40$ Game for £35!? Rip off Britain indeed! UPDATED

As most of us should know a lot of games have been announced a E3 this year. For me the a game that spark my interest the most was HALO:CE Anniversary, The Halo 1 remake in HD. Now when i first heard that it wouldn’t be sold for full retail price i thought “Yes! Even better!”.
I quickly found out the US value (40$) of the game and then exchanged it into to £’s. It came up £25. Imagine the joy, I hadn’t seen a new game at that price since the days of PS1. I decided to pre-order the remake, and went onto GAME to pre-order. Found the game and the price for pre-order was £35!
Now can somebody please tell me why I am paying more money for this game that the USA for this game. If the game was £35 here that should make it 57$ in the USA. Rip off Britain indeed.
I know this isn’t as bad as Australia’s and other countries problems but im letting people know this rip off is global.

Unfortunately, this happens with many things, not just games. Time and time again I go to buy something here in the UK that is available in the States, only to find that they’ve done the equivalent of swapping the dollar sign for a pound sign, and any exchange rate be -Yoink!-.

With some products you might be able to argue that there’s import changes from the States. But games over here are made in the EU anyway (my Halo: Reach disc was made in Ireland ffs), so that doesn’t wash.

It is a rip off. Hence the reason that I rarely buy games when they first come out. I wait a month or two until they drop 10-20 pounds in price. Either that or buy the PC version (if available) which are generally ten pounds cheaper than the console versions anyway.

True we have always paid more than the US but this really is a rip off, in the US it’s 33.33% cheaper than usual and here it’s only 12.5% cheaper. If we had the same 33% off then it would be £27 (rounded), but more than likely the retailers would make it £30, which would be fine.

It’s a joke.

I’m not a very mathy person so if I’ve got any calculations wrong please correct me :slight_smile:

I would have thought it would be £30. Its disgusting that 343 are doing this to loyal long term fans that have supported the series for so long. I really hope that they take notice of this and try and not screw us over.

If anything, it’s Microsoft that does the pricing, not 343I. Sure it sucks but there really isn’t much that can be done about it

Ω

Cost of shipping and licensing, etc , all adds up. Thank the makers you aren’t in Australia.

Correct me if im wrong but your prices already include taxes where the sates they add it on when you are buying it.

> Correct me if im wrong but your prices already include taxes where the sates they add it on when you are buying it.

Yes but unless your tax is 21% or above we are still getting ripped off.

$43.45 is what it is with tax from where I live in the states.

Try living in Australia

We in the UK always pay more, thanks to VAT…I’ve learnt to accept that though.

Well, seeing as the game is made by an American company, then shipping to Britain would probably cost a bit extra, not to mention tax differences and import tariffs.

At least you’re not Australian. Games are always worth much more than in the States. Hell, I’m Canadian and we now have parity with the American dollar, except I’m still buying games 10 bucks more.

> Well, seeing as the game is made by an American company, then shipping to Britain would probably cost a bit extra, not to mention tax differences and import tariffs.

lol, they don’t ship it to the UK from America, most of our games are manufactured in either Ireland or Germany, all of those factors do not equal anywhere near the price difference there is.

I think that the £35 is just a provisional price. Right now you can only pre-order Halo CEA at Game.co.uk, Play.com and TheHut Group(Zavvi.co.uk/thehut.co.uk etc.). The last both retailers are selling the H:CEA for £39.99. I’m waiting that Amazon.co.uk puts up the pre-order. So I can use of the Pre-order Price Guarantee. But I’m hoping that the price will be £27.99-£29.99. (Otherwise I would pay even £60-£100 for a legendary edition.)

A couple of days ago i wrote a post about the rip off price of Halo: CE Anniversary in the UK (and im sureother countries), I posted the exact same forum to other big gaming sites and a lot of people saw what was going on, and now it appears Eurogamer has caught eye of this price error…
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-06-15-halo-ce-anniversary-to-cost-GBP34-99 – Link to article.

This is unacceptable why should people in the UK have to pay OVER 40% more for no reason?

And don’t be stupid enough and try to justify the cost with “shipping fees” as all of the Halo games to date, that have been sold in the UK were manufactured in Ireland, This is BS, and I’ll guess that any staff at 343 will just accept this.

And Hell, its gonna be worse for the Australians, stuff like this is bad publicity.

I don’t live in Britain but that is just rediculous.

> I don’t live in Britain but that is just rediculous.

Agreed,

I will still buy the Game don’t get me wrong, I can’t wait, but I’d appreciate it if a representative from 343 could justify why I, and so many others will be paying more for the same product.