343's Halos better than H1 and H2?

So before anyone jumps to the conclusion that I’m just a 343 Fanboy and hate the older Halos, I’m not. I totally respect the Bungie Halos, however I’m 13 and my generation Halo game is Halo 5 which means a lot since this was the game I went out and bought. But anyways moving on to the thread, I honestly think that as a package, Halo 4 and 5 are better games than 1 and 2. So content, Halo CE had around 5-6 game modes I believe on online matchmaking. Halo 4 and 5 have around 14 and up. Forge, well Halo 4 and Halo 5 have it and CE and 2 didn’t. Customization, Halo 4 had great customization, while Halo 5’s isn’t that good (I say it isn’t that good instead of something worse because I like the ability to customize assassinations and stances). Now this is where I’ll need help from you guys, did Halo CE and 2 have good customization? Moving on, Gameplay Halo 1 and 2 were pretty much the same when it came to gameplay, Halo 4 tried appealing to the COD community with its gameplay. Halo 5 (IMO) is unique to other games out there while still following modern gameplay. In that sense it comes to a decision of which you like more but both offer solid multiplayer. Single Player, Halo CE and 2 had around the same single player options as 4 but I prefer the original 2 campaigns more, Halo 5 shall not be speaked of. Overall, Halo 4 and 5 offered much more content and more things to do than in the 2 original games. These two Halos as a package are more worth than the original 2 games. I know that these 2 Halos should be much better because they are built off the previous in almost everything, but i hate the sentence of “Halo CE and Halo 2 dominate Halo 4 and 5” because if you think about it, it’s simply not true. I would much rather prefer a term of Halo 4 and 5 are ok games (or bad in your opinions, whatever you think) for what they’re supposed to be. But anyways this was an overall comparison between the 2, reply below and of course do so with respect and maturity.

The one thing that basically derails all this… the first 2 Halos were released over a decade ago. It’s not really fair to compare games released in 2012 and 2015 with ones released in 2001 and 2004. All the things in it might seem mundane by today’s standards, but at the time it was nothing short of revolutionary.

Adding on, Halo CE and Halo 2 had the biggest differences in gameplay in the entire series, even more so than 3 to Reach and Reach to 4. Customization wise, it was quite simple, yes. But it wasn’t bogged down by a bunch of useless/ugly things you’re never gonna use. It’s about quality of content, not quantity. And as an unbiased fan (I came in during the Reach days), the original Halos simply did more with less.

You left out Halo 3. That’s gonna trigger a lot of people…

Halo 1-2 didn’t have good customisation. Halo 1 only hard the Mark V suit, while Halo 2 had the Mark VI.
And I would agree that Halo 1-2 are a bit overrated, as they lacked many features. They were definitely a good base to build on.
Multiplayer wise, I enjoyed them from greatest to least in this order:

• Halo 4 - Halo CE - Halo 5 - Halo 2I really liked Halo 4 because of how you unlocked armor based on rank progression or commendation completion, and that inspired me to play the game more. Halo CE is second because there was so much you could do on the PC platform of that game, as third-party developers started making so many different custom lobbies. It was really fun. Halo 3 is 3rd because it has a lot of gamemodes to shoot from. I feel it gets kind of repetitive, but it’s very well done. Halo 2, I just didn’t enjoy. The bullet magnetism on the BR made whoever got the first shot the automatic winner, which was kind of dumb.

Campaign wise, it definitely differs.

• Halo 2 - Halo CE - Halo 5 - Halo 4I enjoyed Halo 2 and CE the most because the Flood was really fun to kill, as was the Covenant Elites. Plus, so much map glitching and easter eggs (I made a couple videos about various map glitches and easter eggs in Halo 2, but that’s for another time). Halo 5 and 4, was kinda meh. I wouldn’t really enjoy playing over them again. I really don’t like what they did with Cortana in 5, but whatever.

