80 days later. A honest review from a fan.

Halo 5 Guardians: 3/10

I will get into my reasoning after the following disclaimer: I have been an avid and passionate fan of this series since I picked up my first Xbox console in November, 2001 and with it, my copy of Halo Combat Evolved.

Fast forward nearly two decades and here we are, 80 days post launch of 343i’s latest installment into the Halo franchise, Halo 5 Guardians. I will begin by stating I believe it is irresponsible for gaming based news reporting agencies to issue blanket reviews (et um… IGN. giving Halo 5 a 9/10 on October 26th. one full day prior to launch) before understanding the product they are reviewing. Here is why I believe Halo 5 is at best a 3/10. I will start with the campaign followed by Mulitiplayer.

  • The campaign is boring, linear, confusing and poorly written. - The character development for both Blue team and Osiris is non existent. - The marketing campaign behind Halo 5 was misleading and some would argue intentionally so because 343i knew the story was bad (i’m still “hunting for the truth”). - The boss battles in Halo 5 are redundant and slightly ridiculous/lacking purpose. - Spartan Jameson Locke is currently the face of the Halo franchise, why? He is boring and for the most part unlikable. - Halo has such a rich and diverse universe/lore, is this the best way 343i can make use of it in their games campaign? By plagiarizing story elements out of the Mass Effect series (Reapers=Guardians… Massive/homicidal AI construct controlling the reapers/guardians… Humanities defenders in Mass Effect, Cerberus a zealously pro human organization. Humanities defenders in Halo ONI, a zealously pro human organization. etc etc). If so, that’s pretty darn sad. - No splitscreen. Really? Who is responsible for this decision and are they still employed by 343i/Microsoft? Every Halo title until H5 had one thing in common, a solid and enjoyable campaign as its foundation; the multiplayer only served to compliment an outstanding campaign. 343i broke this trend with their release of Halo 5 Guardians by apparently focusing all of their efforts on the MP and even there they fell amazingly short.

  • Where are the game modes? (Don’t tell me they are coming in future "free DLC’s, 343i had 3 years to complete this before Halo 5 was launched. That is more than enough time**).** - Where are the maps? (Please see above). - Where are the social playlists? Don’t get me wrong, Competitive MP is fun but we need a break in between competitive MP otherwise it begins to feel like, dare I say, a job (and warzone doesn’t count as a social playlist). - Match making and the ranking system in Arena are broken. (this deserves its own topic and discussion by itself). - No joining games that are underway. (wow… its 4v4 thats ultra competitive slayer and 2 people on your team just quit… That’s fun). - Warzone is great but c’mon. There needed to be at least 2 more maps available at launch (and battle of Noctus is TERRIBLE). - BTB maps are shameful and 343i should issue a formal apology for having the audacity to launch such subpar graphics with the first new Halo title on the Xbox One platform. I have been supportive of 343i until now (yes, even through that horrendous spectacle known as the Master Chief Collection). Its simple, they have been granted a “three strike policy” and have officially struck out. 1). Halo 4’s MP. 2). The MCC. and now 3). Halo 5’s campaign.

Microsoft should not allow 343i to continue development on Halo 6 or any future Halo related titles. It’s time for Halo to be farmed out to a third party who must create a great game in order to be successful/stay in operation. 343i’s is funded by Microsoft and does not require massive amounts of revenue to be generated in order for their entity to stay in business. I believe this allows 343i to be complacent and as a direct result, we are left broken games like the MCC and half games like Halo 4 (campaign good, but MP not so much) and Halo 5 (MP good but campaign straight up terrible).

forums/6e35355aecdf4fd0acdaee3cc4156fd4/topics/i-tried-to-like-halo-5-343/cf58a3e8-6e40-4c4a-ba80-e416f302adc2/

You wrote a great thread, hopefully we are not the only ones on waypoint who feel this way.

