343i, Please No More Quick Time Events

Quick Time Events are so lame…

In Halo 4, at the end… we’re given a Quick Time Event against the Didact.
That was probably the most biggest disappointment for me in that game.

Sure, the Didact is way too OP for a boss battle…
But I think the scene would have just been better overall if it stayed as a cutscene.
To have the game end in a “Call of Duty style” via a Quick Time Event brought a palm to my face.

Please, don’t do this crap anymore 343i. Not to Halo.

The Didact QTE didn’t bother me so much. IIRC it was after a pretty challenging battle (challenging on legendary, anyway).

@OP how do you feel about QTEs like in the beginning of H4 (climbing up elevator shaft dodging debris)? Should it stay or go?

In all my years of gaming, I’ve yet come across a QTE, in any game, that actually improved the cinamatic experience. For me, QTEs only break immersion, the exact opposite of their intended purpose.

> 2533274825044752;2:
> The Didact QTE didn’t bother me so much. IIRC it was after a pretty challenging battle (challenging on legendary, anyway).
>
> @OP how do you feel about QTEs like in the beginning of H4 (climbing up elevator shaft dodging debris)? Should it stay or go?

QTE are crap. Because of them we did not have theater mode in campaign.

> 2533274832788623;1:
> Quick Time Events are so lame…
>
> In Halo 4, at the end… we’re given a Quick Time Event against the Didact.
> That was probably the most biggest disappointment for me in that game.
>
> Sure, the Didact is way too OP for a boss battle…
> But I think the scene would have just been better overall if it stayed as a cutscene.
> To have the game end in a “Call of Duty style” via a Quick Time Event brought a palm to my face.
>
> Please, don’t do this crap anymore 343i. Not to Halo.

You kidding me Punching a prophet over and over is ok but some quick prompts are killing it.

God people are so vapid

The QTE events in halo 4 were very well done well done.

I admit the Boss battle of the didact could have been better. More options, longer fight. But the over all experience was not a bad one id much prefer, to actually play something that can be played then to sit beck and watch a “movie”

Agreed… QTE are just so annoying. I remember playing Halo 4 for the first time and coming up to the end with the Didact, you start running at the Didact press a button to place the pulse grenade into his chest… And really? Why did his chest even open?! Click this link to see what I mean… and then The Didact go flying of the bridge… I was thinking they can not be it right? He will come back any second now and happy slap John just like he did moment before, it really killed the whole ending for me really.

Yay! Someone else hates the quick time events. They are frustratingly boring and I hate them. I have to agree, please don’t do this again 343!

<mark>Do not flame/attack others.</mark>

> 2533274796029854;5:
> > 2533274832788623;1:
> > Quick Time Events are so lame…
> >
> > In Halo 4, at the end… we’re given a Quick Time Event against the Didact.
> > That was probably the most biggest disappointment for me in that game.
> >
> > Sure, the Didact is way too OP for a boss battle…
> > But I think the scene would have just been better overall if it stayed as a cutscene.
> > To have the game end in a “Call of Duty style” via a Quick Time Event brought a palm to my face.
> >
> > Please, don’t do this crap anymore 343i. Not to Halo.
>
>
> You kidding me Punching a prophet over and over is ok but some quick prompts are killing it.
>
> God people are so vapid
>
> The QTE events in halo 4 were very well done well done.
>
> I admit the Boss battle of the didact could have been better. More options, longer fight. But the over all experience was not a bad one id much prefer, to actually play something that can be played then to sit beck and watch a “movie”

And are we so raw that we need to call people “vapid” over what is essentially personal preference?

Dismounts proverbial high horse

The Halo 4 QTEs were fairly well done, I’ll give you that. And there weren’t enough of them to become an annoyance, but If the game wants to show me something cinematic, I’d prefer it if it’d just let me appreciate it as such without shoving an unnecessary button promt in my face.

But that’s just what I prefer, you invertibrate -Yoink–bag goat–Yoinking!- -Yoink–sniffing, sucker of the most unholy -Yoink- rags, you.

And I -Yoinked!- your mother :stuck_out_tongue:

> 2533274870958311;8:
> > 2533274796029854;5:
> > > 2533274832788623;1:
> > > Quick Time Events are so lame…
> > >
> > > In Halo 4, at the end… we’re given a Quick Time Event against the Didact.
> > > That was probably the most biggest disappointment for me in that game.
> > >
> > > Sure, the Didact is way too OP for a boss battle…
> > > But I think the scene would have just been better overall if it stayed as a cutscene.
> > > To have the game end in a “Call of Duty style” via a Quick Time Event brought a palm to my face.
> > >
> > > Please, don’t do this crap anymore 343i. Not to Halo.
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > You kidding me Punching a prophet over and over is ok but some quick prompts are killing it.
> >
> > God people are so vapid
> >
> > The QTE events in halo 4 were very well done well done.
> >
> > I admit the Boss battle of the didact could have been better. More options, longer fight. But the over all experience was not a bad one id much prefer, to actually play something that can be played then to sit beck and watch a “movie”
>
>
> And are we so raw that we need to call people “vapid” over what is essentially personal preference?
>
> Dismounts proverbial high horse
>
> The Halo 4 QTEs were fairly well done, I’ll give you that. And there weren’t enough of them to become an annoyance, but If the game wants to show me something cinematic, I’d prefer it if it’d just let me appreciate it as such without shoving an unnecessary button promt in my face.
>
> But that’s just what I prefer, you invertibrate -Yoink–bag goat–Yoinking!- -Yoink–sniffing, sucker of the most unholy -Yoink- rags, you.
>
> And I -Yoinked!- your mother :stuck_out_tongue:

The Vapid comment was referring to the COD comment
Because those arguments have become lifeless and pointless

As for the halo 4 QTE The game is not trying to show you anything cinematic at the time of the QTEs they are trying to immerse you in whats happening at the time, I agree there might be an easier less “jarring” way for the prompts to happen

Games often have way to many cutscenes
Sure they could have Had the cut scene during the elevator portion or you can feel the rush and adrenalin that come with trying to avoid getting knocked down.
IM not sure how they should have handled the Didact fight, personally i would like more in depth boss fight that take strategy, but that’s me

I have to agree. I’m not a big fan of QTE’s but something just felt empty on that final battle against Didact.

I agree QTE’s should go.

I don’t mind them if Chief is actually doing something practical like climbing up a vent or something. I don’t, however, want to see them substitute boss battles. If you’re going to establish a battle between Chief and the Didact, actually have them fight in gameplay. I don’t care if Chief couldn’t possibly win; actually fighting the Didact would have been much more engaging than mashing buttons during a cinematic.

There were many things that made the Halo 4 campaign suck. Quick time events were among the leading causes

> 2533274929494620;12:
> I don’t mind them if Chief is actually doing something practical like climbing up a vent or something. I don’t, however, want to see them substitute boss battles. If you’re going to establish a battle between Chief and the Didact, actually have them fight in gameplay. I don’t care if Chief couldn’t possibly win; actually fighting the Didact would have been much more engaging than mashing buttons during a cinematic.

Put simply, Halo 4 was just a cheap game. They must have considered the idea of a boss battle (how couldn’t they) but in order to cut costs decided it was cheaper to make it a QTE instead

Because Spartan Lasering 343 Guilty Spark was so immersive.

I don’t mind QTEs so long as they are spaced out significantly. Not in every cut scene.

I didn’t mind the QTE’s in Halo 4 at all. I think the final encounter with the Didact in Halo 4 simply needed a little more “oomph” to end in a high-note. It would have been awesome if that QTE involved the MC punching the Didact and then Spartan kicking him off the ledge instead of the underwhelming grenade to the chest.

> 2533274870958311;3:
> In all my years of gaming, I’ve yet come across a QTE, in any game, that actually improved the cinamatic experience. For me, QTEs only break immersion, the exact opposite of their intended purpose.

My sentiments exactly.

> 2533274803493024;15:
> Because Spartan Lasering 343 Guilty Spark was so immersive.
>
> I don’t mind QTEs so long as they are spaced out significantly. Not in every cut scene.

Bungie really failed to create an interesting boss from Guilty Spark. I think they simply gave up and made his ‘battle’ an interactive cinematic (although not a QTE). Even after having given him lasers and a force-field! The least they could have done is given Spark more weaponry, allowed him to call in heavy Sentinel variants and have created a more climatic tone.

Given the Didact’s arsenal, fighting the him would have been much more compelling than fighting Spark. I actually think 343 Industries could have created a boss battle from him, despite the fact that he overwhelms the chief. All they would have had to do was increase the size of the hardlight platform and allow Chief to shoot at him. This would give the Didact more room to charge at the Chief and throw him about in realtime. When Chief comes close to death, the rampant copies of personality would momentarily subdue him and Chief would be given the opportunity to use explosive weapons against him to blast him off!

It’s the perfect combination of destroying the Pillar of Autumn’s engines in Halo: CE and destroying 343 Guilty Spark in Halo 3. The only part I would worry about is the gameplay detracting from the drama. But perhaps the Didact’s introduction and the first instance of Cortana trapping the DIdact could have been rendered as a cinematic, while the rest would be gameplay.

To call the QTE in halo 4 bad is ignorant. They had…2? You have to admit the elevator climbing was awesome dodging debris and then the elite comes out of no where. Then the ending it wasnt bad or great. it didn’t add or take away from the experience. what was bad about 2 QTE?

The first QTE was pretty fun and I had to go back and play it again to see what would happen if I didn’t dodge the debris haha

I also a free that the final fight with Didact was lacking in a way. Didact and others will be back in H5 so hopefully they give us an awesome fight and then maybe maybe the one QTE to finish someone off, but not on the COD scale of 2 minutes of QTE to defeat final boss, or entire campaign of QTEs…

Overall, the highly minimal use of QTE was good, bu ultimately not my favorite way of playing.