Uh, I guess that’s my opinion on MP and Campaigns.
I feel like Bungie wanted to convey an epic story, whereas 343 focused on Multiplayer to attract new players who didn’t play the earlier games.
PS. it’s cool that you’re playing this franchise at an early age - I suggest getting MCC and revisiting the older campaigns. Those are fun.

> 2535456575907503;2:
> The one thing that basically derails all this… the first 2 Halos were released over a decade ago. It’s not really fair to compare games released in 2012 and 2015 with ones released in 2001 and 2004. All the things in it might seem mundane by today’s standards, but at the time it was nothing short of revolutionary.
>
> Adding on, Halo CE and Halo 2 had the biggest differences in gameplay in the entire series, even more so than 3 to Reach and Reach to 4. Customization wise, it was quite simple, yes. But it wasn’t bogged down by a bunch of useless/ugly things you’re never gonna use.

Yeah I know which is why I bring that up and say that I just dont like that people say Halo CE and Halo 2 were better than 4 and 5 at least IMO

> 2533274882271122;1:
> So before anyone jumps to the conclusion that I’m just a 343 Fanboy and hate the older Halos, I’m not. I totally respect the Bungie Halos, however I’m 13 and my generation Halo game is Halo 5 which means a lot since this was the game I went out and bought. But anyways moving on to the thread, I honestly think that as a package, Halo 4 and 5 are better games than 1 and 2. So content, Halo CE had around 5-6 game modes I believe on online matchmaking. Halo 4 and 5 have around 14 and up. Forge, well Halo 4 and Halo 5 have it and CE and 2 didn’t. Customization, Halo 4 had great customization, while Halo 5’s isn’t that good (I say it isn’t that good instead of something worse because I like the ability to customize assassinations and stances). Now this is where I’ll need help from you guys, did Halo CE and 2 have good customization? Moving on, Gameplay Halo 1 and 2 were pretty much the same when it came to gameplay,

You can’t really measure that in any objective way. You’re dealing with people’s opinions and opinions are going to differ. There isn’t any way I can think of to compare the 7 Halo game and determine which one’s are better than each other in ‘truth.’ I can tell you what I feel are the good and bad parts of each, but it will always be entirely subjective. There are things that I’ve liked about every Halo and things I’ve disliked about all of them. ‘Truth’ doesn’t really enter into it though.

CE and 2’s gameplay was not the same. They (And really every halo) has been completely different. I know you didn’t play the games, but the switch to online play as opposed to lan, the intro of the sword, hitscan, button combos, the removal of the god pistol and AR, Br and SMG introduced, SMG Starts, The maps got better, the vehicles could be boarded, vehicles could be destroyed, fall damage disappeared, dual wielding…I could actually go on for quite a while. I see this a lot in people on the other side claiming that ‘classic’ is better, this idea that the first three games played the same and that just isn’t correct. The mechanics changed each time. No halo game is the same as any other.

> 2533274882271122;4:
> > 2535456575907503;2:
> > The one thing that basically derails all this… the first 2 Halos were released over a decade ago. It’s not really fair to compare games released in 2012 and 2015 with ones released in 2001 and 2004. All the things in it might seem mundane by today’s standards, but at the time it was nothing short of revolutionary.
> >
> > Adding on, Halo CE and Halo 2 had the biggest differences in gameplay in the entire series, even more so than 3 to Reach and Reach to 4. Customization wise, it was quite simple, yes. But it wasn’t bogged down by a bunch of useless/ugly things you’re never gonna use.
>
>
> Yeah I know which is why I bring that up and say that I just dont like that people say Halo CE and Halo 2 were better than 4 and 5 at least IMO

“Better” is a very subjective term, there’s many different ways of deciding what’s good or not. Objectively, if you just look at barebones “What does this game have and do that that game doesn’t”, yes, Halo 4 and 5 are better. But most people don’t look at things like that. They take into account how much they personally enjoyed the game, how the general population enjoyed the game, et. cetra. So are the original Halos better than the new ones? There’s really no right or wrong answer.

