6 min locust are pushing me away.

I truly not to rush with brutes because I don’t feel I gain anything moral wise or fun wise. Rushing isn’t even fun. But the last few games I’ve played have all been the same tactic. Locust at 6 mins. How is that even fun? Even when I had all the power nodes, I get 7 locust at my door killing me. Obscene. It’s one rush after another. I’m fine with taking a loss. A loss that someone should EARN. A win is a win I get it, but how do you even enjoy that?

Winning is the reward for competitive games. Devising an optimal strategy/build and executing it with the goal of winning that game.

There are still people complaining about locusts, which I think is a little unfair - they have significantly reduced movespeed compared to the previous patch and so air or even infantry can now easily outrun them. Seeing as air and cyclops/hunters very easily deal with them they are balanced. Their strength lies in out positioning your opponent, taking advantage of high-ground and their long range. However, if you get on top of these units they melt, in addition, they are weak against all unit types (only strong vs building). So provided you have scouted well and you have vision they should never get to your base without first meeting your units which should mean you win that fight as your opponent has spent a significant amount of resources and population on units which don’t easily deal with other units. Of course if you allow your units to be kited the locusts can be a pain because of their long range. To deal with it, I would generally recommend just committing to the fight and using leader powers rather than having fringe battles where the locusts can be effective from range.

Shipmaster teleporting his locusts onto your base is another matter however and total map control in those games is really important unless your team also has a shipmaster to displace enemy forces.

By 6 minutes you should be able to be producing cyclops/hunters, as the above poster has said make sure that your army whatever it is at the time is there to meet them. Even if it is to stall them while you build up the counters you need, also try a watchtower on your base, although rn it isn’t working as intended you gain a good boost to vision and it also lets you drop leader powers as they approach you.

With the power nodes remember that you get a little cone of vision and more times than not people will forget about it, so use that to gauge the time you have and what you need to be building.

To cut a long post short, scouting is key. Doesn’t always have to be with an actual scout, but the concept still applies. Information is a winner my friend :slight_smile:

You need scouting, every time the enemy base and mini bases(2:10 and 3:30 you see what enemy think)). If you see veicles pad, spam Hornets and cyclops and make one Second main base. If you did stop the enemy rush, set the rally points in enemy base and make one attack. PS: upgrade the Speed of make units to 30% more fast, its Very important.

If they have Locusts at the 6 minute mark you should be easily able to see that. Look for the ridiculous amounts of generators and foundries. That’ll tip you off.

I’m on so many locust threads right now…

When players say “the locusts are not that strong” I wonder if we’re playing the same game. I feel you. They are really strong, really easy to push early, take out bases crazy quick, and can kite maybe too quickly.
That all said, it is an element of the game. Find your counter. I’m still finding mine. For me, going air and hitting hard with leader powers is my best counter to locusts. I like Banished, and hunters just can’t keep up with locust speed and range. if you can trap them, great. But, a good microplayer will be hard to trap.
Definitely scout. Always scout. Send some early troops to harass them and see what they defend with. If you see a locust, get to work FAST. It’s the same with sentinels. When I see one I stop everything and get my counters out.

For me, that’s worked for 1v1. My issue has been stopping locust spams in 2v2 or 3v3. It’s fun to counter a locust spam, but if you’re getting hit by two, or one and then some other rush aimed to counter your locust counter, then you’re done.

I feel you though. I don’t like rushes or spams, but it’s how the games go. They can’t all be long, epic, beautiful games.

I will say! NOTHING is more fun than stopping a rush and then destroying your opponent because they didn’t have a backup plan.

> 2533274893671079;1:
> I truly not to rush with brutes because I don’t feel I gain anything moral wise or fun wise. Rushing isn’t even fun. But the last few games I’ve played have all been the same tactic. Locust at 6 mins. How is that even fun? Even when I had all the power nodes, I get 7 locust at my door killing me. Obscene. It’s one rush after another. I’m fine with taking a loss. A loss that someone should EARN. A win is a win I get it, but how do you even enjoy that?

