343's Absolute Confidence

Guessing that we haven’t seen anything from Halo Infinite from what we already know and seen 343 must be confident that they have a great game on their hands? I mean if they were worried that Halo Infinite would fail would all of you believe that 343 would make that clear? Or is not saying or showing anything at all maybe that 343 could be worried about how Halo Infinite will be received? Thoughts?

I believe their original plan was to show stuff off at E3 2020. The fact that they delayed it until July doesn’t seem unreasonable, given that they needed to iron out any kinks they may have had during the last Microsoft 20/20 livestream. I discovered hope with the last E3 trailer and anticipate great things in July. They’ve had two games to learn from mistakes (and note what went well), so it seems statistically unlikely that they can mess this one up too bad.

Keep in mind though, it won’t be Halo 3. It may be better, it may be worse, but it certainly will be different.

I for one think the silence reflects confidence. They’ve made a new engine and have a lot of time, money, and people invested into this project (I’m not sure of the entire headcount but I’ve heard Skybox Labs, the co-dev, has 200+ alone). They know that they can be as silent as they want so long as they deliver in July because once that happens and if their plan works nobody will care about the silence and hype will be immense.

I don’t think it’ll be Halo 3 caliber because Halo is still on the road to recovery. But I guarantee that if they can pull this off the pay off could be huge and at least in one of Infinite’s sequels we’ll see a return to the height of the franchise.

I don’t doubt they’re confident they’ll get this one “right”, but I also don’t doubt they’re a bit nervous at the same time.

With that being said, I again firmly believe that no matter how Infinite is received, some section of the community will passionately decry it as “trash” and another section will shrug it off as being mediocre at best. Halo’s become too diverse at this point to make any one side of the community truly happy, with seemingly every topic imaginable having some division present.

It feels like 343 is trying to go for a sleeper vibe for some reason. Like instead of rolling out a red carpet and blowing into a conch shell, their opting for this real subtle reveal. They’ve done it with the MCC releases. H2 came out on PC suddenly with no announcement. I was originally thinking 343 was gonna go for a short and intense marketing campaign, but now I’m wondering if they’re just not gonna say anything and release the game without much ceremony. Then perhaps they’re operating under the assumption that word will spread like a viral video and get Halo out to the masses? Unless we see a big content drop at E3, I’m not sure what else the strategy could be.

I don’t think they’re worried. But I do believe they’re taking a more cautious approach to how they share their news after how Halo 5 recieved a mixed reception after overly hyping the game as early as before the the beginning of the conceptual phase. I’m not worried, I love all Halo titles and I’m always confident for what’s to come.

> 2533274850869596;4:
> I don’t doubt they’re confident they’ll get this one “right”, but I also don’t doubt they’re a bit nervous at the same time.
>
> With that being said, I again firmly believe that no matter how Infinite is received, some section of the community will passionately decry it as “trash” and another section will shrug it off as being mediocre at best. Halo’s become too diverse at this point to make any one side of the community truly happy.

I also believe they’re confident they’ll get this one “right”, but nervous at the same time.

I remember a thread (not sure if it was here or elsewhere) about DOOM and why can’t 343i do an ID Software DOOM 2016 reboot with Halo. It will have been easier for ID because DOOM never strayed too far from it’s roots, DOOM 3 did but only because they went more survival horror instead of shoot 'em down. Sorry, shameless plug of an excellent Motorhead cover of a Twisted Sister classic.

Like you wrote, Halo has strayed too far or has become too diverse. Even the Discover Hope trailer has split the opinion 2 to 2 in this house. My sons do not like the armour design, my wifes with me but she’s was not sure about the colour and 117 on the chest, but immediately added lighting conditions might be affecting that. All we can hope is that 343i make a good and complete game.

I’m one of the biggest sceptics but my confidence in 343i is growing. I’m still not 100% onboard, but I firmly believe Halo Infinite could be 343i’s DOOM 2016 moment. I hope they are confident, if they’re not, I think the game is doomed before it goes gold, pun intended.