> 2535416474113375;3:
> You left out Halo 3. That’s gonna trigger a lot of people…
> –
> Halo 1-2 didn’t have good customisation. Halo 1 only hard the Mark V suit, while Halo 2 had the Mark VI.
> And I would agree that Halo 1-2 are a bit overrated, as they lacked many features. They were definitely a good base to build on.
> Multiplayer wise, I enjoyed them from greatest to least in this order:
>
> - Halo 4
> - Halo CE
> - Halo 5
> - Halo 2
> I really liked Halo 4 because of how you unlocked armor based on rank progression or commendation completion, and that inspired me to play the game more. Halo CE is second because there was so much you could do on the PC platform of that game, as third-party developers started making so many different custom lobbies. It was really fun. Halo 3 is 3rd because it has a lot of gamemodes to shoot from. I feel it gets kind of repetitive, but it’s very well done. Halo 2, I just didn’t enjoy. The bullet magnetism on the BR made whoever got the first shot the automatic winner, which was kind of dumb.
>
> Campaign wise, it definitely differs.
>
> - Halo 2
> - Halo CE
> - Halo 5
> - Halo 4
> I enjoyed Halo 2 and CE the most because the Flood was really fun to kill, as was the Covenant Elites. Plus, so much map glitching and easter eggs (I made a couple videos about various map glitches and easter eggs in Halo 2, but that’s for another time). Halo 5 and 4, was kinda meh. I wouldn’t really enjoy playing over them again. I really don’t like what they did with Cortana in 5, but whatever.
>
> Uh, I guess that’s my opinion on MP and Campaigns.
> I feel like Bungie wanted to convey an epic story, whereas 343 focused on Multiplayer to attract new players who didn’t play the earlier games.
> PS. it’s cool that you’re playing this franchise at an early age - I suggest getting MCC and revisiting the older campaigns. Those are fun.

Well I left out Halo 3 because that was the 3rd game Bungie made while 343 have only made 2. Cool, for me (Campaign) I would have to say it was Halo CE, Halo 4, and Halo 2. I didn’t really enjoy the Halo 3 campaign because of how long and big the missions were in some areas and I got kinda bored. I don’t know why but I just loved Halo CE’s campaign, from start to finish( I even liked the Library!) I loved how Halo 4 made Chief more of a person and just loved how it was it set up, it’s a shame Halo 5’s story wasn’t good, at least IMO. I do have the MCC! I’ll play on the multiplayer every once in a while but usually don’t since it takes so long to find a game. I have finished every Halo campaign except ODST and Reach( I didn’t really like Reach’s campaign). And I don’t have ODST.

> 2535456575907503;6:
> > 2533274882271122;4:
> > > 2535456575907503;2:
> > > The one thing that basically derails all this… the first 2 Halos were released over a decade ago. It’s not really fair to compare games released in 2012 and 2015 with ones released in 2001 and 2004. All the things in it might seem mundane by today’s standards, but at the time it was nothing short of revolutionary.
> > >
> > > Adding on, Halo CE and Halo 2 had the biggest differences in gameplay in the entire series, even more so than 3 to Reach and Reach to 4. Customization wise, it was quite simple, yes. But it wasn’t bogged down by a bunch of useless/ugly things you’re never gonna use.
> >
> >
> > Yeah I know which is why I bring that up and say that I just dont like that people say Halo CE and Halo 2 were better than 4 and 5 at least IMO
>
> “Better” is a very subjective term, there’s many different ways of deciding what’s good or not. Objectively, if you just look at barebones “What does this game have and do that that game doesn’t”, yes, Halo 4 and 5 are better. But most people don’t look at things like that. They take into account how much they personally enjoyed the game, how the general population enjoyed the game, et. cetra. So are the original Halos better than the new ones? There’s really no right or wrong answer. Very true, in the end, and this is for every game, it all goes down to what you enjoy more. Like comparing COD to Halo, someone cant say COD is worse than Halo, that’s basically saying that their fun was “wrong” which is totally dumb to say. This was just an example.

