8 Things Halo 4 needs to fix to be great

Halo 4 has a great foundation, but there are a few tweaks and changes that I think need to be made to make the game the best experience possible. I would love to hear your feedback on these, agree or disagree, with constructive arguments please.

1.) Grenades. I think grenades are the most underwhelming facet of Halo 4. They have a very small radius, you cannot pick them up off corpses (without a perk), and they are simply not a core element to Halo 4’s gameplay. As far as I’m concerned, Halo CE was the pioneer of smart, usable grenades in console FPS’s. They were the most strategic tool in the game, and you could always tell a good Halo player from a great Halo player by their use of grenades.

If I remember correctly, Halo 2 initially had very weak grenades, but they later patched in decently powerful grenades in the major patch to that game (RIP Halo 2 Dual Magnums, still the best weapons ever [prepatch]). Halo 3 and Reach had decent grenades, but for some reason Halo 4’s grenades have been neutered. This is especially evident on certain Halo 4 maps that promote camping (Adrift, in my experience), where it can be extremely difficult to flush people out of cover, even if you know exactly where they are camping. This is all talking about frag grenades, of course. Plasma grenades seem to be only useful against vehicles and pulse grenades appear to be almost totally useless. The Halo 4 grenades need a buff, a much larger explosion radius and possibly more damage.

2.) Unsatisfying Medium-Long Distance battles. I think weapons kill a little too quickly in Halo 4 from medium and long distance. While I like that the assault rifle has been buffed to be almost usable in close combat situations, the precision weapons do not allow for a ton of interesting gameplay. The DMR and battle rifle in particular are extremely potent weapons. It has become extremely important to get the first shot in, as it’s very difficult to lose a 1-shot or half-shot advantage in all but the closest quarter fights (yes, it’s harder to miss at short range than long range.) I think the decision to not unzoom you when you are hit is a questionable one, and though it is not the sole reason for unsatisfyingly easy long-range battles, it is exacerbated by the inherent power of the DMR. The Reach DMR was balanced by the horrific bloom, but Halo 4’s DMR has no such restrictions.

I think the solution is to put back in the forced unscoping when you are hit that has been in every Halo game ever. I understand the CoD players probably prefer to stay zoomed, but CoD is a totally different game where you usually don’t get to fire back, you just die immediately. Halo needs interesting medium-long range battles, and not unscoping when you get hit only provides one type of fight: Whoever hits 5 shots first wins. There’s no grenade play, no decision of whether to zoom back in or just noscope, no thought of your surroundings to take cover. Instead, you just jam the right trigger and hope the other guy dies first. Also, the headshot hitbox is gigantic. Headshots in Halo 4 are more prevalent than body shots, which leads to even more boring, quick battles. Also Bullet Magnetism in this game is absurd and needs to be toned down, see this thread: https://forums.halowaypoint.com/yaf_postst160742_Halo-4---Where-everyone-can-kill---UPDATED-2.aspx

3.) Imbalanced teams. It is extremely difficult for me to understand why the system allows games to start with an imbalanced number of players. Playing 4v5 on Capture the flag is not only quite hard, but not any fun. I can understand when big team battle is 8v7, but 3v4 and 4v5 is too big of a gap. The fact that the system will actually start games with this imbalance is infuriating.

4.) The Warthog. I don’t understand why the warthog cannot be given a reasonable place in Halo. Halo Reach’s hog was horrible, and so is Halo 4’s. It does reasonable vehicle-to-vehicle damage, but it’s damage to players is abysmal. When you are better off getting out of the hog to shoot someone with a dmr from close range, something is wrong. I understand that getting reamed by a warthog all game is not fun, but isn’t that what the cumulative vehicle damage model was designed to combat? If 3 people shoot the warthog, it’s not going to kill you more than a couple times without exploding. Please do not relegate the warthog to an easier to shoot mongoose. Increase the turret damage.

5.) Ordnances. Ordnances are too random for any kind of competitive game. They are even more imbalancing than CoD killstreaks, which are at least consistent and harder to get. It is extremely annoying when luck favors the other team and they spawn 4 sniper rifles at the 5 minute mark. If weapon spawns are put back in (see below), they need to be severely tweaked. Halo can take another page from CoD and let us choose our ordnance drops (loadout style), or they should gradually ramp up in power, rather than randomness. If someone gets 30 kills in a game, I don’t mind if they get a sniper or a rocket launcher, they probably deserve it. Randomness needs to be toned down.

6.) Weapons Spawns (or lack thereof). I think the decision to remove regularly spawning weapons (both power weapons and random nonpower weapons on the ground) is the largest mistake Halo has made in its effort to attract more mainstream CoD audiences. Halo typically had two main ways to win a game: control the power positions on the map (where you can shoot a lot of people), and control the power weapons. This meant you could not stay at the top of the level all the time, because eventually the sniper/rockets were going to spawn, and your camping ways would soon come to an explosive or headless end. But now, there is very little incentive not to camp. Instead of two objectives, now all you have to do is control the power positions on the map. This leads to stale, camp-heavy gameplay, as half of the maps go unused.

