4 Player Co-Op for CEA

Is there 4 player online co-op campaign for CEA, or is it only 2 player?

2 player

It’s two player only for online co-op, and I think also for split-screen co-op.

It is two because it sticks to the original Halo:CE.

They aren’t messing around - it’s EXACTLY like the original, just with non-story changing terminals and a new skull.

4 player co-op it says on the trailer.

> 4 player co-op it says on the trailer.

Watch the trailer again, it never said that.

2 player co-op=epic fail IMO

> 2 player co-op=epic fail IMO

It’s been 2 player co-op in every Halo locally. If you are talking about having 4 player over xbox live, it would break the gameplay in the original Halo cause first of all you have to take into account; the number of cryo chambers of the first level when master chief first awakes from sleep. It would be waaaay to crammed to try and put in 4 cryo chambers. Second, what about the second level called “Halo?” Only two people can fit in the escape pod anyway and plus the warthog you get can only fit 3 people. If they went back to try and change all of this, it would take a really long time to go back and rewrite the game’s original code to help accommodate for that. Plus if they did try to bring 4 players into the experience, new bugs would start popping up and they would have to go back and fix those. The point I’m trying to make is that it would just take to much time and they really wanted to release it exactly 10 years since the original game came out. Just think a little before you try and look at the idea as a fail next time.

> > 2 player co-op=epic fail IMO
>
> It’s been 2 player co-op in every Halo locally. If you are talking about having 4 player over xbox live, it would break the gameplay in the original Halo cause first of all you have to take into account; the number of cryo chambers of the first level when master chief first awakes from sleep. It would be waaaay to crammed to try and put in 4 cryo chambers.

Or you could just leave the original one or two cryochambers of that opening cut-scene and simply spawn four players in regardless. We’ve already broken canon and reason by having more than one Master Chief to begin with, a little more in the direction “wacky, but fun” won’t hurt us any.

> Second, what about the second level called “Halo?” Only two people can fit in the escape pod anyway and plus the warthog you get can only fit 3 people. If they went back to try and change all of this, it would take a really long time to go back and rewrite the game’s original code to help accommodate for that.

Did Bungie have to recode any of Halo 3’s levels to accommodate 4 player co-op? No, they simply modified player, enemy, weapon, and vehicle spawnpoints. And the same could be done with Halo CEA, if you really wanted to.

> Plus if they did try to bring 4 players into the experience, new bugs would start popping up and they would have to go back and fix those.

I’m sure there were bugs associated with the new terminals, skulls, and especially the new graphics engine layer as well, but those still made it because despite the difficulties that are associated with doing anything to change, modify, and otherwise design a game 343 wanted us to have an improved product. And it’s with that desire we have the only argument against 4 player co-op that holds any water, 343 simply didn’t want it.

> > > 2 player co-op=epic fail IMO
> >
> > It’s been 2 player co-op in every Halo locally. If you are talking about having 4 player over xbox live, it would break the gameplay in the original Halo cause first of all you have to take into account; the number of cryo chambers of the first level when master chief first awakes from sleep. It would be waaaay to crammed to try and put in 4 cryo chambers.
>
> Or you could just leave the original one or two cryochambers of that opening cut-scene and simply spawn four players in regardless. We’ve already broken canon and reason by having more than one Master Chief to begin with, a little more in the direction “wacky, but fun” won’t hurt us any.
>
>
>
> > Second, what about the second level called “Halo?” Only two people can fit in the escape pod anyway and plus the warthog you get can only fit 3 people. If they went back to try and change all of this, it would take a really long time to go back and rewrite the game’s original code to help accommodate for that.
>
> Did Bungie have to recode any of Halo 3’s levels to accommodate 4 player co-op? No, they simply modified player, enemy, weapon, and vehicle spawnpoints. And the same could be done with Halo CEA, if you really wanted to.
>
>
>
> > Plus if they did try to bring 4 players into the experience, new bugs would start popping up and they would have to go back and fix those.
>
> I’m sure there were bugs associated with the new terminals, skulls, and especially the new graphics engine layer as well, but those still made it because despite the difficulties that are associated with doing anything to change, modify, and otherwise design a game 343 wanted us to have an improved product. And it’s with that desire we have the only argument against 4 player co-op that holds any water, 343 simply didn’t want it.

They didn’t have to recode Halo 3 because 4 player co-op over xbox live was originally in mind for Halo 3. Halo CE didn’t have 4 player co-op in mind. I honestly think it would take waaaay to long for them to try and put 4 player just like how they explained how putting xbox live matchmaking into Halo CE wouldn’t work. (Not just because it would separate Reach’s ecosystem.)

