5 tips for struggling Platnium players in Halo 5

A lot of us hit a plateau in Halo where we hit wall and can’t seem to do well. Usually it’s because you are facing better people. This discourages many players because:
A) they are used to stomping lower skilled players with little effort
B) they refuse to try to get better themselves
C) all of the above

Here’s 5 ways I found that helped me improve my skill in Halo 5 when I was platinum striving for diamond:

  1. play every playlist. Each playlist will teach you something different. FFA will teach you how to be opportunist, take on multiple opponents, and importance on being efficient. Team slayer will teach you map control and team work. SWAT will improve reaction speed and aiming accuracy. All these put together, and you’ll be very dangerous.

  2. learn how to use every weapon. There’s going to be a time where you’ll be forced to use a weapon that you hate to use because you are bad with it. Instead of going past it and possibly letting the other team get it, learn how to use it. Play a custom game against someone only using that weapon until you get a feel for it. If you’re good with every weapon from a sniper rifle to a bolt shot, you’ll always be a threat.

  3. watch your replays. Not to see how well you did, but to see where you went wrong. You won’t learn by watching highlights. Don’t focus only on what you did, but what you didn’t do, and should have done. If you see these mistakes again and again, there’s a good chance that’s the reason why you may be struggling.

  4. learn every call out. call outs are there to help you, don’t brush them off as just background noise. If you know all the call outs, you don’t even need to look for the enemy, you know where they are and their status. hop into a custom game and just walk through the map keeping in mind each call out so next time you play you know exactly what to say and what others are saying.

  5. play with and against people better than you. It’ll only make you improve because you’ll be forced to improve if you want to just break even. And if your teammates are better than you, instead of riding their coattails, see what they are doing right and ask for constant feedback. I’m sure they want to win and if they help you, their chances of winning will increase.

These are not over the weekend fixes. For me, it took around 2 months before I thought I was half-way decent for a diamond. Everyone’s learning curve is different though, but the result will be the same.

I’m a platinum 1-2 level player go look at my history over the last 4 months. But I am severely limited by matchmaking. It is common for me to get matched with lower ranking players on my team yet the other team will have higher ranking players. Yeah, yeah, Some will say “Go find you a team to play with!” . I say to that I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR 2 MONTHS AND NOBODY RESPONDS TO MY POSTS ON THIS SITE Or I get a partial response with no followup when I respond. There have been 2 occasions in the last month where i got matched with some good teammates and we were all communicating effectively and winning. Guess what happens, end of match we get- “Retrieving data” message and I lose their IDs so I’m unable to add them as friends . there is a match on my history right now for Skirmish on Darkstar where the data is not there. Go click on it. We lost, but I liked my team as we were communicating. I was going to add them as friends. Now of course I can’t. It is not easy to find adult players that play on Saturday afternoons that are decent and talk. Its infuriating with people act like its just so easy to just post and you will somehow get all kinds of requests. It simply not accurate. As of now I’m at the fate of matchmaking and I don’t see it changing any time soon. Give me platinum level players that work as a team and I will do well and advance, Otherwise it ain’t happening.

> Some will say “Go find you a team to play with!” . I say to that I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR 2 MONTHS AND NOBODY RESPONDS TO MY POSTS ON THIS SITE Or I get a partial response with no followup when I respond.

add me.
I play with some ppl on these boards.
I have a mic too.

> 2533274913126156;3:
> > Some will say “Go find you a team to play with!” . I say to that I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR 2 MONTHS AND NOBODY RESPONDS TO MY POSTS ON THIS SITE Or I get a partial response with no followup when I respond.
>
>
> add me.
> I play with some ppl on these boards.
> I have a mic too.

cool. Will do. Thanks.

> 2533274825101441;4:
> > 2533274913126156;3:
> > >
>
>
> cool. Will do. Thanks.

just sent you a friend request.
I play Arena (currently platinum), slayer (currently onyx), and SWAT (currently diamond)

I’ll play with you guys sometime… Hmu!

It is hard to rank up when the trash servers don’t work properly and my console keeps losing connection to the servers.

My typical problems with me not being able to get higher is 1 of 3 reasons;

  • Lag - Teammates who go 2-15 who cause us to lose - My tendency to suck after I get done playing DestinyCan’t really do much about my lagging, our internet sucks, not much I can do about that. I live in the middle of nowhere, so not many ISPs to choose from

Teammates cause us to lose, it happens. I’m not that guy who sends death threats because they caused us to lose. Getting into the diamond rank isn’t a lifeline to me, so if I can’t go on to Diamond 1 due to teammates, so be it. I’ll just try to be one of the best in Platinum 6.