7.) Ranked playlists Due to the character limit, I can’t go into this in depth, but Halo needs a viable competitive option. This Thread provides an excellent synopsis and discussion.

8.) Death Xs. In most previous Halo games, there would be a big red X on the map for a few seconds after you died. This would allow you to call out where people were in comparison to your X (ie. 1 shot on my X). Now, all you get is a radar indicator, which is grossly insufficient. The red Xs when teammates die need to be added in.

For the record, I am a long-time Halo fan who wants Halo 4 to be the best it can be. I played countless hours of Halo 1 system link, over 10,000 Halo 2 games, and thousands of Halo 3 and Reach games. I reached level 50 in Halo 3, and was Onyx in every Halo Reach season I participated in. I have also played CoD Black Ops to prestige 15, so I’m not aimlessly bashing Halo for being too “CoDified”, as I thoroughly enjoy those games also.

I’m sure I will add more to this list as I find more ways that Halo 4 can be improved, I’d love to hear what you think about any or all of my suggestions. Thank you for reading. If you agree with some or most of these points, please bump this thread. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

1.) Grenades. I think grenades are the most underwhelming facet of Halo 4. They have a very small radius, you cannot pick them up off corpses (without a perk), and they are simply not a core element to Halo 4’s gameplay. As far as I’m concerned, Halo CE was the pioneer of smart, usable grenades in console FPS’s. They were the most strategic tool in the game, and you could always tell a good Halo player from a great Halo player by their use of grenades.
If I remember correctly, Halo 2 initially had very weak grenades, but they later patched in decently powerful grenades in the major patch to that game (RIP Halo 2 Dual Magnums, still the best weapons ever [prepatch]). Halo 3 and Reach had decent grenades, but for some reason Halo 4’s grenades have been neutered. This is especially evident on certain Halo 4 maps that promote camping (Adrift, in my experience), where it can be extremely difficult to flush people out of cover, even if you know exactly where they are camping. This is all talking about frag grenades, of course. Plasma grenades seem to be only useful against vehicles and pulse grenades appear to be almost totally useless. The Halo 4 grenades need a buff, a much larger explosion radius and possibly more damage.

I disagree. I think grenades are pretty powerful. In fact I would say they are OP if you could pick them up from dead people.

2.) Kill speed. I think weapons kill a little too quickly in Halo 4. While I like that the assault rifle has been buffed to be almost usable in close combat situations, the precision weapons do not allow for a ton of interesting gameplay. The DMR and battle rifle in particular are extremely potent weapons. It has become extremely important to get the first shot in, as it’s very difficult to lose a 1-shot or half-shot advantage in all but the closest quarter fights (yes, it’s harder to miss at long range than short range.) I think the decision to not unzoom you when you are hit is a questionable one, and though it is not the sole reason for unsatisfyingly easy long-range battles, it is exacerbated by the inherent power of the DMR. The Reach DMR was balanced by the horrific bloom, but Halo 4’s DMR has no such restrictions.
I think the DMR and the battle rifle need to shoot just a tad slower. I think a little slower firing speed would bring about more satisfying battles, rather than swat/cod style firefights that seem to be prevalent in Halo 4. Now, I know swat and cod are both enjoyable, but their skill cap is very low. Maybe mainstream high skill-cap games are a thing of the past, but I would love to see it raised a little bit in Halo 4. In short, the firing speed of the dmr/br needs to be lessened, or the autoaim in long-distance fights needs to be lowered. As it stands, it’s quite hard to miss someone from medium range.

I agree. I think it needs to slow down a little. However I think a lot of it can be fixed by un-zooming people when you hit them. This will give you a fighting chance if someone hits you first.
I disagree about swat being low skill. IMO its one of the most skill based gametypes.

3.) Imbalanced teams. It is extremely difficult for me to understand why the system allows games to start with an imbalanced number of players. Playing 4v5 on Capture the flag is not only quite hard, but not any fun. I can understand when big team battle is 8v7, but 3v4 and 4v5 is too big of a gap. The fact that the system will actually start games with this imbalance is infuriating.

I once got 2v4 in Oddball. It was not fun.

7.) Team Snipers. Team snipers has always been one of my personal favorite gametypes. Please bring it back =)

I agree.

8.) Big Team Objective. Big team slayer is nice, big team objective games are also nice. Can’t we have both? Either split the playlist or just tack some objective games onto Big Team Battle.

I agree with this too. I think it should just be added to the BTB playlist.