Yeah there are alot of fans that feel the same way its a shame this game had potential i wouldnt say 3/10 though the gameplay itself is solid but its everything else thats lacking id probably give it a 6/10

I don’t think we are. But occasionally you’ll see someone who never played the previous halos before trying to whiteknight by justifying that halo 5 has:
60 fps
better graphics
more weapons
which directly equates to a better game in their book.
I’d pick a reskinned halo 3 in halo 5 graphics without warzone over halo 5 anyday.

Agree with all your points, all valid complaints. The game is stale/boring already. Regardless of what is to come, it’s too little, too late. (again).

Our only hope is that the Powerball winner is a Halo 1-3 fan, and buys 343.

> 2533274832697531;6:
> Agree with all your points, all valid complaints. The game is stale/boring already. Regardless of what is to come, it’s too little, too late. (again).
>
> Our only hope is that the Powerball winner is a Halo 1-3 fan, and buys 343.

We should all throw in 20 bucks and buy some tickets :slight_smile:

> 2535441488042067;7:
> > 2533274832697531;6:
> > Agree with all your points, all valid complaints. The game is stale/boring already. Regardless of what is to come, it’s too little, too late. (again).
> >
> > Our only hope is that the Powerball winner is a Halo 1-3 fan, and buys 343.
>
>
> We should all throw in 20 bucks and buy some tickets :slight_smile:

I got my ticket.

Halo 5 in my opinion is pretty good the campaign could have been better, but everything else for me is good.

> 2535441488042067;1:
> Halo 5 Guardians: 3/10
>
> I will get into my reasoning after the following disclaimer: I have been an avid and passionate fan of this series since I picked up my first Xbox console in November, 2001 and with it, my copy of Halo Combat Evolved.
>
> Fast forward nearly two decades and here we are, 80 days post launch of 343i’s latest installment into the Halo franchise, Halo 5 Guardians. I will begin by stating I believe it is irresponsible for gaming based news reporting agencies to issue blanket reviews (et um… IGN. giving Halo 5 a 9/10 on October 26th. one full day prior to launch) before understanding the product they are reviewing. Here is why I believe Halo 5 is at best a 3/10. I will start with the campaign followed by Mulitiplayer.
>
>
>
> - The campaign is boring, linear, confusing and poorly written.
> - The character development for both Blue team and Osiris is non existent.
> - The marketing campaign behind Halo 5 was misleading and some would argue intentionally so because 343i knew the story was bad (i’m still “hunting for the truth”).
> - The boss battles in Halo 5 are redundant and slightly ridiculous/lacking purpose.
> - Spartan Jameson Locke is currently the face of the Halo franchise, why? He is boring and for the most part unlikable.
> - Halo has such a rich and diverse universe/lore, is this the best way 343i can make use of it in their games campaign? By plagiarizing story elements out of the Mass Effect series (Reapers=Guardians… Massive/homicidal AI construct controlling the reapers/guardians… Humanities defenders in Mass Effect, Cerberus a zealously pro human organization. Humanities defenders in Halo ONI, a zealously pro human organization. etc etc). If so, that’s pretty darn sad.
> - No splitscreen. Really? Who is responsible for this decision and are they still employed by 343i/Microsoft?
> Every Halo title until H5 had one thing in common, a solid and enjoyable campaign as its foundation; the multiplayer only served to compliment an outstanding campaign. 343i broke this trend with their release of Halo 5 Guardians by apparently focusing all of their efforts on the MP and even there they fell amazingly short.
>
>
>
> - Where are the game modes? (Don’t tell me they are coming in future "free DLC’s, 343i had 3 years to complete this before Halo 5 was launched. That is more than enough time**).**
> - Where are the maps? (Please see above).
> - Where are the social playlists? Don’t get me wrong, Competitive MP is fun but we need a break in between competitive MP otherwise it begins to feel like, dare I say, a job (and warzone doesn’t count as a social playlist).
> - Match making and the ranking system in Arena are broken. (this deserves its own topic and discussion by itself).
> - No joining games that are underway. (wow… its 4v4 thats ultra competitive slayer and 2 people on your team just quit… That’s fun).
> - Warzone is great but c’mon. There needed to be at least 2 more maps available at launch (and battle of Noctus is TERRIBLE).
> - BTB maps are shameful and 343i should issue a formal apology for having the audacity to launch such subpar graphics with the first new Halo title on the Xbox One platform.
> I have been supportive of 343i until now (yes, even through that horrendous spectacle known as the Master Chief Collection). Its simple, they have been granted a “three strike policy” and have officially struck out. 1). Halo 4’s MP. 2). The MCC. and now 3). Halo 5’s campaign.
>
> Microsoft should not allow 343i to continue development on Halo 6 or any future Halo related titles. It’s time for Halo to be farmed out to a third party who must create a great game in order to be successful/stay in operation. 343i’s is funded by Microsoft and does not require massive amounts of revenue to be generated in order for their entity to stay in business. I believe this allows 343i to be complacent and as a direct result, we are left broken games like the MCC and half games like Halo 4 (campaign good, but MP not so much) and Halo 5 (MP good but campaign straight up terrible).