I play quite a bit of Destiny, so when I hop onto Halo right after I get through with Destiny, I have to play a few games before I get my aiming back down. Until then, I may only be able to go 14-14 or 7-8 a game.

> 2533275007059966;8:
> My typical problems with me not being able to get higher is 1 of 3 reasons;
>
> - Lag
> - Teammates who go 2-15 who cause us to lose
> - My tendency to suck after I get done playing Destiny
> Can’t really do much about my lagging, our internet sucks, not much I can do about that. I live in the middle of nowhere, so not many ISPs to choose from
>
> Teammates cause us to lose, it happens. I’m not that guy who sends death threats because they caused us to lose. Getting into the diamond rank isn’t a lifeline to me, so if I can’t go on to Diamond 1 due to teammates, so be it. I’ll just try to be one of the best in Platinum 6.
>
> I play quite a bit of Destiny, so when I hop onto Halo right after I get through with Destiny, I have to play a few games before I get my aiming back down. Until then, I may only be able to go 14-14 or 7-8 a game.

Playing Destiny made me lazy with my aim. Headshots are a lot more important in Halo than Destiny. I forgot about that when I first started play H5. I did well in Destiny and COD without having to do headshots. Headshots are a must in H5. But i’m better now and getting better still.

The reasons you list are not the reason for a plateau at Plat. When you plateau at platinum it is because of the way the ranking system works. If you do well and win you are promoted to higher level matches with better players. You will keep rising until you meet an opponent that is simply “better” than you. It is not usually for the reasons you listed. Sure those help you become better, but at some point you just wont’ be good enough to continue unless 3 other high level players can carry you. It is the same in real world sports. Not everyone makes it to the NFL.

This issue bugs me because I’m tired of seeing these “Get Better! or Rank Up!” videos on youtube. That really only helps like a bronze player make it to gold. High Platinum and onward people generally know how to play Halo competitively. At these levels of Plat, Diamond, and Onyx it comes down to skill with a controller instead of the reasons you listed above. That list is for very low-level players. People shouldn’t be bashing their heads against a wall “trying to get better”. At some point you hit a ceiling, for better or for worse, thats how the ranking works.

> 2533274874023152;10:
> The reasons you list are not the reason for a plateau at Plat. When you plateau at platinum it is because of the way the ranking system works. If you do well and win you are promoted to higher level matches with better players. You will keep rising until you meet an opponent that is simply “better” than you. It is not usually for the reasons you listed. Sure those help you become better, but at some point you just wont’ be good enough to continue unless 3 other high level players can carry you. It is the same in real world sports. Not everyone makes it to the NFL.
>
> This issue bugs me because I’m tired of seeing these “Get Better! or Rank Up!” videos on youtube. That really only helps like a bronze player make it to gold. High Platinum and onward people generally know how to play Halo competitively. At these levels of Plat, Diamond, and Onyx it comes down to skill with a controller instead of the reasons you listed above. That list is for very low-level players. People shouldn’t be bashing their heads against a wall “trying to get better”. At some point you hit a ceiling, for better or for worse, thats how the ranking works.

This is the furthest thing from the truth. Top-tier players are the best because of their ability to work as a team and their knowledge of the game as it pertains to teamwork. In a game like Halo, individual skill can only take you so far. It’s important but it isn’t the most important thing. If you look at the stats of the pros and the stats of high onyx/champion players, you will see that their accuracies are similar. The human body is inherently limited in what it can pull off - especially when it comes to video games. Reaction times can only be so fast, accuracy can only be so high, etc.

What separates the men from the boys, if you will, is their depth of knowledge. How will your team’s locations effect the spawns of the enemy? Should you set up for a power weapon grab or a flag cap? Should you chase for that kill or let them go? The list of questions goes on and on, and will ultimately be dictated by the situation at hand. A good player will be able to translate that situation into a solution. A good one. See, most low and mid-tier players think that the game (or anything involving combat) can be broken down to a science. It can to some degree, but that kind of thinking should be avoided. Good players take each game and each situation differently. It’s flexibility of mind that wins, not a formula.

I’m not saying that your objectives on maps and gametypes won’t remain largely the same. They will. HOW you accomplish those goals is what varies so wildly. And the solutions to problems in high-level play almost never involve “Hey, go up there and out-BR that person.” Rarely is that the case. It’s always planning as a team.

Yeah, communicating is very important. Plus playing custom games vs better people has improved my gameplay, I also like to play a game or 2 in warzone before moving to arena.