> [They didn’t have to recode Halo 3 because 4 player co-op over xbox live was originally in mind for Halo 3. Halo CE didn’t have 4 player co-op in mind.

Facepalm

Rewriting the game’s original code to include 4 player co-op is one thing (and something they did for 2 player over live, by the way) but my point is that weapon, vehicle, enemy, and player spawnpoints don’t count for that (as you said they did) because those aren’t hard-coded into the game in the sense that it’s a matter for the level designer and not the engineer to change them.

> I honestly think it would take waaaay to long for them to try and put 4 player.

It may certainly have been to stretch 2 player into 4 but that’s something for 343 to consider, not us, because we have absolutely nothing to go on and even less responsibility to try. If it won’t work, it won’t work, but by some designer’s or engineer’s call, not ours.

So, you can’t argue against 4-player co-op on the grounds of feasiblity. At our level, it’s a moot point.

> > [They didn’t have to recode Halo 3 because 4 player co-op over xbox live was originally in mind for Halo 3. Halo CE didn’t have 4 player co-op in mind.
>
> Facepalm
>
> Rewriting the game’s original code to include 4 player co-op is one thing (and something they did for 2 player over live, by the way) but my point is that weapon, vehicle, enemy, and player spawnpoints don’t count for that (as you said they did) because those aren’t hard-coded into the game in the sense that it’s a matter for the level designer and not the engineer to change them.
>
>
> > I honestly think it would take waaaay to long for them to try and put 4 player.
>
> It may certainly have been to stretch 2 player into 4 but that’s something for 343 to consider, not us, because we have absolutely nothing to go on and even less responsibility to try. If it won’t work, it won’t work, but by some designer’s or engineer’s call, not ours.
>
> So, you can’t argue against 4-player co-op on the grounds of feasiblity. At our level, it’s a moot point.

Ahh okay I misunderstood. When you put it that way then yes it is the engineers call to put in 4 player co-op if they wanted too but at this point I don’t think they will incorporate into gameplay. 4 player to me would be a welcome addition but I honestly think it wouldn’t have worked in gameplay. They probably had the same idea so they just went with 2 player instead. Not that it couldn’t be done but I think 343i wanted it to feel true to the original as much as possible.

I hope its 4 :frowning:

If you swing by the ‘GAMES’ tab, and click Halo CEA, it’ll give you all the stats you could want to know, including 2-player online co-op, and 2-player couch-op. It even has the (projected) stats for Halo 4
I do wish it was 4 though… Although tchnically Linda WAS also in the Pillar of Autmn with chief. She was almost dead though.

> Ahh okay I misunderstood. When you put it that way then yes it is the engineers call to put in 4 player co-op if they wanted too but at this point I don’t think they will incorporate into gameplay. 4 player to me would be a welcome addition but I honestly think it wouldn’t have worked in gameplay. They probably had the same idea so they just went with 2 player instead. Not that it couldn’t be done but I think 343i wanted it to feel true to the original as much as possible.

Well if you look at what Bungie actually changed for 4-player co-op in Reach you’ll see that they really didn’t do anything aside from adding a few more vehicles here and there to accommodate the need for more seats. Enemy spawns are virtually the same and if they did anything with the AI to handle multiple priority targets it certainly doesn’t show.

Where I think the feature conflicts with Halo CEA is that “true to the original” feel you picked up on. Another couple of buddies would have been great, but that would have been a significant change just in how combat flows and while a change for the better, presumably, it is fundamental change which this conservative project can’t support.

> > 4 player co-op it says on the trailer.
>
> Watch the trailer again, it never said that.

oh right it just said co-op not how many :frowning:

The same amount of enemies as in the original.

If they would add 4 player co-op, they’d need to add more enemies on screen (to make the game more challenging), but that would alter the original experience.

So yeah.

Then add more enemies to make it harder. I don’t see with 10 years to improve technology why they can’t slightly change the code to incorporate newer experiences since 2001 into the mix. They’re already jipping fans by not adding legitimate multiplayer (to not interfere with Reach’s and 4’s MP… BS), so why can’t they at least throw a few bones. If they’ve been planning this damn remake for as long as they say they have, it shouldn’t be so hard to do these things. Also, the AR is messed up, and the Marines are Army troopers from Reach. I’m starting to wonder if 343i is putting in the level of commitment fans even want from a developer.

PS - If theater, forge and firefight aren’t in this game I will probably return it.

this thread is limited …