> 2533274917301945;2:
> I believe their original plan was to show stuff off at E3 2020. The fact that they delayed it until July doesn’t seem unreasonable, given that they needed to iron out any kinks they may have had during the last Microsoft 20/20 livestream. I discovered hope with the last E3 trailer and anticipate great things in July. They’ve had two games to learn from mistakes (and note what went well), so it seems statistically unlikely that they can mess this one up too bad.
>
> Keep in mind though, it won’t be Halo 3. It may be better, it may be worse, but it certainly will be different.

I agree 100%.
Plans to be at E3 got cancelled and it got pushed back. I don’t believe there’s anything else at hand. It’s a month away. It’ll be here very soon.

> 2535473509360653;1:
> Guessing that we haven’t seen anything from Halo Infinite from what we already know and seen 343 must be confident that they have a great game on their hands? I mean if they were worried that Halo Infinite would fail would all of you believe that 343 would make that clear? Or is not saying or showing anything at all maybe that 343 could be worried about how Halo Infinite will be received? Thoughts?

That, or it just means that Hi is the most important launch game for XSX and Microsoft. Therefore - and obviously so I might add - the publisher is keeping as much secrecy as possible around the title to encreas curiosity, get more user involvement during the gameplay reveal and enhance the hype train as close as possible to its release. A strategy Spencer was quite open about for at least one and a half years btw. So yeah, or 343i is incredibly self-confident about the game! Or quite more logically speaking it’s just marketing one’o’one. I would put my money on the second option though, just say’n!

TLDR, it doesn’t matter what 343i is thinking. If its a launch title you won’t hear or see much of it until a big event arrives to show it of and boost your hardware sales. :upside_down_face:

I think it’s MS wanting to hold back to use it in their marketing campaign for XSX.

> 2533275031939856;10:
> I think it’s MS wanting to hold back to use it in their marketing campaign for XSX.

^This, thank you! It’s basically the even shorter version if my TLDR statement before and I couldn’t say it better. Heck! You could even edit out the “I think” part out, because you’re 100% right here!

Reason why I don’t understand all those conserned opinions and treads about 343i not showing anything recently… It’s quite obvious to me what MS is doing right now frankly, so beginning for content a few weeks earlier ain’t going to help anyone. :woman_shrugging:

Skully nailed it here, just be a bit more patient ma guys and gurls!

If Halo Infinite is likely to disappoint, it’d be a horrible business strategy to let us know before they have their pre-orders (etc.) secured. Their silence is likely to avoid controversy until they’ve made at least some profit off it.

> 2592250499819446;7:
> > 2533274850869596;4:
> > I don’t doubt they’re confident they’ll get this one “right”, but I also don’t doubt they’re a bit nervous at the same time.
> >
> > With that being said, I again firmly believe that no matter how Infinite is received, some section of the community will passionately decry it as “trash” and another section will shrug it off as being mediocre at best. Halo’s become too diverse at this point to make any one side of the community truly happy.
>
> I also believe they’re confident they’ll get this one “right”, but nervous at the same time.
>
> I remember a thread (not sure if it was here or elsewhere) about DOOM and why can’t 343i do an ID Software DOOM 2016 reboot with Halo. It will have been easier for ID because DOOM never strayed too far from it’s roots, DOOM 3 did but only because they went more survival horror instead of shoot 'em down. Sorry, shameless plug of an excellent Motorhead cover of a Twisted Sister classic.
>
> Like you wrote, Halo has strayed too far or has become too diverse. Even the Discover Hope trailer has split the opinion 2 to 2 in this house. My sons do not like the armour design, my wifes with me but she’s was not sure about the colour and 117 on the chest, but immediately added lighting conditions might be affecting that. All we can hope is that 343i make a good and complete game.
>
> I’m one of the biggest sceptics but my confidence in 343i is growing. I’m still not 100% onboard, but I firmly believe Halo Infinite could be 343i’s DOOM 2016 moment. I hope they are confident, if they’re not then I think the game is doomed before it goes gold, pun intended.

Well it’s not just the art style but the mechanics too. People make a huge fuss over OMFGWTF SPRINT which I still firmly believe they’re making way too big a deal over it (Mountain out of a small mound if you will), and the mere presence of it - even if the rest was Halo 2 down to the letter - would mean “They didn’t listen, Infinite is trash, Halo is dead” right out of the box.

