4 Steps to Fix CE:A Matchmaking : Jump + Grenades + Melee + AA

Can we please fix the Anniversary playlists? The gameplay mechanics are so far off from a true experience that is almost not worth playing.

1. Jump height in the new Anniversary lists is simply wrong. There is no other way to say this. Perhaps it is impossible within the Halo Reach structure of matchmaking, but the jump height is bad. If you care to experience this jarring reality load up and play Anniversary Campaign for 10 minutes and then jump into matchmaking. It’s not even close. In Campaign you float like a super powered Spartan over rocks and marines. In matchmaking you start to soar and then abruptly are slammed back to earth by extra high gravity. People complain about grenade strength, but in reality if we had true jump height you could evade the grenades much more easily.

2. Grenades: we need to start with two grenades. Granted we will never be able to pick up and carry a full eight grenades, but starting with one grenade is not a historic Halo mechanic.

3. Melee: This one I may be a bit off on, but I cannot seem to remember a point in time, in ANY Halo game, where it took 3 melees to kill an enemy in matchmaking. I might be wrong on this as it has been at least eight years since my last Halo CE LAN party.

4. Armor Abilities: Really? Armor Abilities in Anniversary playlists? Really 343? Really?

++++++

Final thoughts. I honestly don’t think you can actually fix some of these due to the fact that we’re playing a poor man’s recreation of Anniversary mechanics shoehorned into Halo Reach multiplayer. If that is truly the case then maybe the best thing would be to simply turn off all armor abilities, increase weapon damage (so you still get 3SK pistols), and forego tweaking the gravity, jump height, and speed player traits.

Agreed, but melee actually was 3 hits back in the day

Yeah, it did take 3 melees to kill. Also, with Reach’s easy melee system, 2 just doesn’t work.

Also, I think they upped gravity as this improves strafing, and I’d take better strafing over floaty jumps any day.

I’d be cool with 2 nade starts, though.

And I agree, AA’s in 3 of 4 Anniversary playlists is ridiculous.

Finally someone else has noticed that the Jump is somehow wrong! Im sure there is too much Gravity sucking you back down which is making map movement trick at best. Simple jumps and now 50/50 when in combat.

As for the AA’s game types in Anniversary I have to admit that Reach even with its poor design was still designed to work even if its still really poor.

Fix the Jump and Don’t have two playlists “Squad! & Classic! Anniversary” offering the same things? Your going to have to impress us 343i stop tip toeing around the issues and slam some big changes into Reach/Anniversary.

Sniper, Objective, AA’s and everything else thats been neglected.

Anniversary just didn’t seem play-tested enough, especially considering higher-level veteran Halo players. 343 should have taken the information from the TU Beta into consideration more.

I’m primarily concerned with the Anniversary Classic, as it is not fully complete. The 3 shot pistol is mostly on track, though it doesn’t pack the superior range the original had, as well as a smaller clip.

Jump height is definitely a problem. It actually feels worse than even vanilla Reach, like wearing a 40-pound brick. Jump and gravity should be changed to 150/200 at least.

While I didn’t play much Halo 1 competitively, melee does seem underpowered. 3 melee kills were primarily to stop sprinters from double-beating a person, but that doesn’t really apply here. Except for assassinations, melee tends to be a finisher, so I think it should be at least 75%, but I’d be fine with 100%

The 1 Nade start was probably implemented to prevent excessive grenade spamming, but with the proper settings, nades shouldn’t be as problematic.

As for the other Anniversary playlists, it should be more like the first classic playlist. No AAs, 120 move, 150 jump, 200 gravity. The NR was used as a start before, but if the damage inflict/damage resist was changed to 125/150, the DMR would be a 4 shot. Of course, this would all apply if ZB was implemented.

OP i agree with everything you’ve said. at the very least, with the AA situation, i wish they’d remove jet pack. thats the AA that really stands out to me as being blatantly terrible, turning halo from a serious game into a childrens game filled with gimmicks.

> Agreed, but melee actually was 3 hits back in the day

this is very true.

halo 1 WAS a 3 melee kill.

the thing is.

it was also a 1 AR bullet + 2 melee kill.

if you did 1 point of damage, 2 melees would kill your target. basically this is the exact same as the 2 melee kill because of how easy it is to deal 1 single AR bullets worth of damage before you melee twice.

The melee is not even close to being like Halo CE. In CE you could hit them with a couple of rounds of the AR and smack them ONE time and they went down. Two nades would be better, just NO to anything like armor abilities.

Pistol still needs a little work.

I agree, OP, but the glaring problem in CEA is really the pistol. It’s just so random…

> 2. Grenades: we need to start with two grenades. Granted we will never be able to pick up and carry a full eight grenades, but starting with one grenade is not a historic Halo mechanic.

hell no

how about this Guys :smiley:

All of Reach’s Settings
Delete Armour lock completly
No bloom
Aimbots for everyone
Millions of New Armour
New Ranks like: Idiot, No life, I play CoD

There look i sorted all of the troll grades :smiley:
im good me :smiley:

LIKE HELL YOU RANDOM SHIZZLES!