> 2533274882271122;8:
> > 2535456575907503;6:
> > > 2533274882271122;4:
> > > > 2535456575907503;2:
> > > > The one thing that basically derails all this… the first 2 Halos were released over a decade ago. It’s not really fair to compare games released in 2012 and 2015 with ones released in 2001 and 2004. All the things in it might seem mundane by today’s standards, but at the time it was nothing short of revolutionary.
> > > >
> > > > Adding on, Halo CE and Halo 2 had the biggest differences in gameplay in the entire series, even more so than 3 to Reach and Reach to 4. Customization wise, it was quite simple, yes. But it wasn’t bogged down by a bunch of useless/ugly things you’re never gonna use.
> > >
> > >
> > > Yeah I know which is why I bring that up and say that I just dont like that people say Halo CE and Halo 2 were better than 4 and 5 at least IMO
> >
> >
> > “Better” is a very subjective term, there’s many different ways of deciding what’s good or not. Objectively, if you just look at barebones “What does this game have and do that that game doesn’t”, yes, Halo 4 and 5 are better. But most people don’t look at things like that. They take into account how much they personally enjoyed the game, how the general population enjoyed the game, et. cetra. So are the original Halos better than the new ones? There’s really no right or wrong answer. Very true, in the end, and this is for every game, it all goes down to what you enjoy more. Like comparing COD to Halo, someone cant say COD is worse than Halo, that’s basically saying that their fun was “wrong” which is totally dumb to say. This was just an example.

Wait what happened? Why is my post on The Sorge?

> You can’t really measure that in any objective way. You’re dealing with people’s opinions and opinions are going to differ. There isn’t any way I can think of to compare the 7 Halo game and determine which one’s are better than each other in ‘truth.’ I can tell you what I feel are the good and bad parts of each, but it will always be entirely subjective. There are things that I’ve liked about every Halo and things I’ve disliked about all of them. ‘Truth’ doesn’t really enter into it though.

He can measure that in an objective way. He’s not necessarily dealing with opinions - he’s referring to different features across Halo 4-5 that didn’t appear in Halo 1-2, like Forge. Like he stated, he’s using dominate in the sense that they are a bigger package of a game, that they contain more content overall, which is, in fact, true.

> CE and 2’s gameplay was not the same. They (And really every halo) has been completely different. I know you didn’t play the games, but the switch to online play as opposed to lan, the intro of the sword, hitscan, button combos, the removal of the god pistol and AR, Br and SMG introduced, SMG Starts, The maps got better, the vehicles could be boarded, vehicles could be destroyed, fall damage disappeared, dual wielding…I could actually go on for quite a while. I see this a lot in people on the other side claiming that ‘classic’ is better, this idea that the first three games played the same and that just isn’t correct. The mechanics changed each time. No halo game is the same as any other.

Halo 2 added many easy-to-understand elements, like the one you mentioned. Proportionally, to Halo 5, 1-2 are. It still runs off a similar engine, that, mind you, contains a lot of bullet magnetism. The same play style seems to function adequately in these games, but not in Halo 4-5.

Seriously, imagine someones explaining the major differences of Halo 2 from Halo CE.
“So, you can hijack vehicles by holding [interact].” The burst rifle is really good, pistol kinda sucks now. No fall damage, btw. Also, vehicles will die if they take too much dmg."

And you can figure out the rest on your own, with relative ease.