> 2533274812650916;11:
> > 2533274874023152;10:
> > The reasons you list are not the reason for a plateau at Plat. When you plateau at platinum it is because of the way the ranking system works. If you do well and win you are promoted to higher level matches with better players. You will keep rising until you meet an opponent that is simply “better” than you. It is not usually for the reasons you listed. Sure those help you become better, but at some point you just wont’ be good enough to continue unless 3 other high level players can carry you. It is the same in real world sports. Not everyone makes it to the NFL.
> >
> > This issue bugs me because I’m tired of seeing these “Get Better! or Rank Up!” videos on youtube. That really only helps like a bronze player make it to gold. High Platinum and onward people generally know how to play Halo competitively. At these levels of Plat, Diamond, and Onyx it comes down to skill with a controller instead of the reasons you listed above. That list is for very low-level players. People shouldn’t be bashing their heads against a wall “trying to get better”. At some point you hit a ceiling, for better or for worse, thats how the ranking works.
>
>
> This is the furthest thing from the truth. Top-tier players are the best because of their ability to work as a team and their knowledge of the game as it pertains to teamwork. In a game like Halo, individual skill can only take you so far. It’s important but it isn’t the most important thing. If you look at the stats of the pros and the stats of high onyx/champion players, you will see that their accuracies are similar. The human body is inherently limited in what it can pull off - especially when it comes to video games. Reaction times can only be so fast, accuracy can only be so high, etc.
>
> What separates the men from the boys, if you will, is their depth of knowledge. How will your team’s locations effect the spawns of the enemy? Should you set up for a power weapon grab or a flag cap? Should you chase for that kill or let them go? The list of questions goes on and on, and will ultimately be dictated by the situation at hand. A good player will be able to translate that situation into a solution. A good one. See, most low and mid-tier players think that the game (or anything involving combat) can be broken down to a science. It can to some degree, but that kind of thinking should be avoided. Good players take each game and each situation differently. It’s flexibility of mind that wins, not a formula.
>
> I’m not saying that your objectives on maps and gametypes won’t remain largely the same. They will. HOW you accomplish those goals is what varies so wildly. And the solutions to problems in high-level play almost never involve “Hey, go up there and out-BR that person.” Rarely is that the case. It’s always planning as a team.

I agree with what you are saying about positioning, etc. because all of what you listed is crucial at high levels of play. But what I’m trying to get at is that at a certain level of high level ranked play most players have these elements locked down. My team of four could run the setups and routes and callouts just like a pro team, but at the end of the day we would lose to EG or CLG because they can execute those strategies much more effectively because of their pure skill. At least that is my opinion.

The OP made it seem like players would be missing these key elements and that fixing these missing pieces would break a plateau. I don’t agree with that. I mean if you look at the top team in Halo, CLG won because they can execute setups much better than any other team due to their raw slaying ability. In no way does that replace teamwork, but at high levels most people have or should have the callouts, weapon knowledge, powerups, setups, and the list goes on. I’m speaking from personal experience. Like I’ll never break past diamond with my current team because we just don’t have the raw slaying skill. We play as a unit, we communicate, we time powerups, but the way the system works is we can only go so far.

> 2533274812650916;11:
> > 2533274874023152;10:
> > The reasons you list are not the reason for a plateau at Plat. When you plateau at platinum it is because of the way the ranking system works. If you do well and win you are promoted to higher level matches with better players. You will keep rising until you meet an opponent that is simply “better” than you. It is not usually for the reasons you listed. Sure those help you become better, but at some point you just wont’ be good enough to continue unless 3 other high level players can carry you. It is the same in real world sports. Not everyone makes it to the NFL.
> >
> > This issue bugs me because I’m tired of seeing these “Get Better! or Rank Up!” videos on youtube. That really only helps like a bronze player make it to gold. High Platinum and onward people generally know how to play Halo competitively. At these levels of Plat, Diamond, and Onyx it comes down to skill with a controller instead of the reasons you listed above. That list is for very low-level players. People shouldn’t be bashing their heads against a wall “trying to get better”. At some point you hit a ceiling, for better or for worse, thats how the ranking works.
>
>
> This is the furthest thing from the truth. Top-tier players are the best because of their ability to work as a team and their knowledge of the game as it pertains to teamwork. In a game like Halo, individual skill can only take you so far. It’s important but it isn’t the most important thing. If you look at the stats of the pros and the stats of high onyx/champion players, you will see that their accuracies are similar. The human body is inherently limited in what it can pull off - especially when it comes to video games. Reaction times can only be so fast, accuracy can only be so high, etc.
>
> What separates the men from the boys, if you will, is their depth of knowledge. How will your team’s locations effect the spawns of the enemy? Should you set up for a power weapon grab or a flag cap? Should you chase for that kill or let them go? The list of questions goes on and on, and will ultimately be dictated by the situation at hand. A good player will be able to translate that situation into a solution. A good one. See, most low and mid-tier players think that the game (or anything involving combat) can be broken down to a science. It can to some degree, but that kind of thinking should be avoided. Good players take each game and each situation differently. It’s flexibility of mind that wins, not a formula.
>
> I’m not saying that your objectives on maps and gametypes won’t remain largely the same. They will. HOW you accomplish those goals is what varies so wildly. And the solutions to problems in high-level play almost never involve “Hey, go up there and out-BR that person.” Rarely is that the case. It’s always planning as a team.