And the people clamoring for a reskin of Halo 2/3? That would mean throwing out everything Reach/4/5 did and alienating the people that DID like those things. Keeping some of them (trying to compromise between the two, like Halo Wars 2 did with art style) would alienate the people insisting it has to be exactly like the original games, and so on.

Keep John like he is in the books? Keep Blue Team around? “Omg that’s not the Halo I remember this sucks now!”

No matter what they do there’s going to be controversy over it and some section of the community crying out about how horrible the game is because their personal list of disliked features made it into the game and/or list of liked features didn’t make it.

> 2533274850869596;13:
> > 2592250499819446;7:
> > > 2533274850869596;4:
> > > I don’t doubt they’re confident they’ll get this one “right”, but I also don’t doubt they’re a bit nervous at the same time.
> > >
> > > With that being said, I again firmly believe that no matter how Infinite is received, some section of the community will passionately decry it as “trash” and another section will shrug it off as being mediocre at best. Halo’s become too diverse at this point to make any one side of the community truly happy.
> >
> > I also believe they’re confident they’ll get this one “right”, but nervous at the same time.
> >
> > I remember a thread (not sure if it was here or elsewhere) about DOOM and why can’t 343i do an ID Software DOOM 2016 reboot with Halo. It will have been easier for ID because DOOM never strayed too far from it’s roots, DOOM 3 did but only because they went more survival horror instead of shoot 'em down. Sorry, shameless plug of an excellent Motorhead cover of a Twisted Sister classic.
> >
> > Like you wrote, Halo has strayed too far or has become too diverse. Even the Discover Hope trailer has split the opinion 2 to 2 in this house. My sons do not like the armour design, my wifes with me but she’s was not sure about the colour and 117 on the chest, but immediately added lighting conditions might be affecting that. All we can hope is that 343i make a good and complete game.
> >
> > I’m one of the biggest sceptics but my confidence in 343i is growing. I’m still not 100% onboard, but I firmly believe Halo Infinite could be 343i’s DOOM 2016 moment. I hope they are confident, if they’re not then I think the game is doomed before it goes gold, pun intended.
>
> Well it’s not just the art style but the mechanics too. People make a huge fuss over OMFGWTF SPRINT which I still firmly believe they’re making way too big a deal over it (Mountain out of a small mound if you will), and the mere presence of it - even if the rest was Halo 2 down to the letter - would mean “They didn’t listen, Infinite is trash, Halo is dead” right out of the box.
>
> And the people clamoring for a reskin of Halo 2/3? That would mean throwing out everything Reach/4/5 did and alienating the people that DID like those things. Keeping some of them (trying to compromise between the two, like Halo Wars 2 did with art style) would alienate the people insisting it has to be exactly like the original games, and so on.
>
> Keep John like he is in the books? Keep Blue Team around? “Omg that’s not the Halo I remember this sucks now!”
>
> No matter what they do there’s going to be controversy over it and some section of the community crying out about how horrible the game is because their personal list of disliked features made it into the game and/or list of liked features didn’t make it.

Ah, yes. The classic, “despite the original trilogy having significant differences between each game, fans of them want the exact same game over and over again”. By that logic, should we not dislike everything after Halo: Combat Evolved?

We want good evolution. Personally, I love the Mythic playlists in Halo 5: Guardians despite (shocker) the gameplay not being lifted from Halo 3.

> 2533274850869596;13:
> Well it’s not just the art style but the mechanics too. People make a huge fuss over OMFGWTF SPRINT which I still firmly believe they’re making way too big a deal over it (Mountain out of a small mound if you will), and the mere presence of it - even if the rest was Halo 2 down to the letter - would mean “They didn’t listen, Infinite is trash, Halo is dead” right out of the box.

It always makes me sad when sombody with considerably less interest—and, by extension, understanding—in a topic I feel very strongly about declares my views an overreaction. Initially, it might be the confident ignorance of the philosophy and historical significance of it, or the careless stereotyping that I find frustrating. But, I mean, that’s just ignorance and easy to forgive. No, the thing that really sucks is the implication that the other person knows better than I do how I should feel. Because that can’t be explained just by benign ignorance.