> 2533274880633045;5:
> > 2533274882271122;1:
> > So before anyone jumps to the conclusion that I’m just a 343 Fanboy and hate the older Halos, I’m not. I totally respect the Bungie Halos, however I’m 13 and my generation Halo game is Halo 5 which means a lot since this was the game I went out and bought. But anyways moving on to the thread, I honestly think that as a package, Halo 4 and 5 are better games than 1 and 2. So content, Halo CE had around 5-6 game modes I believe on online matchmaking. Halo 4 and 5 have around 14 and up. Forge, well Halo 4 and Halo 5 have it and CE and 2 didn’t. Customization, Halo 4 had great customization, while Halo 5’s isn’t that good (I say it isn’t that good instead of something worse because I like the ability to customize assassinations and stances). Now this is where I’ll need help from you guys, did Halo CE and 2 have good customization? Moving on, Gameplay Halo 1 and 2 were pretty much the same when it came to gameplay,
>
>
> You can’t really measure that in any objective way. You’re dealing with people’s opinions and opinions are going to differ. There isn’t any way I can think of to compare the 7 Halo game and determine which one’s are better than each other in ‘truth.’ I can tell you what I feel are the good and bad parts of each, but it will always be entirely subjective. There are things that I’ve liked about every Halo and things I’ve disliked about all of them. ‘Truth’ doesn’t really enter into it though.
>
> CE and 2’s gameplay was not the same. They (And really every halo) has been completely different. I know you didn’t play the games, but the switch to online play as opposed to lan, the intro of the sword, hitscan, button combos, the removal of the god pistol and AR, Br and SMG introduced, SMG Starts, The maps got better, the vehicles could be boarded, vehicles could be destroyed, fall damage disappeared, dual wielding…I could actually go on for quite a while. I see this a lot in people on the other side claiming that ‘classic’ is better, this idea that the first three games played the same and that just isn’t correct. The mechanics changed each time. No halo game is the same as any other.

Yeah you’re right, I just described it this way because people usually call the original 3 games, the “Halo formula” which I guess in some ways is true but you just explained how these two were different.

It’s true that early Halo games had less content, but that’s only natural. Initially, Halo CE did not have online gameplay: It was Halo 2 that introduced online gameplay and matchmaking. It was a pioneer in bringing console shooters online, so Bungie did not have much experience with multiplayer balance. So, also naturally, later Halo games may be seen as ‘better’ because the people who make them have experience gained from previous games, by both playing them and developing them.

But more often than not, players may say that the older games are better, and a major factor in that is usually nostalgia.They may like it more because of the fond memories they have of playing it, or it may be because they’re more comfortable with the overall ‘feel’ of the game compared to that of the newer game,for example: different mechanics. Also, whether you played them back in their prime or not, older games have an inherent charm to them that modern just can’t have, it’s something that comes with age.

The point is that there are underlying factors that determine a person’s opinion on which of two games they like better, factors that cannot be measured or seen on the surface, like amount of content. But everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and here on Waypoint people are, more often than not, respectful of the opinions of others.

As for myself, I’ve been playing Halo since I was 10. I was introduced to Halo 2 through a friend, then I played CE with him. In 2007-2008 he and I would go to a friend’s house every weekend for Halo 3 custom games. Now I’m 20, but despite my early experience with classic Halo I prefer 343’s modern Halo.

h4 sandbox left me wanting, it had plenty of modes, but the gameplay and the sounds were very meh , but the story was amazing, john and Cortana were discovering that the roles were switched, john was the machine and cortana was the compassionate one, it was very well done, then h5 has an amazing sandbox, the Spartan abilities are amazing imo (except Spartan charge) and there weren’t enough playlists at launch, but were soon added in, now the campaign wasn’t very good, but most people only play that once, so its not TOO much of a problem, and so I will say I much prefer h4 and h5 Than h1 and h2

As it’s already been said Halo CE and Halo 2 where created a decade ago so you can’t really compare them.

I have been playing since CE came out and that game was a revolution for the FPS genre, also the depth of story and characters was outstanding for the time it was so good master chief became an icon and the Star Figure for Xbox it’s self. When they made Halo CE and 2 they focused more on the campaign, As Online Multiplayer took off they changed there focus that’s why there is more customisation for characters.

As your 13 you would not of experienced nor will you understand the importance of these games, they are the games that paved the way for the current online multiplayer I don’t mean that in a bad way it’s just they way it is.

But you cannot say 343 is better than bungie, 343 are on top at the moment but there standing on the shoulders of giants - Bungie

Everything they have done has been derived and built on the amazing legacy and world that bungie created - all credit to 343 they are doing great and look forward to the future

Grandmasterbiff

Graphic wise, yes. Better than halo 2, maybe. Better than Combat Evolved? Ohh HHEELLLL No.

