900 card owners, don't hold your breath

Hi guys,

Bit of a public service announcement this, as no one at 343i has bothered to communicate this properly. But the Nvidia 900 card owners are effed in the A once more.

You will not be getting an invite, even though some victorious tweet was posted a while ago that the issues for these cards were solved. Because deep down in a reddit thread, this was posted my mr. Jarrard:

> hey, I got an update on this - unfortunately, it sounds like some 900-series card issues are still present in this upcoming preview build. The team did indeed address the major crash problem that was present during the last technical preview but as is often the case with game development, other issues have surfaced. I’m sorry to say that for this next preview, 900 series cards are not supported. I’ll share more info as I can get it, the team is continuing to work on bug fixing and polish for this and other areas of the game on the road to release.

Embarrassing.

> 2644524424069134;1:
> Hi guys,
>
> Bit of a public service announcement this, as no one at 343i has bothered to communicate this properly. But the Nvidia 900 card owners are effed in the A once more.
>
> You will not be getting an invite, even though some victorious tweet was posted a while ago that the issues for these cards were solved. Because deep down in a reddit thread, this was posted my mr. Jarrard:
>
>
> > hey, I got an update on this - unfortunately, it sounds like some 900-series card issues are still present in this upcoming preview build. The team did indeed address the major crash problem that was present during the last technical preview but as is often the case with game development, other issues have surfaced. I’m sorry to say that for this next preview, 900 series cards are not supported. I’ll share more info as I can get it, the team is continuing to work on bug fixing and polish for this and other areas of the game on the road to release.
>
> Embarrassing.

Frustrating… for sure.

But we’re still in tech previews… so it’s probably not ‘embarrasing’ unless you’re still locked out at release.

Not being a PC guy… do we know the problem? Is it a technical issue with the engine… or are the cards struggling to keep up?

What’s embarrassing to me is that they first triumphantly state on twitter they have solved the problems and now quiet as a mouse reply in a reddit thread that ‘ooops, problems aren’t solved’.

I can’t predict the future of course, but their ridiculously high min spec for pc does not give me confidence that these problems will indeed be solved by launch.

This went as expected. There is a reason they are quiet about several areas in the game and it’s not because they don’t want to spoil the plot :slight_smile:

Is it really all that embarrassing that in a preview build of the game that technical issues surfaced preventing one of hundreds of possible hardware configurations from participating?

I mean, you’re playing on an outdated card…why would you be invited?

that is…awful. I guess it doesn’t change anything because it’s not like the game would work anyway. I got in with a Radeon card from the same era (fury x). Anxious about how the lack of driver support will affect my experience. On one hand the 980 came out 7 years ago (almost to the day!) but considering how many people won’t be able to upgrade due to the difficulty acquiring such an upgrade, this is really scary for 900 series card owners. I hope things are all good for launch! I feel really bad for you guys :frowning:

> 2535433234073071;6:
> I mean, you’re playing on an outdated card…why would you be invited?

Can’t anyone read in this forum? Because they told us only a couple of weeks ago that the issues with this chipset were solved.

> 2535433234073071;6:
> I mean, you’re playing on an outdated card…why would you be invited?

Yeah, i mean, he can just walk into a store and buy a new graphics card at msrp … oh wait /s

> 2644524424069134;8:
> > 2535433234073071;6:
> > I mean, you’re playing on an outdated card…why would you be invited?
>
> Can’t anyone read in this forum? Because they told us only a couple of weeks ago that the issues with this chipset were solved.

Did they say they had fixed all the issues, or that they had fixed some of them?

That sucks. I don’t expect that it would play well on a 900 series though. Don’t see how it can be expected to look and feel like a true next generation title which can really utilize a series x or a 3000 series GPU while also being able to run well on a 7-8 year old card.

Still disappointing that they are inconsistent with the communication.

I remember there being a thread that came about because of his comment and people couldnt grasp that they werent working not because of power but that there are so many other parts of a GPU like firmware, micro-architecture, drivers and so on. with the higher then normal specs for infinite i wouldnt be surprised if the engine was built without them in mind. but thats just conjecture and holds no real bearings.

the point is just because a 980 is more powerful then a 1050ti doesnt mean it should “just work” there are so many more things that could go wrong.

> 2535469609708123;11:
> That sucks. I don’t expect that it would play well on a 900 series though. Don’t see how it can be expected to look and feel like a true next generation title which can really utilize a series x or a 3000 series GPU while also being able to run well on a 7-8 year old card.
>
> Still disappointing that they are inconsistent with the communication.

If it can play well on an xbox one x, it should be able to play even better on let’s say a 980ti. It doesn’t because they just haven’t optimized for this architecture.

You’re using 4 generation old hardware and mad about it.

> 2533274841319028;14:
> You’re using 4 generation old hardware and mad about it.

Round of applause for sonny, with an incredible contribution to the thread there.