great thread i have one just like this rn, however i refrain from using opinions. But i agree with you, whats up 343?

I used to like 343, now I feel this way.

> Microsoft should not allow 343i to continue development on Halo 6 or any future Halo related titles. It’s time for Halo to be farmed out to a third party who must create a great game in order to be successful/stay in operation.

3/10 is a little far IMO, to me, Halo 5 is a 7/10. Where I would put a 5/10 for Halo 4, 7/10 for Halo Reach, 7/10 for Halo 3: ODST, 10/10 for Halo 3, 9/10 for Halo 2 and 9/10 for Halo CE

> 2533275016942754;11:
> I used to like 343, now I feel this way.
>
>
> > Microsoft should not allow 343i to continue development on Halo 6 or any future Halo related titles. It’s time for Halo to be farmed out to a third party who must create a great game in order to be successful/stay in operation.

If Activision buys Halo I quit, sorry

> 2533275009809302;12:
> 3/10 is a little far IMO, to me, Halo 5 is a 7/10. Where I would put a 5/10 for Halo 4, 7/10 for Halo Reach, 7/10 for Halo 3: ODST, 10/10 for Halo 3, 9/10 for Halo 2 and 9/10 for Halo CE

3 out of 10 is way to low. Halo 5 is a 6 or 7, halo 4 is about the same- especially if you’re looking at how in play in MCC.

ODST could be higher if you take it as an expansion of the H3 campaign, but lack of a true multiplayer hurt it a bit.

Reach is a solid 8 simply because it was so replayable for so many people. Firefight, customs and forge… Yeah, bloom sucked, but if you changed the settings Reach was a blast.

Halos CE through 3 are all 9 or 10 quality. I wasn’t fan of 3, but I can really appreciate how much it improved on H2 for many people.

