343i should add community content skins...

I kind of brought this up before (a long time ago) but I want to talk about it some more.

Halo has a massive community of talented people who can do many impressive things. I think a neat thing to do would let individuals from the community create custom content that can be updated and added into the game.

Such as weapon/armor skins.

I am thinking a several cycle event where 343i selects a large group of armor and weapon skins made by us that are then voted on by the community to be put into the game. The people who made them would get recognition for their work and it enhances the customization options users have.

Maybe even go as far to let the winners dictate the terms of how to unlock the skins.

Never give the public access to make their own creations… Black Ops, Army of Two: TFD, etc.

THAT SOUNDS AWESOME

it would even be possible to make a browser based skin editor so that people could design skins, then send them in to 343

> never give the public access to make their own creations… Black Ops, Army of Two: TFD, etc.

I see that as a terrible waste of talent and innovation for the community.

If you read my thread also these designs would first be selected in a batch byb 343i (lets say 30 skins for armor and 30 skins for weapons). Then the community votes for the top 10 to make it in the game.

Kind of like a little competition that inspires people to work hard to make something neat for the game.

There would not be anything inappropriate.

I know that square enix made one fan-made costume a free download on the marketplace for Final Fantasy 13-2. I think it’s a good idea.

> > never give the public access to make their own creations… Black Ops, Army of Two: TFD, etc.
>
> I see that as a terrible waste of talent and innovation for the community.
>
> If you read my thread also these designs would first be selected in a batch byb 343i (lets say 30 skins for armor and 30 skins for weapons). Then the community votes for the top 10 to make it in the game.
>
> Kind of like a little competition that inspires people to work hard to make something neat for the game.
>
> There would not be anything inappropriate.

Even if it were watched as closely as you would like, 343 would not be able to add things like this into the game, unless it was built to accept submissions as such.
It’s too much work to only allow small ammounts of change. For the ammount of time and resources they would put in to make this funtional, they might as well make it a public feature.

Being a public feature it would be a huge selling point for the game… and then fall into chaos under the community’s perversion.

> > > never give the public access to make their own creations… Black Ops, Army of Two: TFD, etc.
> >
> > I see that as a terrible waste of talent and innovation for the community.
> >
> > If you read my thread also these designs would first be selected in a batch byb 343i (lets say 30 skins for armor and 30 skins for weapons). Then the community votes for the top 10 to make it in the game.
> >
> > Kind of like a little competition that inspires people to work hard to make something neat for the game.
> >
> > There would not be anything inappropriate.
>
> Even if it were watched as closely as you would like, 343 would not be able to add things like this into the game, unless it was built to accept submissions as such.
> <mark>It’s too much work</mark> to only allow small ammounts of change. For the ammount of time and resources they would put in to make this funtional, <mark>they might as well make it a public feature.</mark>
>
> Being a public feature it would be a huge selling point for the game… and then fall into chaos under the community’s perversion.

Mighty big assumptions.

> > > never give the public access to make their own creations… Black Ops, Army of Two: TFD, etc.
> >
> > I see that as a terrible waste of talent and innovation for the community.
> >
> > If you read my thread also these designs would first be selected in a batch byb 343i (lets say 30 skins for armor and 30 skins for weapons). Then the community votes for the top 10 to make it in the game.
> >
> > Kind of like a little competition that inspires people to work hard to make something neat for the game.
> >
> > There would not be anything inappropriate.
>
> Even if it were watched as closely as you would like, 343 would not be able to add things like this into the game, unless it was built to accept submissions as such.
> It’s too much work to only allow small ammounts of change. For the ammount of time and resources they would put in to make this funtional, they might as well make it a public feature.
>
> Being a public feature it would be a huge selling point for the game… and then fall into chaos under the community’s perversion.

You could add it in the customization window.

It is not that much work when you consider that the fans are directly contributing to the game and using their skins in digital media to create new and exciting in game content for other players to enjoy for years to come.

There is no feature or anything, people submit the designs to 343i using various media to create skins.

As much as I would like a feature like that, it is far too late to incorporate it and it would probably be easier for 343i to just insert the new image files into the game.

I, personally, don’t like the idea. They would have to make the community skins free as it wouldn’t be morally just to sell someone else’s creations. That, alone, negates the skins that 343i will no undoubtedly be selling in the future as there would be hundreds of free community ones that are just as good.

The Halo Community has forge to show their creativity. Considering Halo is a military/sci-fi FPS and not a “LittleBigPlanet”-esque game, I think that’s pretty good.

You have to understand they would’nt even alot a month for a public beta test. They would’nt have time to make such and underused feature.

> You have to understand they would’nt even alot a month for a public beta test. They would’nt have time to make such and underused feature.

THERE IS NO FEATURE

I can’t stress this enough. You can make skins and designs without a pre-made in game feature. I am talking about using tools like Gimp, Photoshop, Paint, etc to make new digital content that can applied over armor and weapons.