> 2644524424069134;15:
> > 2533274841319028;14:
> > You’re using 4 generation old hardware and mad about it.
>
> Round of applause for sonny, with an incredible contribution to the thread there.

I mean it’s true though. It’s very out dated hardware. You can’t expect it to work for new games forever. And you especially can’t expect tech tests that aren’t full release builds to support very old pc hardware either

uh? grow up? Tech issues happen and them saying it was fixed then finding out it isnt is pretty common. Anyone in the PC space should know this. Whats more embarrasing is this point and the snoodiness of it

> 2644524424069134;15:
> > 2533274841319028;14:
> > You’re using 4 generation old hardware and mad about it.
>
> Round of applause for sonny, with an incredible contribution to the thread there.

to be fair only stating someone else isnt contributing doesnt make your comment aswell a contribution.

to add to the thread, it honestly seems like the slipspace engine wasnt made with compatibility with 900 series in mind and thats why they are trying to add it in. its not as simple as “some 900 cards are more powerful the the 1050ti” there is the alot of other parts to the gpu that i outlined in my comment above

> 2533274847845259;12:
> …so many other parts of a GPU like firmware, micro-architecture, drivers and so on…

> 2644524424069134;1:
> Hi guys,
>
> Bit of a public service announcement this, as no one at 343i has bothered to communicate this properly. But the Nvidia 900 card owners are effed in the A once more.
>
> You will not be getting an invite, even though some victorious tweet was posted a while ago that the issues for these cards were solved. Because deep down in a reddit thread, this was posted my mr. Jarrard:
>
>
> > hey, I got an update on this - unfortunately, it sounds like some 900-series card issues are still present in this upcoming preview build. The team did indeed address the major crash problem that was present during the last technical preview but as is often the case with game development, other issues have surfaced. I’m sorry to say that for this next preview, 900 series cards are not supported. I’ll share more info as I can get it, the team is continuing to work on bug fixing and polish for this and other areas of the game on the road to release.
>
> Embarrassing.

It is truly funny to me cause I have both an Xbox and PC. My PC during the first flight absolutely had a 970 SSC in it for the first flight. I only played 2 matches on PC (with 0 issues) but I don’t understand the hate. I’m not expecting everyone to have the latest and greatest cards but these things are complicated. And lets be real, that card is 7 years old. Its probably time for an upgrade unless you only play League. I get that the environment for cards now if dire but I don’t think 343 is intentionally screwing anyone despite what OP and others seem to think.

> 2533274847845259;18:
> > 2644524424069134;15:
> > > 2533274841319028;14:
> > > You’re using 4 generation old hardware and mad about it.
> >
> > Round of applause for sonny, with an incredible contribution to the thread there.
>
> to be fair only stating someone else isnt contributing doesnt make your comment aswell a contribution.
>
> to add to the thread, it honestly seems like the slipspace engine wasnt made with compatibility with 900 series in mind and thats why they are trying to add it in. its not as simple as “some 900 cards are more powerful the the 1050ti” there is the alot of other parts to the gpu that i outlined in my comment above
>
>
> > 2533274847845259;12:
> > …so many other parts of a GPU like firmware, micro-architecture, drivers and so on…

It is a good point, you right about that.

> 2533274836669416;19:
> > 2644524424069134;1:
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > Bit of a public service announcement this, as no one at 343i has bothered to communicate this properly. But the Nvidia 900 card owners are effed in the A once more.
> >
> > You will not be getting an invite, even though some victorious tweet was posted a while ago that the issues for these cards were solved. Because deep down in a reddit thread, this was posted my mr. Jarrard:
> >
> >
> > > hey, I got an update on this - unfortunately, it sounds like some 900-series card issues are still present in this upcoming preview build. The team did indeed address the major crash problem that was present during the last technical preview but as is often the case with game development, other issues have surfaced. I’m sorry to say that for this next preview, 900 series cards are not supported. I’ll share more info as I can get it, the team is continuing to work on bug fixing and polish for this and other areas of the game on the road to release.
> >
> > Embarrassing.
>
> It is truly funny to me cause I have both an Xbox and PC. My PC during the first flight absolutely had a 970 SSC in it for the first flight. I only played 2 matches on PC (with 0 issues) but I don’t understand the hate. I’m not expecting everyone to have the latest and greatest cards but these things are complicated. And lets be real, that card is 7 years old. Its probably time for an upgrade unless you only play League. I get that the environment for cards now if dire but I don’t think 343 is intentionally screwing anyone despite what OP and others seem to think.

I don’t think they are screwing anyone intentionally at all. What annoys me most is not that it’s not supported but the comms around this:

1. Invite to the first flight even though they have your config and therefore know it doesn’t work.
  2. Tweeting the problem with the 900 series is fixed and that they will be supported next flight.
  3. Quietly retract the above statememt in a backwater reddit thread.

Of course it’s time to upgrade. Of course I’m mad about it. Hence my sarcasm towards the stating the obvious champion earlier.

Getting a new graphics card right now is damn near impossible though.