343i, Your Sprint Poll Was Wrong

A poll from GoldOwllover has shown that 80% of people on this site actually want Classic gameplay (ie Halo 1-3) back. The link is here:
https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/90a6869bcf944c54a17102ac9e31da1a/topics/classic-halo-or-new-halo/77b8b4a2-d547-46a8-96a8-1377dda868b0/posts
The sprint poll was biased from the start, being available only to a select group of fans who mostly came into it having been introduced into the series by Halo 5 and thus had mostly liked its gameplay. For more on that, here’s a YouTube video by Wpns Grade on the subject:

Anyway, by the small chance you’re listening, will you be bringing classic… no, real Halo gameplay back in Infinite? It’d be cool if I got a response. And please for the love of God, don’t try and “unite” us with a mix of modern and classic Halo playlists… you only have finite resources, and pouring such into both styles will make them both suffer.

Erm. Some random poll buried in the polling section of this site that doesn’t get a lot of traffic absolutely pales in comparison to the data and surveys that 343 collects.

Polls on this site really mean nothing, honestly.

Polls on this site mean nothing. Poles in general are honestly pointless if you have 50,000 people but only 1,000 people even bother with the pole and 80% want one thing that number doesn’t help anyone except that out of those 1,000 people 800 liked one thing.

> 2535462450434439;3:
> Polls on this site mean nothing. Poles in general are honestly pointless if you have 50,000 people but only 1,000 people even bother with the pole and 80% want one thing that number doesn’t help anyone except that out of those 1,000 people 800 liked one thing.

So why are we on HaloWaypoint and discuss if nothing of this stuff will get marked?

> 2533274796457055;2:
> Erm. Some random poll buried in the polling section of this site that doesn’t get a lot of traffic absolutely pales in comparison to the data and surveys that 343 collects.
>
> Polls on this site really mean nothing, honestly.

Is say that’s incorrect statement sprint was more game breaking then ever the fact 343 has done its own poll witch caters to new halo fans and proves they don’t listen to the vast posts from classic halo fans regardless if its a poll a post ECT. The facts are most fans don’t jump on halo waypoint they simply wait and play it buy ear those that do are the ones not listen to. Sprint needs to be removed period classic gameplay needs to return

> 2533274861263132;4:
> > 2535462450434439;3:
> > Polls on this site mean nothing. Poles in general are honestly pointless if you have 50,000 people but only 1,000 people even bother with the pole and 80% want one thing that number doesn’t help anyone except that out of those 1,000 people 800 liked one thing.
>
> So why are we on HaloWaypoint and discuss if nothing of this stuff will get marked?

Simple to state feedback and give feedback to the devs. Aside from talking about former games or what will be in the newer halo games. The fact is its to provide feedback for the devs to be given the experience desired in game. The fact is we do it cause were passionate about the game. And its definitely not cause were self entitled. But mainly cause we want the devs to go the right direction and share in our passion for halo

> 2533274861263132;4:
> > 2535462450434439;3:
> > Polls on this site mean nothing. Poles in general are honestly pointless if you have 50,000 people but only 1,000 people even bother with the pole and 80% want one thing that number doesn’t help anyone except that out of those 1,000 people 800 liked one thing.
>
> So why are we on HaloWaypoint and discuss if nothing of this stuff will get marked?

Everyone’s motive is different. Honestly for me it’s a way to try and give back to the great community Halo is and help new people out answer questions people may have and just get more halo in my life.
though why I’m here may different than you or someone else.

You are aware there are those of us who have been with the series from the beginning and like Halo 5’s core mechanics (sprint included), right? Implying that there is some sort of grand conspiracy played out by 343 to try and justify sprinting is absurd. How 343 goes about making Halo:Infinite can’t be decided by forum polls. As pointed out by snickerdoodle, the sample size of forum polls is insignificant next to the actual size of the community. HaloWaypoint is a cool hub for the community to discuss their favorite game series and give feedback to the devs, but it isn’t the law (only Sylvester Stallone is).

I do agree that Halo:Infinite should focus on one game style (classic or modern) and stick with that. Halo:Jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none Edition is something no one in the community wants.

> 2533274870884222;8:
> You are aware there are those of us who have been with the series from the beginning and like Halo 5’s core mechanics (sprint included), right? Implying that there is some sort of grand conspiracy played out by 343 to try and justify sprinting is absurd. How 343 goes about making Halo:Infinite can’t be decided by forum polls. As pointed out by snickerdoodle, the sample size of forum polls is insignificant next to the actual size of the community. HaloWaypoint is a cool hub for the community to discuss their favorite game series and give feedback to the devs, but it isn’t the law (only Sylvester Stallone is).

My sentimentes exactly. Not to mention that poll isn’t even structured properly to be able to draw OP’s desired results.