> 2535441488042067;1:
> Halo 5 Guardians: 3/10
>
> I will get into my reasoning after the following disclaimer: I have been an avid and passionate fan of this series since I picked up my first Xbox console in November, 2001 and with it, my copy of Halo Combat Evolved.
>
> Fast forward nearly two decades and here we are, 80 days post launch of 343i’s latest installment into the Halo franchise, Halo 5 Guardians. I will begin by stating I believe it is irresponsible for gaming based news reporting agencies to issue blanket reviews (et um… IGN. giving Halo 5 a 9/10 on October 26th. one full day prior to launch) before understanding the product they are reviewing. Here is why I believe Halo 5 is at best a 3/10. I will start with the campaign followed by Mulitiplayer.
>
>
>
> - The campaign is boring, linear, confusing and poorly written.
> - The character development for both Blue team and Osiris is non existent.
> - The marketing campaign behind Halo 5 was misleading and some would argue intentionally so because 343i knew the story was bad (i’m still “hunting for the truth”).
> - The boss battles in Halo 5 are redundant and slightly ridiculous/lacking purpose.
> - Spartan Jameson Locke is currently the face of the Halo franchise, why? He is boring and for the most part unlikable.
> - Halo has such a rich and diverse universe/lore, is this the best way 343i can make use of it in their games campaign? By plagiarizing story elements out of the Mass Effect series (Reapers=Guardians… Massive/homicidal AI construct controlling the reapers/guardians… Humanities defenders in Mass Effect, Cerberus a zealously pro human organization. Humanities defenders in Halo ONI, a zealously pro human organization. etc etc). If so, that’s pretty darn sad.
> - No splitscreen. Really? Who is responsible for this decision and are they still employed by 343i/Microsoft?
> Every Halo title until H5 had one thing in common, a solid and enjoyable campaign as its foundation; the multiplayer only served to compliment an outstanding campaign. 343i broke this trend with their release of Halo 5 Guardians by apparently focusing all of their efforts on the MP and even there they fell amazingly short.
>
>
>
> - Where are the game modes? (Don’t tell me they are coming in future "free DLC’s, 343i had 3 years to complete this before Halo 5 was launched. That is more than enough time**).**
> - Where are the maps? (Please see above).
> - Where are the social playlists? Don’t get me wrong, Competitive MP is fun but we need a break in between competitive MP otherwise it begins to feel like, dare I say, a job (and warzone doesn’t count as a social playlist).
> - Match making and the ranking system in Arena are broken. (this deserves its own topic and discussion by itself).
> - No joining games that are underway. (wow… its 4v4 thats ultra competitive slayer and 2 people on your team just quit… That’s fun).
> - Warzone is great but c’mon. There needed to be at least 2 more maps available at launch (and battle of Noctus is TERRIBLE).
> - BTB maps are shameful and 343i should issue a formal apology for having the audacity to launch such subpar graphics with the first new Halo title on the Xbox One platform.
> I have been supportive of 343i until now (yes, even through that horrendous spectacle known as the Master Chief Collection). Its simple, they have been granted a “three strike policy” and have officially struck out. 1). Halo 4’s MP. 2). The MCC. and now 3). Halo 5’s campaign.
>
> Microsoft should not allow 343i to continue development on Halo 6 or any future Halo related titles. It’s time for Halo to be farmed out to a third party who must create a great game in order to be successful/stay in operation. 343i’s is funded by Microsoft and does not require massive amounts of revenue to be generated in order for their entity to stay in business. I believe this allows 343i to be complacent and as a direct result, we are left broken games like the MCC and half games like Halo 4 (campaign good, but MP not so much) and Halo 5 (MP good but campaign straight up terrible).

I don’t know if it would be possible to disagree with you anymore than I already do. You waited 80 days to post of review full of the same crap every angry 30-something that frequents these forums has said a couple dozen times?? LOL
The game modes are coming, sorry you’re impatient and have to wait. This Halo has bunch of maps with more on the way, sorry again you have to wait. You have a point with the social playlists. You can join BTB matches that are underway. A couple more WZ maps wouldn’t hurt. And the BTB maps are fine, stop whining cause they used forge to make them. Who cares?

And oh yeah, one more thing. Split screen is crap! I know you had a great time in college drinking and playing, nut those days are gone and kids play online nowadays. I know all the die-hard purists here gonna kill me for that opinion, but it’s true. If SS was a widely used or a popular as you seem to think it would be part of the game. But thankfully they decided that 1080/60 was more important.

Greta game but alot of problems still

> 2535441488042067;1:
> Halo 5 Guardians: 3/10

After I read this^ I knew I had already read all I needed to read because I didn’t care to read rehashed hate on a game I think is pretty F’n awesome.

Tip: you should put your rating at the end of your review and within a spoiler in order to better direct attention to the actual review.

Bronze scrub complaining about match making, nothing to see here.

> 2533274823809616;18:
> Bronze scrub complaining about match making, nothing to see here.

Rank has nothing to do with that.

HE has valid complaint’s about the game and the lack of content, it is liek me saying Oh look (Starting Forum Rank - Recruit Iron) opinions invalid lel!

Getting bronze rank is almost more impressive then onyx. I mean seriously, how bad do you have to do to get bronze? lol