ARE YOU JOKING ME SERIOUSLY, they are adapting as they go bending to the community as uch as they possibly can wothout upsetting too many poeple my personal advice to you complaining out there WHOEVER you may be:

Play a Halo game doesnt matter which, enjoy it as it is and will be it’ll change with time.
If you cannot adapt to the changes then your obliviously on the wrong game, go play on Call of duty or Battlefield or even if it makes you feel so good theres a new game for the kinect called disneyland adventures, save 2K on actually going and play in disneyland from your sittingromm :smiley:

SHOW SOME BLUDY GRATITUDE <<< Lest bite the Feeding Hand

don’t bite the hand…

unless the hand says “here is some filet mignon” and then hands you tofu.

> don’t bite the hand…
>
> unless the hand says “here is some filet mignon” and then hands you tofu.

WIN. Nothing but WIN

OT: As for jump height, it needs to be fixed. Was it a mistake, or did only BS Angel touch the campaign?

Grenades: I understand it being 1 grenade, and this does not bother me too much (as grenades are readily available on the map) but should be changed because grenades could be dodged by Jump Height.

3 Melee: By my standards, it’s fine, but it should be tweaked if it isn’t aligned with CE settings.

Pistol: Zero bloom, with spread. The cursor SHOULD NOT move, and bullets should be limited to the reticule space. Bullet Magnetism also counters this, so if there is any way of lowering bullet magnetism, go right ahead.

i agree. also take bloom off the ar and pistol. the pistol has absolutley no range, its not original. its unplayable at this point, ill get back on when they fix it, if they ever fix it. does anyone know if they will yet?

To clear something up, as the Defiant and other map specific playlists, it is not defining the gametypes

Anniversarying Playlists = Anniversarying maps and you choose if you want it to be classic
ie. Defiant Playlists = Defiant maps

If you choose the classic modes, you won’t have any of the problems you are concerned with and the gameplay will me the same as it were 10 years ago.

a drunk moose

I have been playing quite a bit of the Anniversary playlist lately. I’ve found that the best way to play the old school style is to play from the Anniversary disc itself (not from Reach : with maps installed).

Either they tweaked the weighting on the gametypes, or for some reason standard Anniversary gametypes have won out in the voting now that players understand what they are.

Regardless, the jump height is still laughable in this version. I know that 343 has more control of the Halo code, etc., now that they are officially 100% in charge of the universe, and it would be great to see the jump height changed to be more accurate. Currently it still feels like you’re a magnetic block that is attached to the ground.

It’s a bit sad that while playing the maps on Anniversary settings you miss jumps that you can make when you switch to standard Reach gameplay.

Agreed.

The classic playlist should conist entirely of halo ce/2/3 maps, like the ones that came with CEA, and should ALWAYS have a gametype that replicates the play of the orgin of that map.

As of now, it’s some hybrid of of reach, the TU, and the orginal.

> To clear something up, as the Defiant and other map specific playlists, it is not defining the gametypes
>
> Anniversarying Playlists = Anniversarying maps and you choose if you want it to be classic
> ie. Defiant Playlists = Defiant maps
>
> If you choose the classic modes, you won’t have any of the problems you are concerned with and the gameplay will me the same as it were 10 years ago.
>
> a drunk moose

I don’t understand this post at ALL.

> Agreed.
>
> The classic playlist should conist entirely of halo ce/2/3 maps, like the ones that came with CEA, and should ALWAYS have a gametype that replicates the play of the orgin of that map.
>
> As of now, it’s some hybrid of of reach, the TU, and the orginal.

I agree. Last night I played a few rounds of Anniversary Big Team Battle. And yet, somehow in Anniversary Big Team I was stuck playing Title Update slayer and then Stockpile… I realize I was graciously allowed to play on Anniversary maps, but if I wanted to play Reach physics, weapons, and gametypes I would just play normal Big Team.

Jump height needs a little increase, we need 2 nades off start and please, PLEASE remove the AA gametypes from Anniversary!

I agree. It makes no sense to me why the original game was enabled to have CEA settings through the TU and then 343 doesn’t implement it. Doesn’t it defeat the point of a remake if your going to make the maps without having the gameplay being as true to the original as possible(using custom settings).

> I agree. It makes no sense to me why the original game was enabled to have CEA settings through the TU and then 343 doesn’t implement it. Doesn’t it defeat the point of a remake if your going to make the maps without having the gameplay being as true to the original as possible(using custom settings).

So that people could play Reach 1.1 on those maps since somehow people who bought a $250 Xbox, $60 Video Game, and pay 60-120 dollars a year can’t pay 10-15 dollars ONE time. The TU gametypes are good, but Bleed-through feels a little random although is does balance the Plasma Weapons out better. Anniversary could use some work. My only Playlist change would be to remove the Anniversary maps and gametypes from Squad since there just happens to be another 4 on 4 playlist featuring ONLY those maps!

Halo players need to show some gratitude toward 343. They have done everything in their power to make Reach play better and will be for the next year.