> 2533274825830455;15:
> > 2533274850869596;13:
> > Well it’s not just the art style but the mechanics too. People make a huge fuss over OMFGWTF SPRINT which I still firmly believe they’re making way too big a deal over it (Mountain out of a small mound if you will), and the mere presence of it - even if the rest was Halo 2 down to the letter - would mean “They didn’t listen, Infinite is trash, Halo is dead” right out of the box.
>
> It always makes me sad when sombody with considerably less interest—and, by extension, understanding—in a topic I feel very strongly about declares my views an overreaction. Initially, it might be the confident ignorance of the philosophy and historical significance of it, or the careless stereotyping that I find frustrating. But, I mean, that’s just ignorance and easy to forgive. No, the thing that really sucks is the implication that the other person knows better than I do how I should feel. Because that can’t be explained just by benign ignorance.

Sorry, I had some recent… Arguments on my mind… When I wrote that. It’s one thing to be passionate about something, but when I was writing this I had comments in mind where the people got very rude and angry towards the people who disagreed. Most of the time when I see Sprinting brought up things break down into heated arguing and sometimes insult-throwing. A recent stream I attended the streamer was happy to be able to Sprint in Halo and several people just started yelling at him for it.

> 2535425271455392;14:
> > 2533274850869596;13:
> > > 2592250499819446;7:
> > > > 2533274850869596;4:
> > > > I don’t doubt they’re confident they’ll get this one “right”, but I also don’t doubt they’re a bit nervous at the same time.
> > > >
> > > > With that being said, I again firmly believe that no matter how Infinite is received, some section of the community will passionately decry it as “trash” and another section will shrug it off as being mediocre at best. Halo’s become too diverse at this point to make any one side of the community truly happy.
> > >
> > > I also believe they’re confident they’ll get this one “right”, but nervous at the same time.
> > >
> > > I remember a thread (not sure if it was here or elsewhere) about DOOM and why can’t 343i do an ID Software DOOM 2016 reboot with Halo. It will have been easier for ID because DOOM never strayed too far from it’s roots, DOOM 3 did but only because they went more survival horror instead of shoot 'em down. Sorry, shameless plug of an excellent Motorhead cover of a Twisted Sister classic.
> > >
> > > Like you wrote, Halo has strayed too far or has become too diverse. Even the Discover Hope trailer has split the opinion 2 to 2 in this house. My sons do not like the armour design, my wifes with me but she’s was not sure about the colour and 117 on the chest, but immediately added lighting conditions might be affecting that. All we can hope is that 343i make a good and complete game.
> > >
> > > I’m one of the biggest sceptics but my confidence in 343i is growing. I’m still not 100% onboard, but I firmly believe Halo Infinite could be 343i’s DOOM 2016 moment. I hope they are confident, if they’re not then I think the game is doomed before it goes gold, pun intended.
> >
> > Well it’s not just the art style but the mechanics too. People make a huge fuss over OMFGWTF SPRINT which I still firmly believe they’re making way too big a deal over it (Mountain out of a small mound if you will), and the mere presence of it - even if the rest was Halo 2 down to the letter - would mean “They didn’t listen, Infinite is trash, Halo is dead” right out of the box.
> >
> > And the people clamoring for a reskin of Halo 2/3? That would mean throwing out everything Reach/4/5 did and alienating the people that DID like those things. Keeping some of them (trying to compromise between the two, like Halo Wars 2 did with art style) would alienate the people insisting it has to be exactly like the original games, and so on.
> >
> > Keep John like he is in the books? Keep Blue Team around? “Omg that’s not the Halo I remember this sucks now!”
> >
> > No matter what they do there’s going to be controversy over it and some section of the community crying out about how horrible the game is because their personal list of disliked features made it into the game and/or list of liked features didn’t make it.
>
> Ah, yes. The classic, “despite the original trilogy having significant differences between each game, fans of them want the exact same game over and over again”. By that logic, should we not dislike everything after Halo: Combat Evolved?
>
> We want good evolution. Personally, I love the Mythic playlists in Halo 5: Guardians despite (shocker) the gameplay not being lifted from Halo 3.

Mythic was aweome yeah, if Infinite’s like that I’d be supremely happy.