I agree with most of this, especially the rifles, kill times and grenades :confused:

+1000000 to this big time

There has has been so many times where im down 1 - 2 shots and i back down. My Opponent chases me and i throw a grenade(Plasma) to even it out and they just dont get damaged. This is very frustrating and it affects the way i play the game.

i agree op. ps does anyone know what playlist ( impact ) is on ? and why cant we just chose what map we play on. this has always been a game breaker for me ie halo 3 some of the best maps ever made most of which you never played. i fear halo 4 is going this way nearly always the same three maps. i want so bad for this game to succeed, its my hobby.

> i agree op. ps does anyone know what playlist ( impact ) is on ? and why cant we just chose what map we play on. this has always been a game breaker for me ie halo 3 some of the best maps ever made most of which you never played. i fear halo 4 is going this way nearly always the same three maps. i want so bad for this game to succeed, its my hobby.

Well you do get to vote, though it is a little annoying when everyone votes for Ragnarok every time ^^

Needs more ammo in campaign. You run out incredibly fast, faster than Halo 3 and Reach.

AR going from 224 spare rounds to 320-352 for example.

Love this list. It attends all my gripes. Though I still have a few left, these are fixable. Let’s put this to 343’s attention. Somehow…

Are you reading this 343?.

Shameless bump!

> Needs more ammo in campaign. You run out incredibly fast, faster than Halo 3 and Reach.
>
> AR going from 224 spare rounds to 320-352 for example.

This is quite a valid point, though you can argue that part of the challenge is scrounging less than ideal weapons off the battleground. It is unfortunate when you have only short-range weapons to kill several long-distance enemies though.

1.) Grenades. There is a perk to make the radius bigger, but people moaned in Reach the were OP now there under Balance is hard

2.) Kill speed. Again people moaned they were to long now it to quick, I think its better makes the game run faster.

3.) Imbalanced teams. I agree with this same for FFA why put you in a game that’s been running for sometime.

4.) The Warthog. I Agree with this I jumped in and at first could see my sight.

5.) Ordinances. Again I agree with this.

7.) Team Snipers. Give them time Swat and Grifball will come back, also these maps will be great for Snipers.

> Love this list. It attends all my gripes. Though I still have a few left, these are fixable. Let’s put this to 343’s attention. Somehow…

I would like to hear your other gripes so we can discuss them.

I love halo 4. Its probably one of the best (or at least most fun) games i’ver ever played. I’ve gotten quite a few kills with grenades, more than a few actually, i’d say i get two or three per game now that i think about it, even more impressive considering there’s now a grenade indicator.

I like the randomized ordinance drops, getting a few crappy ordinance drops keeps the game in balance, everyone would have a sniper about three minutes into the game if they got to choose their own.

I don’t use vehicles I just enjoy smearing the noobs that do so I don’t have an opinion on the warthog.

Kill speed seems good to me. there’s enough times when people can get away from me when they’re about to die and vice versa so it still have a good balance.

Promethean vision is the greatest camper killer ever if you don’t use it then you’re asking people to camp.

The one gun I do feel is over powered is the needler, takes no skill to use and is a guaranteed kill even if the other person kills you first, as long as you get the needles out of the gun with some kind of ok targeting, you’ll get kill from the grave.

I love the balance, maps and pace of halo 4, In my not so humble opinion (cuz i’m awesome) its the best halo game ever made.

Splatters are weird as well, it seems like the slightest touch from a moving vehicle results in a splatter. It’s like Halo 1 again.

> The one gun I do feel is over powered is the needler, takes no skill to use and is a guaranteed kill even if the other person kills you first, as long as you get the needles out of the gun with some kind of ok targeting, you’ll get kill from the grave.

I’m totally fine with the needler killing quickly, considering it’s only good from a very defined range, and that it’s also considered a “power” weapon in this game (get it from ordinances)

> Splatters are weird as well, it seems like the slightest touch from a moving vehicle results in a splatter. It’s like Halo 1 again.

I haven’t noticed this with ghosts, though it seems like other vehicles splatter decently.

> Shameless bump!

Thanks, guess I’ll try one

1. Staying in scope when getting shot???(WTF!Utter BS! Take it out!!!)

2. The kill feed is sooo boring, Just says who KILLED who. Needs to say who sniped who, etc. Mix it up

3. Good Connection option/local search. What were you thinking taking this out?!?!?

4. Add old favourite playlist like Team Doubles,Team Snipers and Lone Wolves( Regicide is a complete joke)

5. Join in progress is a joke also( People join the game and take host from others which makes everyone black screen constantly)

6. Perfection medal, why in the world did you take it out?

7. War games lobby looks stupid, at least let us be able to customize the layout of our lobby(h3 version mixed with h4 colours and schemes would be godly)

8. Lastly, Add Ranked and Social playlists, 1-50 visible in game would make my life, Even if you leave the other 7 and add this one ill kiss my own toes

> 2. The kill feed is sooo boring, Just says who KILLED who. Needs to say who sniped who, etc. Mix it up

I agree the kill feed is underwhelming, it was always valuable to know whether someone got sniped or beat down, especially in team snipers. Reminds me to add another issue, the lack of Xs on death.