343i: Requesting better matching by skill

By far my biggest disappointment in both H3 and Reach has been the lack of an effective system for matching people based on skill. How it’s done is irrelevant to me. All I know is that whenever I play MM games the skill levels tend to be all over the map.

I’ve accepted that I’ll never be very good, and I’ll attribute it (rightly or wrongly) to the fact that I didn’t start playing video games until I was in my 50s. Okay, so I suck, but I love the game and would really enjoy playing a lot more if I could play against people whose skills are comparable to mine. All too often I find myself in a game where one to three people dominate the game while the rest of use just get killed a lot. I was in a game the other day with an MLG player, for God’s sakes, and I have a K/D ratio of 0.66. I think the second highest score was 15 kills, and the game didn’t last all that long.

343’s motivation for addressing this seems pretty obvious to me. Most people who aren’t very good, and many who can’t get good quickly, play the campaign, try MM for a while, but then get discouraged because they’re getting their butts handed to them all the time, so they sell the game and stop playing. Online play generates revenues from Xbox Live, so there is a financial incentive to keep even people such as myself playing.

I don’t want games dumbed down for people like me, I just want a matching system that matches me with people against whom I stand a chance.

If this just isn’t going to happen (and I don’t have much hope it will), then at least give us more Firefight maps, because that what many of us who suck at MM end up playing.

I’m posting this in the Halo 4 forum, but is really applies to every game.

Also, the “Good Time” option is broken. I select it, and I’m the only one trying to have a good time for BOTH teams.

Actually there is an entire very complicated and mandatory system called trueskill that matches you based on your TS rank from 1-50, it tends to work fairly well with most games ending 48-50 or so all else being equal, indicating a fairly even match. Where it falls down is when people are gaming the system with shenanigans like making a new XBL account every month so they can steamroll noobs for a hundred games or so until the system starts matching them properly again, and then they just rinse and repeat. Or people party boosting with wildly differing skill levels. Or a myriad of other things. But its 90% people pulling shenanigans when it mismatches you. Youll get a genuine bad match if there arnt enough people in the playlist.

oh and the psych options seem to do diddly squat and i honestly dont know why they exist. Same with the official gamer zone feature, makes no difference.

Trueskill is working, except there are a lot of bad players than there are good ones. No i am talking about 1.30 or higher, i am talking .60 and below.

Psych profile settings don’t really work because i end up with quiet people no matter what settings i use.

Yeah, someone always goes on about TrueSkill and how well it works, except that it obviously isn’t working very well. The people I’m talking about who are dominating the games I’m in often have hundreds or thousands of games, so they aren’t experienced players with new accounts.

What may be happening is that matchmaking gives up trying to find people of comparable skill and fills in the match with people of any skill, but I’d rather wait. If it can find five or six people it can take another minute to find two or three more. I’d love to explain to the people who programmed in the time limit that I’m well aware of the fact that I’m going to wait longer for games if I use the “skill” option for creating matches. If I cared about the time I wouldn’t use the option. Duh.

If it gives up and adds two or three players who are really good just to fill up the playlist, what’s the point of having the skill option in the first place? I tend to play FFA games because I don’t want to drag a team down, and I’d rather be in a FFA game with five or six people than eight if two or three of the eight are just going to kick everyone else’s butt.

Really, “match by skill” should mean “match by skill.” No exceptions. No excuses. If it causes me to wait too long I’ll stop using the option, but then it will be my choice.

> Actually there is an entire very complicated and mandatory system called trueskill that matches you based on your TS rank from 1-50, it tends to work fairly well with most games ending 48-50 or so all else being equal, indicating a fairly even match. Where it falls down is when people are gaming the system with shenanigans like making a new XBL account every month so they can steamroll noobs for a hundred games or so until the system starts matching them properly again, and then they just rinse and repeat. Or people party boosting with wildly differing skill levels. Or a myriad of other things. But its 90% people pulling shenanigans when it mismatches you. Youll get a genuine bad match if there arnt enough people in the playlist.

This is exactly what happens (save for Halo:Reach, who knows what went on there). The system in H3 was great but the players are what caused the anomalies.

Honestly if youre .60 KD then that is significantly below average id say, putting you in a minority. From there its a case of theres so few people of your skill level vs so many more average and above people, so youre going to get what youre seeing anyway unless you improve. Its maths.