats why you see players who are sometimes in higher divisions and have a worse K/d… Worse K/d ? Meaning 1 on 1 they would get their butt kicked…
Yet the guy in example A is hailed as the better player point-wise in Reach … In Halo 3/ Halo 2 or any Custom game you NEVER WANT this guy with NEGAVTIVE…

The better player counts their kills and deaths and combines reckless play/ with careful play at the appropriate times… and does their best to be plus at the end of the game… the point system needs to reflect and support this

This is how Halo: Reach used to work (Basically), but the community whined and whined and cried, so Bungie changed it to a Win/Loss system ONLY.

Community Feedback is not always right…

> This is how Halo: Reach used to work (Basically), but the community whined and whined and cried, so Bungie changed it to a Win/Loss system ONLY.
>
> Community Feedback is not always right…

I heard they changed it yet when i played months ago ( after the supposed change ) I was on the winning team a few times ( but not the best player ) and I ranked DOWN… thus making me doubt te changes and I saw threads on a possible win/loss system - but where an OFFICIAL Link showing it by Bungie ?

> > This is how Halo: Reach used to work (Basically), but the community whined and whined and cried, so Bungie changed it to a Win/Loss system ONLY.
> >
> > Community Feedback is not always right…
>
> I heard they changed it yet when i played months ago ( after the supposed change ) I was on the winning team afew times ( but not the best player ) and I ranked DOWN…

That was probably before the change and you performed poorly.

Officially, March 1st was the change.

Link

> > > This is how Halo: Reach used to work (Basically), but the community whined and whined and cried, so Bungie changed it to a Win/Loss system ONLY.
> > >
> > > Community Feedback is not always right…
> >
> > I heard they changed it yet when i played months ago ( after the supposed change ) I was on the winning team afew times ( but not the best player ) and I ranked DOWN…
>
> That was probably before the change and you performed poorly.
>
> Officially, March 1st was the change.
>
> Link

Thanks…

I prefer the system based on your team’s W/L mainly because it encourages teamwork instead of people sitting back cleaning up kills to improve only your K/D.

Sometimes you get randoms who do really bad and that isn’t fair, but it’s even worse when you get a random who sits in the back caring about his K/D more than the win.

> I prefer the system based on your team’s W/L mainly because it encourages teamwork instead of people sitting back cleaning up kills to improve only your K/D.
>
> Sometimes you get randoms who do really bad and that isn’t fair, but it’s even worse when you get a random who sits in the back caring about his K/D more than the win.

I agree with you, but the system I proposed above I feel promotes team work as well as motivation for the individual to do well too… if you got points to play well… alot of kills ( not too many deaths )… and points for winning… you’d have everyone on the team trying to play well and win …

One thing bad about a Team W/L system is boosters are back… which is why i feel they need something based on a team W/L system but some added system to make things better…

http://forums.bungie.org/halo/archive35.pl?read=1054300

> http://forums.bungie.org/halo/archive35.pl?read=1054300

wow, thanks a good read ! No wonder I couldnt get passed 32 in Halo 2 !! I knew it was full of cheaters… but I didnt know i was one of the few up there ( at the top who didnt cheat )…

> http://forums.bungie.org/halo/archive35.pl?read=1054300

You sir, win this thread.