Sorry to both of you guys though, I wrote out that post very poorly and let emotions get the better of me.
A lot of times I just wonder though, what exactly makes for ‘good evolution’, since I see a lot of well, mixed opinions on that topic. Especially with 5. I think - correct me if I’m wrong, since I’ve already made a fool of myself once already - that most people didn’t really see Halo 4 overall as an example of that good evolution, but with 5 it was more of a mixed opinions bag?

> 2533274795098161;9:
> > 2535473509360653;1:
> > Guessing that we haven’t seen anything from Halo Infinite from what we already know and seen 343 must be confident that they have a great game on their hands? I mean if they were worried that Halo Infinite would fail would all of you believe that 343 would make that clear? Or is not saying or showing anything at all maybe that 343 could be worried about how Halo Infinite will be received? Thoughts?
>
> That, or it just means that Hi is the most important launch game for XSX and Microsoft. Therefore - and obviously so I might add - the publisher is keeping as much secrecy as possible around the title to encreas curiosity, get more user involvement during the gameplay reveal and enhance the hype train as close as possible to its release. A strategy Spencer was quite open about for at least one and a half years btw. So yeah, or 343i is incredibly self-confident about the game! Or quite more logically speaking it’s just marketing one’o’one. I would put my money on the second option though, just say’n!
>
> TLDR, it doesn’t matter what 343i is thinking. If its a launch title you won’t hear or see much of it until a big event arrives to show it of and boost your hardware sales. :upside_down_face:

That very last part would be great if I could pre-order the game already. However, because we don’t know what Halo Infinite looks like or plays like then what we see during the July event is more than likely what we are going to see in the final product. There isn’t a lot time after July till the game shifts if 343 wants to stay on the 2020 release schedule. Therefore, the beta IF there is one will more than likely be about smaller things like audio and visual bugs.

Personally, I would of already wanted to pre-order Infinite so if I didn’t like what I see in July I could just cancel the preorder. Then again, I could just opt to not to buy Halo Infinite at all if I was let down by the July reveal.

Either way it’s day one buy for me currently because we are almost at the end of the journey.

> 2533274850869596;13:
> [CUT]And the people clamoring for a reskin of Halo 2/3? That would mean throwing out everything Reach/4/5 did and alienating the people that DID like those things. Keeping some of them (trying to compromise between the two, like Halo Wars 2 did with art style) would alienate the people insisting it has to be exactly like the original games, and so on.
> [CUT]

Who are those people? Who is claiming they just want a H2/3 reskin? That everything must be like the original Halo in every shape or from? Do they even exist on the Halo Infinite tread? I’m questioning this statement, because since HW2 released I started to be quite active on Waypoint. That was a few years back nkw, but I still have to meet this mythological figure proudly declaring “I want the exact recreation of Halo 3”. I hear arguments about using X Halo title as a starting point of cours, and that includes Halo 5 as a side note, I never read about an user writing down “exact copy”, “reskin”, “identical gameplay” or any other form of synonymous statement used in an affirmative manner though.

Could you point out a bunch of comments disputing such feelings? Can you link me a few user statements that wrote “I want a reskin” or something among those lines? Certainly if you feel so strongly about this, there must be more than just one outlier, right? If not I sadly have to assume you’re just ignoring our points and on top of that refrain to our opinions in an overly conceit yet utterly wrong manner on purpose.

Because sure, there are enough people that believe there is no value in compromise when it comes to sprint specifically, but that’s a far cry from what you were claiming in the first half of this post and honestly I’m starting to get quite annoyed about this attitude of just pushing opposing opinions on the side walk. I understand someone made you angry beforehand during a heated argument? But you’re not achieving anything by leaching out and trumpling on others arguments either my mate!

343 got that confidence

Well over confidence is like a double edged sword…it can be good or bad.
Basically mean’s it can either end up being either ‘worst case scenario’, which can hurt their rep further if they’ve bragging or it could mean they’ve done something right, deserve to brag a bit. Though regardless of good/bad dev’s…they do need positive encouragement since it helps them grow, build confidence for themselves…as long as they learn to not let it go to their head due to overconfidence can make some dev’s think they can do no wrong.

I’ve learnt from 343i is to take ‘ego boosting’ with grain of salt, just wait before jumping to conclusions since I’ve been disappointed with 4,5 and I’ve yet to be proven that 343i can make a good FPS so far but that doesn’t mean they can’t, I want them to succeed in making a good one.