> 2533274858162692;14:
> As it’s already been said Halo CE and Halo 2 where created a decade ago so you can’t really compare them.
>
> I have been playing since CE came out and that game was a revolution for the FPS genre, also the depth of story and characters was outstanding for the time it was so good master chief became an icon and the Star Figure for Xbox it’s self. When they made Halo CE and 2 they focused more on the campaign, As Online Multiplayer took off they changed there focus that’s why there is more customisation for characters.
>
> As your 13 you would not of experienced nor will you understand the importance of these games, they are the games that paved the way for the current online multiplayer I don’t mean that in a bad way it’s just they way it is.
>
> But you cannot say 343 is better than bungie, 343 are on top at the moment but there standing on the shoulders of giants - Bungie
>
> Everything they have done has been derived and built on the amazing legacy and world that bungie created - all credit to 343 they are doing great and look forward to the future
>
> Grandmasterbiff

But im not necessarily saying that 343’s Halos are “better” I was just saying that I didn’t like the term “Halos CE and 2 dominate 4 and 5”. I hate it when people say that because it’s simply not true. I know that these 2 games were revolutionary for the gaming world, but I say this as if i were a consumer.

There’s no arguing that Halos 4 and 5 have more customization that Halos 1 and 2. Also, you’re right that Halo 4 has more game modes that Halos 1 and 2.

For me, the quality of the games comes down to the gameplay. I despise what 343 have done with the gameplay. Halos 1 and 2 played -Yoink!- near perfectly. The inclusion of sprint and all of these zany abilities have ruined the gameplay for me. When I play a Halo game, I’m expecting a medium-paced game with simple, yet highly polished and deep gameplay mechanics. I’m not looking for some massive moveset and 20 different ways to get across the map. adding complexity is not the same as adding depth.

> 2533274882271122;16:
> > 2533274858162692;14:
> > As it’s already been said Halo CE and Halo 2 where created a decade ago so you can’t really compare them.
> >
> > I have been playing since CE came out and that game was a revolution for the FPS genre, also the depth of story and characters was outstanding for the time it was so good master chief became an icon and the Star Figure for Xbox it’s self. When they made Halo CE and 2 they focused more on the campaign, As Online Multiplayer took off they changed there focus that’s why there is more customisation for characters.
> >
> > As your 13 you would not of experienced nor will you understand the importance of these games, they are the games that paved the way for the current online multiplayer I don’t mean that in a bad way it’s just they way it is.
> >
> > But you cannot say 343 is better than bungie, 343 are on top at the moment but there standing on the shoulders of giants - Bungie
> >
> > Everything they have done has been derived and built on the amazing legacy and world that bungie created - all credit to 343 they are doing great and look forward to the future
> >
> > Grandmasterbiff
>
>
> But im not necessarily saying that 343’s Halos are “better” I was just saying that I didn’t like the term “Halos CE and 2 dominate 4 and 5”. I hate it when people say that because it’s simply not true. I know that these 2 games were revolutionary for the gaming world, but I say this as if i were a consumer.

I understand there many people who are prejudice simply because it’s 343, I hate this attitude myself I love all the halo games and agree that saying CE and 2 dominate 4 and 5 is ridiculous there a decade apart and the gaming world has changed so much it’s ridiculous to even compare

So in short yes I agree that phrase is beyond pointless and pathetic

While were here bit off topic but I also hate OP for overpowered acronyms like this will destroy our language it’s already bad enough when someone your talking to face to face says lol instead of actually laughing. Sorry had to get that of my chest.

Heres the problem i get bored of playing halo 4 and halo 5 online but ive played halo ce and 2 since they were released and they are still fun

I am 16 years old (was 4 when Halo 2 was released) and think that CE and 2 are way better than Halo 5, that game doesn’t even have splits screen!
Halo 4 is almost good as them.