• First (and perhaps most glaring), Reach had sprint and yet it was lumped into “the classic,” category. - Second the poll doesn’t even cover sprint at all, rather it’s talking about each aspect of all of those games; including the campaign, character development, character interaction, action scenes, music, tone, themes, MP maps, armor design and customization, game types, etc etc… In retrospect gameplay mechanic preference couldn’t be gleaned through that poll. - Third problem is the nostalgia effect. By definition nostalgia means, “a wistful or excessively sentimental yearning for return to or of some past period or irrecoverable condition.” Each Halo game was great in its own way, but their time as being “the current Halo,” is now a thing of the past. But the question in the poll doesn’t even touch on which type of Halo that fans would like to see in the future, it just differentiates between whether fans preferred Bungie’s Halo games or 343s Halo games; which by design allows for reflection and nostalgia to seep through in the responses. - Which leads me to my final point- The poll asks whether players prefer Bungie or 343i games. No matter what Bungie’s not coming back to create another Halo game. So no matter what the gameplay mechanics are in Halo Infinite it’ll still be a 343i Halo game anyway.It really just appears that OP and a few others are trying to wage a movement to influence the developers to change Halo’s future gameplay to suit their personal preference (See quote below). I really don’t view Waypoint as a venue to try to instigate developers to make Halo the way that I want it to be. Rather to me it’s a place where fellow fans come together to discuss Halo with each other.

> The fact is its to provide feedback for the devs to be given the experience desired in game

There are multiple flaws with the Waypoint poll here, OP.

1. You cannot base your results on a single poll on Waypoint which is absolutely no reflection of the Halo population at all (just a small portion of it).

2. Halo Reach had sprint and armor abilities despite the fact that it was grouped as a classic Halo game.

3. How does a poll on classic gameplay tie directly into sprint? If the poll didn’t ask for an opinion on sprint then you cannot assume what people think about sprint.

I’m not going into the validity of 343’s polls, but I can say that nobody can speak for the Waypoint poll. We have no idea who the audience is and the poll has nothing to do with sprint. I think it is important to be as non-biased as possible when talking about these things.

> 2535430289047128;1:
> A poll from GoldOwllover has shown that 80% of people on this site actually want Classic gameplay (ie Halo 1-3) back. The link is here:
> https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/90a6869bcf944c54a17102ac9e31da1a/topics/classic-halo-or-new-halo/77b8b4a2-d547-46a8-96a8-1377dda868b0/posts

If you want cherry picked data we can do that.
1. 2. 3.4.5.
Waypoint polls aren’t ever going to be truly useful for gathering any correlational data (and no poll is ever going to be useful for making causal connections.) There are no controls in place to deal with socks, bias, or even attempt to do so. There isn’t even a way to know how many people actually voted, so no ‘n’ or “N” = No stats in this case. While most polls are going to have a degree of self-selection bias, waypoint would be far worse than most as we’re a fraction of the internet community devoted to halo, who are but a fraction of the people who actually play Halo. Combine that with the fact the poll section doesn’t get a whole lot of traffic and we’re limiting ourselves a lot.

> The sprint poll was biased from the start, being available only to a select group of fans who mostly came into it having been introduced into the series by Halo 5 and thus had mostly liked its gameplay.

Source? You’re making some pretty hefty claims about the population of the poll. I assume you have some evidence to back it up? You’re claiming that this poll that can’t even be used to gather data is better than one created and run by trained professionals with actual knowledge of statistics and in how to create and implement such measures? You could also link the data to the poll your talking about…it’d certainly help if we could read through and evaluate the data for ourselves.

> For more on that, here’s a YouTube video by Wpns Grade on the subject:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Je5RzqyPdNI

Ah, if there is anything convincing it’s a youtuber! Oh wait, it isn’t. Some cat with a webcam isn’t going to convince anyone of anything. Present some actual data.

> Anyway, by the small chance you’re listening, will you be bringing classic… no, real Halo gameplayback in Infinite? It’d be cool if I got a response. And please for the love of God, don’t try and “unite” us with a mix of modern and classic Halo playlists… you only have finite resources, and pouring such into both styles will make them both suffer.

No hint of bias there.

> 2533274848833728;5:
> Is say that’s incorrect statement sprint was more game breaking then ever the fact 343 has done its own poll

I think you’re claiming that waypoint polls are useful? They aren’t. Or are you claiming that 343 running a poll is proof that sprint is game breaking? The latter doesn’t follow and if you really want to discuss sprint there is a thread for that linked in my signature.

> witch caters to new halo fans

Which* How does this poll cater to new halo fans? I’m curious.

> and proves they don’t listen to the vast posts from classic halo fans regardless if its a poll a post ECT. The facts are most fans don’t jump on halo waypoint they simply wait and play it buy ear those that do are the ones not listen to.

I’ll agree most people that play halo aren’t on waypoint or any internet fan site. The vast majority never make it to these hallowed halls. Why do you presume to know what they want, when they literally don’t come to the internet to voice their opinions on the subject? Source please.

This topic is touching on quite a few areas, all of which have relevant megathreads that have been discussing this stuff for a while. Rather than see this turn into another Sprint thread or ‘Classic vs. Modern’, I’ll leave a few links below to the megathreads I mentioned.

Halo 5 Population discussion thread:
https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/6e35355aecdf4fd0acdaee3cc4156fd4/topics/halo-5-population-discussion-thread/f56a5d71-6ec3-4df8-99dd-2ead7d16b5fd/posts?page=1
Sprint Discussion thread:
https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/6e35355aecdf4fd0acdaee3cc4156fd4/topics/the-sprint-discussion-thread/65b90d3b-03bd-48fa-ae0d-5427f4fbe512/posts
The return of classic mechanics
https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/29568daf8cd14083bd1b70a810bf3581/topics/the-return-of-classic-movement-mechanics/dbb9e311-d2f8-48b5-9826-259bffe75cac/posts