Different people have fun different ways and people of higher skill usually rush. You could turtle and defend your base and push the rush off then counter push then continue the game as other high levels do against rushes.

I don’t ever have a problem with these locusts… In fact I hardly even use them unless I know I’m going to be sieging. They absolutely melt to leader powers. Just have a leader power ready for them.

Can’t stress the importance of constant scouting. If you scouted him you would have prepared with some anti-vehicle turrets and units to stop the rush while you build for a bigger army.

> 2533274893671079;1:
> I truly not to rush with brutes because I don’t feel I gain anything moral wise or fun wise. Rushing isn’t even fun. But the last few games I’ve played have all been the same tactic. Locust at 6 mins. How is that even fun? Even when I had all the power nodes, I get 7 locust at my door killing me. Obscene. It’s one rush after another. I’m fine with taking a loss. A loss that someone should EARN. A win is a win I get it, but how do you even enjoy that?

Counter it.

Scout if you see they’re teching up then expand, throw a watchtower in your base.

Easy.

> 2533274893671079;1:
> I truly not to rush with brutes because I don’t feel I gain anything moral wise or fun wise. Rushing isn’t even fun. But the last few games I’ve played have all been the same tactic. Locust at 6 mins. How is that even fun? Even when I had all the power nodes, I get 7 locust at my door killing me. Obscene. It’s one rush after another. I’m fine with taking a loss. A loss that someone should EARN. A win is a win I get it, but how do you even enjoy that?

I actually read this post this morning and wasn’t going to respond to it, but the post got me thinking, “I have never run into this once and I have 503 multiplayer games played.” Have I run into locust balls? Yes
Have I lost because Locusts swarmed and killed my base? Yes
Have I been attacked and lost to locusts at the 6 minute mark? Never

The reason is I would never allow it. I scout bases constantly. I take nodes. Most importantly I have some sort of army up well before 6 minutes. I also have attacked his base (at least checked to see buildings and whether or not he has turrets) well before 6 minutes ESPECIALLY if I have not seen any of his units around. If he doesn’t have units and isn’t expanding I will expand and take map control, sometimes building a base right next to his. In this scenario it is almost impossible for him to build his locusts (I at least force him to build multiple turrets) and get them to my main without me seeing.

I am not saying I haven’t been caught with my pants down attacking their base as a squad of locusts decimated my main late in the game, I have. I have never lost to locusts in 6 minutes though.

The bigger problem here is how you approach the game. Six minutes is not a rush. Six minutes is well into the game. Unfortunately, a lot of people in RTS don’t understand how to play them properly competitively. RTSs are a lot about timing and if your opponent is early teching to tier two and getting out locusts your time to attack was at about the 330 mark, probably earlier. Try to think of the game as a progression at first.

I always ask people who are anti-rushing in general though, “What time am I allowed to attack you and it is not considered a rush?” You say that 6 minutes Locusts at your base is a rush, so at what point in the game would it be okay for him to attack you?

As for fun I find this game a great amount of fun. The games that I have the most fun with are when I am constantly battling back and forth with my opponent for throughout the entire game. Many people think that rushes always end in quick games, but if you get two skilled opponents agaisnt each other, both of whom can rush and defend against it, you quite often get long matches with massive T3 armies etc. You just have to figure out the early game in order to do that.

> 2533274893671079;1:
> I truly not to rush with brutes because I don’t feel I gain anything moral wise or fun wise. Rushing isn’t even fun. But the last few games I’ve played have all been the same tactic. Locust at 6 mins. How is that even fun? Even when I had all the power nodes, I get 7 locust at my door killing me. Obscene. It’s one rush after another. I’m fine with taking a loss. A loss that someone should EARN. A win is a win I get it, but how do you even enjoy that?

Get gauss out. Gauss > Locust

Ok I understand locust rush, but if its after Early game and a red portal appears behind your base with my locust swarm destroying your base! THAT’S called fun! hahaha!

