6 games in...

Having played every Halo game in its respective time, my initial take is that this is the least enjoyable Halo experience I’ve ever had.
Halo 2 was by far my favorite and the one I played the most, but I also really enjoyed Halo 3 multiplayer, and to a somewhat lesser extent, Halo 4. Halo Reach was my least favorite to play (before this one, currently).

Some specifics:
Weapons - Everything feels ‘off’’ with the exception of the battle rifle. The assault rifle is way too strong for a spread-fire weapon with too good range, the sniper ‘feels’ slower, the DMR feels overpowered, the pistol seems like it wants to be relevant again, but isn’t strong enough (like it was in Halo 1) to compete with the newly strong AR or BR from mid range, so it is essentially worthless if you spawn with an AR and pistol.
Controller Settings - The default settings have been ‘CODified’ to accommodate for the booster pack, and while I may enjoy COD, I DO NOT play Halo to simulate COD. I am very disappointed by how the gameplay feels in terms of the way I manipulate the controller
Maps - The maps seem ‘meh’ to me, but with the new movement mechanics and the ability to sprint/dodge more evasively than ever before, I feel the maps are too chaotic and provide far too few shooting lanes.
Gameplay - The shooting in this game seems pretty good to me. I do like the feel of lining up shots when available both zoomed in and not. I could do without the booster pack mechanic, but I am already finding some interesting ways to utilize them in combat which could be pretty cool (boosting behind someone about to assassinate you so you can assassinate them, etc.) So I’ll learn to live with these new elements to game play. I’ve never once found it ‘useful’ to do a ground pound, so not sure what is going to come of that ability. The spartan charge, however, I have used several times already and find it is both balanced yet useful.

Overall, I’m simply finding it difficult to believe this is a game I would ever want to purchase, ESPECIALLY given the fact that my confidence in 343i as a developer has dropped significantly following MCC. I got sick of the COD games after they began to feel boring, repetitive, and gimmicky, and I’m not finding it enjoyable seeing these common elements being adopted in a Halo game. And again, I can’t emphasize enough the fact that I really did thoroughly enjoy Halo 4. I didn’t play it nearly as much as the earlier Halos, but when it was released, I was very happy with the ‘balance’ it had between original halo mechanics and integrating futuristic elements of other successful FPS franchises.

I just don’t believe this game has found that balance, and am convinced 343i will do whatever it can to make this game feel as COD-like as possible. I’d give this game a 2/5.

Disagree, weapons balance is perfect IMO, as is the kill time and dash etc it balances out. 343 really nailed this.
As for CoDified controls what are you on about, is this even a valid complaint?! Or are you trolling? There are all previous control schemes, Bumper jumper, Southpaw, Halo 4, Recon (my MCC scheme, now using Fishsticks :D)

Not sure I fully understand you CoD argument.
I give this post a 3/8, you raised some generic CoD points and to spruce things up made me almost report you for trolling. GG
Other than that, seems legit.

Good post!, i think all this could be avioded if sprint was taken out, that would make it feel unlike other games and keep a long lifespan.

> 2533274909886232;2:
> Disagree, weapons balance is perfect IMO, as is the kill time and dash etc it balances out. 343 really nailed this.
> As for CoDified controls what are you on about, is this even a valid complaint?! Or are you trolling? There are all previous control schemes, Bumper jumper, Southpaw, Halo 4, Recon (my MCC scheme, now using Fishsticks :D)
>
> Not sure I fully understand you CoD argument.
> I give this post a 3/8, you raised some generic CoD points and to spruce things up made me almost report you for trolling. GG
> Other than that, seems legit.

How old are you, 7?
Anyways…
“CoDified controls”
Check the default controller layout for this beta. Left trigger for zoom. Name 1 halo game that EVER had this set as the default zoom button. I’ll answer for you. NONE.

Bumper Jumper Left Trigger (LT): Grenades
Southpaw LT: Fire Weapon
Halo 4 LT: Throw Grenade
Recon LT: Use Grenades

In MCC, they added “Universal Zoom and Shoot”, which never before existed in a halo game. This is a completely CODified move by 343i, and illustrates their desire to attract that fanbase. Making ‘Universal zoom and shoot’ the default controller setting in H5 beta IS CODIFING HALO.

“Weapons are balanced…”
The BR and DMR absolutely dominate this beta. When I have had them on my person, I wreak havoc. When I spawn with the AR, and face those with the BR and DMR, I get demolished. This is supposed to be an element of map control, but they also wanted to induce overall game balance by boosting the AR and testing it out this week by having everyone spawn with an AR and a pistol. I’ve found zero use for the pistol in-game, and while against other people with AR’s you can do a stupid amount of damage from way too far away with them, it is still essentially useless against BR/DMR.

Add something constructive to the conversation, or don’t bother posting.

> 2533274883210431;3:
> Good post!, i think all this could be avioded if sprint was taken out, that would make it feel unlike other games and keep a long lifespan.

I do like how they tried to balance sprint by making it so your shields do not recharge while using it. I’ve actually found the spring is fairly well balanced, I can learn to live with the new movement mechanics.