> I, personally, don’t like the idea. They would have to make the community skins free as it wouldn’t be morally just to sell someone else’s creations. That, alone, negates <mark>the skins that 343i will no undoubtedly be selling in the future</mark> as there would be hundreds of free community ones that are just as good.
>
> The Halo Community has forge to show their creativity. Considering Halo is a military/sci-fi FPS and not a “LittleBigPlanet”-esque game, I think that’s pretty good.

I doubt they will sell skins; unless, it comes along side a map pack or something. Who would buy skins? Big waste of consumer’s money if you ask me.

I’d just like to be able to make my own skin… but of course, that wouldn’t be allowed, as 343i caves to the absurd philosophy that a small amount of stupid, immature, disgusting people should ruin everything creative for everyone else.

Here’s a brilliant idea! If you see something that you consider disturbing or “offensive” IGNORE IT.

> THERE IS NO FEATURE
>
> I can’t stress this enough. You can make skins and designs without a pre-made in game feature. I am talking about using tools like Gimp, Photoshop, Paint, etc to make new digital content that can applied over armor and weapons.

Not a feature for us to make them, a feature for them to implement it. They could’nt just roll out a quick update with random community skins ingame. This is the same reason they never added armor to the game after launch.

> > I, personally, don’t like the idea. They would have to make the community skins free as it wouldn’t be morally just to sell someone else’s creations. That, alone, negates <mark>the skins that 343i will no undoubtedly be selling in the future</mark> as there would be hundreds of free community ones that are just as good.
> >
> > The Halo Community has forge to show their creativity. Considering Halo is a military/sci-fi FPS and not a “LittleBigPlanet”-esque game, I think that’s pretty good.
>
> I doubt they will sell skins; unless, it comes along side a map pack or something. Who would buy skins? Big waste of consumer’s money if you ask me.

Exactly, Epic did this for GOW3 and it was really dumb.

Wouldn’t it be exciting to submit custom content that YOU created that could make it into the game.

Wouldn’t YOU like to contribute to Halo 4 in a way every player can enjoy?

It would be a great use of the communities talent and I think people would respect 343i 100x more knowing they are letting the community have this opportunity.

> You have to understand they would’nt even alot a month for a public beta test. They would’nt have time to make such and underused feature.

A public Beta is 20x more difficult to implement, not to mention they would have 20x more time post-launch to do something like what the OP suggested

> > THERE IS NO FEATURE
> >
> > I can’t stress this enough. You can make skins and designs without a pre-made in game feature. I am talking about using tools like Gimp, Photoshop, Paint, etc to make new digital content that can applied over armor and weapons.
>
> Not a feature for us to make them, a feature for them to implement it. They could’nt just roll out a quick update with random community skins ingame. This is the same reason they never added armor to the game after launch.

Cough Halo Waypoint armour Cough

> > THERE IS NO FEATURE
> >
> > I can’t stress this enough. You can make skins and designs without a pre-made in game feature. I am talking about using tools like Gimp, Photoshop, Paint, etc to make new digital content that can applied over armor and weapons.
>
> Not a feature for us to make them, a feature for them to implement it. They could’nt just roll out a quick update with random community skins ingame. This is the same reason they never added armor to the game after launch.

Well actually you can update armor and things into the game like you can update maps into the game. The reason you couldn’t do it in Reach was because of the cut scenes dependent on what armor you were wearing.

It is possible to add and manipulate files into the game and this isn’t something I would think 343i would do once a week or a month.

I think this would be a thing maybe 3 or 4 times a year, to accumulate and cote on new content.

> > You have to understand they would’nt even alot a month for a public beta test. They would’nt have time to make such and underused feature.
>
> A public Beta is 20x more difficult to implement, not to mention they would have 20x more time <mark>post-launch</mark> to do something like what the OP suggested

Implying it is added to the next game in the cycle. I don’t doubt they could do it for Halo 5, but I don’t think it’s practical.

> > > I, personally, don’t like the idea. They would have to make the community skins free as it wouldn’t be morally just to sell someone else’s creations. That, alone, negates <mark>the skins that 343i will no undoubtedly be selling in the future</mark> as there would be hundreds of free community ones that are just as good.
> > >
> > > The Halo Community has forge to show their creativity. Considering Halo is a military/sci-fi FPS and not a “LittleBigPlanet”-esque game, I think that’s pretty good.
> >
> > I doubt they will sell skins; unless, it comes along side a map pack or something. Who would buy skins? Big waste of consumer’s money if you ask me.
>
> Exactly, Epic did this for GOW3 and it was really dumb.
>
> Wouldn’t it be exciting to submit custom content that YOU created that could make it into the game.
>
> Wouldn’t YOU like to contribute to Halo 4 in a way every player can enjoy?
>
> It would be a great use of the communities talent and I think people would respect 343i 100x more knowing they are letting the community have this opportunity.

Do you really think Epic wanted to sell the skins? Sure, it was dumb. But it worked. Here, let’s try a brainteaser. What does Epic and 343i have in common? I’ll give you a hint. It starts with M and ends in icrosoft.

Yes, that would be exciting. looks at Forge

Yes, I would like to contribute to Halo 4 in a way every player can enjoy. looks at Forge