This sums it up. A good number of platinum players are just as skilled on an individual level as diamond/onyx players. The above outlines where the gap comes from. Aim, reaction time and individual skill only take you so far. The better players put themselves in positions where they simply do not need to rely on these areas to beat an opponent.

> 2533274874023152;13:
> > 2533274812650916;11:
> > > 2533274874023152;10:
> > > The OP made it seem like players would be missing these key elements and that fixing these missing pieces would break a plateau. I don’t agree with that. I mean if you look at the top team in Halo, CLG won because they can execute setups much better than any other team due to their raw slaying ability. In no way does that replace teamwork, but at high levels most people have or should have the callouts, weapon knowledge, powerups, setups, and the list goes on. I’m speaking from personal experience. Like I’ll never break past diamond with my current team because we just don’t have the raw slaying skill. We play as a unit, we communicate, we time powerups, but the way the system works is we can only go so far.

I’m not talking about top teams in Halo. I’m talking about people around Platinum rank. Also, these are tips.
Tips are things to help people, not cure problems.

Halo 5 at non pro/champ levels is like 80% gunskill, and 20% decision-making/strategy. Aim & movement is pretty much everything.

> 2533274795193627;16:
> Halo 5 at non pro/champ levels is like 80% gunskill, and 20% decision-making/strategy. Aim & movement is pretty much everything.

I’m awful at “gunskill” with a 30% accuracy with my most used weapons, so I rely 80% on decision-making/strat and it’s been going well so far.

Accuracy % isn’t the only thing that determines gunskill.
If you can’t win your 1v1’s you won’t get very far…your teammates will have to carry/clean up for you… and that won’t happen unless they are extremely aware / good at communication. (which is pretty rare below onyx)

Breakout helps with where to go in a map.

> 2533274913126156;15:
> > 2533274874023152;13:
> > > 2533274812650916;11:
> > > > 2533274874023152;10:
> > > > The OP made it seem like players would be missing these key elements and that fixing these missing pieces would break a plateau. I don’t agree with that. I mean if you look at the top team in Halo, CLG won because they can execute setups much better than any other team due to their raw slaying ability. In no way does that replace teamwork, but at high levels most people have or should have the callouts, weapon knowledge, powerups, setups, and the list goes on. I’m speaking from personal experience. Like I’ll never break past diamond with my current team because we just don’t have the raw slaying skill. We play as a unit, we communicate, we time powerups, but the way the system works is we can only go so far.
>
>
> I’m not talking about top teams in Halo. I’m talking about people around Platinum rank. Also, these are tips.
> Tips are things to help people, not cure problems.

I was giving the extreme example to counter his position. Personally it still stands at the Plat level. Mid-plat and higher generally have these TIPS already down intuitively. You gave your tips man, and I gave my opinion on the matter. Not attacking you personally, but I see these tip things often because Halo 5 is such a competitive and difficult game, but people shouldn’t hold onto false hope. You just get better from playing more and not repeating dumb mistakes. I don’t think that requires a player to go through your afore mentioned tips.

And as stated earlier most issues stem from solo searching and the system itself. You can’t go too far in this current system playing solo, and you can’t go too far playing with your Onyx tier friend if you are truly a gold/low plat player. I love Halo and Halo 5, but the system is at a certain point limiting. Thats why these tips and similar videos are moot because the system takes care of those variables. And to top it all of the visible ranks are a joke. I rank mid-Plat the majority of the time, sometimes Diamond, but I generally always play Diamond/Onyx players in specific playlists. Does that mean I need to get “better”? Or does that mean the system can only do so much the way it is designed?