> 2533274893671079;1:
> I truly not to rush with brutes because I don’t feel I gain anything moral wise or fun wise. Rushing isn’t even fun. But the last few games I’ve played have all been the same tactic. Locust at 6 mins. How is that even fun? Even when I had all the power nodes, I get 7 locust at my door killing me. Obscene. It’s one rush after another. I’m fine with taking a loss. A loss that someone should EARN. A win is a win I get it, but how do you even enjoy that?

the salt is real

I find a lot of Cyclops cut through locusts like butter. Keep moving, dont stand still and get behind them with leader powers.

> 2535422957995460;14:
> > 2533274893671079;1:
> > I truly not to rush with brutes because I don’t feel I gain anything moral wise or fun wise. Rushing isn’t even fun. But the last few games I’ve played have all been the same tactic. Locust at 6 mins. How is that even fun? Even when I had all the power nodes, I get 7 locust at my door killing me. Obscene. It’s one rush after another. I’m fine with taking a loss. A loss that someone should EARN. A win is a win I get it, but how do you even enjoy that?
>
> the salt is real

How is he salty? Because he doesn’t like being attacked the same way almost every game?

> 2533274830166194;16:
> > 2535422957995460;14:
> > > 2533274893671079;1:
> > > I truly not to rush with brutes because I don’t feel I gain anything moral wise or fun wise. Rushing isn’t even fun. But the last few games I’ve played have all been the same tactic. Locust at 6 mins. How is that even fun? Even when I had all the power nodes, I get 7 locust at my door killing me. Obscene. It’s one rush after another. I’m fine with taking a loss. A loss that someone should EARN. A win is a win I get it, but how do you even enjoy that?
> >
> > the salt is real
>
> How is he salty? Because he doesn’t like being attacked the same way almost every game?

he shouldn’t be playing human players, plain&simple.

> 2535422957995460;17:
> > 2533274830166194;16:
> > > 2535422957995460;14:
> > > > 2533274893671079;1:
> > > > I truly not to rush with brutes because I don’t feel I gain anything moral wise or fun wise. Rushing isn’t even fun. But the last few games I’ve played have all been the same tactic. Locust at 6 mins. How is that even fun? Even when I had all the power nodes, I get 7 locust at my door killing me. Obscene. It’s one rush after another. I’m fine with taking a loss. A loss that someone should EARN. A win is a win I get it, but how do you even enjoy that?
> > >
> > > the salt is real
> >
> > How is he salty? Because he doesn’t like being attacked the same way almost every game?
>
> he shouldn’t be playing human players, plain&simple.

…people can play with whoever they want… we shouldn’t have to worry about almost every player going with the latest trend instead of actually coming up with their own strategy

> 2533274830166194;18:
> > 2535422957995460;17:
> > > 2533274830166194;16:
> > > > 2535422957995460;14:
> > > > > 2533274893671079;1:
> > > > > I truly not to rush with brutes because I don’t feel I gain anything moral wise or fun wise. Rushing isn’t even fun. But the last few games I’ve played have all been the same tactic. Locust at 6 mins. How is that even fun? Even when I had all the power nodes, I get 7 locust at my door killing me. Obscene. It’s one rush after another. I’m fine with taking a loss. A loss that someone should EARN. A win is a win I get it, but how do you even enjoy that?
> > > >
> > > > the salt is real
> > >
> > > How is he salty? Because he doesn’t like being attacked the same way almost every game?
> >
> > he shouldn’t be playing human players, plain&simple.
>
> …people can play with whoever they want… we shouldn’t have to worry about almost every player going with the latest trend instead of actually coming up with their own strategy

Then expect tier1 aggression. People follow winners, winners lead losers\unoriginals, everyone skips tier1 and pays for it… create some tier1 builds, tier2/3 obviously aren’t always the answer… obviously.

> 2533275013567761;13:
> Ok I understand locust rush, but if its after Early game and a red portal appears behind your base with my locust swarm destroying your base! THAT’S called fun! hahaha!

It’s called strategy.